(sipgu)

Under the Peach Tree

 

"Mama, easy." Madam Choi tells her mistress, who's scurrying ahead of her. 

"We must hurry so as to not miss it." The Crown Princess says.

Mura has come to learn that a small traveling troupe is currently performing in the back quarters of the palace, where all the palace attendants reside. Deeply interested, she had decided to join in as an audience. Even though, the troupe is there for the entertainment of the attendants only---- they are not there on a visit mandated for the royals. So, basically, Mura is planning to attend it uninvited, but she couldn't be bothered by that. This is her opportunity to experience some exciting reprieve from the monotony of the palace living.

Mura turns her head to look behind and sees her retinue scurrying behind her, and something playful sparks in her.  "Catch me if you can." She challenges her attendants before picking up her skirt slightly and proceeding to run. 

"Mama, slow down!" Madam Choi shouts as she, and the other attendants, pick up their pace to catch up to their mistress.

Mura twists her neck to taunt her entourage further by sticking out her tongue. With her head turned behind her, Mura fails to see the incoming figure in her path and thus, unceremoniously, clashes with it. As soon as she does, Mura quickly turns back her head around to face the figure donning the familiar crimson court robe with a gold dragon emblem. 

Mura's retinue gasps behind her at the sight of their mistress running into none other than the King, himself. 

Mura's eyes grow comically large with panic. "Chonha!" She exclaims with fear before dropping to her hands and knees before the King. Her retinue mimics her by dropping to the ground themselves. "Forgive my insolence, Chonha. I had been careless and had, inadvertently, collided with you. I shall accept whatever punishment you deem fit... although, I shall beg you to spare me just this once."

The King laughs in mirth. "Rise, Sejabin."

Mura slowly gets up on her feet. She makes a doleful expression as her gaze remains lowered. "My sincerest apologies, Chonha."

The King chuckles. "You must tread with caution, Sejabin. We do not wish for you to hurt yourself, now do we?"

Mura shakes her head.

"Care for a walk with me?" The King asks. 

"I am at your disposal, Chonha." Mura becomes disheartened that she'll have to miss the performance of the troupe. It is what it is.

The two begin to stroll with their retinues following behind them. 

"We haven't actually socialized since the wedding, have we?" The King states.

"Your Majesty has a nation to run, you can't possibly exhaust your much precious time on a humble subject as me."

"Oh, you are no ordinary subject of mine. You are family now, and most importantly, the Crown Princess Consort of this nation. However, it is rather true that, lately, I have been immensely preoccupied with matters of the state. Far more than usual. With a civil war waging in the north, things have been challenging, to say the least."

"As a king, you must constantly have to tackle all sorts of trials and tribulations. I do not envy your position."

"Indeed. Nevertheless, my purpose in life is to govern this nation and its people. I view it more as a blessing---something which is granted to only a select and fortunate few by the heavens--- for which I am infinitely grateful. I wish for nothing more than to see my people prosper."

"Is that what makes you a great king?"

"Oh, I do not know about that. That is for my people to decide. Why, do you regard me as such?"

"I suppose."

The King chuckles. "You seem unsure."

Mura grows nervous, fearing she had offended the king. "No, I am certain of it. My father regards you with the highest approbation, so you ought to be great." She chuckles nervously. 

"So, you're implying that my distinction as king is pertinent to the second state councilor's approval of me?"

"No!" Mura sighs regretfully. "I have offended you, haven't I? I apologize, Chonha, for I am not the most well-spoken soul. My cousin, Kyungsoo, did often encourage me to improve on my eloquence; however, I had always dismissed his advice."

The King lets out another amused laugh. "Do not fret, Sejabin. I merely spoke in jest."

"Really?" Mura asks, surprised. 

"Why so shocked? Am I not allowed to jest with my daughter-in-law?"

"Of course you are!" Mura assures. "It is simply unexpected. The palace is such a solemn place."

"Do you dislike it here?"

"Huh? No, no, of course not. I adore this place." Mura tries to sound as convincing as possible.

The King studies her face. "It seems, along with being an inept speaker, you are also an inept liar, Sejabin."

Mura's face turns be. It seems she can do nothing right. She defeatedly bows ninety degrees. "My ardent apologies, Chonha. Please, punish this impudent subject of yours."

