(sasip)

Under the Peach Tree

A/N: Please, excuse any mistakes. Thanks.

 

Baekhyun takes a spoonful of seaweed soup into his mouth. The warmth and savoriness of the broth embrace his tongue in the most pleasant way. 

“Is it to your liking, Seja?” The Queen asks her son.

“How can it not when it has been prepared with the labor of love by none other than yourself?” Baekhyun says. “You have never missed in the past, and today is no different. It is perfectly delicious, as always. Thank you, omamama.”

The Queen grins. “To hear that pleases me immensely. It is one of the many joys as a mother for me to personally prepare miyeok-guk for my children on their birthdays. Do eat to your heart’s content, Seja.”

Baekhyun smiles and resumes eating the soup.

Today is the seventeenth day of the month of the Snake, Baekhyun’s birthday. He turns twenty-one. 

It is tradition for a birthday celebrant to consume seaweed soup for breakfast to honor his or her mother as seaweeds are regarded as a symbol of pregnancy and childbirth. 

Each year on his birthday Baekhyun eats his breakfast with his mother in her chamber and relishes the seaweed soup prepared by her. It is not much different this year, except today they are joined by a newcomer.

Seja, this year’s birthday must be especially meaningful, for this is the first one you celebrate with your consort,” the Queen says. 

Baekhyun looks at the Crown Princess, who returns his gaze with a smile. A smile of his own blooms on his lips.

“The first of many, I pray,” he says.

The Queen beams as she watches her son and daughter-in-law. She quietly admires their obvious fondness for each other. “Seja, do remember to finish your lessons early today. We do not wish for you to be late for the afternoon’s banquet.”

The palace is hosting a banquet to celebrate the Crown Prince’s birthday. All high-ranking court officials and immediate family members of the royal family will be in attendance. 

“Yes, omamama.”

Once breakfast concludes, the Crown Prince and Princess say their goodbyes to the Queen for the time being. 

“I shall head to my lessons then,” Baekhyun tells the Crown Princess as they stand outside of the Queen’s quarters.

“Do you mind sparing me a moment?” Mura asks. 

“Of course not.”

Mura turns her neck to look at Madam Choi behind her in a silent command. The lady-in-waiting steps forward and hands her mistress an object.

“For you, Choha.” Mura holds out the object— a small square wooden box.

A birthday gift, Baekhyun understands. He smiles and takes the box from the other’s hands.

“I urge you to open it,” Mura says.

 Baekhyun unfastens the metal latch of the box and removes the lid. Inside is a neatly folded silk handkerchief in light blue with embroidered peaches and green leaves.

“I’m aware this gift may be underwhelming and I hope Your Highness isn’t insulted by its modest nature.  However, I have cut, sewn, and embroidered the handkerchief myself. I hope that warrants some merit,” Mura says shyly.

Baekhyun’s expression turns tender. “Buin…”

“My embroidery skills leave much to be desired, but I promise, I’ve tried to carry out the task to the best of my abilities. I have chosen peaches due to their believed symbolism for longevity.” Mura smiles at the other. “Congratulations, Choha, for making it to twenty-one years. May you live twenty-one more and beyond.”

Baekhyun is moved beyond words. He swallows, overcome with intense emotions but manages to remain composed. It would prove rather embarrassing if he were to lose his self-possession over a handkerchief. “It is beautiful, Sejabin. Contrary to your own opinion, you have done a marvelous job with the embroidery. My deepest and sincerest gratitude to you. I shall treasure this gift dearly.” 

Mura chuckles. “Though I am elated by your earnest acceptance of the gift, it is still merely a handkerchief, Choha. It hardly calls for such deep sentiments.”

“Even a piece of stone with no intrinsic value would’ve been meaningful to me if it had the distinction of being the very first gift you have bestowed to me; which this handkerchief does. But it also has the honor of your thoughtfulness and labor applied to it, thus making it all the more precious. Hence, how can I not treasure it so?”

Badum. Badum. Badum. 

There it is--- the Crown Prince causing Mura’s heart to pace at a rapid speed, yet again. She and the prince share a prolonged tender gaze. 

Choha, apologies for the interruption,” Samnom says stepping forward. “But we mustn't be late for your lessons.”

