(sasibi)

Under the Peach Tree

A/N: Please, excuse any mistakes. Thanks.

 

“Janshil-ah,” 

The court maid, who’s been attentively occupied with manicuring the Crown Princess’ nails, looks up at the said princess upon being addressed. “Yes, Mama?”

“Do you recall once claiming that the Crown Prince has been attempting to court me?”

Janshil purses her lips; a flash of remembrance passes her countenance. She nods. “Hm, yes.”

“Do you truly believe it to be the case?”

A small playful smile dances on the maid’s lips. “Why? What has the Crown Prince done now?”

Mura barely opens to respond.

“— Has he offered you even more sweet compliments?” Janshil cuts in. “Bestowed another courting gift, maybe?” She doesn’t wait for a reply. “Oh! Or perhaps, he wrote you a poem praising your divine beauty?” She then squeals. “Oh yes, I truly hope it's a poem! How romantic would it be!”

“There is no such poem,” Mura replies flatly.

Janshil’s expression drops in disappointment.

“Now answer my question, will you?” Mura chides the maid.

“Well, to be honest, I haven’t quite thought about it, as of late.” Janshil thinks a bit. “But based on certain actions in the past, I would reckon that the Crown Prince is indeed courting you.”

Mura exhales softly in thought.

“And now that I think about how he defied the Queen Dowager for your sake, I can only assume that he holds you in affection. Only a man in love would fight for a woman in such a way, I should think.”

“Love?” Mura laughs anxiously. “The Crown Prince cannot possibly be in love with me.” She declares with confidence initially which immediately wanes upon seeing her maid’s arched eyebrow. Mura’s expression contorts “He cannot, right?”

Mama, why else would he court you if he wasn’t in love with you?” Janshil can’t believe her mistress’ naivety.

“I don’t know! This is all very new to me. Allow me some grace, will you?”

“All right, my apologies.”

Mura releases a deep sigh. “What should I do now?”

“Well, if you wish to know for certain of the Crown Prince’s intentions then you must ask him directly.”

“Are you mad? I could never bring myself to do that! How utterly embarrassing would it be.”

“Then feel free to torment yourself further with your speculations.”

Mura pouts.

“Or be the brave woman I believe you to be and ask him. Even if it turns out to be a misunderstanding, which I highly doubt to be the case, I’m certain the Crown Prince would not mock you for it. He respects you far too much for such pettiness.”

Mura contemplates her maid’s advice. “I shall think on it some more, but you are correct, for my own peace of mind may be speaking with the Crown Prince would not be such a bad idea.”

Janshil nods in agreement. “But Mama, we’ve been speaking of the Crown Prince’s feelings, what about yours? How do you feel about him?”

Indeed, how does Mura, herself, feel? At present, she mostly feels confused. 

“If the Crown Prince happens to confirm our suspicions and confesses his love for you, what will you do?” Janshil poses the all too important question.

Mura thinks she’s never been probed with a question as difficult as this one. “I… I don’t know.”

 

 

 ╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

 

Jongdae smiles softly to himself as he stares at the pearl hairpin that he had gifted the Royal Princess sitting prettily in its owner’s hair, right above her ear. 

This isn’t the first time he’s seen the princess wear the pin. In fact, Jongdae has seen her sport it to each of their meetings since he had gifted it to her all those months ago. Yet it still manages to invoke a sense of delightful pride in him that the Royal Princess should find something that he has bestowed to her worthy of repeated use. Or better yet, this could very well be her way of showing Jongdae that she cherishes this gift. The thought sends a delicious sensation swirling inside Jongdae’s belly.

Doryeonnim?”

Upon hearing the deeply rich voice calling him, Jongdae shifts his attention from the hairpin to look at the side view of its owner’s face. He and the Royal Princess sit atop a hill, under the shadow of a pine tree and the veil of the night sky that twinkles with glittering stars. Two portable square lanterns, their frames made of wood and paper with candles placed inside within the frames, sit by their feet providing the necessary illumination to the otherwise dark space. 

This is the second time Hwa-In has slipped out of the palace in secret. This time she and the young lord agreed upon meeting at night as it had been difficult to find an opportunistic time during the day.

Doryeonnim, what are we?” Hwa-In asks, not meeting the other’s eyes.

Jongdae narrows his brows. “I’m afraid I do not understand your question, Mama.”

“The nature of our relationship— how would you define it?”

“I… uh…” Jongdae struggles to answer. He hadn’t expected such a question.

"It has been months of meeting in secret and getting to learn about each other. I even go to perilous lengths to sneak out of the palace so you and I may share each other's company uninterrupted. Yet, I do not know what we are to each other."

