(isibi)

Under the Peach Tree

A/N: Please, excuse any mistakes.

 

 

It is high noon and Mura waits with eager anticipation for the arrival of her cousins on the steps of the east pavilion. True to his words, the Crown Prince had his office issue entrance permits to the royal palace for her cousins. It is going to be a long-awaited reunion, thus the Crown Princess has called for a feast to celebrate it.

In the not too far distance, Mura discerns a flock of individuals being escorted by a eunuch in the direction of the east pavilion.

They're here!

Mura's spirits soar with uncontainable glee while her heartbeat picks up with sheer excitement. And, within seconds, her beloved cousins appear before her. 

Mura grins from ear to ear. "Dearest cousins!" 

"Nui!" Sehun calls out with excitement and sets his foot forward with the intention of running to and hugging his precious cousin. He is, however, stopped with a reach of an arm, courtesy of Junmyeon, who blocks his path. The older then shakes his head at the younger, and the latter stills in disappointment. 

"Sejabin-mama." Junmyeon greets his royal cousin and bows. 

The others follow suit. 

Watching her cousins greet her with formal bows proves just as strange to Mura as it does when her parents do it. In fact, it somehow feels even more awkward. She wishes she could run to them and gather them in a loving embrace. But, alas, that would be considered highly inappropriate, as warned by Madam Choi. 

"I cannot believe you all stand before me in flesh. One couldn't possibly measure the degree of happiness I am experiencing at present. Oh, it is truly so good to see you, beloved cousins." Mura expresses with joy.

The boys appear equally jovial to have been reunited with loving their cousin.

"The pleasure is all ours, Mama." Minseok relays on behalf of them all.

Mura feels the absence of one prominent figure. "Wish Chanyeol oraboni were here among us." 

The said man, unfortunately, hadn't been able to obtain furlough from his duties.

"I pray you shall reunite with him soon." Junmeyon consoles.

Jongdae whispers to Kyunsoo. "I feel as though my eyes deceive me. Our Mura is actually the Crown Princess Consort. It feels like a fever-induced dream."

"Indeed." Kyungsoo mutters, equally bemused. Is he truly looking at the same Mura? Their Mura?

"Come, let us settle inside." Mura leads her guests inside the pavilion. 

The Crown Princess is to sit in the center, while guests are to be seated in two parallel columns, on either side of her. In this manner, the Crown Princess will face the guests, while the guests will be facing one another. 

The men are gestured towards their seats by a eunuch. They wait for the Crown Princess to sit first before assuming their own seats. Sehun, Junmyeon, and Minseok, in that order, sit to Mura's left. And, across from them, to Mura's right, sit Jongdae and Kyungsoo.

"I hope you all have come with empty stomachs. I have requested the kitchen to prepare a special meal for us." Mura turns her attention to the youngest. "Sehun-ah, I have asked them to prepare braised seabream, your favorite."

"Thank you, Nu---" Sehun stops and quickly corrects himself. "I mean, thank you, Mama. That is very generous of you." 

"Oho, enough with the formalities. Sehun-ah, be as you always were with me. Hmm?"

Sehun smiles and nods. "Mama, I must say, you look remarkable. Royalty suits you."

Mura giggles with mirth. "Is it so?"

"You do, indeed, look exceptionally beautiful." Junmyeon chimes in. "Have you been well, Mama? Do you find your life in the royal palace to be a happy one?"

Mura, without even looking, is all too aware of the chiding eyes of Madam Choi telling her to not speak ill of the royal palace to outsiders, and thus, answers diplomatically. "It has been challenging, at times. However, slowly but surely, I am adjusting to the court life." 

"What about the Crown Prince? Is he agreeable? Do you get on with him?" Minseok queries.

"We had a rather stony start, but we have turned a new leaf and have, since, become friends." 

"I'm glad to hear it. Please, relay our gratitude to him for granting us the permission to visit you." Minseok says.

"I shall."

"Do you fancy him?" Kyungsoo asks.

Mura laughs awkwardly, staggered by the question. A laugh she lets out when she feels embarrassed and/or uncomfortable. It is a mixture of giggles and guffaws. "What nonsense?"

"Nonsense? He is your husband, is he not? It is perfectly normal to wonder about such a thing." Kyungsoo points out.

Mura laughs again. No, she does not fancy the Crown Prince, but she cannot brazenly admit to it in the open. Madam Choi has forbidden her to do so. Apparently, it may render the prince undesirable in the eyes of many, and heavens forbid the crown prince--- the future king of this nation--- should ever be regarded as undesirable.

"Leave it, Kyungsoo-ah. Our Crown Princess is clearly too shy to admit her affections for the Crown Prince. Look at how flushed she has become." Jongdae flutters his eyebrows teasingly.

Mura contorts her face. "Kyungsoo-ah, the entrance exam to the royal academy is next month, is it not? How are the preparations coming along?" She changes the subject.

"They are coming along quite well," Kyungsoo answers confidently.

"What about you, Jongdae-ah? Do you feel prepared?" Mura asks. 