Baekhyun blinks. “Yes, I suppose I must leave you, for now, Sejabin. I shall see you before the banquet."

Mura bows to the Crown Prince before he walks away, leaving her with a giddy sensation in her belly.

 

 ╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

Janshil prepares the Crown Princess for the banquet inside the latter's chamber. “Mama, shall we style your hair in an eoyeo meori?” 

Eoyeo meori involves tying the hair in the usual bun, but with the addition of a round braided wig that encircles the head in a halo and is decorated with bejeweled hairpins.

“Whatever for?” Mura asks.

“Today is a day of celebrations, after all. As the consort of our celebrant Crown Prince, you ought to stand out for the occasions.”

“No, no, eoyeo meori is quite troublesome to don. Besides, I have no desire to stand out as you suggest.”

“Come now, Mama. You ought to look so beautiful with it.”

Mura shakes her head. 

“I’m sure the Crown Prince should be pleased to see you in something different for his birthday.”

“Why should the Crown Prince care about the style of my hair, of all things?”

“Please, Mama, for today only. Pray, honor my request.”

Janshil manages to cajole the Crown Princess into giving in to her whim. Once she has finished styling her mistress’ hair, she unfolds the small collapsible mirror of her mistress’ lacquer vanity box, inlaid with shimmering pieces of abalone shells.

Mura is alarmed at the sight of her reflection. “Janshil-ah!”

“What is the matter?”

Mura stares at her own expression of distaste in the mirror. “It is… it is so gaudy,” she remarks on the heavily bejeweled ring of the braided wig. What was the court maid thinking?

Janshil’s expression falls. “You wound me, Mama, by insulting my efforts.”

“I would’ve been more appreciative if you had put forth less effort.”

“Well, I say you look perfectly ravishing.”

“I’m not so certain,” Mura says tentatively.

“It may feel slightly odd given that you aren’t accustomed to sporting such a look. But you must trust my judgment.”

“You truly believe this suits me?”

“In more ways than one.” Janshil answers with confidence. “The Crown Prince is sure to be positively mesmerized when he sees you.”

Mura wishes to counter the court maid’s statement by stating she does not care about the Crown Prince’s opinions of it but decides otherwise. “All right, I shall trust your judgment then.”

 

 ╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Baekhyun waits on the Crown Princess in the East Palace courtyard before they are to make their way to the main courtyard inside the inner court where the banquet is being held. Upon catching sight of his consort, Baekhyun is bemused by what he sees. 

Mura advances toward the Crown Prince with a gentle smile and bows. 

“What have you done?” Baekhyun queries.

Mura doesn’t understand his question. “I beg your pardon?”

“Your hair, what have you done with it?”

“Oh.” Mura mindlessly touches the adorned braided wig. “I was told it would be suitable for me to don eoyeo meori for today’s banquet.”

Baekhyun snorts amusedly. “You look ridiculous.”

Mura’s high spirits come cashing in an instant. “Huh?”

“Well, it is too late now. This would have to do, I suppose.” Baekhyun regards his consort’s hairstyle unfavorably. “Come, let us not keep everyone waiting.”

Mura twists her neck to cast a venomous glare at her court maid whose idea this has been and who had the audacity to claim that the Crown Prince would be left mesmerized, which clearly was not the case.

Janshil evades her mistress’ poisonous gaze by dropping her own gaze at her feet. She is sure to get an earful once they return from the banquet.

The Crown Prince and Princess arrive at the gates of the main throne hall. As they— along with the King, Queen, and Queen Dowager— wait to be ushered in, the Queen Dowager eyes the Crown Princess with mirth. “The guests should think it is your birthday that is being celebrated today rather than the Crown Prince’s,” she snidely remarks.

And Mura becomes determined to have Janshil’s head on a pike. It doesn’t help that the Crown Prince snickers in agreement with his grandmother’s remark.

Most guests are seated in the courtyard, while the senior royal members, the King, Queen, Queen Dowager, Crown Prince, and his consort, are seated at the gallery of the throne hall, overlooking the courtyard.

One by one, the guests approach the table occupied by the Crown Prince and his consort to give their well wishes to the Crown Prince for his birthday.

Jongin and his wife, Youngji, approach the table. 

