Meeting the Queen

Fire Made Flesh

Wheein and a few of her fellow ex-slaves, stood in line waiting for an audience with the new Queen.  They’re here to plead for Byulyi’s freedom.

 

Wheein thought back to the past week, since that fateful day.

 

Byulyi’s scream will be something she will never forget.  

 

On that day, the moment Wheein snaps her collar close on her neck, she froze in fear as the soldiers broke down their door.

 

It wasn’t until a crash, and Byulyi screaming in pain that she snapped out of her fear and ran towards her friend - just in time to see one of the soldier standing over her.  Byulyi was laying on the floor with a blade sticking out of her shoulder; the soldier standing with his sword ready to strike.

 

“STOP!” 

 

The soldier paused, looking at who just screamed.

 

“Don’t kill her, please”

 

“Wheein -” Byulyi wheeze from the floor, “-what”

 

“She’s not like others, please, she’s my friend.  Don’t kill her, please.”

 

The soldier, a young boy, most likely not fully trained yet, hesitated, as he looked at her collar.

 

Wheein noticed and shakingly held out a key, “I have the key, I can open it whenever I want. Please, she’s a good person.”

He took a step forward only to stop when he felt a hand gripping his feet.  

 

Byulyi held tight, anger blazing in her eyes, “Don't you dare hurt her,” 

 

He stare at her for a moment then back at Wheein.

 

“Open,” he said, not exactly a command, for someone of his status wouldn't know how to do that.

 

But Wheein understood.  She plug the key into the back of the collar, and with a click, the collar pops open, falling down to her feet with a loud clang.

 

The soldier nod, seemingly satisfy, then reach down and haul Byul up, with the blade still embedded in her skin, causing the girl to groan in pain, 

 

“Please, don’t kill her,” Wheein beg again, 

 

“Not kill, capture,” the young soldier reply, moving dragging Byulyi out, 

 

“Wait she’s hurt,” Wheen stepped forward, “let me - “

 

“No” the soldier growls out, his sword pointing at her, “You stay. Here.” 

 

Wheein was about to argue when Byulyi voice cut through, “Wheein, please, just stay here.” 

Tightening her fist, she aquisted with a nod, letting the soldier drag her friend away, leaving blood all over the floor.

 

She doesn't know how long she stood there but slowly, the sound of death and screams start to die down over time.

 

Kim Yongsun crowned herself queen that night, and with it came freedom for all slaves.  She told everyone that she will be opening a forum for ex-slaves to air their grievances, and to help them secure a future as freedmen and women.

 

She said nothing of the masters she captured. 

 

After a week of changes and cleanup, the Queen honored her words, and Wheein and some of Byulyi ex-slaves came early to get in line to plead for their friend’s freedom. 

 

One by one the queen heard their story and provided solutions.  

 

As the sun dips down over the horizon, it was finally their turn.

 

Then came into the room then Wheein steps up, the spokesperson for the small group.

 

She finally gets a good look at the new queen.  She sits in front, her hands clasp gently in front of her on her lap, wearing a tan dress that compliments her slightly tan skin, her blond hair falling over her shoulder.  She has an air of royalty without looking like so.  Slightly behind her, is a fierce looking girl with short black hair, standing with her eyes closed. 

 

The queen smiles gently when Wheein steps up, “Hello there, what is your name?”  

 

“Jung Wheein,”

 

The queen nods, while still keeping a gently smile on her face, “Jung Wheein, hello.  What troubles brought you here today?” 

 

“Your Grace, I’m here about the capture of my master.” 

 

The smile drops.  Her face harden.

 

“Ex-master.  Worry not Jung Wheein, the ones alive will be dealt with accordingly.  I promise you, justice will be served.”

 

Wheein shook her head and glance back at the others who came with her, gathering her courage.

 

“Forgive me Your Grace, but I want to ask for her release.” 

 

The queen visibly jerk then glances over at the other girl, who also snaps her eyes open upon such request.

 

“You want someone who kept you in chains to go free?” 

