Chapter 15

A Voice Out Of This World

It’s no secret that Minseok loves peace and quiet.

 

He’s never been the most talkative person and he rarely likes having all eyes on him. He likes being around his friends more than he likes his friends being around him. Last time people talked about him more was back in middle school, when he impressed the other students with his football skills. Even back then people weren’t interested in him enough to find out his real name. He was just the fatty from class 2 who happened to have okay-ish football skills in their eyes.

 

Which is why he finds himself squirming uncomfortably under this new, unwanted attention. He should have seen it coming. Even if he thinks he’s alone with Lu Han, there’s always someone catching glimpses of their conversation. Or rather the conversation Minseok seems to be having with himself. He doesn’t miss the smirks and odd looks other trainees send his way every now and then. He hears them giggle when he passes by and it’s not hard to imagine what the topic of the hushed conversation could be.

 

Still, he won’t say a word to anyone and definitely not to Lu Han. Not even when most of the time he just wants to run away from the training building and escape all the unwanted attention he’s receiving. Lu Han’s dead, he has to remind himself. He has it worse. Minseok can just it up and ignore the rumors flying around. He knows he’s not crazy. Lu Han’s real. Well… as real as a ghost could ever be. But if he chickens out now, if he starts to ignore him now, what will happen to Lu Han? Losing his only friend and the person who can see him, let alone talk to him, would surely affect the ghost more than some people talking behind Minseok’s back could ever affect him.

 

Still, he needs to find some sort of solution to this. He needs to find a place for them to talk in private.

 

Early on Tuesday morning, Minseok arrives at the building carrying a map in his arms. Lu Han is waiting for him at the entrance like he sometimes does when he has nothing else to do. Minseok doesn’t miss the way his eyes brighten at the sight of him.

 

“Are we going treasure hunting?!” Lu Han all but yells and surges towards him. 

 

Minseok steps aside pretending to have lost his balance for a second, making Lu Han miss the target and hug empty air. There’s a young trainee girl arriving after him and he lets her pass before mumbling at Lu Han (who’s still hugging the floor), “Why don’t we go outside?”

 

Lu Han is on his feet fast, a huge grin on his face before Minseok’s words fully sink in. His smile drops instantly. “I can’t go outside. I’m tied to this building, remember?”

 

Minseok nods. He remembers. Doesn’t mean they can’t try this.

 

“But you said you could go on quite a while before you started to feel weak, correct?”

 

Lu Han nods.

 

“Why don’t we test your limits? After all, if you debut, you’ll have to leave the building somehow,” Minseok adds. 

 

It’s been a thing in his mind for quite some time now. Lu Han says he can’t leave the SM training building, but Minseok needs to know the further details. Exactly how far can Lu Han go? Does he weaken with time or with distance? Is he still able to touch Minseok if they are outside? He hasn’t gotten anywhere with trying to debut Lu Han, so they might as well test the limits of his ghost powers. Besides, Minseok has his own room at the dorms… A place to talk with Lu Han in private.

 

Before Lu Han hovers out of the door, he grabs Minseok by the shirt. He sees how unsure the ghost looks.

 

“Just… if I get all weak and can’t move anymore… Please don’t leave me there all alone.”

 

Minseok gives Lu Han’s hand an assuring pat. “I’d never. Friends, remember?”

 

“Friends,” Lu Han smiles and steps outside with him.

 

Minseok takes out his map and they start to walk towards the East at first. It doesn’t take long before Lu Han halts, telling him he’s starting to feel weird. Minseok marks ‘X’ on the map and they turn in the opposite direction. Every time Lu Han starts to whine that he’s starting to feel weak, they stop and Minseok draws a mark on his map. Soon they have pretty much walked around the whole training building without really getting anywhere. Minseok doesn’t want to risk walking too far away just to test how weak exactly could Lu Han get. 

 

But there is one more direction they haven’t tried. That’s still pretty close, just not right next to the SM building.

 

It’s the dorm Minseok is currently living in with the other trainees. It’s a couple blocks away so the distance could be potentially dangerous for Lu Han, but he wants to suggest something anyway.

 

“Do you think we could go to the dorms? It’s technically in SM’s possession too, so…” He leaves the suggestion hanging in the air between them. 

 

Lu Han digests the words carefully, before answering. “You think I’d be fine there?”

 

Minseok nods. “You are a trainee after all. Even if you died in this building… I still think we should try it. Maybe it’s a loophole sort of thing in those unwritten ghost rules we’ve never seen,” he explains. 

 

When Lu Han’s about to say something, he grabs his hand. Or at least attempts to. Minseok’s hand kinda just goes in Lu Han’s hand, but it’s the thought that matters, he thinks. 

 

“I won’t leave you alone if you start feeling really weak before we get there. Don’t worry.”

 

Lu Han gives him a smile and a nod, already starting to hover towards the dorms, Minseok following him close by.

 

Minseok notices the ghost getting a little more transparent on their way to the dorms, but Lu Han doesn’t say anything so they keep going. They eventually enter the dorms and Minseok leads Lu Han into their lounge, where they keep all sorts of consoles around for entertainment. There’s no one around right now, so Minseok turns around to look at Lu Han.

 

The ghost is smiling. “I feel fine! I mean between the buildings I didn’t feel so hot but now I feel okay! Completely!”

 

Minseok smiles too. “That’s great! Then my theory was correct! And… now that you can touch things… You do realise maybe we’ll be able to play Fifa here when no one else is looking!”

 

Judging by the size of Lu Han’s eyes, he hadn’t thought of that. Next thing Minseok knows is the ghost smiling like a madman and jumping towards him, wrapping his arms around him. Minseok can’t say a word when he’s pulled into a tight hug.

 

“Thank you, Minseok!”

 

Minseok can only stand awkwardly in his place, w hile Lu Han hugs him. He feels a small smile tug on his lips and he is secretly happy Lu Han can’t see it. After so many months, something finally seems to be right. Lu Han’s not debuting yet, but at least the ghost seems to have forgotten about it for now.

 

Finally, Lu Han lets go of him and Minseok makes his expression neutral again. He entertains the thought of telling his parents that he played Fifa with a ghost instead of studying. They’d probably check him in to the nearest mental hospital. Not everyone takes the news of him seeing ghosts as relaxed as Yixing. Potentially, someone could have spotted them today too, and the gossip about him being a total weirdo would spread even further. 

 

But honestly? Lu Han’s happy face is kinda worth it.

 

At least until the ghost opens his mouth again.

 

“Hey, Minseok. You sleep here every night, right?”

 

“Yeah,” Minseok answers carefree, smiling again. He doesn’t see the warning signs surrounding him.

 

“And we’ve now proved that I feel perfectly fine here too”, Lu Han continues. 

 

Minseok should really hear the warning bells, but he doesn’t. “Yes?”

 

“Great!” Lu Han claps his hands together in excitement. “Then I should be able to live with you here!”

 

Minseok’s smile falters when he thinks about living with the noisy ghost and being around him 24/7. What about his peaceful and quiet days? 

 

He will surely miss those.