Epilogue Final

Waste It On Me

Irene stared out over the rim of the cliff as the wind caressed her face, the moon with its cold gaze. In her hand was every photo she'd had of Wendy and Wendy and herself together.

She gazed at the memories that were fading into time and she lit them each individually with a lighter, holding them out in front of her as the memories burned physically in the public ash tray until there was nothing left.

I thought I had changed, but it was only you.

I am still the same coward.

You're right, we cannot be together, not in this lifetime.

"Goodbye...my sweet Seungwan."

--

They were inseparable as they wandered the streets back to the loft Sojin rented temporarily. They were attached at the hips, at their lips, Sojin's hands clinging onto Wendy's shirt trying not to fall as they made their way back to Sojin's living quarters all while kissing.

Back at the loft, Sojin practically shoved Wendy into the makeshift bed and drowned her with kisses and sweet words. She missed the closeness they shared and hearing her voice against her lips, her ears, her neck. 

Moments later they were a tangled mess in the sheets, bare chests rising and falling after making passionate love. Wendy had never slept with anyone before so it was all so new to her. "I'll be gentle, love," Sojin had murmured barely audible over Wendy's hiked heartbeat and soft whimpers of growing pleasure.

She was so relieved that they were back together, the stress of everything that had passed drained her as well as their love making, and she fell asleep to Sojin telling her how much she loved her.

The next morning, she awoke to Sojin gently rubbing her chest and gazing at her sleepily.

"Good morning love," Sojin greeted her. "I have the place until noon, and you looked so comfortable so I let you sleep in."

Wendy leaned in to meet her lips and relaxed to her warmth and sound of her voice. 

She hadn't slept this well for a long time.

--

Ever since they reunited, things finally seemed to be calming down. Now that Wendy knew where her heart truly lay, she could finally take a fresh breath and let go of all the things she regretted back in her younger days. Everything was out of her control that happened after she left home. Everything form the time she met Irene was out of her control because ultimately it was only Irene who made those decisions. 

These were bittersweet memories whnever she thought back to them. 

She had been young and naive, waiting and wondering.

I guess love really is fickle...Wendy felt a slight twinge of guilt in her chest because she remembered Irene's exact words taht day she uttered them.

Even Wendy's love for Irene dwindled as the days turned into months into years. 

If you had waited a little longer, Irene's outburst replayed.

I did wait.

Wendy closed her fists and tried not to fall back into the darkness of her mind. You can't expect me to wait like a dog...

She couldn't imagine living her whole life not knowing if Irene could really love her. Irene had always laughed at her before whenever it came up. It's not real, Irene had said.

But I love Sojin. And it's real. 

Wendy puzzled over it for a few more seconds, but decided it wasn't worth her brainpower anymore. The days of her and Irene were over and maybe it was for the better. Besides, she was happier with Sojin, someone who returned her feelings, and maybe loved her more.

Sojin was busier though, especially with the type of work she had and the hours that weren't very flexible. So she was mostly tired these days, but Wendy enjoyed nothing more than to serenade her to sleep with her guitar. 

 

"What do you think about kids?" Sojin asked while they enjoyed coffee at the park. The dogs were loungng at their feet and being well behaved desptie the activities.

Wendy shrugged. "They're ok." She glanced at the latter who seemed content to be watching a family interaction betweeen the father and a small toddler daughter. "Do you like 'em?" she asked.

"They're cute, but they are a lot of work. After taking care of dogs, I don't think I'd have the patience for kids especially at my age now."

"I used to want children," Sojin continued. "But, turns out I can't have them ever."

"What do you mean?"

"I just kept getting sick. I had maybe five miscarriages, and a really bad infection at the end." Sojin sighed and rested her head against Wendy's. "Did you know women lose fertility the older they get?"

"Well, yeah, every month we have the thing..."

Sojin chuckled. "I knew you were smart."

"I know some things."

"I know you do."

After a few more quiet moments of watching the goings on at the park, Sojin finally stood up and stretched. "It's getting a bit cold. Shall we go home?"

Wendy nodded, but before they left, she undid the maroon scarf round her neck and wrapped it around Sojin's. "happy three years."

Sojin's eyes glowed and she took Wendy's hand to kiss her knuckles. "Seungwan, you make me the happiest."

--

As Christmas drew near, new projects for both Wendy and Sojin's jobs were popping up here and there in anticipation of the new year. Wendy was usually up past midnight trying to finish working on her newest tracks, while Sojin was mostly sleepy after a draining day in the office. 

"Love, are you going to sleep?" Sojin wrapped her arms around Wendy's neck from behind and kissed the top of her head. "I hardly share the bed with you anymore."

"Maybe another hour," Wendy replied with a yawn.

"You'll get burnt out. Sleep early tonight." The older woman massaged Wendy's shoulders and it actually felt relaxing after sitting in front of the computer all day.

"I'm almost done - "

"You can finish it tomorrow morning then." Sojin said as if that would close the conversation. And it did. Wendy could do nothing but save her project and follow Sojin because she was tired and missed falling asleep beside her.

Wendy practically collapsed onto the comfy bed and felt instant relief in her bones and body. Sojin turned off the light and kissed her forehead as she shifted closer to her under the sheets. "Good night, love."

"Night," Wendy mumbled barely awake while Sojin cuddled her..

 

Wendy could finally take in a huge breath as the weight of her projects were lifted off her shoulder.

It was a Friday evening, and Sojin was not yet back home. Wendy decided that she wanted to do something nice for her since they barely spent enough time together for hte last few months despite living together.

When Sojin returned home, Wendy had already finished making dinner for them. The older woman greeted her as she usually did, by surprising her. This time, Sojin her jawline and Wendy almost dropped the spoon in her hand. 

"Honey, I'm home," Sojin said in a singsong voice.

Wendy smiled and kissed her back. "Dinner's ready."

 

"If you weren't a musician, you might be a michelin star chef," Sojin told Wendy while they were washing the dishes. "THank you for the food."

"Anything for you, Sojin," Wendy felt her heart melt when Sojin nuzzled her cheek. Oh my god...i'm cringey cheese...

After, Sojin led her to the living room and held onto both Wendy's hands once they were facing each other.

"Dance with me?" Sojin asked.

"D-dance? I don't know how."

"It's easy. Just follow my steps." Sojin placed Wendy's hands on her hips before placing hers on Wendy's shoulders. 

"But...there's no music."

"There will be in our imagination." She wrapped her arms around Wendy's neck and nuzzled her nose. "It's been so busy, we hardly had time to really spend together."

"I guess so...the time passes too quickly these days," Wendy agreed. She gazed into Sojin's eyes studying her serene features. "You're beautiful, Sojin."

Sojin would normally lightly punch Wendy's arm and say something along the lines o, 'stop flattering me.' But today, it made her cheeks flush and she rested her head against Wendy's shoulder as they contineud to slow dance to imaginary music. "Thank you."

"For what?"

"For being my special girl."

Wendy shut her eyes and wrapped her arms around Sojin's waist. "Thank you for not giving up on me."

At that point, they stopped their rhythm and the only thing she could focus on was Sojin's gentle breath against her skin, and how her warmth was more comforting than she ever felt. Both were estranged from their families, heartbroken by first loves, and their paths crossed at just the right time, or so, Wendy thought to herself. 

Maybe that made things easier for them, she mused. There was no one to shame either of them except for strangers of course, but that didn't matter. There wasn't any close enough family to shame further. As for Sojin, she didn't even care what anyone thought. SHe knew what she wanted, and never beat around the bush. 

Her heart hurt less when she thought about the past as days went by. Now it was like a distant memory, almost a dream. 

"Sojin, will you marry me?"

Sojin cupped Wendy's face and swallowed her words sealing their lips together. She placed a few more chaste kisses and gazed into her eyes. "How's that for an answer?"

That made Wendy's cheeks warm up and she didn't nknow how to respond. 

"Why are you so shy now?" Sojin teased. "IT's not like we haven't kissed. Plus, I've kissed more than just your lips."

"Sojin!" Wendy couldn't believe the audacity of the woman for ruining a romantic moment. 

The older woman laughed and trapped her in an embrace. "Of course I want to marry you, Seungwan." She pressed another kiss to Wendy's lips and pushed her forehead with hers. "I would be so happy to spend the rest of my life by your side."

 

That night as they lay together in bed, Wendy felt an indescribable wave of emotion in her chest, her whole body. It was something beyond happiness.

