Grand Plan

The Sound of Heart

Autumn was slowly coming to an end. The coverage of golden foliage was narrowed down in the city. The carpet of crunchy brown fallen leaves got thicker and the tree branches became more exposed. The atmosphere was no longer chilling like a few weeks ago. And along with the awareness that days were getting shorter and shorter, late autumn looked dull to me.

 

Saturday welcomed me with a hazy sky, which, to Byulyi's disappointment, was her least favorite condition for photographing. "I hate using too much dehaze but it's just so smoggy." said Byulyi, grumpily swiping through the photos she had taken before we got on the bus. I would want to say something to comfort her but couldn't think for anything aside the thought that smoggy photos had their own beauty. So I just grinned."There'll be another better day though."

 

Next to me, Hyejin yawned and leaned on my shoulder for a nap. She even snatched my left earbud for a sneak peek of the demo recording for next week's FM the 9th hour session that I was playing. "Don't you think your voice and that Taehyung guy's match so perfectly?" She asked randomly and I just shrugged in response. "Just matching is enough. No need for perfectly." Hyejin laughed at me while her eyes still shut. "Come on Wheein ah, if it's a fact, accept it."

 

We were taking an early bus to a nearby town, where Yongsun and Eric had arrived yesterday. It was not a normal trip at all. Instead, this would be the occasion for proposal that Eric had planned for weeks. With our support, of course.

 

Eric called me during lunch time one day, explaining that he would like to propose to Yongsun with a surprise event and he would be grateful if her sisters were there to witness and congratulate them. I agreed at once, it was something I've been longing for anyway. Hyejin was a bit reluctant then as she foresaw business travel overlapping but in the end, here we are together all looking forward to the show tonight.

 

I fixed the collar of my shirt and straighten the blazer's sleeves as I was waiting for my turn to walk out to the pavilion by the beach, where Yongsun and Eric were about to have their dinner. Eric had booked for us a room at the resort and we were able to check in without being seen by Yongsun as he had taken her out when we arrived. And when sunset came, it was showtime. Eric attempted to recreate a movie night on the beach. Romantic, isn't it? And for having the most spare time during these days, I volunteered to pick the movie and Eric let me do whatever I wanted, as long as it would link to his ultimate purpose, which was a proposal. It took me a day for brainstorming, a few more days to execute and now the production would be aired in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

 

"Awwwwwww!!!!"

 

I heard Yongsun scream as I and the other two Mamamoo girls were en route to their place. The video had taken all of her attention the moment I, Byulyi and Hyejin greeted as the Loser Group - a Mamamoo sub-unit as we usually joked - and started sharing about the two lovebirds. We showered Eric and Yongsun with praises and appreciation for their being sweet to us, as if we were all blood-related siblings. We complained Eric for taking so long to make Yongsun the best bride as we had seen her looking so glorious in wedding gown back to when she worked part-time as a wedding photo model. We even got emotional anticipating the day when Yongsun would not be present at our rented house all the time. Yet despite the incoming sad farewell, I was the one to get positive at the possibility of new vibe for her Youtube channel as she might feature Eric in couple experiences. Along with the sharing, I also incorporated various footages and photos of the couple I had collected from their own SNS and my own collection of random videos - which, thanks to the help from Hyojin, was edited beautifully in the video.

 

Yongsun had already got teary as we finally reached their table on the beach. But as she saw Byulyi hand Eric a small black velvet box and pull her biggest smile ever, she broke out crying.

 

"Oppa" - Byulyi said to Eric - "So here comes the day we entrust you to take care of our unnie!"

 

Radiating with happiness, Eric received the box from Byulyi, took a few steps and kneeled down in front of Yongsun, who was covering in awe. I knew it looked just like any surprising proposal I came across on the Internet but witnessing it as the lady's friend was definitely another level of feeling.