A brief silence. 

“What am I to you, Doryeonnim?” Hwa-In points her gaze at the other.

Jongdae blinks nervously. “You can be whatever you wish, Your Highness. I shall happily accept any designation you choose to give our association.”

“Is it so?”

Jongdae nods. His heart pummels against his chest. He, too, very much wishes to know the nature of their relationship and how the Royal Princess perceives him. 

“Can we be lovers then?” 

Jongdae does not expect the boldness from the princess. It renders him speechless. He questions reality and whether he heard it right. 

Hwa-In stares at him expectantly. “What do you say, Doryeonnim?”

“I… I… uh,” Jongdae stutters halfwittedly; too stunned to form a response.

Hwa-In’s expression drops. “Do you disapprove?”

“No! No, no, of course not, Mama.” Jongdae assures her. “I am simply… I… are you certain? Is it what you truly wish for?”

“Tell me, Doryeonnim, what were your intentions with me? And pray, be honest.”

“I… I mean, if it isn’t obvious already, I highly revere Your Highness.”

“Only as a person? Or as a woman?”

Warmth fans across Jongdae’s face, and his palms begin to sweat. He looks down, too shy to maintain eye contact as he answers, “as… as a woman, Your Highness. If I may dare.” 

A pleased smile sprouts across Hwa-In’s lips. “Then yes, I am certain I wish for us to be lovers, for I revere you as well… as a man.”

The princess’ confession has Jongdae scouring for a breath. He proceeds to fan himself with his hand; his skin suddenly turning hot. 

Hwa-In’s expression turns concerned. “Jongdae Doryeonnim, what is the matter? Do you feel unwell?”

“Forgive me, Mama, but can you allow me a moment, please?”

Hwa-In is bemused but she agrees. 

Jongdae huffs a breath before standing up and walking a few steps ahead. Once he’s confident his face is unseeable by the princess behind him, he lets out a silent scream into the vastness before him. He cannot believe his luck. Royal Princess Hwa-In— the definition of grace and beauty of divine proportions with irresistible charms and unbridled boldness— reveres him? Jongdae must have accumulated numerous good deeds in his past life for him to be rewarded in this manner. Once he regains his composure he returns to his seat next to the Royal Princess. 

“Are you all right, Doryeonnim?” Hwa-In regards the other worriedly. 

“Yes. Yes, I’m all right. Wonderful, in fact. Apologies, Mama, for causing you concern.”

“Have I caused—”

“It would be my utmost honor to be your lover, Mama!” Jongdae es the words with the intensity of a martyr declaring his willingness to die for his beliefs.

Hwa-In flinches at the abruptness of the young lord's statement. 

Jongdae blinks and gives a short bow. “Apologies, Mama. Please, excuse my overzealousness. I am simply overwhelmed with joy.”

Hwa-In erupts into a fit of giggles, finding the young lord’s unnerved state quite amusing and endearing.

Jongdae regards the other timidly before his lips widen into a shy grin.

Before dawn appears, they decide to return. The two descend down the incline of the hill and make their way back into town. They stop some distance away from the royal palace. 

“This is where we must part,” Hwa-In says. 

Jongdae nods. “Thank you, Mama, for making me the happiest man in Choson,” he expresses bashfully.

Hwa-In smiles. She inspects their surrounding which is devoid of any presence other than their own. She considers it conducive enough to lean forward and plant a quick peck on the young lord’s cheek. “Farewell, Doryeonnim.” She then covers herself with the veil in her possession and walks away, unaware of the effect she had left in the wake of that intimate display of affection.

As though petrified by the kiss, Jongdae stands stiff as a statue; his expression that of sheer shock while his heart is ready to leap out of his throat.

 

 

 ╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

The palace guard regards Hwa-In strangely when she shows him her identity plaque— well, her maid’s identity plaque, to be exact. But she is let in without any resistance or questioning, so she ignores it. 

Once Hwa-In discreetly makes her way to the back side of her quarters, she gently taps on her chamber window, signaling one of her maids, who should be inside posing as her, of her arrival and to open the window for her.

It doesn't take long for the window to fling open, but instead of her maid, the person Hwa-In sees standing before her is her mother, the Queen herself, seething and glaring at her.

Hwa-In gulps. Now, she has never had a brush with death, but she reckons it is as frightening as what she feels at this very moment. It seems her venturesome streak has finally caught up to her and landed her in dire straits. 

 

 

 ╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Mura apprehensively watches the Crown Prince eat his meal while they share breakfast together. She wishes to ask him about the all too important question that’s been haunting her, but she cannot seem to muster up the courage to do so. 

