Chapter 17

Second Chance

Wendy was scared, terrified even. This camera was special, she had an inkling the first time she saw it, but she thought it was just a small detail that didn’t matter that much. She hurried home after stopping by Seulgi’s and immediately headed to her room. She tossed her shoes and bag randomly then sat on the bed, and with slightly shaky hands, she the camera and started browsing through it. 

She scrolled through the black and blurry photos, then stopped at the ones that indicated were videos. She’d click them and listen carefully to whatever came through the static,

“Happy Birthday Wendy! Make a wish!”

“I wish for the two of us to stay together forever!”

“You’re not supposed to say it out loud dummy!”

She remembered this memory, it was her 19th birthday celebration. Both she and Irene went to a small coffee shop and Irene surprised her with her favorite cake, red velvet, along with a small promise ring. To anyone else, it might have seemed cheap, but to Wendy it was everything, they were both scraping by after all, and the fact that Irene went go through all the trouble to do that for her almost brought her to tears. 

She continued scrolling once again, then found another video,

“If you had to be one thing, what would you want to be?”

“I’d want to be rich and successful.”

A giggle could be heard, “And why is that?”

“Because I want to be able to make you happy and provide for you. I feel so useless depending on my parents all the time.”

“Aw, darling. You don’t have to bear that burden all on your own, I’m happy as long as I’m with you, no need to buy me anything at all.”

Wendy’s eyes twinkled with unshed tears, she remembers that day, when the two of them snuck out in the night and found a nice spot in the park to stargaze. They were sharing their hopes and dreams for their unknown future. The two were optimistic and hopeful. They were the times when Wendy believed that as long as she had Irene, then anything was possible. 

At this point, she was mindlessly scrolling through the videos, her head drowning in thoughts. She was starting to get the gist of all of this. This camera represented her past life, her memories, the good and the bad. She suddenly came upon a very short video, it was about a few seconds long. She clicked on it,

“I don’t know what to do Irene. I messed up big time.”

“It’s okay, baby. Everything will be okay.”

“I hurt you, how is everything okay?”

“And I forgive you. I always will, no matter what.”

“Why?”

“Because I love you.”

Her tears were silently flowing down her cheeks. This was too much to bear. It hurt so much to hear the sincerity in her voice. Irene admitted that she would always forgive her, then would she have forgiven her for what she did to her that cursed day? Wendy slowly got up from her bed and carefully placed the camera on her nightstand. 

It was almost time for her to meet Joy, so she had to tidy herself up a little and dry her tears. That night she left her house with words of forgiveness reverberating in her head.

Maybe there was something hidden within this second chance of hers.