Exam Day

Teach Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene invited Seulgi to go out with her on the weekend, as they had a lot to talk about, and she wanted Seulgi to leave the house for a while. They weren't walking too much, though; they picked a place to eat and got comfortable there.

“Does she know you like her already?”

“I don’t like her.”

“Who?”

“Sooyoung.”

“How did you know I was talking about her?” She stared at her with half-closed eyes. “You’re acting sus.”

“I know I told you guys that I want to get closer to her and that I have some feelings, but I don’t want to use that word, okay? At least not until I’m sure about her feelings.”

“Girl, she literally massaged your knee to help with pain and built a comfortable atmosphere to put you to sleep. She cuddled you.”

“Because I was scared of the storm!” 

“Even better! She cuddled you to protect you from the storm.” She stopped talking to take a bite of her food, making Seulgi eat too. “It’s not like we are being delusional here.”

“We?”

“Of course, I’m your best friend. Ride or die, man. Sooyoung needs to be aware that when she asks you to date her, she’ll be asking for me too.”

“Oh, God.”

“When are we meeting her, by the way?”

“I don’t know. I was thinking about going out with the three of you but--”

Irene interrupted her. “I’m giving a party.”

“A party? Irene…” She murmured in disapproval, but her friend held her hand and locked fingers to hype her up.

“Come on, let’s have some fun. It’s gonna be something small, just us five and a few other friends. You can choose who and the date, how’s that?”

“Okay, okay.”

“Hell yeah! I love you, tiny bear!”

When Seulgi got back home, her father was busy on the phone and Yerim was studying. She didn't want to bother so she headed to the shower after letting them know she arrived. She was going back to her room after getting her ice pack, when her dad left his office. “It was your Sensei, on the phone when you arrived.”

“Oh, yeah? What did he want?”

“To ask about you. He said he's upset.”

“I know he is.” She looked away, embarrassed.

“He also said that you can still do the belt exam if you want, by the end of the month.” And now he had her full attention.

“How come?”

“You have all you need to do it. You don't have to go to the classes until then, because you'll hurt your knee even more. You just sign the papers and do it.”

Seulgi had optimistic eyes now, paying attention to what her father was saying. “Are you sure about that?”

“Yes, I am.” He smiled and held her by the shoulders. “You are doing this, aren't you?”

Yerim came out of her room, after hearing the conversation behind her door. “Don't even think about giving up!”

Seulgi smiled, trying to hide her insecurities. “Of course I am! Come on, I've been waiting for it for months now.”

When she went back to her room, she immediately sent a message to Sooyoung asking if she should do the belt exam (even though she was going to, because she just wanted to show off). Between texts, she received a call from Irene:

“Did you get home safe?”

“You and your dad literally dropped me at my house.”

“Hm, right. I wanted to talk about him, actually. About my parents!”

“What is it? Did something happen?”

“Nothing bad. On the way back I asked what his plans were for their anniversary together…” Seulgi heard a door closing from the other side of the phone, and Irene began to whisper. “He’s going to take my mom to a fancy hotel, or something…”

She chuckled. “A hotel, huh?”

“God, stop it. I was so embarrassed… But the point is! They’re staying out overnight so we could have our little party on that weekend!”

“When?”

“Three weeks from now, Saturday.”

“Hmm… Alright.” On the other side of the phone, Irene was jumping and punching the air with the positive answer. “But we need to organize everything now, okay? And ask your parents before telling someone else!”

“We got this, ma’am.”

“I have a belt exam in three weeks, too. It’s gonna be on Wednesday and we’re receiving the belts and certificates on Friday. Well, that if I pass.” 

“Of course you are going to pass, don’t say it like that. Can we come over to watch you kicking stuff? You know Wendy loves sports and to hype you up.”

“Actually, parents and friends are not allowed during the exams because it bothers our concentration. I’m sorry.”

“It’s alright, I’m sure you’ll do well. I need to go now, talk to you later! Take care.”

“You too.”

The truth is, the exam was on Wednesday and visitors were not allowed, but they could go there to watch the performance again on Friday. The Sensei would give the belts at the very beginning and ask for the same exercises so the family could watch. 

But Seulgi wasn’t sure she would pass. She hated performing the katas by herself, the competition was a nightmare for her, and it was worse when she knew Dominic would be judging every single step of hers. 

She would try and do her best, that she knew for sure. But the insecurities would be by her side all the time. And as the big day got closer, she would get more and more nervous.

When Wednesday came, Seulgi was at a point where she would check the five sentences of the Dojo Kun all the time, something she always knew from the heart.

She was wearing a kneecap to feel more comfortable during the exercises, as Kara told her to do so. The physical therapist was the sweetest woman, and sent her a good luck message before the class started.

“Who’s that?” Sooyoung appeared from behind, startling Seulgi. “Heart emoji and everything… Should I be worried?”

“It’s Kara.” Sooyoung opened and nodded without saying anything. For a moment, Sooyoung wished to disappear for being jealous over an emoji sent by the physical therapist.

“Did you talk to Dominic already?”

“If by talk you mean saying each other's name and a fist bump, then yeah.” They both giggled and stared at the mat, their face dropped. “I’m so nervous.”

“Me too, I’m shaking.”

“I'm sure you'll be good, I trained you well.” She caressed her arm.

“Yeah, yeah… Have you ever seen a brown belt exam?” Sooyoung winked and bowed to the mat before stepping in, Seulgi followed her.

The class started soon, everyone was silent and nervous. There weren't a lot of students who would do the exam, but everyone would have to pay for the extra work. Dominic started by checking on everyone's uniforms and belts, he had to point something wrong here and there before starting. Having a messy Kimono was already a negative thing.

He didn't ask much for the warm up and stretch, taking it easy with everyone. The real hell started right away.

“Everyone, line up!” He ordered and the students quickly did so, organizing the lines like always. “Seulgi, don't push yourself too hard, okay?”

She was adjusting her knee cap when he called and got back to the position. “Yes, Sensei.”

It first started with simple Gyaku Zukis in place, then a double punch, then a Mae Geri, a Mawashi Geri… one by one, until they started to combine movement

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter