Loop

The Sound of Heart

For the last 5 years, Fairytale Night had been the biggest event of the year at Pyeonghwa. And to prove that, the management team put lots of money and effort in recreating a magical world for the kids there, from the various whimsical photo corners, to the costume rental booths and of course, the annual acting skit as a tribute to Disney by Pyeonghwa's staff.

 

This year I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't play any role in the skit but the sign language narrator. Unlike me, Hyojin still had to dress up. “I'm thinking of making it a tradition”, said Sunye with satisfaction as she showed me and Seulgi the way to the dressing room where Hyojin was at. Sunye was extremely excited with the skit even though the original female lead had to turn down the role due to a positive Coronavirus test result and they had to quickly find a replacement.

 

And the replacement, who was also a new volunteer, was no other than Kang Seulgi.

 

She was such a salvation to the skit's “executive producer” Kim Hyojin.

 

Yet a nuisance to me.

 

As I had been literally stuck at her place for two whole days just to observe and give feedback for her countless practice sessions. 

 

Nevertheless, I appreciated her goodwill and effort. Not many people dare to pick up something they hadn't done and spent precious time after work just to get well prepared like what she had done. Unless you were Seulgi!

 

“Unnie, and who's that returning volunteer?”

 

I asked Seulgi as we strolled along the corridor to Pyeonghwa main hall. Sunye told me earlier that there were actually some more last-minute replacements, among which there was a returning volunteer. But as I didn't go to the final rehearsal, I hadn't had the chance to see them. 

 

Seulgi replied me with a knowing smile.

 

“That's the perk for those going to the rehearsal yesterday.”

 

I sighed. Does she need to act that mean when I had to give up the final rehearsal due to my grandmother's sudden visit? 

 

“Geez” - I stuck out my lower lip - “If you're playing mysterious, that person'd better be a famous one.”

 

“Let's say, he's quite well-known to many people here but probably not to you.” - Seulgi nudged me and pointed her chin to our front, laughing as she made a sudden halt. - “Oh here he is.”

 

I turned my gaze to Seulgi's direction and heard myself blurting at the person who was literally running to us.

 

“You?”

 

The returning volunteer. The volunteer that was said to be widely admired at Pyeonghwa. The debuting Fairytale Night actor. The owner of the special painting-on-request booth where lots of teenagers at Pyeonghwa was flocking to.

 

And the person requesting a song to motivate me on FM The 9th Hour.

 

Kim Taehyung.

 

He welcomed me with his usual smile.

 

“I thought you couldn't make it today, Wheein-ssi.”

 

“Ah yeah” - I cleared my throat, totally flustered as Seulgi didn't even bother to hide her mischievous smile. - “My grandmother just stopped by for a short visit.”

 

I didn't know why I was explaining to him but he listened to me as we walked behind Seulgi and headed to the dressing room. A few teenagers passed by and asked Taehyung for a painting but he simply said that the booth has closed .

 

“Seulgi unnie said you were famous here.” - I crossed my arms, commenting. - “Seems like I've missed a big part in Pyeonghwa's history.”

 

“Erm. . .” - He titled his head aside and pouted at me. - “You just barely cared, didn't you?”

 

“You do sound a bit mocking, you know that?”

 

“Oh I could totally understand because I was a bit hurt that you didn't know how much famous I used to be here.”

 

“But now I know it anyway. . . A bit later than others though.”

 

“The moral of the story is that I deserve more of your attention, Wheein-ssi.”

 

“For real?”

 

He nodded in confirmation without any added explanation. Or perhaps we didn't have time for explanation as I was busy being too stunned to speak when a figure walked out from the changing booths in colorful overflowing medieval dresses. And the conversation between me and Taehyung immediately switched as the person recognized us and started to walk over.

 

“Erm” - Acknowledging my surprise, Taehyung whispered to me, trying to explain the scene taking place at our front. - “Your dear Kim Hyojin oppa must've been so excited to have Seulgi noona as the female lead that he even created the Fairygod Mother role at last minute although we were in short of actors. So I had to quickly find stuntmen for the stepsister roles as I would take over that new role.”

 

“And you asked...” - I hesitated a moment before letting out the name - “Juyeonie?”

