Chapter 3

Second Chance

A moment of silence passed after the sound of Wendy’s slap reverberated within the room, proving how big it is. A sudden snort filled the air and laughter echoed in Wendy’s ears. The raven was having a laughing fit, but all Wendy could do was slowly turn to Joy with panic in her eyes, “This isn’t a dream?” she whispered, Joy gave her a confused look, but then lifted her hand and pinched Wendy’s other cheek, causing her to yelp in pain. “No, you aren’t Wendy,”Joy simply answered. It was slowly settling in, she was somehow transported to a different world or something. It didn’t make sense. 

 

Her phone vibrated in her pocket, she took it out of her pocket and looked at it. It was a message from an unknown number, but what shocked her  most was what the message said, ‘Everyone deserves a second chance.’ Wendy had a feeling within her about who it might be. She put her phone down and stared in front of her, taking in the scene of a wheezing raven and a confused brunette, and that’s when it happened. After years of keeping everything inside, the dam finally broke and she couldn’t stop her tears from flowing down her cheeks, she heard collective gasps around her, but she could care less. The world listened to her for once, her pleas were answered. She finally got what she always wanted. 

 

She couldn’t help the overwhelming feelings that took over her as her tears continued to pour from her eyes. She couldn’t tell what was happening around her, but she felt someone’s hand on her back trying to comfort her while moving her away. She didn’t care who it was, she cried and cried until she couldn’t cry anymore and her eyes began aching. It took some time, but her tears soon dried and she was left to deal with a worried Joy. “Are you okay?” she asked Wendy with concern. “Yeah I’m fine. Better than fine honestly.” Wendy slightly smiled. Now that she got her second chance, maybe it’s about time to deal with all the broken pieces inside. She knows it’s going to be difficult, and it’s going to be a long and tiring process, but she had to give it a try. 

 

After a while, she found herself on the street walking around amongst strangers. She was exempted from work for the day, since it was still her first day and that whole crying thing happened. Her meeting with Jennie was postponed for another day, as she is her manager and they will have to meet again eventually. But back to the topic at hand, where the heck is she going? Did she live somewhere already? Should she pass by the old room she lived in? She really doesn’t remember anything from this Wendy’s life. She searched inside her pockets and found a small wallet in her back pocket. Opening it, she found an ID card and read the address on it, it couldn’t be. Why was it this address? She quickly stuffed her wallet back in and rushed to the said address. 

 

She stood in awe in front of the big house in front of her. She hasn’t visited this place in a long time in her previous life. She didn’t have a reason to, since no one of importance lived there, at least not after the car crash incident. She hesitantly walked up to the front door, taking slow steps, she was scared of what she would find on the other side of the door. Is it going to be the same empty and dreary place she remembers? She stood in front of the large door and rang the bell, heart in with her thoughts eating away at her.

 

All of a sudden, the door was wide open and in front stood a slightly short lady who seemed to be in her late forties, the woman’s eyes lit up, “Oh Wendy dear! How did the interview go? Come in and tell me all about it. I made some chocolate chip cookies, your favorite.” Wendy couldn’t move, she was too shocked to process what was happening around her. In front of her was none other than her lovely mother, the same mother that died in her arms after the car crash incident as she cried under the rain holding her tightly to her chest. But this time, she was alive, she was alive and breathing, and it wasn’t Wendy’s fault. 


She couldn’t help it, her emotions hit her all at once, relief, confusion, pain, and amongst them was a little spark of happiness. Once again, her tears started streaming down and she couldn’t stop it. For once in her life, she allowed herself to feel. She had cried so much in front of a lot of people, but she didn’t mind it one bit. She quickly felt arms wrapping around her and pulling her in, “Oh sweetie, did it go badly? It’s okay, don't cry. You’ll find something else.” Her mother whispered in her ear in an attempt to comfort her. Wendy hugged her mother back, feeling the warmth and love after so long of living in emptiness. Life was too much and she was ready to drown in this comfort once again. And she’ll be damn sure that nothing is going to happen this time. As all of this was going on, a small thought popped into Wendy’s head, if her parents were still alive, does that mean that she was too?