(pal)

Under the Peach Tree

 

 

In the courtyard of the Park home, Mura's parents, as well as, her cousins await her to come out of her chamber. The atmosphere is as dismal as a funeral. Today, Mura bids farewell to her home and her family. Lady Kim silently weeps, and Lord Park's head hangs low. 

Mura steps out and walks up to her mother first. "Omoni, you must stop. You've been crying since last night. It cannot be good for your health. I shall be fine. Do not worry about me." She embraces her mother. "Eat well, omoni. Take good care of your health." 

 Lady Kim is at a loss for words. All she can do is sob.

After consoling her mother, Mura moves on to her father. "Aboji, I have a request, will you honor it?"

"Anything for you, my princess."

"You must not blame yourself for any of it. Can you do that? For my sake?"

It was much easier said than done. However, to appease her daughter Lord Park agrees. He pats her daughter's hair fondly. "The only source of light in this house is leaving us today. How fortunate is the palace? May you light it up with your radiance, my child."

Mura smiles sadly. She then moves on to her cousins. She looks at them with the deepest fondness. "Promise to miss me plenty?" Mura's heart aches for her cousins the most. She will be able to see her parents at her wedding. However, no other family members of hers will be allowed to attend the wedding. So, she is uncertain of when she will be able to see her cousins again.

Sehun breaks down. "You told me to not marry and that we shall always have each other. But now, you dare leave me--us--in this manner."

"Forgive your nui, Sehun-ah... I couldn't keep my promise."

"Be happy, Mura-ya. All of our blessings are with you." Junmyeon expresses.

Mura hears sniffles coming from Jongdae, "Jongdae, are you crying?"

"No, something just went in my eye." The said man lies.

Mura chuckles quietly. "Jongdae-ah, Kyungsoo-ya... do not quarrel much. Try to become more civil towards each other. This is my parting wish for you both."

Kyungsoo's lips quiver slightly. "That is such a difficult demand."

"Already using your newfound authority on us. Might I remind you, you're not the queen, yet?" Jongdae teases.

Mura chuckles at that.

"If you ever require us to break you out of the palace, we're merely a letter away." Minseok jests. "I'm not afraid to make a few enemies from inside the royal palace."

Mura laughs genuinely. "Thank you, Minseok oraboni. I shall remember that." She observes her group of cousins, which is missing one member.

Since Chanyeol worked on the outskirts of the capital, he could not make it to this farewell. Mura's heart breaks at the idea of not being able to say goodbye to her beloved Chanyeol oraboni

After bidding farewell to everyone, Mura proceeds towards the palanquin sent by the palace, along with a guard to accompany her. She turns to take in her home for one last time, where she spent the majority of her life, and looks at her parents for one final time before leaving, as extreme emotions flood through her. She then glumly crawls inside the palanquin. 

"We'll walk with your litter," Minseok informs the guard, referring to himself and the other cousins. 

Mura feels the palanquin lift off the ground and start moving. She opens the window and pokes her head out to face her cousins, who all smile at her as they walk alongside the palanquin. Mura reaches for Sehun's hand, and the latter gladly offers it to her. They all make small talk as they move. Who knows when they'll ever get to chat like this? She'll get the opportunity to see her parents at her wedding, but no other family members will be allowed to attend it.

After traveling some distance, the palanquin bearers come to a stop. "I'm afraid, this is the furthest you may go." The guard informs Mura's cousins.

Mura reluctantly lets go of Sehun's hand. "We shall see one another soon, correct?"

"Of course," Jumyeon says.

The palanquin begins to move again. Mura extends her head out of the window and watches the distance between herself and her cousins grow bigger and bigger. They wave at her and she waves back. She keeps watching them until they disappear from her line of vision. She tucks her head back inside the palanquin and tears begin to freefall down her cheeks.

Mura is being taken to the detached palace, an outer palace, where she will be staying until the wedding. There, she will be receiving lessons on the royal household's etiquette and the virtues a crown princess and the future queen should have. 

Not long after Mura parts with her cousins, they reach the detached palace. Mura feels the palanquin being placed on the ground, and immediately after the door to it opens. Mura crawls out to find a few attendants, consisting of two court ladies, four palace maids, and a eunuch, standing in rows. 

They all bow in unison. "Welcome to the detached palace, agasshi." One of the court ladies, in her middle age, greets her.

Mura bows back to them. 

"No, no, agasshi, you mustn't bow to your servants." The court lady tells her. 

"Oh, I see. My apologies."

"You need not apologize to your servants, either."

Mura offers a meek smile. She has just stepped in and is already being told what not to do.

"Anyhow, I am court lady Choi, your head lady-in-waiting. You may call me Choi Sanggung." The middle-aged court lady introduces herself before introducing the rest of the servants to Mura. 

The latter nods and smiles politely at everyone. 

"Allow us to you to your chamber, agasshi," Madame Choi tells Mura. 

Mura looks around and takes in the residence she'll be calling home for the next fifty days. 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

Translation:

1. Sanggung: A term used to address a senior court lady by her superiors and equals.