-epilogue: Memories part 1

Waste It On Me

This chapter will be in Irene's point of view. Hope it doesn't ruin anything for y'all since the story is techincally over.

i definitely didn't procrastinate on a paper, i'm dead and want to be done w/ school. send help plz

--

"Irene, when are you going to get married?" 

"I'm too busy. Besides, my business is thriving and I'm always on the road."

"Don't you think you should get settled down soon? Your friends are already married with children!"

She'd seen them on social media, sharing all their successes and happy family lives. It felt all so stupid, which is also why she stopped using social media. It helped take the pressure off things.

Irene always laughed it off then. It was easier to say no when she was younger. Plus, she made her own money and had other more interesting friends than these "friends" her parents were referring to.

She glanced at Wendy, who was simply lounging in a chair and spacing out at the open window.

Now here was a girl different from the pack of people she grew up and met over her time. Wendy had gone and left her family behind without a blessing, even being shunned by them for going against their wishes in profession. Wendy didn't let them control her, and she was an intern at a studio looking to hire her once her contract was over.

That was admirable.

And she was thankful. Without that turning point for Wendy, who knows if Irene ever would have met her?

"What's on your mind?" Irene leaned back in her chair and stretched. 

"Nothing much."

"Really." Irene knew her well by now. Wendy would only get lost in thought whne she was troubled by something, and it was usually teh same thing these days.

Family. 

Ever since Wendy's parents passed in the accident, she'd been a bit withdrawn.

But she didn't press the matter and went to stand beside her. "Shall we go for a walk?" Irene suggested.

"Sure. whenever you're ready."

"I'm ready now." Irene gently brushed back Wendy's locks behind her ear, while gazing at her face. The girl seemed tired, and Irene almost wanted to kiss her forehead to comfort her.

Her heart suddenly leaped and Irene had to stop because she was startled. Lately, she was feeling wierd around Wendy - a good kind of weird, but not a good one either. A guilty good feeling, and not that kind of guilty pleasure you're probably thinking of.

"L-let's go," irene stammered and started to close up the windows. "I heard it's gonna be cold so wear something warm."

"You know I alwasy do." Wendy grinned as she pulled on her hoodie. "It's spring but why's it so cold?"

 

Their footsteps were measured as they silently walked round the residential area. It was so peaceful today, and she wished everyday could be just like this with Wendy at her side.

Seulgi was Irene's childhood friend, but for some reason it felt like she knew Wendy longer. Maybe it was their chemistry being so well and all. Irene truly felt like Wendy was some gift from heaven fallen into her life the night Seulgi introduced them.

They were more similar than anyone could have guessed despite their .

Irene imagined what days in the future might be like. Still walking together at age 50, 60, 80? Just a phone call or message away from one another? 

Growing up old and reminiscing their golden days seemed nice. Only if they could still be in each other's lives.

"I've been thinking about flying back," Wendy finally said whne the sun was barely visible behind the buildlings around them.

"To Canada?"

"Yeah, it's a bad idea. No one will welcome me after what I did."

"Are you going for them or your parents?"

Wendy paused. "Honestly...for me...I stil feel so guilty. I just, i just need to send them off properly and maybe this feeling will go away."

The odler woman grasped her hand gently and used her other hand to take WEndy by the shoulder and turn her round so she could look at her properly. "It's not your fault."

She knew Wendy was trying to hide tears because the girl was lloking down, letting her fringe hide her eyes. "You had nothing to do with the accident. Your leaving is separate from their passing."

"But if I had stayed..."

"You wouldn't have the oppotunities you have right now." Irene tipped her chin up and gave her a soft smile. "And...and I woudln't have met you."

 

Irene gazed in those tear filled eyes, glistening under the street light.

 

The wind grew cold, and lightning lashed over head as rain began to pour down.

I'm not happy.

Why am I not happy?

I did everything they wanted me to.

--

Irene popped open a beer can swiftly before downing a few needy gulps. It was showering outside, and she was not too keen on driving acros three cities for an instagram creator's posh ideas. It must be her old age geetting ot her or something because she normally wouldn't turn down a gig back then. 

It didn;t matter anyway. She had enough money that one gig wasn't going to kill her.

Normally on an off day she would call a certina someone over to entertain her, more like keep her company because irene enjoyed her presence.

How time passes, she mused. It felt like many years since she last saw Wendy. 

She'd gotten the letter from the girl, but never rpelied, never looked up the address or how far it was. 