 

The ex-slave shallow then answered, “She never kept us in chains.  The only time we wore the collar in her house was that day when you conquered the city.  She begged us to wear it to protect us.” 

 

The group also nods, showing the queen their agreement to that. 

 

Yongsun stares at the girl, not knowing what to make of this, “And yet, she never freed you,” 

 

An elderly woman from the group steps up to answer, “Your Grace, in this city, before you came, a slave can only be free with a majority approval from the Guild of Conduct. Even if a master wanted to free their slaves, and please trust us that she did, without permission from the majority of the Guild, she was not able to.” 

 

“I have not heard of this Guild you speak of,”

 

“It is not known at all Your Grace.  The masters that assume they can just free their slaves do so, only for the slaves to be recapture and sold elsewhere.  With the guild approval, the slave is registered as free, and a notice is sent to others.  The mark of a freed slave is inked on them as well.” 

 

“And why don’t some of the masters know about this?”

“I’m sorry Your Grace but I don't know the answer that,” 

 

The short-haired girl hummed loudly then asked, “How do you know this?” 

 

“She is, or was, in light of our new freedom Your Grace, part of the Guild and I was her accountant.”

 

A moment of silence as the Queen and her bodyguard took in the new information.
 

The queen stood up, “What is her name?” 

 

“Moon Byulyi, Your Grace,”  Wheein replied, seeing as the elderly woman was done speaking.

 

“Where are you staying?” 

 

Wheein recited the address of Byulyi’s place to her.

Youngsun nods, “I will send someone to fetch you at a later date.  I must speak with Moon Byulyi first.” 

 

That wasn’t good enough for Wheein, she needs more.

 

“Your Grace, please, you can ask the soldier that came in! He saw that I had the keys and unlocked my own collar!” 

 

Youngsun levels her with a look, “I promise you Jung Wheein, I will speak to her first then will speak to you before I make my decision.  That is the best I can give you right now.”

 

She jerks her head and a soldier steps forward, as if to show them out by force if necessary.

 

Tightening her fist, Wheein gave a small bow and emotionlessly thanked the queen for her time.

 

Once they left, Youngsun announced to the soldier to apologize to those still in line and ask them to come back tomorrow.

 

Once along, Hyejin bark out a laugh, “That girl got spunk! She hates you, you know?” 

 

“Yes, thank you for your kind words Hyejin.” 

 

“Tsk, you're no fun.  Anyway, what are you gonna do?”

 

“I will speak with Moon Byulyi then I’ll decide.”

 

“Need me there?”

 

Youngsun gave a small smile, “if I say yes, will you go?”

 

“Hell no, it’s time for my dragon play time.”

 

“I thought so,”  the blond one shook her head fondly, “go, i’ll join you later.” 

 

The assassin mockingly bow, “Your grace,” and left.

 

Youngsun walks to the holding rooms, speaking with the general she left in charge to organized and record the names of the captured masters. 

 

“Your Grace,”

 

“Hello.  Please direct me to one Moon Byulyi.” 

 

He nods and flip through his papers, looking for her.

 

“Yes, I have her here in room number 6.  I shall go with you Your Grace,”

 

“Thank you, but no need.  I wish to speak to her myself.”

 

“You-Your Grace, are you sure, it might be unsafe!”

 

“I trust you and your good men ensure these prisoners have no weapon on them?”

“Yes Your Grace, and we also chained them,” he said loudly, not noticing the ways Yongsun's eyes narrow. She never want to be like the masters, and chaining a person down is very much the same.  But she does understand why the newly freed slaves would want to do this.  She will need to speak to Hyejin about this.

 

But for now, she simply nod, “Then I will be safe.”

 

“I - of course Your Grace,” the man bow.  He gave her the keys and directed her to room 6. 

 

She arrived at room 6 in no time.  

 

Putting in the keys, she turns the look and gently opens the door.

 

The prisoner looks up and with a crooked smile, greets her.

 

“Hiya Princess.”