“Congratulations, Choha. May Heaven bless you with many more happy and healthy years,” Jongin wishes. 

“Congratulations, Choha,” Youngji echoes.

Baekhyun thanks them both.

Gun-mamaGunbuin, it is always a pleasure to see you," Mura expresses to the Royal Prince and his wife. "How is little Soobin-ah?” She then inquires about their child.

“He is healthy with impressive vitality,” Jongin replies.

"How excellent! Do bring him for a visit soon. I am yearning to see him," Mura says.

“As you wish, Sejabin-mama," Jongin agrees. "Gunbuin,” he then addresses his wife. “Doesn’t our Crown Princess look exceptionally lovely today?”

“Who me?” Mura is stunned by the compliment. She giggles bashfully. “No such thing.” 

“I beg to differ,” Jongin says, the corner of his lip curling up.

Mura erupts into laughter, embarrassed, her cheeks flame. “Oh, you flatter me, Gun-mama.” A rumbling snort accidentally escapes through her nose. 

“I must agree with my husband,” Youngji says. “You are a fortunate man, Choha, to have the companionship of such serene beauty, who is Heaven's design for you and you alone. No other. Wouldn't you agree, Gun-mama?” She turns to her husband with a complacent expression.

Jongin simply responds with a strained smile.

“Heavens, you two must stop." Mura urges. "I am not deserving of such acclaim.” 

“Well, I must thank you both for recognizing my consort’s allure,” Baekhyun speaks to his brother and sister-in-law. “I do count my blessings each day. I most certainly am fortunate; not only for her beauty but for her mind, as well. Her character is just as, if not more, deserving of acclaim.”

“I truly must implore all of you to stop singing praises of me so unnecessarily, otherwise, I shall surely explode from the embarrassment. 

The other three laugh at her statement. After exchanging a few more words, Jongin and Youngji reclaim their seats amongst the other guests. 

Mura’s parents, Lord Park and Lady Kim, approach their royal son-in-law and daughter’s table afterward, much to the said daughter’s delight. 

It is always a happy day when Mura is able to see her parents. Especially, her mother, whom she doesn’t get the fortune of seeing nearly as much as her father.

The two pairs share a few jovial words before the elder couple retreat to their seats. 

Soon, a feast commences and all in attendance busy themselves satiating their stomachs, while the court dancers entertain them with taepyeongmu.

Baekhyun’s eyes travel above to the sky, its state contrasts the merriment of the royal court below it, as grey clouds gradually emerge.

“It seems it may rain,” Baekhyun tells the Crown Princess.

Mura adds nothing to the remark, opting to eat in silence. 

“You’ve been awfully quiet, Buin. Do you feel unwell?” 

“No,” Mura answers curtly. 

Baekhyun catches mild hostility in his consort's tone. “Have I done something to anger you?”

“No.”

“Are you certain? I get the feeling you are cross with me.”

“How can a ridiculous-looking person such as myself dare to be cross with Your Highness?”

Baekhyun furrows his brows, not grasping the meaning behind his consort’s snide statement. But then it dawns on him. “Is it about the comment I made about your hair? Surely, you hadn’t taken it to heart?”

Mura doesn’t respond. Instead, she angrily pushes a chopstick full of side dishes, which is far too much in quantity, into . 

Baekhyun sighs. “If it is the case then allow me to apologize. Of course, you do not look ridiculous. It had been an exaggeration on my part since it is so unlike you to sport such ostentatious ornaments. And for it, I sincerely apologize.”

Mura continues to exercise silence and inserts a large spoonful of rice into .

“The reason for my earlier critical remark,” Baekhyun speaks again. “was made because, to me, you are most alluring when you adorn little to no embellishment. I know it is steered by my own selfish preference, but I prefer to have nothing come as a distraction to your remarkable natural beauty.”

“I do not desire an apology from you any more than I desire your good opinion of my appearance,” Mura says crisply, despite a rush of warmth filling her cheeks by the Crown Prince’s statement.

“Is it so? I suppose you find my brother’s good opinion more desirable than mine.” There’s a twinge of jealousy in Baekhyun’s tone. 

Mura looks at her husband in puzzlement.