The King snickers. "I must say, you are full of amusement, Sejabin. You are not in peril, I assure you. As you were."

Mura straightens her posture. 

"Your father did warn me that you may find the palace to be less than satisfactory. I can only hope you grow to admire it with time. I will admit, this place can get rather dull. Tell me, is there something I may do for you to make your time here a bit more rousing?"

Mura thinks intently. "Actually..." She then shakes her head. "Nevermind, there is nothing."

"It is a rather attractive opportunity for you to ask of anything from your king. Are you certain you wish to let it pass you by? I may never ask again." 

Mura purses her lips. What does she have to lose? "Since Your Majesty, himself, has presented me with this opportunity, I... I would like to pray for your permission to allow me to practice my swordsmanship, if possible." Her voice tapers out at the end.

The King hums. "Have you asked the Queen?"

"I have."

"And?"

"Well, the Queen Dowager had been present, as well, at the time of my asking the Queen and she had, unfortunately, denied my request."

"Ah, I see. The thing is, as a woman of the palace, you are under the authority of the Queen and her court, and I am not to meddle in its affairs if it does not directly concern me."

Mura didn't harbor much hope when she asked the King, but she can't help but feel some disappointment. 

"However, if we keep the matter away from the Queen Dowager's notice, I'm sure it could be arranged."

"Really?" Mura's expression is equally shocked and delighted. 

"It could be our little secret." The King displays a playful smirk.

"But, what if we are discovered? I do not wish for Your Majesty to be in any predicament with the Queen Dowager on my account."

"Hence, it is essential that we exercise discretion to the most and at all cost." The King turns to Madam Choi. "Am I understood?" He voices in an almost threatening manner to make sure the Crown Princess' head lady-in-waiting, along with her other attendants, does not disclose this agreement to the queen's court.

Madam Choi nervously bows. "A--as you wish, Chonha."

The King turns to his daughter-in-law. "In that case, you have my permission."

Mura beams with joy. "Thank you, Chonha!" She goes on her knees to offer a deep bow to the King in order to express her gratitude. "Your grace is truly immeasurable."

The King smiles. "You may rise."

Mura stands back on her feet. "I must say, you are not at all how I imagined you to be, Chonha."

"Is that so?"

"I had pictured Your Majesty to be unapproachable and petrifying. However, you're quite genial and liberal, it seems. Not to mention, immensely generous." Mura grins. 

The King smiles back and affectionately pats her head. He does carry some guilt for practically coercing the Park family into handing their daughter to the royal family against their true wishes. Hence, he is happy to do something for his new daughter-in-law as a small reward for her sacrifice. 

 

 ╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

Baekhyun takes his usual afternoon stroll with his retinue in tow. The summer sun gleams with warm brightness, kissing Baekhyun's face gently. Baekhyun happily basks in it. It is no secret, summer is his favorite season.

"You seem blissful." Comments Chaewoon, the prince's bodyguard.

"It is a fine day."

"Indeed." The guard agrees. "I've been thinking, Choha..."

"About?"

"What is your opinion of the Crown Princess?"

Something swirls in Baekhyun's gut at the mention of his consort. Not at all unpleasant. "Why do you ask?"

"Well, I remember your disinclination for your marriage before it had taken place. Now that you have been married for weeks, has your outlook changed?"

"I do not know. Truthfully, I haven't thought of it much."

"And, your opinion of the Crown Princess?"

"I have not associated with her enough to form a fair and educated judgment of her."

"How about an initial impression?"

Baekhyun his head and ponders. "She's... there's quite a childlike quality to her, I've noticed. Which is funny considering her age exceeds mine by four years. Yet, I feel as though her maturity is less evolved in comparison to mine. Isn't that strange?" The corner of his lip quirks up.

Chaewoon smirks. "Do you find it endearing, Choha?"

Baekhyun frowns slightly. "I didn't say that."

"Not verbally." Chaewoon gives a sly smile.

Baekhyun shoots his personal guard a sharp, displeased glare before focusing his gaze ahead of him. 

They make it to the garden close to the crown prince and princess' quarters, where they hear the cries of a woman coming from a specific direction. So, they follow the voice to find it belonging to the lady-in-waiting of the Crown Princess. She, along with the other maids of the Crown Princess, is standing underneath the peach tree in the garden, looking up at the tree branches with concern.

