You’re Like The Wind Passing By Me, Without Saying Goodbye

Cling

Hyo Min’s POV

I woke up startled and glanced around at my surrounding.

Why was everything so white?

Oh right, I had fallen asleep at the hospital. In Jun Ho’s arms.

Jun Ho.

My heart started to race. Something was wrong, I could feel it.

I lay still in my position, my ear still glued to his chest.

I know I had fallen asleep to the sound of his faint heartbeat. I remembered counting them to sleep.

But why is the only thing I’m hearing now is an eerie silence?

I shot right up in my seat and reached for his left hand. I felt for his pulse.

Nothing.

No, this couldn’t possibly be happening. I must be over-reacting.

I took in a couple of deep shaky breaths; and only then did I realised his other hand was still holding on tightly to me.

Carefully, I pulled away from his grasp and leaned in close to his face.

Why wasn’t I feeling his hot breath against my skin?

No, I refused to believe it. I must be imagining things.

“Jun Ho,” I called out softly.

There was no response from him.

Cold sweat started to break out on my forehead. I clenched my fists nervously.

I shook him gently.

“Jun Ho-ah, it’s time to wake up,” I tried again.

He continued to lie there motionlessly.

Only then did I remember to check his heartbeat rate on the machine.

But I was afraid; afraid of what I might see.

Without thinking further, I pressed the buzzer next to his bed furiously; calling for help.

Within seconds the room was filled with nurses and his doctor.

I had to get out of there; I didn’t want to witness whatever that was going to happen next.

                                                                                              ******************

Everybody had gathered together for Jun Ho’s burial ceremony. Family members and friends had come together to bid their last farewell to their beloved one.

Hyo Min stood off to one side, not wanting to bump into anyone else. She was tired of answering their never ending questions; she’s had enough of pretending she was okay when the truth was she’s breaking apart inside.

Sure, they feel the loss too. But they’re not going through the pain she was in; nobody loved Jun Ho more than she does.

Something scraped her knee as she straightened out her black dress.

Her ring.

The ring which Jun Ho had given her the previous year; the one which she was still wearing up until today.

A tear slid down her face.

Jun Ho, why did you have to leave me...

“Hyo Min, everybody’s waiting for you inside. The ceremony’s going to end soon,” she heard Joon said from behind.

In other words, he meant it’s time for her to say her last few words to Jun Ho...

She quickly wiped off her tear and stood up straight.

“Has everybody else...?”

Joon nodded, understanding what she meant.

“You’re the only one left.”

She didn’t want to get inside; she didn’t want to break down in front of all those people. But she had to it, for Jun Ho.

Hyo Min’s POV

I followed Joon solemnly from behind, my heart getting heavier with each step.

Millions of thoughts were running through my mind; there were so many things which I wanted to say.

But the moment I stepped inside the room and saw his black coffin set at the very front, I forgot every single word I had formed inside my head.

My legs felt weak suddenly and I would’ve fallen to the ground if Joon hadn’t caught me in time.

“Are you okay?”

 I shook my head in dismissal.

I took small tentative steps towards the front of the room; aware that all eyes were on me now.

I saw my parents and his family sitting at either side of the seats; it was like I was walking down the aisle in my wedding dress and Jun Ho was standing up there waiting for me with a warm smile on his face.

But no, this was reality. Jun Ho was gone; there was nobody there to hold out his hand to greet me.

I froze at the last step, unsure if I should go on with it.

I held my breath and there was complete silence from behind me. They were waiting for me to do something; just anything.

Someone handed me a single stalk of white rose from the side and I took it with shaky hands.

I willed for my tears not to fall over as I said the only sentence I could think of;

“May you rest in peace Jun Ho,” I whispered.

Then, I leaned in down close to him until our faces were only inches apart.

With all the willpower I had left, I kissed him softly on the forehead.

I love you...

 

Joon’s POV

Seeing her up there as she placed a tender kiss on Jun Ho’s forehead for the final time; my own tears were threatening to spill out.

It was so heartbreaking to watch her in that kind of condition; my heart went out to her. Just how much can one girl bear inside?

My thoughts wandered off to the conversation I had with Jun Ho just a few days ago.

How on earth was I going to keep my promise now? 

 

happyrose2 ; Hey. Thank you for your comment and subscribing :)

mystery; Thank you! Ah yes, let's just put the reason he's suffering from some kind of sickness? And thank you for subscribing :)

Blockster; I see you here too! Haha. I'm sorry I had to disappoint you :/ But thanks for reading another story of mine :)