Jongdae seems to hesitate. "Mama, have I mentioned how regal you look?" he sings, instead of answering the question.

Mura squints at her cousin's sudden urge to compliment her. "Aigoo, Jongdae-ah, you are not as crafty as you believe yourself to be. Changing the subject won't make you any more prepared for the exams." 

"The matter of the entrance exam is a sore subject, thus I wish to not speak of it." Jongdae dramatizes.

Mura snorts. "Very well."

They all move on to a different topic of conversation, and soon after, their meal is served.

"Wah, wah." Jongdae revels in the taste of the food. "Is the food in the royal palace always this delicious?"

"It's quite excellent, is it not?" Mura says. "The food here is, indeed, unmatched." 

"I haven't tasted anything more scrumptious thus far in my existence. Although a pity. Henceforth, nothing I eat shall taste as savory as the food made in the royal kitchen. The palace is, indeed, blessed with the favors of the heavens as they claim." Jongdae states. "Mu-- Mama, you are one fortunate woman, I tell you." Jongdae states before inserting more chopsticks full of food into his mouth. 

"Mama," Janshil whispers in Mura's ear. "I believe Gongju-mama is coming in our direction."

Mura cranes her neck in order to ascertain for herself, and indeed, the Royal Princess is walking in the direction of the east pavilion. 

"Ya!" Mura whisper shouts at her cousins. "Rise."

They all give her puzzled expressions. 

"Rise!" Mura repeats, motioning with her hands. "Quickly!"

They all set down their chopsticks and promptly stand up, and just then the princess enters the pavilion. 

As soon as she appears within the plane of his vision, Jongdae is immediately captivated by the princess' beauty. The Royal Princess wears a lovely shade of lavender dangui that complements her pearly skin with just the perfect amount of rosy undertone. Her long ebony hair is adorned with delicate ornaments and made into a single braid--- indicating her status as an unmarried maiden. Her round, full face is indicative of a young age. She could not be more than seventeen or eighteen years of age, Jongdae estimates. Who is this beauty? Jongdae wonders. 

The Princess greets her sister-in-law with a graceful bow. "Mama."

Mura returns the bow. "Gongju, what a lovely surprise."

"I had been on my way to your residence with the intent of paying you a visit when I noticed your presence in the pavilion. However, I was not aware you were preoccupied with company. My deepest apologies for the intrusion."

Jongdae is taken aback by the matured deepness of the Princess' voice, which contradicts her youthful appearance but is not unpleasant by any means. Rather, it is smooth and velvety, adding only to the allure. 

"No need for apologies, Gongju. I am delighted to see you. Truly." Mura turns to her guests. "Cousins, this is Princess Hwa-In---daughter to the King and the Queen, and younger sister to the Crown Prince."

Mura's cousins greet the princess with a ninety-degree bow.

"Gongju, they're my cousins."  Mura proceeds to introduce them to her sister-in-law, one by one. "....and, this is Jongdae."

"It-it is an honor, Gongju-mama." Jongdae offers a small bow. He cannot fathom he is in the presence of such allure, one who also happens to be a princess.

Hwa-In returns his bow before sharing a glance with him that lasts slightly longer than it had with the others before him. Eventually, the Princess' elegantly deep brown, large ox-like orbs were forced to shift away from Jongdae's deep brown beady ones, in order to greet the next person being introduced. 

"Gongju, would you care to join us?" Mura asks once the introductions were completed. 

Jongdae's interest perks up by the invitation. This would bring a perfect opportunity to further ogle at the princess. Perhaps, even share a few words with the beautiful dove. He prays for the Princess to accept it.

Hwa-In is about to answer, seemingly in acceptance of the invitation, when her lady-in-waiting whispers something in her ear, which causes the princess' face to fall; even though she tries her best to not display her disappointment. "I would have loved to, however I have already had my afternoon meal. I'm afraid, I must, regretfully, decline your invitation, Mama."

Jongdae becomes crestfallen.

"I see. Perhaps, you could oblige me for a late afternoon walk later?" Mura suggests.

"It would be my pleasure. Well, I shall take my leave now and, again, I apologize for the intrusion." She bows to the Crown Princess one last time before making her exit.

Jongdae watches the princess walk away, dejectedly.

"Could you be more obvious?" Kyunsoo remarks.

Jongdae's attention shifts to his cousin. "What do you mean?"

"You were gazing at the princess like a starved beggar longingly gazing at a fresh bowl of food. It's a miracle you didn't end up salivating all over your chin" 

"Can you truly blame me? You've seen her with your own owl eyes. She is gorgeous!" 

"Well, you will be wise to keep your appreciation for Her Highness' beauty discreet, unless you wish to be apprehended by the palace for leering at their Royal Princess." 

Kyungsoo is correct, Jongdae thinks. He quickly surveys for any scrutinizing eyes that may be directed towards him, but, thankfully, he sees none. He returns his attention to the delicious meal before him and the company around him, while willing himself to cease all thoughts of the stunning beauty. 