 

“And Hongsol.” - Taehyung shrugged sassily and said with a loud voice just to let Juyeon hear him.- “The only people that agreed to help.”

 

“But he didn't tell me that I have to cross dress like this.” - Juyeon quickly walked towards us, trying to balance himself against tripping over the puffy gown he was wearing. He then paused a second and the usual smile appeared on his face - “Hello Wheein noona.”

 

“That does look cool on you, Juyeon ah.” - I said with the reasing voice i usually spoke to Juyeon and craned my neck over his shoulders, trying to see if Hongsol was around. - “And Hongsol must be inside, right?”

 

Juyeon didn’t answer. Because Hongsol gave me the answer by finally appearing in the pink gown behind him. And Taehyung blurted out exactly the word I wanted to say.

 

“Wow!”

 

She definitely didn't play the role of a princess but she looked. . . well, pretty in that overflowing medieval gown! Perhaps it was due to that I had only seen her in casual clothes and barista uniform. Who knew if I could have the same reaction once seeing her in business attire?

 

“He's surely missed out a princess, eh?”

 

I tilted my upper body to a side and commented with an undertone, assuming that Taehyung was there and he knew who I was referring to.

 

“Absolutely true.”

 

He agreed right away. Well, that could be the only thing that could connect us right now. 

 

“Yeah. And you know what. . .” - I whispered, secretly glancing my eyes at Juyeon, whose back was facing us. - “Seulgi said his blind date was also a fresh graduate. . .”

 

“I also heard that. So . . .Same same but different, huh?” - Taehyung joked and waved his hand to signal me to move closer. - “But Wheein-ssi. . .”

 

“What?” - My head inched a bit towards him.

 

“I didn't know that you also gossiped.”

 

“Shut up!”

 

I gritted my teeth and spit out a swear, only to make Taehyung crack up in satisfaction for successfully teasing me. Our suddenly loud reaction disturbed Juyeon from his focus on Hongsol getting final touch from the makeup artist. He turn to us, frowning.

 

“Are you guys talking behind my back?”

 

“Nope!”

 

I denied right away. We quickly stood straight back and exchanged a grin. "He who excuses himself accuses himself" Taehyung mumbled a proverb, almost had me snort. Apart from what happened between us, we still clicked when it came to others' business. And even telling each other to get composed as according to me, “We are older than most of people here” also made me feel more comfortable upon seeing Taehyung again.

 

“Hongsol ah, you look pretty!”

 

I complimented as Hongsol finally stopped in front of us and spun around to show me the whole gown, for which she almost tripped on the hem had Juyeon not reacted quickly to reach out his hand and hold her in the elbow. Hongsol mumbled a “Thank you” to him and immediately put on her usual bright smile turning to me. 

 

“I didn’t know I would look this good unnie. Gotta think about buying a few dresses.”

 

“Geez” - I - “Guess who once told me she would stick with pants forever.”

 

“Well that's what the immature Kwon Hongsol used to say. . .” - She swayed in her position, smile on her lips. - “I'll simply take it back.”

 

If only everything could be taken back that easily.

 

I briefly frowned at myself, mentally shooing such thought away. 

 

“Right” - I held my thumb up - “Then you know what your graduation gift is.”

 

We chatted a while when a makeup artist waved at us and called Taehyung's name.

 

“Time for my transformation.” - said Taehyung with excitement. 

 

“I'm looking forward to it, hyung.” - Juyeon added as Taehyung made his way to the inside - “If I can't be the prince, neither can you.”

 

His words rang a question in me. Right, if Hyojin wouldn't be the prince and neither Juyeon nor Taehyung would play that role, who would be the male lead to pair with Seulgi. I thought it out loud by asking the two juniors.

 

“Oh right, you didn’t come yesterday.” - Hongsol once again stated the fact that had been causing a lot of surprise to me so far. - “He's also a replacement.”

 

“But he did even better than us at rehearsal, didn't he?” 

 

Juyeon commented and Hongsol agreed with a nod. Their beating around the bush didn't feel so right to me.

 

“Who is he?” I hastily demanded and Hongsol was the one to provide the answer. An answer that puzzled me even more.

 

“Park Jimin.”