One Step Back, Two Forward

Teach Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I think you should practice your katas more.” Seulgi said, when they were training on Wednesday. They were much more friendly around each other at that point, and they would often make duos together during the exercises.

“Why?” Sooyoung asked, forgetting about her defensive position to focus on Seulgi beside her, who was now doing the same movement Sooyoung was trying to perform. They were on a break.

“Well, because... you're almost a brown belt. You should be better at it than you are.”

“Ah, an orange belt telling a purple belt what to do. How annoying.” Another guy said, interrupting their conversation.

“Hey.” Dominic pulled him back. “Karate it's not on your belt's color, it's here and here.” He pointed to his head and to his chest, talking about mind and heart.

“And also... hands and feet.” Sooyoung added.

“Exactly. Seulgi could help everyone, she knows a lot too. Focus on your own square, Gregory. They weren't talking to you.”

Seulgi and Sooyoung shared a fist bump with the Sensei, before continuing the conversation until the break was finished. When the class was over, Seulgi invited her to go to her house the next day, and train a little more. “I'd love that.”

Sooyoung had a big smile on her face, she would go there at 4pm, the same time of the class. 

Seulgi used to train at her garden too, barefoot on the grass. If it rained, she had the garage. That's where they would train that day. She told her dad to leave the car outside.

“Who's coming here?” 

“Ah, that girl I visited. She does Karate with me.”

“I'm going to the supermarket with Yerim, then. What about tteokbokki for dinner?”

Seulgi left everything prepared for Sooyoung, she was anxious. She always loved to teach and help other people. When the girl arrived, she had her backpack with her, and was wearing comfortable clothes, just like Seulgi. “Welcome to my house.” 

“What about a kiss, Princess Kang?” She leaned forward to her body.

“Nope. You are here to improve your skills, with my help.”

“Teach me how to do that, then.” Seulgi led her to the garage. “Straight to the point. What's that for?” She pointed to a colored tape on the floor, marking a plus sign.

“It's your spot.”

“My spot?”

“I noticed you never start and end your katas at the same spot, that's a big mistake.” 

“How's that?” She chuckled.

“You start your kata here, and you end it there. Let's say it like that.” Sooyoung nodded. “That means, your stances are wrong.”

“Oh, that I'm doing some bigger and others shorter.” She nodded, looking away. Sooyoung shook her head and slowly took her backpack off, leaving it by the entrance.

“Mhm. All your stances should be the same length. Show your Zenkutsu Dachi.”

Sooyoung took her shoes and socks off to do what she asked for. She got to that position. Leaning her front leg, her back leg was straightened. 

“Good, good. Now your Kokutsu.” That was the opposite, you should lean your body more to the back leg. Not letting the front leg get totally straightened. Let's say, 70% to the back, 30% to the front. “Yeah, nice. But your feet should be more aligned to the front.”

“Like this?” Seulgi nodded.

“Now Kiba Dachi.” The stance takes its name from the position assumed when riding a horse, knees wide open, pointed to the front, along with your feet. “You have long legs, it's prettier to see if you get a little bit lower on your knees.” 

Sooyoung didn't seem to understand how to do what she asked, so Seulgi pulled her leg a few centimeters to the side, and pulled her hip down with her hands. “Woah, easy. You'll break me.”

Sooyoung scoffed at the way Seulgi clicked her tongue, bothered, and reached out to put a straw of the dark hair behind her ears. Seulgi clicked her tongue again, but pretended nothing happened. “That's how your stance should be during the whole Tekki Shodan.” 

“God damn it, I don't know if I'm capable of walking and stepping to the same position during the whole kata.” She said, in a sarcastic way while smiling.

“Everyone is, don't be so silly.” Sooyoung enjoyed being called like that, by Seulgi.

“Alright. Should I do the Tekki now?’ 

“Yes.”

Seulgi made her do it again and again, repeating every step. Sometimes stopping right in the middle and making her restart again from the beginning. She corrected small things that weren't that needed, Seulgi just wanted to do it as a whole.

“Okay, now do every individual movement at least fifteen times.”

“Fifteen?! Seulgi, look at me, I'm dying!” 

“Practice is always good.” 

Sooyoung smirked. Seulgi knew how easily Sooyoung would sweat, because when she was training, she would do her very best. She applied all her strength to every single movement, working with her breath. Even while joking she looked serious, eyebrows frowned and chin up. 

She stared at Seulgi with a smirk before starting the nex

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter