It has to be You

I can't keep loving you from a distance

--- All about Yoon Sol away from Jiwan ---

It's a 13 hours and 5 minutes flight from Seoul to London to Zurich, she's exhausted. Yoon Sol wanted to reach her destination immediately because her back is hurting already. She has to get another SIM card so she can talk to Jiwan immediately, but she might do that in some days. She needs to settle first. 

She needs to take the train to reach her Uni and dorm. Her dorm is in the 3rd floor and she has 1 room mate who hasn't arrived yet. Yoon Sol manage to arrange her things and settle down. She palced their picture on her desk, Jiwan was sitting on her lap, arms on her neck and looking at her when it was taken.  It's her 3rd day when she opened her laptop and connect to the wifi given to her at the admission lobby. Some messages from Nabi and Bit-Na, there's a couple of pictures from the workshop and one picture stands out because it was Jiwan's picture from Nabi, she looks serious presenting her report in front of everyone inside the workshop. A video was sent also to her.

"Yoon Sol!" Bit Na and Nabi shouted!

"We miss you here! Guess who aced her presentation today!" Nabi and Bitna moved to the side and come forward Jiwan.

"Yoon Sol!" her usual call. "I made you proud today!!!! I passed the presentation! Professor said I just need to improve some acads and I can submit list of schools for the exchange program!" Jiwan talked fast and nervous!

"Yoon Sol! Why you're not calling? Are you ok? Is everything good there? I miss you here!" Jiwan's last words.

She felt the fang of loneliness. 

She hit the record button.

"Jiwan shi, I'm ok here! Congratulations! I miss you! I miss everyone! I need to settle down first here! Sorry Jiwan I promise to call you once I got my new sim card! I can't wait for you to be here!" She recorded then hit send.

A voice message is sent back to her.

"Yoon Sol, I wish you were there a while ago I know I will make you proud. I clean your apartment, I go there everyday since you left, it reminds me of you! I know it's only 3 days but I really really miss you big time. I love you. Stay away from girls and guys there!" Jiwan said.

She smiled she knows Jiwan more than anyone. She doesn't like other people to come between them but that's not the case now she's all alone and whether she like or not she needs to interact with other people. She missed her so much, she would sometimes imagine Jiwan shouting her name and she miss her sudden hugs. She hopes to survive a year without her.

She just keeps her picture iside her wallet and would often back red all the messages she receives.

When she got her sim card she decided to call Jiwan.

"Yoon Sol! Oh my Yoon Sol! Finally you called me!" Jiwan shouted in the other line.

"SOrry I just called now did you see my email. I sent one yesterday" she asked.

"No, not yet I'm busy with my academics Jiwan, we have test on Friday!" she answered.

"Are you studying because I can call tomorrow. Sorry to bother you" she asked.

"No, no Yoon Sol no don't hang up it's your first call to me. I miss your voice Yoon Sol" Jiwan decline.

She smiled good thing she is studying now, "I miss you" she said.

"I miss you more, Yoon Sol. I'm here in your apartment, if I need to study I stay here. I can study here, it feels like youre here  everytime I am here" Jiwan answered.

"Yoon Sol" Jiwan called.

"Yes" Sol answered.

"I love you!" Jiwan uttered.

"I love you more" Yoon Sol answered.

"It's been a week but it feels like a year Yoon Sol." Jiwan said

How can she console her girl? It's been tough with her too because every time she goes out it reminds her of Jiwan. 

Toni Campus is a state of the art campus, it has long and big halls, the cafeteria is to die foe, she thought Jiwan will be happy to study with her there. Her place in the workshop is thrice as the size of the place she had in the Uni back home. She wanted to recreate "Union" during her stay there. She looking into Industrial Design too. So may choices to make but her loneliness is slowly sipping in because it's their first time to be separated since Middle school. 

"New here? Are you the new exchange student from South Korea" a strange voice asked her.

She faced her, she's like Bit-na multi colored hair with brown eyes. Standing like her.

"Yes I'm Yoon Sol!" she said and tried to give her a handshake.

The woman in front of her did not get her hands she hugged her and give her a cheek to cheek Greetings! Bonjour! I'm Sam, short for Samatha I'm from Paris.

"So you will be my classmate" she said.

Sol nodded. "How long is your programme? I might be here up to 2 years" she asked while fixing her things.

Sol arrange her things, "1 year or 2 years it depends if my ..... will arrive after 6 months" she answered.

"Your girlfriend?" Sam asked.

She looked at Sam.

"Sorry I saw a picture of you and her lying around your things on your table a while ago" she said.