“You were taken by a fit of giggles and flattery when my brother had given you a compliment earlier. Yet you deny that of your own husband.”

Mura scowls at what she perceives to be an absurd statement. “You ought to eat your meal, Choha, instead of speaking such nonsense.”

Baekhyun reacts to his consort’s words by falling into a sullen mood. 

The sky, too, descends into a glum state with the ashen, smoky clouds growing darker and darker before the sky hurls a bolt of lightning in indignation, followed by roaring thunder.

Fearing rain will soon come upon the earth, the banquet is dismissed unceremoniously. 

Baekhyun and Mura walk in the direction of the East Palace side by side in uncomfortable silence. Both are unsure how to break the tension brought on by their little tiff earlier.

It starts to drizzle and both Samnom and Madam Choi hasten to unfurl the umbrellas in their possession and use them to shade their respective masters from the precipitation. 

Their short journey to the East Palace continues when Baekhyun gets a puckish idea. He scuttles a few steps forward and away from the umbrella's shade before abruptly coming to a stop. 

Samnom hurries behind and upon catching up, holds up the umbrella over his master's head. 

But as soon as the eunuch does so, Baekhyun scuttles away again, causing the eunuch to chase after him before he abruptly comes to a stop, again.

Mura watches in amusement, as the Crown Prince plays his little game, much to the dismay of his eunuch. 

Choha, I urge you to stop this. You’re getting wet.” Samnom complains.

Mura smirks before she decides to mimic her husband, placing her lady-in-waiting the same plight as the Crown Prince’s eunuch. 

Mama,” Madam Choi cries. 

Baekhyun and Mura look at each other with eyes that sparkle with mischief and smiles that are just as wicked before teaming up to play this cat-and-mouse game with their respective attendants. 

The final time they playfully evade the umbrellas, Baekhyun clutches the Crown Princess’ wrist and sweeps her away. And this time they don’t stop as they make a run for it, hand in hand, leaving a trail of disarray behind them.

Choha!”

Mama, you will catch a chill!”

Samnom and Madam Choi shout, respectively, in distress while holding the umbrellas and chasing after the royal couple, along with the other retinue members. 

The rain picks up in tandem with their feet as it begins to pour heavily. The sound of Mura’s laughter echoes through the pitter-patter of the rainfall. A gush of wind comes to pass and that coupled with the movements of the run jostle the embellished braided wig around Mura’s head before it slips off and falls to the ground. Mura feels no regret from the loss, as she keeps on running with the Crown Prince.

Aigoo! Someone, pick it up!” Madam Choi commands one of the maids without stopping. 

Baekhyun leads Mura inside his quarters and then into his bed-chamber. The door closes behind them and they exchange a glance— breathless and utterly soaked— before sharing a delight-filled laugh.

They hear the concerned murmurings of their respective attendants, namely Samnom and Madam Choi, coming from the other side of the closed chamber door. They must have just entered the quarters.

Baekhyun removes his wet ikseongwan from his head and sets it aside to dry.

Mura senses the surge of warmth that had been emanating through her muscles, as a result of their short run, begin to drain, leaving her to shiver from the cold wetness that clings to her skin. 

Baekhyun advances toward her upon noticing. “Are you cold, Buin?”

“A little, yes,” Mura answers with a quivering voice. 

Baekhyun wipes his wet hands on his robe before using them to take his consort’s hands. “They are freezing.” He remarks on the chilling state of the other’s hand.

“Yours are warm.”

The Crown Prince rubs his palms against the back of Mura’s hands; transferring some of that warmth to her.

“How is this?” Baekhyun asks. 

“Pleasant.”

Baekhyun then cups the other’s hands before his mouth and blows warm air into them. 

Mura feels the misty warmth spread gently across her hands.

“And this?” Baekhyun asks. 

“Pleasant, as well.”

“You’re still shivering.” 

Baekhyun steps even closer, to the point where his chest nearly comes in contact with that of the Crown Princess. He then proceeds to rub his palms against her arms in the hopes that the friction would cause some heat to penetrate through her sleeves and into her skin.

The action does succeed in providing the necessary heat. But this, coupled with their proximity to each other, gives rise to another form of simmering heat inside Mura. A heat that feels more… intimate. They stand too close for comfort. Mura’s lengthy stature nearly matches that of the Crown Prince. The latter only exceeding in height by no more than about a finger’s length. Mura can discern every single droplet of rain that beads the Crown Prince’s face; like glistening dew on the surface of a leaf. She timidly stares into the pair of obsidian eyes that appear soft.

“Pleasant?” Baekhyun murmurs.

Mura can only nod.

Baekhyun’s hands then move in an upward trajectory. Running smoothly over the plains of the other’s arms and the curves of the other’s shoulders before settling on the other’s neck. To provide additional warmth, of course, Baekhyun reasons with himself.

The mild warmth emitting from the Crown Prince’s palms manages to sizzle against the skin of Mura’s neck. Her gaze drops and she takes in a small, discreet breath.

“Still pleasant?” Baekhyun asks.

The air around Mura grows thicker and harder to inhale. “P-perhaps I should return to my quarters and change out of these wet clothes.” Her gaze continues to hang low. 

“Yes, perhaps you should,” Baekhyun murmurs in agreement. 

Despite his words, Baekhyun does nothing to make way for the other to leave. And Mura dares not to move either. Or that she can’t; her body seemingly experiencing a state of paralysis.

Baekhyun’s gaze travels to his consort's mouth where it makes itself at home. He doesn’t know what possesses over him, but he finds one of his hands detaching from his consort’s neck before its thumb tenderly drawing a horizontal line along her lower lip.

Mura’s breath hitches. The touch tickles her lip. The remnants of the frosty shell melt and shed off her body, giving way for a billow of unfamiliar but delightful heat to course through her veins. Mura's eyes lift gently to make contact with those of the man before her. The Crown Prince’s obsidian eyes seemingly study her countenance as if searching for something. 

Baekhyun searches his consort’s expression for any hint of displeasure. He looks intently into her copper-tinted eyes for any sign of apprehension. To his utter delight, he finds none. If the plushness of her bottom lip feels so irresistibly soft against his thumb, how might it feel against his lips? Baekhyun wishes to find out and a flurry of excitement grips him and branches across the tips of his fingers, down to the crest of his toes at the prospect

Baekhyun lowers his head slightly in an effort to inch his face close to the Crown Princess’. He then stops midway and waits for her response. His consort does nothing to pull away. In fact, she closes her eyes, seemingly in an invitation. 

Emboldened by it, Baekhyun’s face ventures closer. His oval-shaped lips are now so close to the Crown Princess’ full ones that if he leans in any further they are sure to come in contact. With that in mind, he goes for the final plunge.

Hic!

Baekhyun stills before their lips can touch. The Crown Princess’ eyes fling wide open before her body jolts sharply accompanied by the familiar staccato sound, he had just heard a moment ago, escape . 

Hic!

Baekhyun pulls away out of concern.

Hic! 

Buin, are you all right?”

Hic!

“It seems I’ve been—” Hic! “I’ve been inflicted—” Hic! “With hiccups.” Hic! “Please excuse me, Choha.” 

The Crown Princess hastens out of the chamber, leaving a stunned Baekhyun to reflect upon all that transpired. And all that didn’t. 

Mura runs. She hiccups. She runs through the corridors of the Crown Prince’s quarters, past his servants, past her own attendants— her pestering lady-in-waiting— as they follow behind her. She hiccups some more. She runs across the courtyard in the rain and inside her quarters then through the corridors that lead to her bed-chamber. She shuts the door to her chamber on her attendants before leaning back against it. 

Her chest heaves up and down. Partly due to the exertion of running, and partly due to nerves brought on by the puzzling occurrence in the Crown Prince’s chamber moments ago.

Sensations from the Crown Prince’s touch linger on her skin. She retraces the phantom touches with her fingertips; gently brushing them along her neck and jaw before sweeping them over her bottom lip. 

Were she and the Crown Prince truly about to kiss?

No, no, no, what had she been thinking? Clearly, she hadn’t been thinking at all.

Unable to remain standing on her trembling legs, Mura settles on the floor and drops her head over her knees. She’s rattled and confused; her mind in shambles.

At least, she finds relief from those wretched hiccups. 

 

 ╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

A/N: Ooooh la la ;)