 

"Kim Yongsun" - Eric spoke, nervousness was all I could hear from his voice. - "I'll make it short and clear, the straightforward way you've always wanted. Will you marry me?"

 

He then opened the box, revealing a ring, sparkling in the cotton candy shade of sunset on the beach. Yongsun turned to us, still looking all emotional as if asking us to confirm this was reality. I didn't say a word, I was busy smiling to be exact. Byulyi was, too. Only Hyejin, with her unconventional sense of humour, urged our big sister.

 

"Unnie, hurry up. I'm starving as ."

 

We cracked up. Hyejin surely knew how to break the ice! And her joke also helped both Yongsun and Eric regain their emotional stability as Yongsun then took a deep inhale and wipe away her tears before turning to Eric and held out her right hand towards him.

 

"Then I'll also make it short and clear." - Her dimples were visible even in the twilight. - "Yes, I do!"

 

I heard Byulyi and then Hyejin clapping excitedly. My hands automatically followed the rhythm to clap as Eric took out the ring, put the box on the sandy beach and held Yongsun's right hand, about to put the ring on her ring finger. However, we would never expect that Eric, who was an university lecturer, was still nervous even at this point of time. So nervous that his hand became shaky and consequently, to our utmost surprise, the ring slipped through his shaky fingers and fell onto the sand!

 

"Oh !"

 

Eric unconsciously exclaimed and scrambled on his knees to look for the ring with faint light from the projector. Lucky for him, the ring was right next to his feet and he was able to quickly get it back, blow away grains of sand and slipped it to the right place - Yongsun ring finger.

 

"That's a bit dramatic of you, oppa ah."

 

Yongsun commented jokingly and then pulled Eric into a tight hug. That sweet action of hers just mesmerized me that had Byulyi not nudge me to signal, I would have completely forgot to press the button to play an old song called "I do". There was the chorus with only the phrases "I do" and we Loser Group just vibed to it with any dance movements we could think of. Well, if anyone asked me what happiness was, I would take this moment as an example. There was not in fact a specific word to describe but somehow, happiness was the moment that you enjoyed immersing in and even afterwards, thinking of it still put a smile on your face.

***

The couple dinner finally turned out to be a cosy family dinner as per Eric's preparation. We chatted merrily and even discussed about a possible timeline for the wedding. Eventually, we all agreed that next spring was the best choice. By that time, Eric would have his spring break at university and since it was not a high time for weddings, Hyejin would have spare time to plan for the wedding just like what she had promised. Byulyi said she'd already had her own idea of a wedding gift for the couple, which left only me without anything to prepare for.

 

"Don't make it a burden for you, Wheein ah." - Yongsun said to me as desserts, elegantly decorated yuzu Eclairs, was served - "I will need your input for a lot of artsy stuff."

 

"That's right." - Eric added. - "And the video you made was just amazing, Wheein ah. I would love to have to shown at the wedding."

 

"Thanks both." - I brightened and sliced a piece of eclairs with my fork. - "Hyojin oppa did help me a lot with that."

 

"Geez, be confident, Jung Wheein" - Hyejin interjected from across the table. She had finished her Eclairs and now was having her eyes fixed on Byulyi's as our second eldest sister was not a big fan of sweets. - "Hyojin oppa only helped with the tech thing but your effort to gather all the stuff, record and put them into a storyline was enormous enough. You should at least be proud of yourself."

 

Yongsun, Byulyi and even Eric nodded in approval to what Hyejin said. In a way, they were afraid of me being inferior of myself and hence, undervaluing my own effort, which would trigger my Pandora box of anxiety opened again. Therefore, the atmosphere suddenly tensed up and that was even more frustrating to me. I stopped chewing and glanced at each person. Then letting out a sigh, I made an exact copy of how Hyojin usually nagged at people:

 

"Ya, you guys are spoiling the mood. Really! Hurry and eat up the cake, the frosting was melting."


***
Please like and let me know what you think about this update. Thank you! XOXO!