Chapter 4

A Voice Out Of This World

Things Lu Han thought he would never experience again:

  1. The taste of warm steamed bun in his mouth
  2. Playing football with his friends
  3. Feeling tears roll down his cheeks
  4. Having a conversation with someone

 

If being proven wrong feels this good, he wishes he could experience it more often. After years and years of talking to yourself, finally speaking to someone else feels pretty freaking great. Even if his conversation partner is still acting a little hostile towards him. Lu Han doesn’t want to blame him - after all it’s not every day a ghost wants to talk to you. He’s just not quite sure what Minseok is trying to achieve by pointing that spoon at him. Lu Han lifts his arms up just in case, imagining the spoon is a gun pointed at him. The last thing he wants is Minseok running away from him again. If the spoon makes the other guy feel safer, so be it. Lu Han can sacrifice a bit of his pride and act like he’s actually scared of that little shining piece of tableware.

 

“Okay”, he begins, not wanting to screw up this time, “thank you for speaking with me.”

 

Minseok doesn’t reply anything, just keeps pointing that spoon at Lu Han. They are in an empty hallway on the upper floor of the SM building. It seems Minseok doesn’t want to speak to him when there are other people around. At least that’s the conclusion Lu Han came to after spending the whole Chinese class trying to talk to the shorter man, but not getting any response. He almost started to worry Minseok didn’t see him anymore, before the other man started to send death glares pointed at Lu Han by the end of the class.

 

It had never felt so good to be hated by someone.

 

“I know this must be an absurd situation to you. The fact that I’m a…” Luhan continues.

 

“A ghost”, Minseok finally speaks.

 

“Yeah. That. But I assure you, I have no bad intentions”, Lu Han smiles, even if he vaguely remembers people saying he looked like a creep when doing that. Minseok doesn’t look more afraid of him, so his smile is obviously not that bad.

 

“What are your intentions then?” Minseok finally asks, still sounding hostile but holding his spoon a little lower than a second ago Lu Han’s ghostly smile obviously works way better than the one he had when he was still alive. His intentions are still, thankfully, clear too.

 

“I want to debut”, Lu Han hastily explains, lowering his hands when Minseok doesn’t look like he’s going to stab Lu Han with the spoon anymore. A confused expression spreads on Minseok’s face.

 

“Debut?”

 

“As an idol, of course. I am a trainee, like you. Well, was.”

 

“So, you…” Minseok begins, looking unsure as if doubting he had heard the other correctly, “you’re dead, but you still want to become an idol?”

 

Lu Han nods. He has had plenty of time to think about why he’s here. Stuck in this building. It must be his desire to debut. He’d watched plenty of horror films when he was still alive and there’s a reason why ghosts exist. They can’t find peace for one reason or another and end up wandering aimlessly, eventually turning bitter and angry and killing people. Lu Han really hopes he can find peace before it comes to that. Sure, he had some possessive tendencies when he was alive, but not enough to actually want to possess someone. He likes being a friendly ghost that doesn’t want to smash people against the wall. Well, not that he could anyway, because he at being a ghost. He can’t even make Zitao scared and that boy is scared of everything.

 

He had died while he was a trainee, so it’s natural Lu Han can’t find peace until he’s achieved the one thing he came to SM for – debuting as an idol. He’s not exactly sure how it would be possible for him to debut anymore, but at least he now has Minseok and doesn’t need to wonder about these things alone anymore.

 

“I think it’s the only way I can find peace and move on”, Lu Han sighs, resting his hand on his cheek. Or tries to, because being the lousy ghost he is, his hand just goes straight through his cheek. Minseok makes a noise and Lu Han knows he’s disgusted. Still, he doesn’t point the spoon higher at him, so Lu Han’s clearly doing something right.

 

“And you need me for…?” Minseok asks, narrowing his eyes at Lu Han. Despite everything Minseok seems to take the news in rather well. Lu Han had been expecting more running away or screaming, but the other man is still here, still talking to him. It makes something inside his stomach feel nice and bubbly.

 

“You’re the only one who can see me”, Lu Han explains, “so naturally you have to help me, right?”

 

“Right… because I know so much about how to make dead people debut…” Minseok rolls his eyes, his voice thick with sarcasm. He probably doesn’t, but neither does Lu Han. The only thing he does know is that two brains are better than one. He briefly considers adding ‘do it or I will haunt you forever”, but that doesn’t really fit the sweet (and yet manly) ghost image he’s trying to sell to Minseok.

 

“Minseok”, Lu Han begins instead, “I know you’re a great person. You always stay late to practice and you’re a good hyung to the younger trainees. You make it seem like whatever you eat is the tastiest thing ever. You’re passionate about singing and football, just like me. And… I don’t know why you feel so insecure about your body, you have nice muscles and…”

 

“Whoa, whoah! Have you been stalking me?” Minseok blushes furiously and soon that spoon is pointed straight at Lu Han once again. Dead or alive, it seems Lu Han’s habit of saying the wrong things at the wrong time is still there. If he stays dead for a long time, maybe he should practice keeping his mouth shut sometimes. Or at least learn how to think before speaking.

 

“Not stalking! It’s not my fault you guys don’t notice me when I’m standing right next to you”, Lu Han defends himself. It’s probably better not to mention he’s been hanging out next to them in the showers as well. Minseok doesn’t seem the type to take that kind of news well. Even when he has nothing to be ashamed of and Lu Han knows he doesn’t. After all, he’s seen everything.

 

“But my point being… you’re a nice guy Minseok, and I am putting my faith in you. So please, please, help me debut. I don’t want to become a bitter ghost who ends up killing trainees here, just because I couldn’t become an idol myself!” Lu Han bites his lower lip in a way he knows makes him look more miserable and possibly more attractive. He only has everything to lose, so hell if he isn’t using all the talents he has to make sure Minseok agrees to help him. The spoon is being lowered again so the pleading face Lu Han has on is certainly having an effect on Minseok. He secretly thanks his mother and father for giving him such good genes.

 

“I can’t believe this is really happening…” Minseok rubs his forehead. Lu Han can practically taste the hope on his tongue even though it’s been years since he’s actually tasted anything.

 

“You… you’ll help me then?” Ghostly tears are starting to form at the corners of Lu Han’s eyes. He’s glad it was Minseok that finally saw him and not someone like… Sehun instead. Lu Han’s seen the guy, and he seems the type to say “no” just to bully Lu Han.

 

“I am going to regret this. I just know it”, Minseok groans, “but fine. I’ll help you. Even if I have absolutely no idea how to do it.”

 

Lu Han’s so happy he actually dives forward and tries to hug Minseok, which just causes him to go through him.

 

It’s a sensation Lu Han would rather never experience again and he’s sure Minseok fully agrees.