Baekhyun witnesses a single peach drop from the tree then being picked up from the ground immediately after by one of the maids. She seems to be holding a few of them in her arms. Someone is on the tree branches, but Baekhyun can't see who it is. Curious, he proceeds to move closer to the tree.

"Mama, I beg of you, please come down." Madam Choi cries. 

As Baekhyun draws closer to the tree, he notices a figure that vaguely looks like to be that of the Crown Princess, standing on one of the branches, seemingly picking peaches. Another piece of fruit falls to the ground.  

Madam Choi gasps in alarm upon noticing the Crown Prince, as he now stands directly under the tree. She and the rest of the attendants of the Crown Princess bow to him.

Baekhyun can now clearly view Mura up on a branch, trying to reach for one of the ripe peaches; unaware of the Prince's presence. "Sejabin?"

Mura's head shoots below to find the Crown Prince standing there. "Choha?" She exclaims and in a moment of fluster, loses her footing, which causes her to slip and fall to her descent. Mura lets out a frightful shriek.

So do her attendants. "Mama!"

Baekhyun's eyes widen with panic at the sight and on reflex, he swiftly steps forward and safely catches his falling consort. 

Mura, who has her eyes tightly shut, slowly opens one of them. She had expected herself to be on the hard ground, instead, she finds herself hanging on tightly by the neck of a man, while the man's arms are wrapped around the back of her knees and her waist. 

Both of her eyes fling open, and she leans back to take a look at the said man. She sees the terrified look of the Crown Prince. "Choha?" 

Baekhyun continues to stare at her with wide eyes, still processing everything. 

Mura takes a quick glance below at the ground. "Choha, you have saved me!" She cries with elation.

"Are--are you all right?" Baekhyun inquires, while he continues to stare dumbly. 

"Thanks to you, I am."

Baekhyun doesn't say anything back, as he awkwardly holds on to the Crown Princess. 

After a few seconds of silence, Mura takes it upon herself to speak again. "You may put me down, Choha."

Baekhyun blinks, seemingly breaking out of his stupor. "Ah, yes." He gently places his consort on her feet.

Mura's attendants sigh in relief. Madam Choi was about to have a heart attack.

"Phew, my, my, Choha. Hadn't it been for you, I would have surely broken a hip today." Mura expresses with relief.

Baekhyun folds his hands behind his back. "You shouldn't be climbing trees, Sejabin. As you can see, it could prove dangerous."

"The peaches had looked so appetizing, I couldn't help myself."

"Next time, ask one of the gardeners." Baekhyun turns to leave. 

"Wait, Choha!" Mura calls out. 

Baekhyun stops and turns around. 

"Here, take this." Mura extends her arm holding a peach. "Thank you for saving me." She smiles widely. 

Beautiful set of pearly whites on full display, while the corners of the other's eyes crinkle in the most endearing manner. A smile so genuine and innocent--- it never fails to mesmerize Baekhyun. 

"Choha?"

Baekhyun shakes out of his thought at Mura's voice. "Thank--thank you." He takes the fruit from the other's hand. 

And, with that, he turns around and proceeds to walk away. He's slightly vexed by his own mind. Why must he always become flustered any time he is near the Crown Princess? Or, think things he had never desired to think prior to meeting his consort? 

Vexing, indeed.

Later, in the evening, when Baekhyun returns to his chamber after his evening lessons, he finds the peach, which he had left there earlier, still sitting on his desk. He picks it up and studies it before taking a bite. Its sweet and sour taste immediately spreads in his mouth. As expected, he does not find it pleasant, as Baekhyun has never been fond of peaches. 

He ends up finishing the entire fruit. 

 

 ╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

 

A/N: Finally, a win for Mura! She can now at least do the thing she loves the most, which is sword fighting. Don't tell queen dowager. Perhaps things are looking up for her? 

EXO-Ls, have you listened to Jongin's (Kai's) new album? If so, what do you think of it? What a coincidence that I write a story that has peaches in it, and he comes out with a song called "Peaches." Maybe Baekhyun can sing to Mura, "Pretty girl you like peaches..." Should we make it the official soundtrack of this fic? Lol.

Speaking of Jongin, he will make an appearance in the next chapter :)