Chapter 5

A Voice Out Of This World

If someone had asked Minseok a week ago whether he preferred obnoxious ghosts or scary ghosts, he would have answered obnoxious ten out of ten times.

 

Funny how fast he can change his mind sometimes. Or rather how someone can change his mind.

 

“Minseok, I’m bored. Talk to me~” Lu Han whines and hovers over Minseok, being careful not to touch him. They are taking a class for variety shows and for the past ten minutes Lu Han hasn’t been paying any attention to the teacher. He says he’s already seen this class four different times. Maybe he has. It doesn’t mean Minseok has and if anything, he needs tips on how to do well in variety shows as he knows being outgoing and talkative isn’t his strongest forte. Lu Han knows very well Minseok can’t talk to him when there are other people around unless he wants Minseok to be permanently labeled as a lunatic. That doesn’t stop the ghost from bothering him though. If anything, he’s being even more annoying than usual.

 

“Can’t you just ditch the class? I can teach you this stuff later. Let’s go practice dancing instead.” Lu Han lays on his back in the air, loosely kicking his legs up and down. They go through Zitao’s head, but there is no reaction from the younger trainee. It truly seems that Minseok is the only one who can see, hear and feel Lu Han. Which means he’s also the only person for Lu Han to annoy.

 

Minseok regrets leaving his spoons at home.

 

He somehow endures the rest of the class, the only visible sign of his annoyance being the tight line of his mouth. As if being a trainee wasn’t hard enough, now he has to deal with a clingy ghost and somehow get him to debut or, as Lu Han had laid it out earlier, the ghost is “going to bother Minseok forever”.

 

When the class finally ends, Zitao asks him if he wants to come eat with him and Sehun. It takes all of Minseok’s willpower not to agree right away. If only to get away from Lu Han for a while. But he knows he can’t. Lu Han has been pestering him the whole day and Minseok hasn’t really spoken to him today since he’s been surrounded by people since the morning. Minseok hates himself for being a nice person and feeling sorry for the annoying ghost. With a sigh he denies the invitation, promising to treat the duo some other day. That earns him a wide smile from Zitao, because if there’s something the younger man likes, it’s being treated to food. Or anything else really, food and jewelry just being the top two choices.

 

“Finally, we are alone!” Lu Han lets out a deep sigh when they sit at their usual abandoned hallway. Minseok, on the other hand, lets his frustration out.

 

“I told you not to speak with me in class! It’s hard to concentrate when you’re trying to talk my ears off.”

 

“I can’t help it. I’ve been feeling lonely for years, and now I finally have you~” Lu Han singsongs, trying hard to act cute. Minseok isn’t buying it.

 

“You don’t ‘have me’. I’m just helping you get that peace you want and that’s it.”

 

Lu Han pouts. “Well, have you at least come up with a way for me to debut?”

 

“Of course not. How should I know how a ghost can debut? You’re the one who has all the time in the world to think about it. I need to train for my own debut!” Minseok reminds Lu Han. He’s somehow accepted it all easily. Lu Han being a ghost. Himself talking to an actual ghost and not just being mental. Trying to figure out how to get said ghost to debut…

 

“And what exactly do you think I am doing here? I am training too! I don’t have any more free time than you do. I even practice at night when there’s pretty much no one else in the building. I guess ghost muscles can’t get sore.” Lu Han defends himself. Minseok wants to argue back that it’s not Lu Han who has to struggle with training and school, but in the end keeps his mouth shut. He’s feeling too tired to fight. He changes the topic instead, to something he’s been mildly curious about ever since Lu Han said he’s confident in his dancing a few days ago.

 

“Why don’t you show me what you’ve got then? If you say you’ve been training for years shouldn’t you be good?” Minseok challenges the ghost. He’s not a professional judge, but after all these months of dancing he can at least tell if the other or not. And if he does then they have to decide if Lu Han should maybe pursue rapping or singing instead. Or with his looks he could easily be the visual of the group when he debuts. How is that debut going to happen, though? Minseok still has no clue.

 

Lu Han agrees and makes Minseok shuffle through his phone to pick something to play. They decide on a song of TVQX’s that they both seem to like. Actually, Lu Han seems to like the band itself and soon Minseok finds himself chatting happily about his favorite band with the other. He doesn’t even realize what he’s doing when he grins at Lu Han and claps his shoulder. The cold electricity that greets him there snaps him fast back to reality and with a cough Minseok pulls his hand back to himself.

 

“Sorry”, he mumbles. For a moment he almost forgot Lu Han is a ghost. Lu Han flashes him a reassuring smile and suddenly Minseok feels guilty. Here he is, ing and about Lu Han and not really wanting to help him, forgetting about the fact that the other is dead. Lu Han can never really debut like Minseok, he can’t eat food anymore, he can’t even touch anything without his hand going through it. All he can do is just float around and talk to Minseok and yet it’s Minseok who thinks his life’s a drag. Hell, Lu Han doesn’t even have a life anymore.

 

“Sorry”, Minseok says again, this time meaning it. Annoying or not, Lu Han deserves his help. He may be dead, but it’s Minseok who’s always complaining. And that just doesn’t sound right.

 

“It’s fine. At least I feel something. Even if it doesn’t really feel nice.” Lu Han shrugs, then demanding Minseok to finally play the track. Minseok complies.

 

What Minseok can immediately tell is that Lu Han hasn’t been playing around. He can really dance. His moves have the kind of sharpness that comes with years or practice and yet they are smooth enough when they need to be. There’s balance in his movements too. At least Minseok thinks so. Yixing would probably be the better judge on that. The only thing that makes the performance feel slightly off is the fact that Lu Han floats. Sometimes his feet go through the floor and it just doesn’t look right.

 

“Okay, stop, stop.” Minseok pauses the music. “You’re good. Like, really good. I think you could easily be part of the dance line if you were alive”, he compliments Lu Han who beams at him, his face doing that little thing that makes him look slightly creepy. But he’s still handsome enough to pull it off without looking like total weirdo.

 

He’s handsome and can dance. If Lu Han was alive Minseok would probably be a little jealous. Even with that rather outdated hairstyle, his face is sharp and handsome while Minseok’s face is just… round. Round and boring, just like the rest of his body. The thought of it makes him sigh.

 

“You’re probably going to debut faster than me at this rate. I bet you sing like an angel too. In fact, aren’t you a little too perfect for a ghost? It kind of pisses me off”, Minseok rambles, letting himself crouch against the wall. Lu Han isn’t even that obnoxious, that’s probably just a side effect of only talking to yourself for years.

 

“That’s not true!” Lu Han floats next to him, looking shocked. Even that expression looks attractive on his face and Minseok curses mentally. Ghosts aren’t supposed to be this good looking, they are just supposed to be dead.

 

“You’re plenty good yourself too”, Lu Han continues, sitting right beside Minseok, his going slightly through the floor, “I’ve seen your moves in the shower. Despite your baby face, your dancing can look really .”

 

Something cold runs through Minseok’s veins and it’s not because of Lu Han’s touch this time.

 

“You’ve… stalked me in the showers…?” He grits his teeth together, hoping Lu Han thinks his face is steadily reddening because of anger and not embarrassment. He doesn’t dance in the shower unless he knows he’s completely alone there. Which he clearly hasn’t been. Lu Han realizes his mistake and barely has time to quickly sink through the floor before Minseok’s fist hits the spot where he had sat just two seconds ago.

 

“I hope you die, you… you… creeper!” Minseok shouts after him, not caring if the whole building hears him.

 

Ten out of ten times he prefers scary ghosts over ghosts that secretly stalk your body in the showers. So much easier to deal with.