That chapter is over, she was very adamant about it. She didn't wnat to think about it, didint' want to remember it.

But her dreams were haunted by these memories, of Wendy standing there in tears under the rain professing her love for Irene, who turned a blind eye because she coudln't handle not being "right".

Irene wasn't even sure who she was supposed to be now. She'd been going on and off to therapy, but nothing seemed to be helping.

She hated talking about the past.

She hated talking about happiness and sadness.

She hated their prying questions.

When were you the happiest?

The onlly happy times she could recall were when Wendy was around. Time passed too fast when they were together, and she wished days could last longer just so they woudln't have to be away from each other due to work.

Not htat they were far away, but still -

Ah, she was getting lost again. 

She still remembered those lips, washed under the rain and tears. It shouldn't have been a wedding that night.

They shuold have run away. They could have eloped. 

I'm your family Seungwan. I'll be on your side no matter what...

an empty promise she coudln't keep to save face.

--

It was unfortunate that her mother insisted she attend a gathering of family and friends to celebrate just for old times sake. People were getting older so she supposed that it was some kind of appreciation of everyone that was still alive.

She was nearing 40 herself. That must mean Wendy was around 30 or something.

"Irene! you made it!" her mother welcomed her in. "Seulgi and the others just got here. She's having a baby!"

"That's nice."

"ISn't it? I really hope you will be able to find someone right for you."

"Sure." Irene stepped inside and dropped off the takeout she brought as part of tonight's meal. 

Everyone chorused a greeting to her and were all hugs and kisses. She congratulated Seulgi on the coming of a baby, and then made small talk with other old pals.

"Are you ok/' Seulgi asked her while everyone else was occupied. "I heard about hwat happened."

"I'm fine," Irene replied. "It's all just getting blown out of control."

"Oh...were you able to see Wendy?" 

"..."

"I mean, she mentioned that she talked with you back then, but she never said anything more. I just was worried..."

Then why didn't you contact me at that time?! Irene wanted to burst out but she held her tongue. no need to ruin tonight's party.

"Don't worry about it. Everything's dealt with."

 

When the dinner was done and over, Irene was the last to leave since she was helping her other to clean up dishes and rearrange everything. 

"I'm glad you came over tonight," her mother said. "i was worried with you all cooped up alone."

"I'm fine. Thanks for the food."

"Dear, I...we haven't been speaking much lately, but I do wish we could communicate better. Things have been...tumultuous ever since..."

Irene shut the cabinet door too loudly. Everyone was triggering her tonight talking about the past and her mistakes that cost her the one thing she was too late to realize that she loved.

"Communicate what?" she snapped. "how you want me to stop everything and get married? How you just want me to do this and that? I've done everything! I did everything you wanted and look at me now!"

"Irene. DOn't raise your voice like that. It's my fault you turned out this way? I did everything for you so you could grow up a normal life with a complete family!" mrs. Bae countered.

Irene curled her hands into fists over the countertop as she tried to collect her composure and not go crazy from the pent up emotions inside her.

"I'm going home." was the only thing Irene could muster.

 

Irene woke up with a cold a few days later, which was great because hse didn't feel like leaving her bed anyway. 

She let the radio play just so she woudlln't be alone with her thoughts. Nothing good was on anyway so she slammed it off and turned over on her side.

Why did everyone have to talk about the past?'

Sleep eventually overcame her, only to bring her more dreams of Wendy, making her heart ache with yearning for that person.

At least she could pretend that nothing was wrong in that realm. She could be close to her without seeing her. She could be the strong one there, and hold Wendy close. She would be at Wendy's side visiting the girl's dead parents' grave. 

She would have told her parents that she was already in love with someone, and never gone through with those silly dates.

Irene didn't have to care there. It was familiar, but it wasn't real.

And nothing could change that.

--

Irene walked alone to the store. She didn't much feel like driving and she just really needed to be doing something. The woman perused the aisles looking for something interesting to eat. Instead, it only brought back the days Wendy might appear with groceries in hand to make meals at her unit. Or even Irene bringing food to Wendy when the girl was not feeding herself.

She came across the ramen packs they used to share when they were feeling cheap and unhealthy.

It was good on a cold night.

Irene picked a couple flavors and went to buy them at the self checkout area. 

Once she was safely home, she prepared a pack for herself and inhaled the familiar tasty aroma. 

I miss Wendy.

--