Annyeong

Teach Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dōjōkun [道場訓] literally means “the instructions from the place of the Path (philosophical)”, let's see:

DŌ [道] - Way (in the philosophical sense);

JŌ [場] - Place;

KUN [訓] - Instructions.

We don't normally translate the word Dōjō, so we could summarize Dōjōkun as "The instructions of Dōjō". Thus, the Dōjōkun are the instructions, the principles left by the creators of martial arts as a behavior guide for their practitioners.

 

松濤館の道場訓 - SHŌTŌKAN NO DŌJŌKUN- Dōjō Shōtōkan's instructions.

一、人格完成に努めること

HITOTSU, JINKAKU KANSEI NI TSUTOMERU KOTO.

1. I will work hard on my character development. (First. Strive for character formation.)

一、誠の道を守ること

HITOTSU, MAKOTO NO MICHI O MAMORU KOTO.

1. I will be sincere and keep my word. (First. Faithfulness to the way of truth.)

一、努力の精神を養うこと

HITOTSU, DORYOKU NO SEISHIN O YASHINAU KOTO.

1. I will always try my best in everything I do. (First. Create the effort intent.)

一、礼儀を重んずること

HITOTSU, REIGI OMONZURU KOTO.

1. I will always treat others with respect and be polite. (First. Respect above all.)

一、血気の勇を戒むること

HITOTSU, KEKKI NO YŪ O IMASHIMURU KOTO.

1. I will avoid the use of unnecessary violence and will only use Karate as a defense. (First. Restrain the spirit of unjust aggression.)

 

---

 

We can understand that DŌJŌKUN [道場訓] is centered on the following words: CHARACTER, SINCERITY, EFFORT, COURTESY, SELF-CONTROL.

1 – “Kun” [訓] has the meaning of “teaching”, not suggestions, but something that must be done.

2 – The suffix “Koto” [こと] that appears at the end of each sentence is imperative and transforms the expression into an order.

3 – The word “Hitotsu” [一] that appears before each commandment means "1", "first". This means that all commandments are of equal value and importance.

4 – It is Karateka's [空手家] obligation to learn Dōjōkun. Every class, the highest-ranking student will recite the Dōjōkun during the final rites.

5 – Dōjōkun should not be applied only within Dōjō [道場]. If that happens, it loses its meaning.

 

---

 

船越義珍開祖が書いた松濤館の二十 - FUNAKOSHI GICHIN KAISO GA KAITA SHŌTŌKAN AT NIJŪKUN. - "The twenty Shōtōkan precepts written by founder Gichin Funakoshi"

In addition to the emphasis on the importance of Dōjōkun Gichin Funakoshi [義珍船越] has written another twenty teachings that should be observed by practitioners of Karate-Dō [空手道]. Niju [二十] means “twenty” and Kun [訓], as stated above, literally means “teaching”. More than applying these principles to the practice of this art, they must be observed for your life.

(1) Don't forget that Karate-Dō must start with a salute and end with a salute.

(2) In Karate there is no offensive attitude.

(3) Karate is an assistant to justice.

(4) Get to know yourself before getting to know others.

(5) Spirit is more important than technique.

(6) The spirit must be free.

(7) Misfortunes are born with neglect.

(8) Karate is not just limited to Dōjō.

(9) Learning Karate must be pursued throughout life.

(10) Karate will bear fruit when associated with everyday life.

(11) Karate is like hot water: if it does not receive constant heat, it becomes cold water.

(12) Don't think about winning, it is necessary to think about not being beaten.

(13) Change your attitude according to the opponent.

(14) The fight depends on the handling of weak points (虚 KYO) and strengths (実 JITSU).

(15) Imagine people's hands and feet as swords.

(16) For every man who leaves your gate, there are millions of opponents.

(17) The postures (practiced) are for beginners, but later (with evolution) they become natural.

(18) Practice Kata correctly, real combat is a special case.

(19) Don't forget to apply correctly: high and low intensity of force; expansion and contraction of the body; slow and fast techniques.

(20) Always keep improving yourself.

