Chapter 6

Second Chance

Wendy was so busy in her own world that she didn’t notice someone knocking and entering her office. She only snapped into reality when she saw a hand wave in front of her face. “Hey newbie!” Wendy raised her eyes at the cheerful voice, and it was none other than the raven haired girl that was arguing with Jennie yesterday. “Hey,” Wendy replied, “Did you need something?” The girl giggled, “Well, I’m not really supposed to be here, but I must say your playlist definitely attracted me.” Wendy looked at her confused, “How did you hear it?” This time the girl laughed, “How can I not hear it, when it’s basically blasting all the way down the hall.” She said excitedly with amusement in her eyes. Wendy looked down in embarrassment, why did no one tell her about this? The girl, noticing this, chimed, “Oh but don’t worry. The employees here seem to like it. I swear I saw someone twerking in their office.” A soft giggle escaped Wendy’s lips as she imagined the scenario in her head, and the action only seemed to widen the raven’s smile. She reached her hand out, “I am Jisoo. Jisoo Kim. It’s nice to meet you.” Wendy’s heart dropped. THE Jisoo Kim? Oh god, not only Jennie’s cousin, but also one of the world’s best business women was standing in her office right now. What was up with her and making terrible first impressions in front of really important people? 

 

Jisoo’s smile dropped slightly when she noticed that Wendy wasn’t reaching out to shake her hand back, so she decided to retract it. But before she could, Wendy reached out and shook her hand a little too enthusiastically, “Omo! I’m really sorry, I don’t know what to say. Please forget about yesterday and everything that happened. My name is Wendy. I am really honored to meet you.” Her facial expression looked almost comical, that it made Jisoo want to crack up right then and there, but she held it back since the poor girl looked terribly embarrassed. 

 

Jisoo’s smile was as bright as ever again as she made small talk with Wendy. Soon enough, Wendy loosened up a little and the two were laughing at some of Jisoo’s stories. They both talked for quite a while until Jisoo’s phone rang, “I guess duty calls,” she said a little sadly. Wendy gave her a small smile, “It’s okay. I’ll be seeing you around though, right?” Jisoo chuckled at that, “Of course. After all, I totally dig your playlist.” She winked at her then left. 

 

Wendy continued smiling at nothing after that, the interaction lit something inside of her, albeit it was merely a tiny spark, but it was something. Something was coming to life within her numb broken heart. And this time, she wanted to revel in this feeling, even if it scared her, but she refused to let it go. She vowed she would change, she vowed that she’d make the most out of her second chance, and she won’t forget that. She won’t let anything stand in her way, even if it meant that she had to put herself on the line. She couldn’t go through everything again. Never again. 

 

Wendy was humming to ‘starships’ when Joy entered her office. “Ugh, Nicki is such a queen!” she exclaimed, which caught Wendy’s attention. Wendy looked at her, giving her a questioning look. “Yo! How’s my favorite buddy doing?”  Joy asks excitedly. Wendy could swear Joy had way too much energy for everything. How did she do it? A small ‘good’ escapes Wendy’s lips, before Joy nods her head, “So, boss lady called for you.” Wendy looked at her in confusion, “Jennie Kim? Your boss, remember?” Wendy sighed, this isn’t going to be a fun experience. She slowly gets up and follows Joy out. Joy points her to the direction of where she should go, and Wendy simply follows, she has to. It’s not like she can just simply erase the memory of her crying from people’s heads, but seeing Jisoo’s reaction to it, maybe it wouldn’t be so bad. 

 

She arrives at the big doors and looks at the name plaque she clearly missed the last time she was here. With a deep sigh, she knocks at the door and enters after hearing a loud ‘come in’. She stands in front of her boss’ desk, and looks around. She notices shelves filled with trophies and awards, her best pictures from the uncountable photoshoots she had hung on the walls around her. The muse herself is sitting on the desk, buried in some paperwork. A beat of silence passes, before Jennie looks up and meets Wendy’s eyes. 

 

And that’s when it hit Wendy how truly beautiful Jennie is, with her sharp feline eyes, soft milky skin, and shiny brown hair. She looked beautiful, the most beautiful person Wendy has ever seen, and she looked even better in person. It took a moment for Wendy to pull herself together, but she avoided eye contact because she didn’t want to be into those mesmerizing pools of brown staring right into her soul. 

 

“What? Are you planning on crying again?” Jennie said sharply, which took Wendy by surprise. She didn’t sound amused at all, she just sounded annoyed, as if someone was forcing her to do this. Wendy didn’t let it get to her, “No, I won’t,” she calmly replied. “Good. I can’t keep wasting precious time on stupid matters like this. And I sure hope that my assistant isn’t some useless cry baby.” Wendy doesn’t say anything to that, there’s nothing much to say. Jennie’s tone was loud and clear. She wasn’t playing around, and that was understandable, but her tone still managed to hurt Wendy a little. Wendy felt like a little kid being scolded for doing nothing but crying. It hurt because it implied that Wendy’s feelings weren’t accepted, it was her first time crying in a while and instead of being understood, she’s being scrutinized. Wendy wanted to laugh at that thought, guess this world really had made her soft, since when did such words hurt her? She experienced much worse before and didn’t even bat an eyelash.

 

Jennie looked back up at her again when she noticed the silence that had befallen them. She noticed that Wendy was lost in her thoughts. There was a lot of confliction in her eyes, and her slightly hunched posture made it seem like she carried the burden of the world on her shoulders. This new manager is strange, but work is work and her personal life isn’t something she’s planning on sharing. Jennie sighed then grabbed a handful of papers and handed them to Wendy, “These are the papers for tomorrow’s schedule. I want you to at least be 30 minutes early. Don’t make my life hard.” Wendy nodded and took the papers then left. It’s going to be quite an exciting job, isn’t it.