Meanwhile, some distance away, Baekhyun stops in his path and looks on to the east pavilion. The sound of murmurs and laughter reaches him. His gaze locks on Mura's lively demeanor. She appears happy in the most genuine way like Baekhyun has never seen before. It fills him with a sense of comfort and a desire to always view his consort immersed in such happiness. The corners of Baekhyun's lips tug, ever so slightly.

"Choha..." Samnom calls out. "Do you wish to greet the Crown Princess and her guests?"

Baekhyun is pulled out of his musings. "No." With that, he resumes his walk towards his intended destination. 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

Baekhyun is in another one of the pavilions inside the palace, playing and practicing with his dang-bipa. His attention is focused, as his fingers skillfully pluck over the four strings of the lute; rich melodious sound reverberates with each pluck of the strings. 

The day is drawing to an end, the sun is gradually sinking below the horizon, and all the lanterns have been lit in preparation for the darkness that will soon befall.

"Choha!"

Baekhyun hears the loud call of his name over the sound of the lute. He stops and looks up to find the Crown Princess approaching him. 

Mura bows at her husband. "Choha, I have been looking for you."

"What may I do for you, Sejabin?" Baekhyun asks.

"My cousins came to see me today. Oh, we had the loveliest time, and it is all thanks to you. My cousins were immensely grateful for your grace, I came to relay their gratitude to you."

Baekhyun raises his palm. "You have thanked me enough, Sejabin. I'm delighted to hear you had a lovely time with your cousins."

Mura nods. "Yes! As you can see, I cannot stop myself from smiling." She giggles. 

To Baekhyun's surprise, instead of leaving, his consort sits herself down before him. The Crown Prince's attendants all share nervous glances knowing full well how much their master cherishes his tranquil time with his bipa, and detests being interrupted during this time. 

"After my cousins left, I took a pleasant stroll with Gongju. Your sister is such a sweet soul..." Mura recounts her delightful walk with her sister-in-law and shares how she was chased by a bee, who had refused to leave her alone. "Anyway, how has your day been, Choha?" 

The attendants have been dreadfully awaiting their master's eventual outburst for having been interrupted, however it never comes. 

Baekhyun, himself, is surprised by his lack of annoyance at his consort's unwelcome presence. Although, it's not truly unwelcomed.

"My day?" The Crown Prince utters.

"Mhm." Mura nods. 

"It was like any other day." 

"What have you done today?" Mura further questions.

Although, Baekhyun does not understand the Crown Princess' curiosity about his day, he supplies her with an answer, nonetheless; citing everything he's done, which wasn't much different to what he had done yesterday, or the day before; or the one prior to that. 

But, the Crown Princess listens with rapt attention, and Baekhyun finds that there is some novelty to sharing the summary of his activities, at the end of a day. It is therapeutic to the mind.

Mura huffs. "You are such a busy man, Choha. It must be pleasant to enjoy a bit of music after a day's work."

Baekhyun's eyes flit to the lute on his lap. "Ah, yes. Yes, it does."

"Will you be so kind to oblige me with a piece?"

"You wish for me to play you a piece?"

"A short one would suffice, if you don't mind. It's just you play so beautifully."

"Very well." Baekhyun didn't have the heart to deny his consort's request. Not when she appears so enthusiastic about it.

After contemplating which piece to serenade his consort with, the Crown Prince proceeds to play. His right hand moves up and down the neck of the lute, pressing his fingers over the strings at various points in quick succession, while the fingers of his left hand busy themselves plucking the strings on the body in swift yet precise motions. The result of which is a high-pitched cheery and celebratory tune that entices Mura to get up and dance. However, she has enough restraint to prevent herself from doing so.

Baekhyun ends the piece with a loud strum. 

"Waaah!" Mura voices, and follows it with applause. She looks to all the servants-in-waiting and prompts them to clap, as well.

The attendants all look to each other before looking at the Crown Prince, uncertain if they should before succumbing to the expectant expression on the Crown Princess' face. They all begin to applause reluctantly and Mura's smile broadens, as she claps harder. 

Baekhyun, on the other hand, succumbs to embarrassment at the Crown Princess' reaction. "That's enough clapping." He says. 

In the case of the servants, the applause ceases immediately. Mura's applause, however, tapers out gradually.

"Choha, that was splendid! You are truly gifted with the bipa. My ears have been blessed."

Baekhyun lowers his gaze sheepishly. "You are far too generous with your praise, Sejabin."

"I am inclined to disagree. It is appropriately due. A talent such as yours warrants only the highest praise." Mura proclaims. 

Baekhyun can't help but smile bashfully. "Thank you." He feels heat rise to cheeks and ears.

"Aigoo, no need to feel shy, Choha. We are friends, after all, are we not?" Mura says, crinkling her button nose in an endearing way.

Baekhyun chuckles softly, a little embarrassed to be caught blushing. "Yes, of course...we're friends."

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝ 

 

 

A/N: Mura finally got to see her cousins! No Chanyeol, though :( And, also, new couple alert... Jongdae and Hwa-In! What??!

Happy New Year, guys! Hope 2022 will bring you joy, adventure, and everything that is good! If you made resolutions, hope you achieve them!

Until next time! <3 <3 <3