“If there’s something you wish to say to me, I encourage you to proceed, Sejabin,” Baekhyun says without withdrawing his gaze from his food. “If you continue to stare at me at this rate I fear you may pierce a hole through my countenance.”

Mura blinks her gaze away. “Apologies, Choha.”

Baekhyun looks at his consort. “What is the matter, Buin? Do you have something on your mind?”

“I… uh… maybe…”

“Do you not feel at ease to discuss it with me? I should think I’ve earned your trust by now.”

Mura presses her lips together. “Indeed you have my trust, but…”

“But?”

“It’s just… it is rather an embarrassing subject.”

Baekhyun gives her an understanding smile. “I assure you, whatever it is you will not be derided for it, hence feel free to express whatever it is that troubles you.”

Mura hesitates for a moment before finding her inner bravery. “Well, I wish to ask—”

Choha, it is I, Samnom. May I enter?”

“Return at a later time. I am preoccupied at present.”

“I’m afraid it is urgent. I come bearing word from the King’s quarters.”

Baekhyun frowns slightly. “Very well, you may enter.”

Samnom enters the room before offering his bow to the Crown Prince and Princess.

“What is it, Bu Samnom?” Baekhyun queries.

“The King has summoned both you and the Crown Princess to his chamber. He wishes to see you both at once.”

“Whatever for?”

“I’m afraid that I do not know.”

Baekhyun and Mura share a questioning gaze. Now, what could be the reason for this sudden audience?

 

 

 ╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

When Mura and Baekhyun enter the King’s chamber, they also find the Queen and Queen Dowager present. The three of them appear troubled.

Mura does not miss the look of scorn the Queen Dowager casts in her direction. Mura is suddenly overcome with anxiety, wondering if she had done something again to displease the dowager.

“We have come to learn of something rather troubling,” the King starts.

“What is it, abamama?” Baekhyun asks.

“It appears that the Royal Princess has been engaging in secret trysts with a certain young fellow. She had even dared to sneak out of the palace to meet with this fellow a couple of times,” the King explains.

“What?” Baekhyun is bemused. 

“Your mother had learned of it earlier today.”

“Do you not wish to know the identity of this audacious fellow who lacks enough morals to commit such an unscrupulous act with a young unmarried girl, the king’s daughter, no less?” The Queen Dowager speaks with venom. “Then again, perhaps the Crown Princess knows of his identity already.”

Perplexed, Baekhyun looks at his consort, who appears equally baffled. 

“Me?” Mura says. “Forgive me, Daebi-mama, but I do know whom you speak of.”

“The man Hwa-In has been meeting secretly is Kim Jongdae, Sejabin,” the Queen says, stonily.

It is as though Mura’s been struck with lightning. “K-kim Jongdae? M-my cousin Kim Jongdae?”

“Why should we be talking about a different Kim Jongdae to you, Sejabin?” The Queen Dowagers mocks.

Mura is shell-shocked. She looks to the Crown Prince whose expression is plastered with surprise and confusion.

Sejabin, I must ask you and you must answer me with utmost honesty, were you in the know about your cousin’s secret rendezvous with the Royal Princess?” The King asks.

Mura drops to the floor and crouches. “Forgive me, Chonha, but there must be a mistake. My cousin would never do such a thing.” Mura wishes for it not to be true. Her cousin is foolish, but surely, he isn't that foolish.

“He admitted to it,” the King informs. “He had divulged upon questioning.”

Mura is tempted to slam her head against the floor. Jongdae, that damn nincompoop!

“Now answer the question, Sejabin,” the Queen speaks. “Did you know about it?”

“I swear upon my parents, I was not privy to it, at all!”

“Precisely,” Baekhyun chimes in.  “The Crown Princess would never enable such a thing.”

The Queen Dowager loudly scoffs at the statement.

“At any rate, Kim Jongdae has committed an act of crime. For this, he has been arrested and is currently being held in the court prison. He shall remain there until I decide upon the appropriate means of punishment that is to be implemented upon him,” the King says. “We have also come to the decision that from henceforth the Crown Princess’ cousins shall be barred from visiting the royal palace.”

Abamama, why punish the Crown Princess for something she played no part in?” Baekhyun speaks for his consort.

Seja, it is because we allowed these young men to run around the palace grounds freely that we now find ourselves in this predicament,” the Queen Dowager says. “The Crown Princess should be grateful we haven’t taken any disciplinary actions against her for failing to keep her own cousin in check.”

“But halmamama—”

“There shall be no further discussions regarding this particular matter. The decision shall remain.” the King says with finality. “You two are excused for now.”

