Chapter 10

I've My Grip On You

When people say that bad things happen together, they meant it.

"How's Yoogeun?" Eunhyuk asked worriedly the moment he stepped into the house.

"He's resting in his room. He's been having fever since yesterday. I brought him to the doctor but it seems to have worsen today." Eunhyuk's mum explained, her voice filled with worries for her grandson as well.

Eunhyuk hurriedly went into his son's room. Yoogeun was lying on his bed, with a fever patch stuck to his forehead. His face was pale, with sweats dripping down. Eunhyuk placed a hand on Yoogeun's neck and could feel the heat from his body.

"Let's get him to the hospital." Eunhyuk said as he wrapped Yoogeun tightly with a blanket before picking him up.

Mrs Lee frantically picked up a few necessities before following Eunhyuk out. He placed the boy gently on baby seat, making sure that the seatbelt is tightly strapped on. Yoogeun's eyes fluttered open.

"Yoogeunnie is awake?" Eunhyuk greeted softly as he touched the chubby cheek.

Yoogeun nodded his head, "Yoogeun pain." His eyes welled up with tears.

Eunhyuk placed a kiss on the boy's forehead, "Appa is bringing Yoogeun to the doctor. Doctor will make the pain go away. All right?"

Mrs Lee got in beside Yoogeun, soothing the whimpering boy.

Eunhyuk drove as calmly as he could, trying to focus on the road instead of the cries of his baby boy. His heart filled with worries as he thought of the numerous possibilities, and he prayed and he prayed and he prayed that Yoogeun will be fine.

--

"His kidneys condition have deteriorated." The doctor announced, his face solemn, "The waste products and extra water are stuck in the blood, causing inflammation and hence the fever."

"But he does regular dialysis." Eunhyuk countered, flabbergausted by the news.

"The dialysis are not regular enough to cleanse his blood. His kidneys are completely damaged. He needs a transplant as soon as possible."

"I can do it. I am the father, I will donate mine." Eunhyuk offered instantly, in an almost pleading tone.

"We can't do the transplant when he is still having fever. We will have to wait for him to recover. For the time being we will keep him under close observation. At the same time, we will have to do a checkup for you to see if you are suitable to donate."

Eunhyuk nodded, his heart heavy,

Mrs Lee placed her hand on his shoulder, "Yoogeun will be fine. He is strong."

Eunhyuk managed a small smile, "Yeah, he is strong."

But Eunhyuk himself is not. He could feel himself breaking down bit by bit inside. All that is happening is becoming too much for him to handle.

--

"Hyuk." Donghae called out gently, patting the shoulder of his fellow member.

Eunhyuk's eyes fluttered open. He has unknowingly fallen asleep beside Yoogeun's bed.

"Hae."

"How's Yoogeun?" Donghae asked as he eyed the sleeping boy.

"The fever is still not coming down." Eunhyuk sighed, as he lightly ruffled Yoogeun's hair.

"He will be all right. Don't worry." Donghae comforted, settling himself down on the chair beside Eunhyuk, "You should rest.You look like a mess." He commented as he looked at Eunhyuk's messy hair and tired eyes.

"I know. But I can't just leave him here. And I can't sleep in peace until I know that he is all right."

"You can't fall sick, Hyuk. If you want to be able to do the transplant the moment he recovers then you have to keep yourself healthy. Go back and rest, I will stay here for the time being." Donghae offered.

Eunhyuk shook his head, "I will be fine. My mum is coming soon, she will switch with me. But thanks Hae. And sorry that I can't join you guys in the promotion these few days."

"Don't worry about that. Leeteuk hyung has told the manager that you have a family emergency and won't be around for a while. The members are very worried about you though."

"H... Has hyung told the rest about this yet?" Eunhyuk asked cautiously, half afraid to know the answer.

Donghae shook his head, "I think he's waiting for the right moment. Things are very hectic recently. I think he wants everyone to be in good mental and physical conditions before he breaks the news... In hope that they can take it better."

Eunhyuk sighed, "I have caused alot of trouble for him, hasn't I?"

Donghae placed his arm around Eunhyuk's shoulder, "Don't think about it. Teuk hyung says he will handle it, and he will. I believe the rest will stand through with you."

"Son..." A voice called out from behind.

Eunhyuk turned to see his mum standing at the door of the room, her face pale.

"What happened Umma?" He asked in concern as he stood up from the chair. Donghae followed suit, eyeing the tensed expression of Mrs Lee.

"There are... There are alot of reporters outside the hospital... I think they got to know about this." Mrs Lee broke the news. She had arrived at the hospital to see dozens of reporters standing outside, trying to get in. The security has managed to keep them out. Luckily for her, nobody recognised that she is Eunhyuk's mother.

Eunhyuk would have collapsed if not for Donghae who was holding on to him. Why is this all happening at the same time?

--

Sorry for the slow update! I have been busy travelling the world. HAHA. Hope my writing has yet to get rusty, do drop some comments!