Chapter 15

Second Chance

The meeting went without a hitch after that slight mishap. Wendy couldn’t help but look over to Irene from time to time, she couldn’t help it. She lived in a timeline where Irene was no longer there, and all of a sudden she’s here; alive and breathing. Wendy was happy to see her, but the familiarity of everything about her just sparked memories in Wendy’s head, ones she wished dearly to forget. 

 

Wendy didn’t notice that she had been practically ogling Irene the whole time and giving her her full attention, which didn’t go unnoticed by her small group of friends. Joy’s grumpiness doubled, Jisoo was dying of boredom and agitation, Jennie was planning her revenge silently, and Rose was starting to get hungry again from all the thick tension. After a while, the meeting ended and everyone headed over to their respective places. Wendy waved goodbye to Irene, which got her a sweet smile, causing her heart to melt. Guess first love never really does die. 

 

Wendy looked back to her friends and noticed their annoyance and agitation. What happened to them? Jennie abruptly stood up, garnering everyone’s attention, “You two. To my office.” she said sternly after pointing at Joy and Wendy, then headed to her office without waiting for anyone followed by Jisoo. “Well, good luck with that, you two. I’m off to find some food.” Rose waved and went out. The duo stood in silence, then Joy scoffed at Wendy and left, “Hey! Wait!” she called after her, but was completely ignored. Wendy sighed, trying to think of what got into everyone, and she may have a slight idea, involving a certain Bae.

 

She knocked on the big door and walked in. Joy was already there, and it seemed like Jennie was waiting for her arrival. She settled quietly on the other chair in front of Jennie. Jennie didn’t even look up at her, “Wow and here I thought you weren’t going to show up.” Cold, Wendy remembers this tone. She never liked it. “See that pile over there?” she pointed to the back, still not looking up. Wendy looked back and saw a huge pile of papers, way larger than the ones she had grabbed before. “They’re yours to finish.” Wendy was confused, since when was she responsible for this? Joy’s facial expressions seemed to reflect Wendy’s. “I expect them to be done by the end of this week.” 

 

Joy’s expression turned comical, “I’m sorry, but that’s like in 3 days.” Jennie looked at Joy, causing her to shiver under her gaze. “You’ve already done something like this. I don’t see the problem now.” Shutting Joy down and looking back at her papers, “You two may leave now.” 

 

Well, um, what? 

 

Joy was quietly muttering curses under her breath, when she quickly stood up, grabbed the papers, and left angrily. Wendy looked over to Jennie, “That wasn’t so nice. Why are you suddenly doing this? And being…this?” Wendy stated as she pointed at Jennie as a whole. Jennie looked at her for the first time, “I’d like to not hear that from a manager who gives more attention to other artists than her own. If you don’t like the job, you can always quit, Ms. Son.” Wendy was in disbelief, Ms. Son? Oh no, this is worse than she thought. “Look, I get it. You’re mad because I gave Irene a lot of attention. I’m sorry, I know it should have been you to receive it all. But I… just really miss an old friend. And she looks just like her.” Wendy tried to give as little as possible, but her heart wasn’t taking it, Irene was more than just a friend. She was family and she was her lifetime soulmate, before she had to go and ruin everything. 

 

Jennie studied Wendy for a little while, then gave her a tight-lipped smile, “Enjoy your work, Wendy.” she said quietly. Wendy looked back at her, then left. This wasn’t a fight she was going to win. Now, she had to find little angry Joy. She walked back to her office in hopes of finding that familiar tall figure, instead all she found was a little note on her desk. “If I see you now, I’ll kill you :) Meet at the usual coffee shop @11pm sharp” Well, guess it’s for the better. She really didn’t want to know what Joy would have done if she was still here. She already got punched plenty. 

 

With nothing to currently do, she just sat down on her desk and opened her usual playlist. This time it had a little more than Nicki Minaj, but she would always be the queen of Wendy’s heart and ears. She was sitting there for about thirty minutes jamming out to music and horribly singing along, but she knew that if she put a little more effort, she’d sound like an angel, not to exaggerate or anything. 

 

Suddenly, her door burst open and a familiar blob of blonde walked in, and in her most Australian accent she asked, “What are you doing? Are you high?” Wendy could care less about what Rose had just said, but she knew why she asked that. She currently had her sunglasses on and was sitting in her roller chair like it was some car. “Naurrrr,” she mimicked, “I’m chillin’ like a villain in ma la fera.” 

 

Rose was absolutely repulsed by the ‘no’, “First of all, it’s ‘Nao-urrrr’ not ‘Naurrrr’.” Wendy really couldn’t see the difference. “Second, I love that song!” Rose suddenly went on a tangent talking about how much she loves Blackpink, and how they’re her favorite artists of all time, and Wendy had to agree, they were pretty good. Then, Rose suddenly snapped out of it, “Right! That’s not why I came here. The boss wants to see you.” 

 

Wendy’s blood ran cold, “Again? What does she want this time?” Rose looked confused, “She? I’m not talking about Jennie, I’m talking about the real boss. They guy who hired you, remember?” Wendy sighed in relief, but what did boss-man want, wait did Jennie say something to him? Is she finally getting fired? “Calm down, the guy’s pretty nice. Also, where the hell is your assistant? I had to walk all the way here because we couldn’t find her anywhere.” Wendy chuckled awkwardly, “She wasn’t feeling too good, so she went home early.” Rose nodded, “Okay see ya!” she announced before leaving. 

 

Wendy sighed, time to face her boss. She headed straight to the man’s office, saying the occasional ‘hi’ to the people she had previously met at the meeting. Her hands were slightly shaking as she opened the door and sat down. The man beamed at her, but she could only give him a tight-lipped smile. She was going to get fired and she hadn’t even gotten her first pay yet. “Hello, Ms. Son, I hope everything’s going well.”

 

Wendy nodded subconsciously, waiting for the man to finally announce it. The man smiled again, then slid over a small but thick envelope towards her. “You’ve been doing a great job, Ms. Son. Congratulations! Here’s your first pay. We also added a little extra as per Ms. Kim’s recommendation. I’m proud of you! You’re the only manager to have lasted this long and even gotten praise--”

 

Wendy couldn’t focus on what the man was saying at this point. Pay? Money? Extra Money? Because of Jennie? Omo! What was happening here? Why is she receiving money instead of getting fired? 

 

Wendy left the office with the envelope in hand. She didn’t remember anything that man said, or what she even replied to him. She was in a daze. She slowly lifted the envelope to her face and opened the envelope with shaky hands. Her eyes went wide at the sight. Money was inside, and there was a lot of it. It wasn’t some sick joke they decided to play on her. 

 

“Poor Wendy is gone, baby!” she screamed all of a sudden, a few people flinching at her sudden outburst. It was like she was living in her own montage at the moment with cringey music playing in the background. She was skipping all the way to her office, her energy reaching new heights. She entered her office and couldn’t contain her happiness anymore, so she did what any other happy person would. She started twerking and singing one of the new songs she had listened to, “Dolla' bills, dolla' bills. Watch it fallin' for me. I love the way that feels~” Now she started twerking harder, “Twerking, twerking when I buy the things I like. Dolla', dollas, dropping on my tonight~” 

 

Today was one of the best days ever and Wendy was going to make sure she lived it fully.