Chapter 5

Second Chance

Wendy woke up to her phone blaring early in the morning, it was some loud rap song that Wendy wasn’t conscious enough to recognize. She grumbled as she grabbed her phone from the nightstand and realized that it wasn’t an alarm, but a phone call. It was an unknown number, but she answered the call anyway. “Hello?” she croaked out. “Um, hi. I just wanted to remind you that you have a job to attend to, and in about 30 mins, you’ll be late to your first day.” Joy said sweetly. “I have a job?” Wendy asked, still dazed, but Joy only hummed in agreement on the phone. That’s when it hit her, “Oh , I have a job!” Wendy almost screamed. Joy laughed on the phone, “I’ll be waiting.” were her final words before hanging up. 

 

Wendy got up immediately and tried to hurry off to the bathroom to change, her phone charger had other plans for her though, as it got caught around her ankle and tripped her on the floor. “Ugh! Damnit,” Wendy grumbled as she got up again. She finished her morning routine in record time, guess brushing your teeth while peeing really does save time. She rushed back to her closet to change her pyjamas and put something slightly professional on, it took her about 10 minutes to finally pick an outfit. After that she went downstairs into the kitchen to make herself some coffee, she needed it if she wanted to survive the day. As she was rushing to the front door, she stubbed her toe on the corner of the table causing her to trip once again and to drop her coffee on the ground. “!” she winced in pain, holding onto her toe. After a few seconds, she recovered and got up then quickly wiped the coffee. 

 

She didn’t have much time to make another cup, since she only had about 10 minutes left on the clock. She sighed then went out hoping to catch a cab to take her to her work place. She takes out her wallet and checks how much money she has before mumbling in frustration, she barely had enough for lunch. Guess poverty follows you everywhere, no matter which life you’re in. She’ll have to run for it, she supposes. So she does. She runs like a madman all the way to her workplace, ignoring all the funny looks she gets from the people walking on the street. She finally arrives all sweaty and panting, barely able to stand, she still had a minute left on the clock and she needed to check in asap. 

 

She enters the large fancy building and finds Joy chatting with the receptionist, probably waiting for her to arrive. When their eyes meet, Joy lightens up, but then her smile slightly drops once she notices the state that Wendy’s in. Wendy awkwardly waves at her and whispers out a ‘hi’. Joy approaches her, then sighs, “Why do you look like you ran all the way here?” Wendy stares at her for a second, “Because that’s exactly what I did?” Joy grabs her hand and pulls her towards her office, “Don’t you have a car? You stated that when you filled out your personal information.” Wendy gulped at the realization, and tried to come up with an excuse, “I… um… forgot to use it... cause I was in a rush.” she says lamely. Joy shakes her head in disbelief, “Whatever you say.”  Wendy sneaks a peak at Joy’s profile as she walks next to her, feeling a little guilty. She knew that whether she had a car or not she'd never use it. It’s not a personal choice, she just couldn’t do it. She’d get panic attacks and feel her world crushing her if she ever tried to drive, she tried it once and she almost ended up crashing into a wall. Her emotions would go haywire and her mind would go crazy. It was because of that day, it scarred her for life, and now she couldn’t even do something that came so easily to her. 

 

The two continued to walk in silence until they arrived at Wendy’s office. Joy pushed Wendy inside, “Now you wait right here. You look like you desperately need a coffee right now.” She then closed the door, and left Wendy in her big empty office all alone again. Wendy walked over to her desk, pulled the chair out, and sat down. A few seconds later, Joy burst through the door, and placed a warm cup of coffee on her desk, Wendy looked at her actions in awe, “Thank you,” she managed. Joy smiled, “Of course. What kind of assistant would I be if I didn’t at least bring you a coffee. Anyways, gotta go.” Joy announced quickly before leaving. 

 

Wendy held the warm cup in her hands and smiled into it when the scent tickled her nose. She’s been smiling a lot lately. It scared her, but at the same time she had no choice. Everything was just so perfect, she had people who cared about her, and for once she didn’t feel all alone. After taking a long sip, she sighed in relief, maybe she should actually do something. So, she put on her most recent playlist and began scrolling through the documents she had to read. For a while, it was only her, her thoughts, and Nicki Minaj. It was peaceful, but that all came to halt when she read a specific document. It was a document that mentioned all the artists who worked under their label. Her hands were shaking as she held the document and read one specific name, Irene. She read it over and over to make sure it was real. What was she doing here? Wendy’s thoughts raged once again, and her heart pumped loudly in her ears. What is she going to do? How is she supposed to face the love of her life like this all of a sudden? The one she never deserved.