Chapter 21

A Voice Out Of This World

Lu Han’s missing again.

 

Minseok thought they had a deal. That Lu Han wouldn’t disappear anymore without at least telling him that he needs some time alone. He thought that’s what they had agreed on, after some threatening from his side. Only it seems Lu Han didn’t intend to keep his word as he hasn’t seen him all day. 

 

Tapping his foot against the floor, he goes over his options. He promised to go eat with the other guys after they were done with practice, but he doesn’t want to leave without telling Lu Han he has to survive without him for a few more hours. Sehun, Yixing and Kyungsoo are already waiting for him and he knows he’s just uselessly stalling time. 

 

“Are you coming, hyung?” Kyungsoo finally asks when he makes no attempt to move. 

 

He looks at his friends. He really wants to go, he’s been craving pizza for weeks, but…

 

“Sorry,” he winces. “I… I’ve lost something important so I have to go look for it.”

 

Perhaps Yixing senses the true meaning of his words, because he asks, “Something or someone, hyung?”

 

Minseok gives him a tiny smile. “Does it matter? I still gotta find it. I’ll see you guys later!”

 

He hears a faint objection from Sehun, but he’s already running away. If Lu Han is sulking somewhere alone, because Minseok still hasn’t found a way to debut him, how can he possibly go enjoy pizza with his friends? 

 

He checks the nearby classroom Lu Han likes to use when no one is around. He checks the dance studios, empty hallways, the toilets, and even the cafeteria, but Lu Han is nowhere to be seen. He wasn’t at the dorms either, when Minseok arrived there late last night after coming back from his parents. Frankly, he will get worried if he doesn't catch a glimpse of the ghost’s overgrown hair soon.

 

Despite running around the place, he can’t locate Lu Han. Feeling desperate, and somewhat foolish (maybe he really should have gone with his friends, if Lu Han wants this desperately to stay hidden), Minseok takes a sneak peek at a cleaning supplies closet. After that the only place he hasn’t searched is the girls’ bathroom…

 

Luckily he doesn’t need to risk being called a ert, because there Lu Han is. Lying on the ground and looking more transparent than Minseok has ever seen him. He doesn’t think for a second that Lu Han is sulking or wanting some time alone.

 

Something is obviously wrong.

 

“Luhan!” Minseok yells and quickly crouches down to his side, closing the door behind them.

 

“Oh, you found me,” Lu Han says weakly and attempts to smile at him.

 

“What’s wrong? What’s happening to you?” Minseok asks, and tries to help him to sit up. It’s impossible of course, because his hands keep going through Lu Han’s body. But perhaps the ghost knows what he’s trying to do, because he slowly drags himself to a sitting position. 

 

“I think I’m a goner…” Lu Han whispers. “But I’m glad I could see you before I vanish completely.”

 

Minseok doesn’t understand anything. What does Lu Han mean by that? He’s a goner? He’s just going to vanish? But they didn’t even debut him yet, how is he going to vanish? They were still supposed to have some time together! He isn’t prepared to let go of Lu Han today. He needs more days. Weeks. At least a couple more months with the ghost would be nice.

 

He wants to say something, anything, but the words just won’t come out. Instead, he sniffles and surges forward to hug Lu Han. 

 

Of course, he can’t really hug him without his arms going through the ghost, but he can sort of… hover his arms around Lu Han, to enclose him in a touchless hug. Lu Han doesn’t respond right away, but when it’s clear Minseok isn’t about to pull away anytime soon, he wraps his arms around him too. He can feel Lu Han’s arms on his back, even without the electricity.

 

“I don’t want you to go…” He mumbles against Lu Han’s ear. He knows he’s being selfish, but that’s just how he feels. He’s probably imagining it, but it feels like Lu Han’s grip around him tightens. Finally, when he doesn’t have the energy to keep his arms up anymore, he lets go of Lu Han and takes a step back, sitting on the floor with the ghost.

 

“Stop acting like I’m about to die,” Lu Han cracks a joke and despite everything Minseok laughs.

 

“You want me to hit you with a spoon? I still carry it with me you know…”

 

“Actually, about the spoon… I guess I should reveal that it doesn’t actually work. I was just pretending it hurt me.” Lu Han grins. 

 

Lu Han’s always the one that starts making jokes when things are about to get more serious, and Minseok appreciates that. What he doesn’t like is the fact that he’s been waving around his spoons like an idiot when apparently they have no effect. He tells as much to Lu Han who only laughs. Then a silence descends between them once again.

 

“I know I’ve called you annoying more than once, but…you've become really important to me, Luhan,” Minseok eventually starts. He doesn’t want to sound like Lu Han’s about to die and these are his last words to him (even if that is the case), but he still wants to say them.

 

“Minseok, you mean…?” Lu Han starts but falters.

 

“Yeah, you’ve become one of my best friends,” he nods. 

 

For a moment Lu Han looks almost disappointed, but seems to quickly collect himself. “You too,” he says. “You’re also… my best friend.”

 

“And…” Minseok reaches for Lu Han’s hand. He doesn’t know why he wants to touch it so badly these days when he can’t really even hold it, but perhaps the idea is more important. “And I’m going to miss you terribly. Everything about you. Your overgrown hair, your jaw breaking stupid smile, your enthusiasm, how you always say the wrong things but give me so much confidence…” He feels himself blushing and fears his words are a bit too much, but Lu Han listens carefully, taking in every word until Minseok is done. Even on his transparent face, Minseok can see a myriad of emotions. Not all the sort he can decipher. 

 

“And you’re way too nice for someone like me,” Lu Han shakes his head, smiling after Minseok falls silent again. “So, you can’t really blame me for what I’m about to do.”

 

Before Minseok can ask what exactly it is that Lu Han’s about to do, the ghost leans forward. At first he thinks he suddenly started to feel weak and rushes to help Lu Han to stay up, but the ghost doesn’t just fall through him. His movements are more calculated, halting Minseok in his place when Lu Han’s lips meet his.


Eh, is all Minseok can think about when Lu Han kisses him.