Sol looked around and forgot she pin a picture of her and Jiwan in one of the  tables at her station.

"She's in sculpture too?" Sam asked again.

"Yes, but I feel she's not into it. She's just forcing herself because of me" Sol said.

"That's bad! If I were you I will tell her now. She might have a problem with that once she's here" Sam advise her.

"Thanks!I will" Sol said.

They started to work. She drafted a drawing of her "Union" again but she's planning to add more to the original design.

"Your the new student?" A man's voice asking.

Yool stood up it's her new professor.

"Yes, Teacher"

"Welcome, Yoon Sol right! I love your work! Looking forward to your creations!" I need the draft of your next projects today! If your going to update your recent projects you need to explain why such update is needed. The best project will be displayed at the Art Museum for a month as the center of our Department Exhibition! I'm handing down you course outline, links are there, study it, questions - hit me a message it's in your copy! Need advise I'm available here Everyday, Workshops will be 3x a week. Academics is everyday. Goodluck to you! Lectures is 3x a week too in the lecture room.  Goodluck to this semester everyone!" the professor explained.

"Yoon Sol feel at home here! Your teacher is very proud of you! If you need help I'm always here" her teacher said before going back to it's office.

"So your the famous Korean student everyone is waiting since last semester" Sam teased.

Yoon Sol smiled. "No, I just love art and sculture that's it" she answered.

"And you love your Girlfriend that much huh!" Sam noticed.

Sol is quite suprised with the remark.

Yoon Sol nodded.

"I know why she's lucky for to have you" Sam remarked.

"Why?" Yoon Sol asked.

Sam was caught off guard.

"Your good, I think you will be good here too! Sol!" Sam answered.

Yoon Sol smiled.

Sam became her constant companion especially during workshop time. Night time is reserved for Jiwan. 

"Your order" Sam gave her the burger and drinks.

"Thanks a lot!" Sol smiled and put aside her food.

"How long are you going to stay for today, Yoon Sol?" Sam asked while going back to her station

"Two hours at least I need to attached some of these blocks of wood to its place" She answered without looking at her new friend.

Sam finds her herself staring with this new friend. She's mysterious, gentle and calms her down. Sol would often radiates rationality to her.

Jiwan is one lucky girl to have her.

Yoon Sol never told her relationship with Jiwan to her. She understands it, they have not reached the certain stage of friendship that confiding comes naturally. 

"Why do you need to update "Union"? Sam asked while working on her piece.

"It's for Jiwan, Union is about our friendship, the update is all about US" she answered with a smile

Sam stopped and looked at Sol but the tall girl is busy tightening some knots and bolts.

"Did Jiwan knows Union is about your friendship with her and you have an update?" Sam asked again.

Sol looked at Sam. "No, when she gets here I will explain it to her" Sol said lovingly staring at her work.

"Lucky her!" Sam said to one.

Two hours passed and all wound are attached. Sam saw Yoon Sol sat down and resting, possibly exhausted, closed eyes the tall girl mobile ring. Sol must have been fallen asleep.

"Sol!" "Sol!" Sam shrugged her. Sol opened her eyes 

"I fall asleep" she said.

"Your phone is ringing I think someone is calling.

Sol looked at her phone and her watch, it's Yoon Sol she promised her that she will call but exhaustion made her fall asleep.

Yoon Sol dialled the number of Jiwan.

"Pick it up!" Sol said.

"Jiwan! Jiwan!" Sam can hear Sol calling her girlfriend.

"Sorry I fall asleep, so tired today! Sam wake me up" Yoon Sol explained signaling the other line picked up already.

"She is my classmate, you talking nonesense stop it. You know I would not do that to you!" Sol explained. Sol turned her back to Sam.

"Don't be angry Jiwan, I'm rushing my new project! I will pack my things now and head home. I will call you again when I get to the dorm. Stop crying it's nonsense Jiwan. She's my first friend here!" Yoon Sol said and hang up she's in a hurry to get her things.

"Sam, really sorry about that" Sol said.

Sam half smiled.

"Don't worry it's okay. Tell her not to worry!" Sam answered.

"Let's go you need some girlfriend sitting to do. Sol find time for her she's far away and she needs assurance nothing is going on here." Sam advise Yoon Sol.

Sol smiled and nodded. Sam held her right arm and drag her out of the workshop to go home, which reminds her of Jiwan.

Sam would link their arms whenever their going to eat lunch and dinner or simply walking home to their respective dorms.