Baekhyun and Mura egress the King’s quarters with their heads hanging low. Mura, especially, appears distraught. 

Tears flood her eyes. “Choha, I am truly ashamed. I have failed the royal family greatly,” She can’t bring herself to look the other in the eye.

“I cannot lie, I am greatly angered by the actions of your cousin and my brotherly instincts are provoking me to maim that devious man for taking advantage of my sister’s credulity.” Baekhyun did not have a favorable first impression of Kim Jongdae, to begin with. Now, it has soured even further. “However, you are in no way liable for his misdeeds. They are his and his alone.”

Choha, not that I am defending my cousin’s actions by any measure and my words may sound hollow, but even though Jongdae can be unbelievably foolish at times, he is not a cunning man.” Mura vouches. “I do not know the true nature of his association with Princess Hwa-In, but I am confident he did not exploit the princess' good faith in any manner.”

“Maybe so, but having a secret meeting with a royal princess outside of the palace is a crime severe enough to have one’s noble status revoked. Maybe even be banished from the capital forever.”

Mura quietly gasps. Her cousin’s life as they know it will be destroyed if he is condemned to such a punishment.

“I apologize beforehand, Buin, but I must tell you now that I will support whatever punishment the King decrees upon Kim Jongdae. I will not extend any grace toward him simply because he is related to you.”

Mura understands the Crown Prince’s sentiment, but her heart aches terribly for her cousin; feeling utterly powerless to aid him in any way.

 

 

 ╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

 

Jongdae sits despondently inside one of the cells of the court prison when he hears footsteps approaching. Chanyeol appears behind the thick wooden bars of the cell accompanied by a prison guard.

“Hyung…” Jongdae acknowledges his cousin as he stands up.

The guard unlocks the door to the cell, allowing Chanyeol entry. 

Hyung—”

A slap lands sharply on Jongdae’s cheek.

“You imprudent cretin!” Chanyeol spits.

Jongdae grazes his fingers over his stinging cheek, gaze lowered. 

“Having a tryst with the King’s daughter, of all people? Outside of the palace no less. You’ve got some gall. Do you understand the plight you’ve brought upon yourself, your family and not to mention the Crown Princess? You have utterly humiliated her before her in-laws.”

Jongdae has no response for his cousin.

“Tell me honestly, have you defiled the Royal Princess’ honor in any way? Have you done something—”

“No, hyung! I swear I have not tainted Her Highness’ purity in any manner. I would never do such a thing.”

Chanyeol huffs an exasperated sigh. 

“Mura-ya?” 

Chanyeol directs his gaze toward the cell door upon hearing Jongdae call out their cousin’s name. “Mama?” He immediately bows. Jongdae mimics him.

 Mura enters the cell and nears her imprisoned cousin. “Jongdae-ah, how are you? Are you harmed?”

“Not yet,” Jongdae answers tentatively. “How is Princess Hwa-In? I hope she isn’t being reprimanded harshly.”

“You should worry about yourself, Jongdae-ah,” Mura cries. “What were you thinking?”

“When does this imbecile ever stop to think about anything?” Chanyeol snarls. “All he has is dung for a brain.”

“Mura-ya,” Jongdae speaks. “I will take responsibility for my actions. Please, relay to the King that I fully intend upon marrying the princess.”

“Marry?” Chanyeol says incredulously. “You delusional scoundrel,” Chanyeol attempts at striking his cousin once more but is stopped by Mura.

Oraboni, please,” she pleads before redirecting her attention toward her other cousin. “Jongdae-ah,  you may very likely lose your noble status for your deeds, you are in no position to propose marriage to the King’s daughter.”

Trepidation morphs into Jongdae’s expression. “What? Lose my noble status? If I lose my status then I will not be able to marry the princess!”

“If I continue to hear the nonsense spouting from his mouth I might end him right here and now!” With that, Chanyeol steps out angrily. 

“Mura, I beg you, please do something. I cannot lose my status!” Jongdae pleads.

“Jongdae, I may be the Crown Princess, but I wield no influence in court.”

“You can speak to the Crown Prince.”

“The Crown Prince would have your head on a pike if he could.”

“Please, Mura. Surely, you do not wish to see me ruined. Please, try to sway the Crown Prince. I am willing to be flogged and beaten instead. Please, Mura-ya, do this favor for your dear cousin, hm?”

Mura walks in the direction of the East Palace from visiting Jongdae with her retinue in tow. She ponders over what she should do. While it is true she bears no influence over court decrees, she does have the privilege of speaking with the Crown Prince and maybe even the King. Hence she should take advantage of that and at least try to make a case on behalf of her cousin. It may be considered shameless of her to do so given her cousin was undoubtedly in the wrong, but she trusts Jongdae in his claims that he had no impure intentions with the Royal Princess. And what kind of family would Mura be if she simply sat idly and silently watched her cousin be damned?

In her path, Mura comes upon the Queen Dowager and her retinue. The elder seems to be heading somewhere. As a show of respect, Mura stops to allow the dowager to pass. As the dowager nears her, Mura gives her a bow, but instead of passing her by, the dowager stops beside her.

“You know, one might be easily fooled by those innocent eyes of yours and I won’t blame them for you do quite a convincing job of feigning ignorance. But I see through you and your father’s ambitions,” the Queen Dowager says. “Having his daughter as the Crown Princess was not sufficient for him, Councilor Park also plotted to have his nephew seduce the Royal Princess as soon as she became eligible for marriage. Not to mention how your father must have instructed you to convince the Crown Prince to appoint his adopted son as his personal guard as soon as the previous one had perished. What a convenient way to have one of your own men shadow the Crown Prince at all times in the hopes of manipulating him.”

Mura’s heart aches for her father, who does not deserve such slander, but listens to the dowager’s baseless accusations in silence and with her gaze lowered. 

“Your father never forgoes an opportunity to slither his influence into the royal court, does he?”

Mura remains silent. There’s nothing much else she can do because refuting the dowager’s claims won’t change her mind. The dowager will continue to believe what she wants to.

The Queen Dowager then scoffs before walking past Mura, who proceeds to wipe away the tears that begin to fill her eyes. 

Mama, please, do not take the Queen Dowager’s words to heart,” Madam Choi tries to console her mistress.

Mura clears as she straightens her posture before resuming her walk toward the East Palace. 

 

 

 ╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

“I beg your pardon? Marriage?” Baekhyun says while looking incredulously at his consort. “Is this an attempt at a joke, Sejabin? If it is, it isn’t quite having the humorous effect you hoped it would."

“Despite how foolishly he acted, I assure you my cousin is still an honorable man of noble birth and possesses the purest of intentions toward the princess. I spoke with Princess Hwa-In, as well, and she expressed to me that she holds my cousin in affection. Could a union between two souls that adore each other be such a deplorable notion?”

“If Kim Jongdae is truly as honorable as you claim him to be, he would not have made the choices he had ended up making.”

“He made a mistake, Choha. He is deeply remorseful and is willing to endure any form of physical punishment for his deeds. But I assure you Jongdae is a good man, and if you have any faith in me then you must know that I will never vouch for someone simply based on familial ties. Please, Choha, speak with him once. Throw a few punches at him if you so desire, but at least listen to what he has to say.”

 

 

 ╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

The King sits in the royal office not feeling his best. He’s experiencing slight shortness of breath, while the tips of his fingers tingle.

Chonha, Royal Princess Hwa-In requests an audience with you,” A eunuch from the other side of the closed door to the office announces. 

The King sighs and rubs his forehead. He is in no state to deal with whatever his daughter has in store for him. “Send her away.”

A few moments later the door to the office opens with Hwa-In forcing her way inside. 

Gongju!” the King admonishes.

Hwa-In drops to her knees. “Abamama, I beg you to show mercy upon Kim Jongdae Doryeonnim! It had been my idea to meet outside of the palace. He is blameless.”

Gongju, I am in no spirit to humor you. Begone! Kim Jongdae will be held accountable as he ought to.”

Abamama, please, I love him and wish to marry him!”

“What? Have you lost your senses, girl?”

Hwa-In begins to cry. “Please, abamama, I must beseech you to allow us to wed. I cannot live on without him!”

“You—” The King suddenly experiences a shooting pain crop up to his left arm before everything that surrounds him begins to revolve. He clutches the left side of his chest as the pain travels there.

Abamama? Abamama, are you all right?” 

The King hears the faint voice of his daughter before his vision turns dark.

 

 

 ╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Baekhyun, followed by his retinue, walks in the direction of the court prison. The Crown Princess had successfully convinced him to give Kim Jongdae the opportunity to speak for himself. Baekhyun does not believe the outcome would be any different once he speaks with the man, but he agreed to entertain the idea for the sake of his consort. 

Choha! Choha!” 

Baekhyun halts upon hearing a man shouting for him. He turns around to find one of his father’s eunuchs running his way.

“Song Naegwan, what is the matter?” Baekhyun asks the distressed-looking eunuch.

“Forgive me, Choha, but the King…”

Baekhyun turns alarmed. “What of the King?”

The eunuch is close to tears. “T-the King has collapsed.”

 

 

 ╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