As beings inserted in a social context, we must always seek our evolution in order to contribute to a better social interaction. For this we must always be looking to study, train, research and above all always willing to learn and without prejudices that prevent us from accepting new ideas and ways to solve problems. We must always try to keep ourselves with a white belt “spirit”, which is to be permeated, in the learning process, with enthusiasm, joy, with the desire to learn more and more, to absorb as much knowledge as possible in every opportunity that presents itself. This teaching must be observed in our practice in Karate [空手] as well as in our life.

 

---🥋---

 

“Is that how you want to spend your time with me until I leave? You want me to teach you Karate?”

“Mhm.”

“If that’s what it is with me, how’s it going with Yerim?”

On the morning after the party, when Seulgi got home she was surprised by the sound of a can of beer being opened and her loud cousin running to hug her. Yerim also got into college, to study engineering like both Kangs in the house. Seulgi got petrified and only heard a few of the many words Yerim spilled at her, such as her parents looking for a house in the city so they could finally live near them. 

Of course Seulgi was happy for Yerim, but was sad that her favorite girl would leave her side after such a long time together. She wouldn’t stay on campus though, and that’s why her parents were moving soon.

“I’m being the clingiest person ever.” Seulgi finally answered Sooyoung's question.

“Let me guess; you sneaked into her room to sleep with her?”

“No.” Sooyoung clicked her tongue. “I didn’t have to sneak in, I was already waiting for her and crying before she was ready to go to bed.”

Sooyoung giggled at the way Seulgi said that, and checked her phone’s clock. The two girls were in front of Sooyoung’s house because Seulgi ran there to talk, and found the girl locking the front door. The athlete was about to leave for the gym, it was Tuesday and Sooyoung liked to go early in the afternoon. She was wearing one of the association’s t-shirts, and carried a small backpack with her stuff inside: water bottle, a towel, gloves and boots for sparring. 

“I would love to stay longer, Seulgi. But I have to meet with Jungkook at the gym now.” She shrugged her lips and caressed Seulgi’s arm, who immediately smiled with an idea.

“I can go with you!”

“Can you?!” Sooyoung asked, raising her eyebrows in surprise at Seulgi's eagerness to join her that afternoon.

“I mean... if you want me to go.”

“Of course I do, silly! But don't go flooding the gym floor, drooling over me.”

The two walked, for a good twenty minutes, hand in hand to the gym the athletes attended. The day was hotter than usual, and Sooyoung followed the path asking if Seulgi used to apply sunscreen before leaving the house.

Arriving at the gym, Seulgi looked for a drinking fountain right after greeting Jungkook and the instructor available that day. They passed through the turnstile after Sooyoung explained that Seulgi would like to take an experimental class, as she also practiced karate and needed to strengthen her legs because of her little knee problem.

Seulgi felt a bit embarrassed and followed the woman with her eyes to the equipment she would use for her first activity of the day, Jungkook right beside her. The two were already very used to everything, talking between breaks for each exercise and while carrying the used weights to the place from which they were taken. Across the gym, Seulgi fumbled with the equipment she tried on with the help of the instructor, who explained how everything worked and adjusted the angle of her feet.

After forty minutes (not caring about Sooyoung or being watched by her, but only worried about how she would get home still alive) Seulgi had her legs shaking more than bamboo being shaken by hungry pandas trying to bring down the plant.

"Well, I guess that's it for today," said the instructor. "Sooyoung and Jungkook are going to the second floor, they asked you to join them. If you want to talk more about enrolling in the gym, just give us a call."

Seulgi kept the flyer with the establishment's number in her phone case, as she had happily left home wearing sweatpants and unfortunately had no pockets. Sooyoung was waiting for her on the stairs and had a silly smile on her face, laughing at the way Seulgi was walking.

On the second floor, there was a small room with enough space for a kumite fight. The floor was covered in red tatami mats, a large punching bag was hanging in the back of the room, and just inside the entrance was a shelf with training equipment. Seulgi took off her shoes, leaving them in a line beside the others' shoes. It was just the three of them there at that time.

“All techniques of Karate-Dō must be, after assimilated, executed in depth, in the sense of releasing and awakening the latent energy contained in your body.” Sooyoung starte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter