Chapter 13

Second Chance

Wendy and Joy spent the entire day sleeping, and as the two walked home, a question popped into Wendy’s mind, “What do we even get paid for?” Joy shrugged, “I used to do actual work, until I got assigned as your assistant.” Wendy glared at Joy for a few moments, then looked ahead, “We should definitely invite the two baristas to dinner.” Joy nodded, “Yeah they pretty much did all the work. We can invite them next weekend.” Wendy put up two thumbs up, “Sounds good.” 

 

The two later split up and went to their own respective places. Wendy entered her house and was met with the beautiful aroma, known as her mother’s cooking. She really can’t get over how delicious her mother’s cooking is. Why did that gene decide to skip her? She took off her shoes and ran over to the kitchen and greeted her mother. They chatted for a bit and had a good dinner once Wendy’s dad arrived. It was nice to be greeted when she arrived. She missed this all, and she promised to never take it for granted again. 

 

So, no matter how tired she was, she offered to do the dishes and clean the place. She insisted that her parents go relax because she’s got it all under control. After finishing everything, she excused herself and went to her room. She changed into her pyjamas and laid on her bed, carelessly scrolling on her phone to check any urgent messages. There weren’t any, but there was a message from Seulgi telling her that the camera was all fixed and that she should come and pick it up. Wendy made a mental note regarding that and fell into a deep slumber. 

 

The next day, she woke up a lot more energized and refreshed. God, sleep was important. She went to work and entered the building humming a tune. “Guess, Nicki just won’t leave you alone huh?” she heard Joy comment. “Don’t talk about her, she’s a queen.” Joy scoffed and continued walking next to Wendy. 

 

She handed Wendy some documents, “Here you go.” Wendy’s eyebrows scrunched, “It’s for the meeting you have to attend with Jennie today.” 

“We have a meeting?”

“Well, it’s just a small informal meeting to get everyone accustomed to what’s going to happen in the big company event a few weeks from now... Prepare thyself, for this shall be one of many to come.” Wendy nodded, Joy was such a drama queen sometimes, but she was definitely fun to hang out with, it made Wendy smile from time to time. 

 

They both went into Wendy’s office and sat down, “So, what do we do while we wait for the meeting?” Joy smirked, pulling out a rectangular deck of cards, “I thought you’d never ask.” Wendy gasped, they weren’t any cards, they were uno cards. “Oh you’re on!” 

 

A minute later, both Joy and Wendy were on the floor, smacking cards on a small table, while adding sound effects to make it more fun. Wendy threw down a +2, “You traitor!” Joy fake gasped, then smirked and threw down a +2. 

 

Wendy’s smile dropped immediately, she didn’t know she’d have to use this early on, but she should, she dropped a +4. Joy tsked, then threw another +2, it was getting way too dangerous right now, Wendy looked at her cards, she was out, she had nothing to fight back with. 10 cards will soon become within her deck and she can’t do anything about it. 

 

“How could you?” she whispered in a dramatic way, “It’s survival of the fittest, darling.” Joy smirked, wiggling her eyebrows. Now, Wendy wasn’t really much of a sore loser, she’d take things as they were and try her best to beat others, no matter what. 

 

But not this time! She grabbed the edges of the table and threw it in the air. 

 

Joy gasped, “What the hell? Sore loser much!” 

 

“Yes! Why didn’t you just take the first two cards?”

 

“Cause I wanna win? And if you want anything to blame, then just blame your y luck for it.”

 

“Don’t call my luck y! Only I get to do that!”

 

“Oh really? Then, y y y!”

 

“Arghhhhh.”

 

“Ughhhhhh.”

 

They both started screaming gibberish at each other, Jisoo just stood in the doorway. She was about to fight them for not inviting her to play, but thank god she didn’t, uno was not family friendly. It was a homewrecker. 

 

She sighed at their stupid antics, honestly it was painful for her to admit, but Joy and Wendy just seem to click so well with each other. But she won’t go down without a fight, and she’ll make sure to involve herself, she can’t let Joy hog up Wendy’s attention all for herself. Her cute little adorable, yet sometimes emo Wendy. 

 

She cleared , “es, we got a freaking meeting happening!” She shouted, the two stopped fighting, and Wendy smiled at Jisoo, happy someone was there to get her out of this situation. She happily skipped over to Jisoo, and took Jisoo’s hand in hers before sticking her tongue out at Joy then walking out. 

 

Jisoo was taken a little by surprise, but soon she smiled widely, she enjoyed the feeling of having  Wendy’s hand in hers. Wendy didn’t notice the pink dusting Jisoo’s cheeks at her bold moves, Jisoo on the other hand squeezed Wendy’s hand a little tighter, catching her attention. 

 

Wendy turned to look at her and ask if something was wrong, but went dry. Jisoo’s smile and light pink cheeks made her look really adorable and cute right now, Wendy wanted nothing more than to hug her and squeeze her tightly. Wendy was a little embarrassed by her thoughts, so she quickly turned her head before Jisoo caught her staring. Funny thing is, the whole walk to the meeting room, Wendy refused to let go. A small smile coloring her face and a small bounce in her step, she somehow felt happy.