Chapter 1

The Galaxy Above Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So, this is what happened!” You slowly start to drown out what one of your girl friends are saying. Of course, every time she goes on a date with someone new, she feels the need to spill it all to you. 

The group of you didn’t have classes today but still met for tea at a cafe near your campus. 

“He sounds so cool.” Your other friends gush and squeal about her almost fairytale-like experience. Honestly, could you really call them friends? They were pretty much self absorbed and thought that college life was perfect with the social parties and cute boys to ogle at. 

“(y/n), are you listening to me?” She snapped her fingers in front of her face. 

“Huh? Sorry, just have a lot on my mind right now.” You forced a small smile. There it was, the looks of pity. 

“Your family again?” 

“No… Just tired from staying up late to study.” You lied through your teeth. They were too dense to even notice as they shrugged and continued their conversation. You poked at your fruit in your cup with the stick. 

You regret telling them about your family dynamic because now, they think you’re constantly depressed by that. 

“You sure you’re okay? Want to go to the nurse’s?” Your friend placed a hand on your shoulder. 

“I’m fine, really. Besides, we always go out for drinks after a successful date, right? Wouldn’t want to postpone because of me.” You quickly tried to change the subject. They were all surprised by your words but grinned widely, cheering and hi fiving each other as the girl beside you hugged you. There, you successfully turned the conversation back of them. 

“That’s the spirit!” They giggled. 

“Where should we go? Let’s try somewhere new this time.” Whipping their phones out, they began to look for new places to drink and have a good time, mainly to celebrate a successful date. 

“This place looks interesting right?” A phone was shoved in your face. 

“Yeah. Let’s go there. It looks fun.” You smiled again and they all squealed in excitement. Then the conversation shifted to what they were going to wear. 

Did you want to go and get drunk in a strange place? No. But did anyone ever ask what you want? No. 

Most nights drinking with them usually consisted of you staying by the bar while the others danced on the LED floor and it often led to you taking care of everyone as they got drunk and sending them back to their homes at night in taxis. That was always how it went. 

“(y/n), I think your car is here.” Someone called, nodding over to the black car that waited outside the glass, on the road. 

“Right.” You gathered your things and stood up. 

“We’ll see you tonight?” They looked at you, blinking with smiles. You nodded and they giggled. Sending them one final smile and wave, you headed outside, slipping into the backseat. 

“How was your lunch with your friends?” The older, business male asked as he drove. 

“It was fine. By the way, I’m going out tonight.” You replied, rubbing your temples. Your father looked at you through the rearview mirror, nodding his head with a soft hum of acknowledgement. 

You didn’t really bother to ask your father how his day went since it was pretty much the same every day at the office. It was always him being a good worker, the leader of his division. Besides, your relationship was far too strained and awkward for you to actually ask him. This car ride with him was already gruelling enough. 

“Don’t forget about the business dinner this Friday.” Was all he said. You repeated his actions, letting out a hum. 

“Stay safe tonight.” Your father parted ways with you as you walked through the front door. You nodded your head and went upstairs as your father headed into his home office. 

Your family wasn’t rich but still above average. With your dad’s position and job, he was able to buy a nice car and house for the both of you. But you still insisted on working to earn your allowance and also, get out of the house. 

“The weather is nice.” You pushed open your windows. The sky was brightly lit by the sun but it wasn’t too hot. It was a nice warmth, almost like a hug. 

“Another night of caring for my drunk friends.” Sighing softly, you headed to your bathroom to shower. After your shower, you stood in front of your closet, trying to decide what to wear tonight. While your friends were always particular about dressing to impress, you just wanted to look presentable. 

Not stand out. 

*chirp*

Turning your head, you saw a little bird sit on your window sill. A small smile appeared on your face as you softly shuffled over to it, not wanting to scare it away. Even as you stood in front of it, the bird stayed. 

“Hello.” You greeted. The bird tilted its head, hopping closer to you. You held your hand out and it jumped into your palm. 

“You’re so pretty.” You stared at the red bird nestled in your hands. The bird suddenly flew around your room, letting out cheerful chirps. It landed back on the window. 

“You’re lucky you get to be so close to the sky.” You said to it. Casting you one last glance, the bird hopped out and flew away. You left the windows open as you laid in your bed, deciding to just have a short nap before you would have to wake up and get ready for your night out. 

“The red bird.” You stared at the tiny creature in front of you. 

“Do you like it?” A voice startled you. You turned around to see the faint silhouette of a person. His features weren’t distinct and you had to really squint to actually see him. 

“Who are you?” You asked. 

“Can you see me, (y/n)?” He asked back. 

“A little. I can’t see your face. Who are you? How do you know my name? Where am I?” You looked around you. 

“Patience, my butterfly. You’ll find out soon enough. Even if you can’t see me, I’m happy that I get to see you. I can’t wait when all of us get to meet you.” He chuckled and you saw the faint outline of a smile. 

“All of us?” You tilted your head. 

“I can only talk to you because you made contact with one of my creatures.” He explained, making you more confused. 

“One of your creatures?” 

“I’ll see you soon, my butterfly.” His voice slowly faded and you saw the red bird flying away into a distance. You raised your hand, as if trying to reach out to it but it disappeared from your sight. 

When your alarm woke you up, you started getting ready; changing, putting on some light make up, deciding what shoes to wear. By the time you were done, you slung your bag over your shoulder and left your room. As you passed by your father’s office, you contemplated letting him know that you were leaving but decided against doing that and just left. 

“(y/n)!” Your friends called out to you, waving as you came out of the taxi. You smiled and walked over to them. 

“You should have come to the mall with us just now. Do you like my dress? It’s new.” One of your friend giggled, even doing a twirl to show

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter