Chapter 16

Second Chance

Wendy was ready to go all out with the money she had received today, but before doing anything, it was time for her to go out and meet with Seulgi in order to go check up on that strange camera that she discovered. 

Wendy checked out and began her walk to Seulgi’s tiny trinket shop. On the way, she saw a nice-looking flower shop. Still feeling a little guilty regarding today’s events, she walked in. Wendy was in awe of all the elegant and beautiful bouquets she saw hanging all over the place. That’s when her eyes landed on the prettiest set of flowers she had ever seen, it seemed to be a mix of pastel colors of different flowers. 

 

“Hello, may I help you?”

 

Wendy slightly flinched at the voice behind her. She wanted to turn around, but the familiarity of the voice scared her. She slowly turned around and saw none other than Irene, her favorite Bae. Wendy was at a loss.

 

“Oh hey! Irene? What are you doing here?” she asked nervously. 

 

Irene shook her head at Wendy and laughed at her, “I work here silly. What else would I be doing?”

 

“But don’t you like already have a job and all? Why work more?”

 

“This is my family’s flower shop. I like to help out from time to time,” her eyes went over to the flowers that Wendy was closely observing. “White orchids, tulips, hyacinths, and carnations. Quite the interesting selection, don’t you think?”

 

Wendy had completely forgotten about the whole flower shop from her past life, well she’s never really been there that often, so you can’t really blame her. She dumbly nodded back at Irene’s open question, forgetting what it was, but still imploring her to continue. Wendy was completely mesmerized by Irene’s beauty as she talked about the aspect of each flower and how to take care of each. The flowers to Wendy just seemed to make her beauty even more ethereal, the softness in her eyes just made Wendy’s heart melt. It’s been a long time since she heard Irene talk about her passions openly like this. She’s always been a reserved person after all. Suddenly, Irene poses a question that catches Wendy’s attention. 

 

“Do you know what this whole bouquet means in flower language?”

 

Wendy shook her head, “It means sincere apologies and forgiveness.”

 

Wendy’s eyes suddenly widened at that. Perfect! Wendy snapped her head towards Irene super quickly, causing Irene to flinch slightly. “Do you do deliveries?” She asked enthusiastically. Irene nodded, slightly scared at Wendy’s overhyped reaction. “Okay! I’ll be taking this one then. Can I get a pen and a small notecard?” Irene handed her the things, and Wendy quickly began writing her feelings on paper. When she finished, folded the card and gave it to Irene. “I wrote the address on the back. Here’s the money. Thank you, I appreciate you. Bye!” Wendy quickly ran out of the store and headed to Seulgi’s, leaving behind a dumbfounded Irene. 

 

Irene looked down at the card and money, “But this is twenty dollars more than the actual price.” she whispered to herself. Then looked at the address in the back, her eyes immediately widened, it was the company where they worked at. Who could Wendy be sending this to?

 

Wendy finally arrived at the store and entered quickly, causing the door chimes to sound loudly. Seulgi immediately walked out from the storeroom to see who was being so loud, slightly afraid that it might be a gangster or a delinquent who came to bully her. Can you blame her? Even gangsters like trinkets. She was met with a brown bob of hair and sighed in relief as she recognized who it was. “Hey, Seul!” Wendy exclaimed. Seulgi smiled back, “Hey, Wannie.” These were the nicknames they gave to each other after their last meeting. 

 

The two began to chat away about their days and Wendy’s excitement was oozing out of her as she told Seulgi all about her paycheck and what she was going to do with it. “So, how’s my camera doing?” Wendy suddenly asked. Seulgi perked up at the question and hurriedly went to the back to get it. She took it out of the bag and held it out to Wendy, “Apparently the camera suffered from a harsh fall or something because a lot of the tiny pieces inside were misplaced all over the place. Thankfully though, that was about it, there was nothing broken or irreplaceable.”

 

Wendy took the camera from Seulgi’s hands and examined it, it looked good as new. “I knew you were good, but this is just amazing, Seul! Omo, you did such a great job.” Seulgi blushed at the sudden praises raining down on her. “Well, actually, I don’t think I did a good job at all,” she started and Wendy was about to interrupt her and tell her to stop downgrading her abilities, but she raised her hand to stop her, “While I believe I did fix everything, the pictures on there just don’t look right. They’re all dark and blurry.” Wendy turned her attention back to the camera and turned it on. The camera took a few seconds to turn on and Wendy then went to the picture section and started scrolling through them. Seulgi was right most of them were just dark and unclear, but then she noticed a little sign at the bottom of the screen on one of the photos indicating that it was a video. 

 

Wendy pressed the play button and put the camera to her ear in order to hear, a static-y voice came through and Wendy realized that it was the voice of a man, “August 16th---3 am---” the static ate away at some of the words, but Wendy put her ear even closer, she knew this, she heard this before, “Joohyun Bae, Sandra Son, and Mark Son are all pronounced dead.” Wendy’s heart stopped. No, no, no, no, no-- not this again. She’d already gone through this, why does it still haunt her? Wasn’t this her second chance? A different life?

 

Seulgi noticed how Wendy’s face paled and her expression immediately fell. She knew something was wrong. “Hey Wendy, are you okay?” 

 

Wendy flinched,  “Yes, yes, I’m fine.” she said breathlessly, then she quickly shoved the camera into the bag with shaky hands. She handed Seulgi a few bills and gave her a tight-lipped smile, then walked out. Something was very wrong. This was not right. What the hell is on this camera?