(sipsa)

Under the Peach Tree

 

Following the conclusion of the investiture ceremony, a banquet commences. 

Mura and Baekhyun now sit in the throne hall gallery, as wedding guests approach their table to congratulate them and shower them with wedding gifts.

A young maiden approaches their table. "OraboniSejabin-mama1, my heartfelt congratulations to you both." She wishes the newlyweds with a bow. "I'm Gongju2 Hwa-In, the Crown Prince's younger sister." She introduces herself to her new sister-in-law.

"Really?" Mura smiles widely. "So delighted to make your acquaintance!" She expresses excitedly. "You do resemble the Crown Prince quite a bit. It is as though I'm looking at the prince himself in women's clothing."

Hwa-In giggles. "He does possess quite feminine features, does he not?"

Baekhyun frowns at the remark. "Or, it is rather you, who bears masculine features."

"Masculine or feminine, it matters not. A handsome face is a handsome face, regardless. Something with which you both have been blessed," Mura tells them. 

Baekhyun can't help but blush at the compliment, which is immediately followed by a feeling of contempt for himself. What is the matter with him?

The three chat for a bit longer before Hwa-in returns to her seat. 

The greetings with the other guests continue. At some point, Mura finds her attention being locked on one of the embroidered pheasants on her ceremonial robe, so she doesn't notice the next guest approaching. 

"Seja-choha, Sejabin-mama."

Mura hears a voice greeting them, so she quickly looks up. The face that she sees before her looks awfully familiar. She squints at the man before her eyes grow wide with recognition. "You!"

Baekhyun shoots his consort a perplexed look.

"It is you—the man of influence. Are you not? Do you remember me?" Mura questions the man in front of her.

"Have you met my brother before?" Baekhyun questions his bride.

"Brother?" Mura mutters before she suddenly remembers the circumstance under which she had met the man, who also happens to be a royal. Alas, what if he reports her to the Queen for sneaking out of the detached palace?

The man smiles politely. "Allow me to introduce myself. I am Gun3 Jongin, the Crown Prince's older half-brother. And to answer your question, Choha, no, I do not believe the Crown Princess and I have met before today."

Mura internally sighs in relief. It seems the man has forgotten about their encounter. "Ah, yes. I apologize, I must have mistaken you for someone else."

"It is quite all right," Jongin says. 

"Hyungnim4, I do not see Gunbuin5." Baekhyun inquires about his sister-in-law.

"Ah, yes, she hasn't been feeling well all week. Please, excuse her absence."

"Of course, of course," Baekhyun says. "She must prioritize her health during such times."

"Is she ill?" Mura asks.

"My wife and I are expecting our first child," Jongin answers. 

"Oh, congratulations! It must be such happy times for you both," Mura says.

"Yes, it is." Jongin offers a small smile. 

"Hyungnim, I must say, I am overjoyed to see you," Baekhyun expresses. "It has been a while. You have stopped frequenting the palace." 

"Forgive me, my dear brother. Due to Gunbuin's difficult pregnancy, she's been needing additional care from me. I hope you can understand."

"Ah, of course. Excuse my thoughtlessness. Regardless, I am grateful you could grace me with your presence today." 

"I am much elated to have been able to witness your union." Jongin relays. "Anyway, I shall not keep the others waiting much longer. My congratulations to you both." He then bows. "It has been a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Sejabin-mama."

Mura bows back. "Likewise, Gun-mama."

Once the greetings conclude, the festivities of the wedding continue with a feast accompanied by some music and dances. Then, it all ends just before dusk, and Mura cannot be any happier. 

She is escorted to her new residence, which is across from the Crown Prince's quarters in the East Palace. 

"Hurry, hurry, hurry. Take it off." Mura rushes Janshil to take off the headdress as soon as she enters her chamber. "Aigoo, my neck," Mura moans as the maid lifts off the headdress. She stretches her neck a bit before collapsing on her bed. "I am utterly exhausted. I am accustomed to activities much more strenuous than this, yet, somehow, this has been the most tiring task I've ever had to perform." Mura begins to drift off.

"Mama, you may not fall asleep," warns Madam Choi. 

"May I rest just for a moment? Please?"

"I'm afraid, you do not have that luxury. The Crown Prince shall be here momentarily for the consummation."

The mention of consummation causes Mura's eyes to open wide. She had almost forgotten that she was expected to lay with the Crown Prince tonight. 

Mura lazily sits up with a displeased expression. "I do not wish to consummate."

"You do not have a choice. You are required to produce an heir and for that to happen you must first consummate your marriage. It is part of your duty as the crown princess."

Mura whines petulantly. "Fine! Janshil-ah, fetch me something comfortable to wear."

"You must stay in your ceremonial garb, Mama. It is tradition for the bridegroom to disrobe his bride on their wedding night," Madam Choi informs.

"Aish, why do you despise me so, Choi Sanggung?"

"Your assumption could not be farther from the truth. I am simply doing my part as your lady-in-waiting, Mama."