She's not like Jiwan who would lunge herself to her whenever they meet. She would greet her with a smile like Jiwan but never stayed for so long in her station because she's busy building her project too. She would help her around the city and sometimes would teach her few French words. Sometimes she would she would speak to her in French which she never really understand at all like "je t'aime bien"(I like you) or "Elle a de la chance de t'avoir"(She is lucky to have you). 

She managed to be in her dorm immediately and set up her laptop for a video call.

Once the video call up she noticed Jiwan is crying

"Sorry just got home, are you crying?" Sol asked.

"No" Jiwan denied still not looking at her. She's holding the stuff toy she gave her.

"Jiwan please don't make it hard for me here" Yoon Sol pleaded.

"Yoon Sol it's also hard for me here" Jiwan answered back.

"Really sorry Jiwan, I need to finish the project. I want you to see it when you come here. Will you please look at me" Yoon Sol said.

Jiwan looked at her still tears from her eyes!

"Jiwan, please don't cry. It's a lot harder here. I'm so far from you and I'm alone here." she pleaded.

"Sol, do you think joining you there is a good idea?" Jiwan asked.

She's suprised.

"You don't want to be with me here?" All she can asked.

"I want to be with you! Always but lately I'm having doubts if sculpture is what I want" she answered.

"What do you want then?" Yoon Sol asked.

"I like painting than sculpture?, would you like to change, can you still apply if you change major?" Yoon Sol bombarded Jiwan with questions.

"Did your parents know? Did you tell professor?" she added.

"Yoon Sol stop! I can't answer all your questions. I'm telling you because I want you to be the first person to know. I don't belong to sculpture. I didn't expect you bombarding me with these questions! You know what,  This is useless, us talking right now. I need to go now Yoon Sol" Jiwan explained and the video stopped.

Agitated, she tried to dialled but it was only ringing, Jiwan doesn't want to talk to her. This is their first argument and she's so anxious. She's not used to this, after  a couple of tries calling her girlfriend Yoon Sol simply gave up and decided to go out for a smoke. 

"All along I am right about Jiwan, she's into Sculpture because of me not because she wanted to do it." she told herself.

Half an hour past and 4 sticks of cigarettes were lighted already.

Nabi sent a message, Jiwan is with her crying. She wanted to reply but dare not to.

Her project deadline is coming up and she wanted to go back for a week at least before their 100th day!

All sorts of questions and what if's.

What if she decided to break up with her?

What if she did not pursue the exchange program?

What if she will not talk to me again because I'm a pushover?

"Hey! Why you're here?" Sam asked.

"You are smoking?" she exclaimed.

Yoon Sol nodded.

"Only when I'm stressed" she said and lighted her 5th cigarette.

"How's it going?" Sam asked, she managed to sit beside her.

"She's mad at me" Yoon Sol answered.

"I thought you will make up with her" Sam hugged her.

"She said she doesn't want sculpture that she feel she doesn't belong there anymore. I bombard her with questions and she turned off the call. I tried to call a couple of times, I simply give up

" Yoon Sol explained and she can feel her tears are about to fall.

"Yoon Sol, it's your first argument with her right?" Sam asked.

Sol nodded wiping her tears now.

"It's part of the relationship Yoon Sol. If you will only say yes or she will only say yes it's not healthy at all. Sometimes you really have to disagree because both of you are different. You have to accept that what you want may not be good for her or what she really wants may not good for you. Let her be for a while but do not go to sleep without trying to call her! Fights should be resolved before you sleep. I have to go, My room mate is hungry" Sam advised and head to her dorm.

"Thanks" Yoon Sol said. Sam disappeared into the night in a few minutes

She replied to Nabi. "Is she drunk?" She asked. Knowing Jiwan would sometimes resort to drinking 

A beep sounded.

"No she's crying and feeling pressured to be with you now."

"I will call now" she said.

A few rings and a familiar voice answered.

"Are you still crying" Yoon Sol asked.

"Not anymore, Sorry Yoon Sol." Jiwan answered.

"I'm sorry too, Jiwan" Yoon Sol said and find herself crying.

"Why are you crying?" Jiwan asked.

"I never thought it will be this hard, Jiwan. Having an argument with you and I'm so far away" she answered.

"It's both hard for us, Yoon Sol. It's hard here too. 10 years you never been away from me for this longest time. I'm sorry because I caused you this. Will it be ok if we ....." Jiwan answered.

Yoon Sol looked at her girlfriend... She knows what she is suggesting right now.

"I said it's hard. I did not say we part our ways right now! Aren't we going to give up this fast, Jiwan shi?" Yoon Sol said.

