(sipsam)

Under the Peach Tree

 

 

Two royal palanquins make their way towards the main palace in a procession. One carries the Crown Prince, followed by one that carries his bride.

Baekhyun thinks back to what had occurred earlier at the detached palace. He was utterly entranced by his soon-to-be consort, at the very first sight, and he hasn't expected that. In fact, he's rather perplexed and vexed by it — both at the same time. When he eventually came to his senses and realized that he had been shamelessly eyeing his betrothed, he was downright mortified. He only hoped that nobody took notice.

Meanwhile, Mura has her own troubles that hound her. Her insides are filled with jitters, and she feels overheated under the many layers of clothing and her headdress. 

She slightly removes her palanquin curtain. "Choi Sanggung, how much further?" She asks her lady-in-waiting, who walks alongside the litter.

"We have almost reached, agasshi." 

Mura pushes back the curtain and sighs deeply. Today is going to be a long day.

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

In the palace, all the royals and the officials wait for their crown prince and his bride's arrival.

The King wears his ceremonial attire that is similar to that of the Crown Prince.

The royal women and high-ranking court ladies wear ceremonial garbs in their designated colors. Each of their hair is styled in the royal ceremonial hairdo, which consists of a low bun with a braided wig that circles around the head like a halo, and a large heart-shaped wooden frame.

The wedding procession finally arrives at the gates of the palace. Both Baekhyun and Mura alight from their respective palanquins and take their place before the closed palace gates, next to each other, holding the jade tablets across from their chests. 

Baekhyun stands tall and dignified, while Mura feels her heart in . Her entire body feels heavy and the heat begins to take a toll on her. 

A resounding sound of the palace bell fills the air, and the gates of the palace open to reveal an enormous courtyard with a red carpet in the middle that leads to the gallery of the main throne hall, where all the royals are seated. On either side of the carpet, stand the high-ranking officials, who wear their scarlet ceremonial robes with gold and black headgears, holding curved rectangular tablets made of ivories.

Mura's anxiety multiples at the sight---so many people, so much pressure. Suddenly, she finds herself being dizzy and her knees weak. She feels herself collapsing to the ground before a strong set of arms prevents her from meeting that fate. 

"Kyusu!" Baekhyun exclaims as he holds Mura.

"Agasshi!" Mura's attendants shriek with worry.

Fortunately, Mura hasn't quite lost her consciousness. "Water." She mutters weakly.

"Close the gates!" Baekhyun commands the guards with a loud, authoritative voice.

Everybody on the other side of the gates watches with sheer confusion, as the gates close unceremoniously. The King exchanges perplexed glances with the Queen and Queen Dowager. A eunuch rushes towards the throne hall gallery and whispers the situation in the ear of the King's personal eunuch, who passes the information to his master. Within minutes the news of the bride almost losing her consciousness spreads around the courtyard, thus initiating murmurings amongst the people. 

A maid runs towards the royal palanquin, where Mura has been taken, holding a bowl of water. She hands the bowl to Madam Choi, who in turn begins to feed the water to Mura. Janshil fans her to alleviate some of the heat she is experiencing. 

Mura makes a satisfying sound after she finishes the bowl of water. "Aish, such a bother."

"How do you feel, agasshi?" Madam Choi inquires.

"Physically speaking, I feel much better. Mentally, I'm afraid I continue to be trepidatious."

"You must gather your bearings soon, agasshi. I understand you must be feeling quite agitated, however, we cannot delay the wedding ceremony for much longer." Madam Choi expresses.  

Baekhyun, who has been standing a few yards away, approaches Mura, who quickly climbs out of the palanquin. 

"How do you feel?" Baekhyun asks Mura. He still feels entranced by his bride but does everything to act solemn.

"Much better, Choha. I apologize for causing such a commotion." Mura bows apologetically. 

"Do you feel well enough to perform the ceremony?" Baekhyun's voice sounds more distant than warm. 

"Yes, Choha."

"Very, well. Let us begin then." Baekhyun turns around and walks towards the gates. 

Mura timidly follows her groom. Once they return to their place in front of the gates, Madam Choi hands Mura the jade tablet before the latter takes her stance. She takes a nervous deep breath, which alerts her groom next to her. Just as the guards were about to open the gates, Baekhyun raises a hand motioning them to halt. 

"What seems to be the issue now?" The Crown Prince questions his bride

Mura is taken aback. "No-nothing, Choha."

"You are shaking like a leaf. It can't be nothing."

"Forgive me, I am simply nervous."

Baekhyun throws a judging glance at Madam Choi. "What is the cause of this nervousness? Have you not been trained well for the ceremony?"

The lady-in-waiting swiftly bows. "I have disappointed you, Choha. Please, punish me."

"No!" Mura exclaims. "Choi Sanggung and the others have taught me very well. It is just that there will be so many eyes on us. I am simply not accustomed to such things. Forgive me if I have made you uneasy with my tremors. I shall do my hardest to not tremble."

Baekhyun feels slightly remorseful. "It is all right. I suppose it is entirely normal to feel some nerves under such circumstances. If I'm being honest, I feel quite perturbed, myself."

"Really?" Mura asks, surprised by the admission. The Crown Prince looks nowhere near nervous.

Baekhyun nods. "Slightly, yes." He speaks avoiding any eye contact in fear of getting lost in the other's beauty. "However, you need not fret over it. Your ladies-in-waiting shall assist you with every step. Now, let us be done with this, shall we? The sooner this ends, the sooner we shall find our relief." He nods at the guards, who go on to open the gates.

Mura huffs out a breath before squaring her shoulders and lifting her chin. 

Baekhyun and Mura slowly parade down the red carpet with their retinue following behind them. They reach the canopy at the foot of the throne hall stairwell, where the wedding ceremony commences. 

The bride is to perform three bows before her groom by dropping on her knees and lowering her upper body halfway. A task made difficult for Mura because of the heavy headdress she is sporting. Even with the help of her ladies-in-waiting, she slightly struggles as her neck strains. After two bows Mura stops to take a breather. 

"Agasshi." Madam Choi whispers, prompting Mura to kneel for her third bow.

"Allow me a moment." Mura requests.

"We do not have a moment. Please, kneel. The King and everyone else is watching."

Mura sighs deeply before kneeling to perform her third bow. These bows represent the bride's promise to always respect and serve her husband as a dutiful wife.

The Crown Prince is only expected to offer a small bow by slightly lowering his head as an acknowledgment of his bride's promise.

The two then share nuptial drinks before exchanging one more bow, sealing them as husband and wife.

The Crown Prince and his new consort bow before the gallery of the throne hall for the blessings of the King, Queen and Queen Dowager.

This is then followed by the investiture, where the King declares Mura as the Crown Princess of Choson. 

The newly crowned Crown Princess and the Crown Prince turn to face the officials in the courtyard, who raise their tablets and shout, "All Hail the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess!"

It is done. There is no going back, Mura thinks. She has truly become a royal now. To Mura, it feels both surreal and tragic in a way.

Baekhyun tries to discreetly glance at his bride, who, sensing her groom's eyes on her, peers up at him; and just as she does, Baekhyun quickly looks away pretending as though he hasn't been trying to catch a glimpse of her.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