Mura responds to her lady-in-waiting by mockingly showing her the tongue.

A few moments later the maids come in with a small table of drinks and set it in front of Mura, who sits on a cushion on the floor. 

"We shall be outside. Call for us if you require anything," Madam Choi tells Mura before proceeding to leave the room.

"Choi Sanggung," Mura calls.

"Yes, Mama."

"I am afraid."

Madam Choi notices the subtle fear in Mura's eyes. For most women, losing their chastity is a significant step. Offering one's body to a strange man cannot be an easy task for any woman. So, she does sympathize with her mistress. 

"You need not be afraid, Mama. He is your husband, after all."

"What if I do something wrong?"

"You mustn't worry. Leave everything to the Crown Prince."

"What if it hurts?"

"That is something you must endure."

"You say that a lot."

"I'm afraid that is the life of women. We must constantly endure hardships."

Mura pouts. 

"You may ask the Crown Prince to be gentle with you. I am certain he will comply." Feeling sorry for the Crown Princess' plight, Madam Choi leaves the room.

"Mama, the Crown Prince is here."

Mura hears from outside of her chamber door moments later.

She quickly stands up before Baekhyun enters the room and she bows to him. Her heartbeat quickens at the sight of her groom. This is truly about to happen. A strange man will see her bare body tonight. Mura had never even dreamed of such a thing and had never thought she would be in a situation like so. She keeps thinking back to what Madam Choi said—simply lay there. Just lay there and accept him.

Baekhyun isn't fairing any better. As soon as he enters Mura's chamber, his maids remove his outer robe. The maids then exit the chamber, leaving Baekhyun and Mura all alone. His stomach twists in knots. He can't even properly make himself look his bride in the eye, how is he supposed to bed her? He gingerly walks towards the small table and takes his seat opposite the Crown Princess. 

Mura sits down after her bridegroom does. There is a prolonged awkward silence as neither knows what to say or do.

"Choha, please, pour yourself and the Crown Princess some wine." Comes a court lady's voice from outside of the chamber door. 

Baekhyun heeds the instruction and goes on to pour the wine. Both he and Mura swallow the entire content in the cup in one go. 

"One more?" Baekhhyun asks. The first thing he says to the other since he has entered the room.

"Yes, please." Mura is quick to answer. 

Baekhyun pours another cup, and they take the drink in one go, again. 

"Choha, please, disrobe the Crown Princess." Comes again the voice of the court lady.

"Will they stay there the entire time?" Mura asks, horrified at the prospect. 

"Leave us!" Baekhyun commands.

"As you wish, Choha," The court lady says before all the other attendants follow her out. 

Baekhyun directs his attention at his bride. His hands shake as he slowly moves the drink table out of the way, and with equally shaky hands he reaches for the other's robe tie. 

Even though Mura is vigilant, and her heart drums aggressively against her chest, it does not prevent a rather loud yawn from slipping out of just as Baekhyun pulls on her robe tie.

Baekhyun immediately stops and peers up at her. "Are you tired?"

Mura clears . "Ye-yes, slightly. My apologies."

Within seconds Baekhyun is up on his feet. "How thoughtless of me, I had completely forgotten you had not been feeling your best today. After what had occurred earlier today, I feel it is best if you rest tonight. Goodnight."

Before Mura can even get a word in, Baekhyun is already out of the door. Her initial shock is then quickly replaced with relief. At least, for the time being, she does not need to worry about laying with the Crown Prince. She thanks Buddha and calls for Janshil so she can finally take off all these layers of clothing. 

Meanwhile, Samnom and the others follow the Crown Prince back to his quarters. 

"What happened, Choha?" Samnom asks. 

"The Crown Princess is still weak from earlier. She should rest tonight."

"I see."

"I am quite exhausted, myself. Blow out the candles, I wish to get my own rest."

"As you wish, Choha." Samnom extinguishes all the candles, save for one, before exiting the Crown Prince's chamber. 

Once in bed, Baekhyun recalls all that has taken place today. It all feels like a strange dream. A part of him wishes it to be so. The most strange of them all is how he feels when he's around his new bride. Never has anything ever invoked such a strong feeling in Baekhyun. He is equally vexed and fascinated. Baekhyun closes his eyes and hopes whatever it is, it leaves his thoughts after a good night's sleep.

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Translations:

1. Sejabin-mama: Your/her highness, the crown princess. Sejabin means crown princess, and mama means your/her highness.

2. Gongju: Royal princess. Title given to legitimate daughters of the king with the queen.

3. Gun (goon): Royal Prince. Title given to illegitimate sons of the king with his concubines.

4. Hyungnim: Formal form of hyung.

5. Gunbuin: Title given to a wife of a gun.

 

                                                                           

A/N: You didn't think they would do the deed so soon in the story, did you? ;) It isn't a slow burn for no reason. And, Surprise! Jongin is Baekhyun's half-brother! Uh oh...