The sound of Sojin's soft pants and moans as they made love felt so familiar to her ears, the feeling of her hands and mouth against her skin - she arched her back as Sojin's fingers touched all the right spots to make her reach her .

--

They didn't have a big wedding scelebration. Wendy only brought Joy along as a witness for their wedding day and they signed the paperwork, had a tiny fast wedding, and went to eat brunch at the nearest restaurant.

Since Wendy had dual citizenship, Sojin now had dual citizenship as well so if they really wanted to, they could move away from Korea if they wanted to. But Wendy pushed the idea out for now. The culture shock would be overwhelming for Sojin, who was already stable and had a good place in her work life.

Anyway, the important part was that they were legally married, and Sojin was more than happy to wear the ring Wendy placed on her finger.

Wendy printed into her mind the happiness on Sojin's face, the way her eyes glowed when they made their vows and said "i do." She memorized the feeling of her lips against hers when they had their first kiss as a married pair.

I'm married now.

Sojin is my wife.

I'm someone's wife.

THe thought was almost unbelievable, but she glanced down at her left hand to the ring on her finger, and Sojin who was standing close beside her, holding her other hand.

She hoped she wasn't going to wake up from this dream if she were still asleep.

"Do you feel ok?" Sojin asked.

"I'm not dreaming, am I?" 

The latter nuzzled her cheek as she embraced her. "No, love. I'm right here."

Wendy shut her eyes and inhaled Sojin's familiar scent when she buried her nose in the older woman's shoulder.

--

For their "honeymoon", they traveled to the tourist palces in America and including New York, where Wendy learned something Sojin hadn't mentioend to her before. 

"I used to live here."

Wendy did a double take getting left behind as Sojin continued to walk the busy streets of NY nightlife. "YOu lived here? When?"

"hmmmm, a while ago. I was about 23 I think. I came here for art school."

That explained all the trips to art galleries and exhibitions.

"Did you make stuff?" Wendy asked knowing how dumb it sounded.

"Yeah, I made stuff," Sojin replied. "It got featured once." 

Wendy frowned. "You never showed me any of your works."

The latter chuckled and wrapped an arm aroudn her waist as they continued walking. "It's hiding somewhere. I'll dig them up when we return home."

 

On the last night of their honeymoon, Wendy sat alone outside the balcony of their rented suite while Sojin was showering. The moon was full tonight providing most of the light save for the lantern post flickering in the slight wind.

She held her hand out to look at the wedding band once more glinting under the faint light.

It really felt surreal, and Wendy felt so light. She didn't feel the deep sadness from the past much anymore.

"Hey, love." Sojin placed her hands on Wendy's shoulders from behind.

"Hey."

It was quiet between them, and Sojin sat down on the spot beside her as they stared out over the blacony to the empty courtyard.

"Whats on your mind?" Sojin asked.

"A lot of things," Wendy replied.

Normally Sojin would chide her for being so vague but hte older woman seemed to udnerstand the unspoken meaning. Sojin pulled Wendy against her shoulder and held her close. "do you want to talk about it?"

"No, I just want to enjoy this moment with you."

--

Irene snapped the last shots of the engaged couple before her. She was beginning to hate the fall because it seemed like to-be-weds were scheduling her a lot during that time before the raging cold and storms of spring and summer.

Finally it was over and she returned home to develop and make the prints. 

It was quiet.

Wendy used to be here to entertain her and wait for her.

They were inseparable once.

Thinking back, she sholud have known Wendy was the one.

But...maybe it was destiny.

She never met Sojin before, but she must be special if Wendy chose her. 

Irene didn't feel like her old self anymore. Even though she had resurrected her blooming business, everything that happened from the wedding after took the life and passion out of her.

Still living under the shadow of her family.

She felt nothing, all she could do was live and work and try to exist like normal.

It was almost a dream. Those happy moments with someone who just clicked with her. 

She leaned back and left her work to grab a beer and gaze at the cloudy outdoors. There was a slight breeze carrying fallen leaves and the sound of birds departing.

 

Maybe in another lifetime.

---

END?

 

 

yep its over beeeechessss. Thnks for sticking it out iwth me on this one.

Sorry, ive been very busy and stressed. life not doing me well right now but it's ok. i'll be back eventually :D

Thanks for your support! Hope you enjoyed and have good day!! Let me know your thoughts and whatever you wanna comment below.