"I'm always causing you trouble or pain, Yoon Sol. I think it's best to stay away from you or let's go back to being friends" Jiwan justifying her stand. Yoon Sol cannot believe she's hearing this from her. She never once complained of her pain to her. She never once mention how her heart was ripped a couple of times whenever Jiwan with someone else.

"No, you never caused me trouble. Why are you like that Jiwan? Why can't we just worked this out now. Let's forget what I asked. If you want to change major I'm fine with it, talk to professor and asked her how you can be here even if you're not a sculpture major. I will wait for you here,ok in 6 months time even if it takes you a year I will wait for you. Just don't suggest that we need to break up now. Asked Nabi's help please. I'm pleading to you right now! because the greatest and only hurt you will be giving me is for us to break up now." Yoon sol pleads, crying and this heaviness in her heart knowing Jiwan might really decided to stay away with her for good.

Jiwan nodded.

"Yoon Sol I think you need to rest now" Jiwan suggested.

"That's it, are we ok now?" sol asked.

"Let me think about it" Jiwan answered.

"I will call you again tomorrow. I will call Nabi and professor" she said.

Jiwan nodded and hung up. Now she's more anxious than ever and she's unsure if they were ok or not. 

She's so anxious the following day in school, she wanted to  fly to Korea by that moment just to talk to Jiwan.

"Hey you're not going to finish it on time if you will just keep on pacing back and forth like that" Sam told her.

She is suprised to see her in front of her crossed arms.

"Stop, Yoon Sol! Did the two of you made up yesterday night!" Sam asked.

Yoon Sol didn't answer.

Sol started to work on her project. Sam stopped her. "Something is not right, Yoon Sol. Let's smoke" Sam drag her out of the workshop Sam asked her to seat beside her.

"Spill it out, Great Yoon Sol" Sam said.

Yoon Sol was offered a cigarette by Sam.

"She wants to break up with me yesterday night and I don't know if we are okay now" Yoon Sol sum it up.

Sam is speechless. "Sorry Sol I think my advise is the not the best option yesterday" she said.

Half smiled. "Don't be you're right we cannot leave a fight just like that. I told her it's ok if she wants to change major that I will wait for her until she gets here. Practically pleaded almost knelt down to my knees just for her not consider breaking up with me" Yoon Sol detailed what happened.

Sam held her hands, it's warm and comforting but it not Jiwan's hand. 

"That's why you're not the usual Yoon Sol I can see everyday since you arrived" Sam said.

"You're madly in love with Jiwan! She's one lucky girl to have you" Sam bitterly uttered becauseif she's in Jiwan's place I would do everything with the tall woman seating next to her.

"If I only have the time and money to fly back today I will just to personally talk to her" Sol added after puffing out the smoke from her cigarette.

"Have you been madly in love with someone before?" Sol asked.

"The kind of love you have for Jiwan? Yes but she caste me out that I ran here in Switzerland to study never to return in France" Sam answered.

"Jiwan had dated a couple of guys. She's practically a pro but I'm new to this, I used to be in the sideline, her ever trusted bestfriend and now I'm on their place and I practically I don't know how to handle her as a partner." Yoon Sol asked.

Sam laughed a little.

"Yoon Sol, it's not a course in university. There's no book or how to guide in a relationship. You and her must worked on it if both of you decided to stick and love one another. Experience is the best teacher still. What works for me will not work for you. She's your best friend I am sure you can handle her" Sam consoled her.

"I have to call my friend so she can assist her and call the teacher to know her options. I need to call her today" Yoon Sol added.

"That's the spirit! You and her will figured it out Yoon Sol" Sam cheered her.

Sam hugged her and she can feel lightness and independence when she's around Sam but her heart is looking for the comfort of lunging arms around her shoulders or waist. The person who loves to steal something when they eat together and the fit of hands when  they were holding each other together.

She's somewhat confused with Sam but she would always clings back to Jiwan. Even if it's hurting right now, even if they are not really okay. 

Sam went inside first after her last stick and she needs to stay to call Nabi and the teacher to help Jiwan.

"She wants to change major, please talk to her and help her Nabi" she beg.

"Let me see what I can can do she's absent today" Nabi said.

"Did the two of you got into fight" Nabi asked.

"We had an argument and she's asking to break up. I pleaded not to because it's hard to be away already and it will be harder if I'm not there"

Nabi is quiet she's listening.

"I will call her Sol let me check her at your place later." Nabi said.

"Thanks Nabi" and she hung up.

She tried to call Jiwan. A couple of rings before someone anwered the call.

She dialled Jiwan's # No one answered she dialled thrice but still no one is answering.

She's worried now... Where is Jiwan?