Chapter 11

Second Chance

Wendy and Joy left the place after saying their goodbyes to Lisa and Yeri, Joy looked away quickly with a slight blush when she noticed Yeri wink at her. Wendy noticed the small interaction and smiled, it was cute. Joy and Wendy then separated and went their own ways after an “I’ll see you soon” and an “I’ll see in like two hours ”. Wendy laughed at Joy’s remark, but she felt great. 

 

She was in a sleep deprivation-induced high state, she hadn't had one of those since she was in college. She used to pull all-nighters with Seulgi and Irene back in the day, and then all three of them would head over to eat pancakes and waffles at a nearby diner before heading to class, since they couldn’t get a wink of sleep. While it was difficult and painful to stay awake to study, those memories were the ones they constantly talked about when they graduated, especially with how easily Wendy would suddenly laugh out of nowhere and how her mood would switch from complete to euphoric in a few hours. Things back then were always easy. When the future would not matter as much since graduation was so far off. It was lively and fun, and no matter what, Wendy would always smile when she remembered those days.

 

She was now walking down the street, heading home, and she just couldn’t stop smiling like a weirdo. Her head was fuzzy and her thoughts were all over, but she felt accomplished. She felt as though they were all superheroes who came together and defeated the enemy. As she was thinking that, she started imitating heroic gestures like the ones she’d seen in the movies. “Bow down before me… you can’t stand a chance!” she bellowed in a deep voice like a villain, “I will quash you!” she said in her own tone, “Hyaah!” she screamed before kicking the air and falling on her , laughing. Guess ‘quash’ has become her new thing. 

 

She was living her own little skit, when her actions were interrupted by a voice, “Wendy…?” She turned around and saw none other than her boss, and she couldn’t help it but smile brighter, “Yes?” Jennie was wearing leggings and a sports hoodie, definitely out on a morning run. She looked at Wendy weirdly, “Are you okay?” Wendy raised her eyebrows, and laughed, “I’ve never been better.” And that was true, everything felt so light, her head wasn’t as noisy since it was pretty exhausted, and nothing really felt real at this point.

 

“Are you… drunk right now?”

 

“What? Oh god no!” she shook her head frantically, before falling into another fit of laughter. 

 

Jennie didn’t believe her, “Where are you headed right now?” 

 

“Home.”

 

“What were you doing?”

 

“Come on Jennie, what’s with all the questions?” Wendy joked. “I was doing work.” 

 

It was the first time that Jennie heard her name come out of Wendy’s mouth, and she had to admit, a small part of her kinda liked how it sounded. But focusing on Wendy’s statement, what sort of work would you be doing so early in the morning? Jennie scanned Wendy and took in her dishevelled state, her messy hair, and her unnaturally dopey smile. 

 

Oh god, could it be? Did her manager… get laid? Oh . Jennie definitely didn’t take Wendy to be the type to go out of her house, let alone sleep around. But why was she jumping around excitedly a few minutes ago? And ‘quash you’? The hell? Jennie looked back at Wendy and noticed the latter closing her eyes and falling asleep while standing. Something definitely wasn’t right with Wendy, so she decided she’ll ask her in a more formal setting. 

 

“Okay,” Jennie said, Wendy flinched awake and went back to smiling suddenly, “I guess I’ll see you at work in like... 2 hours.” Wendy looked at Jennie again, and subconsciously scanned her outfit. “Do you always go out on morning runs?” Wendy asked, and Jennie nodded, confused as to why Wendy seemed to be checking her out carefully. “So, that’s why you have such a great body!” Wendy announced loudly, as if she found the answer to a great mystery. Jennie slightly blushed at her comment.

 

“I absolutely love your outfit. You’re rocking it, my queen.” Wendy stated, as she slowly bent down on one knee and grabbed Jennie’s hand, then she brought it to her lips and placed a small kiss on her knuckles. 

 

Jennie’s brain short-circuited for a moment. What was going through her manager’s head? One day she’s all depressed and mopey and the second she’s all smiley and flirty. Jennie was fully red by then, Wendy was clearly drunk and not thinking straight, so she pushed her away. 

 

“I’ll see you later.” she said one final time before leaving. Wendy looked at her fading figure, she really didn’t know why she just did that, but she was just compelled by a strange urge. Well, whatever, she thought, she needed to go back home soon and get at least an hour of sleep.