-3-

Waste It On Me

"Are your parents coming to the graduation?” Irene asked. 

“I’m not walking,” Wendy replied. 

“What do you mean?”

“I got the internship. It starts on graduation day.”

“Won’t they want to celebrate?” Irene frowned. 

Wendy shrugged. “I don’t want to waste their time. This isn’t what they wanted for me.”

“Then, let’s celebrate. You and me.”

“Haha! No way. I’m boring.”

Irene grinned and pinched her cheek. “I can think of lots of interesting things about you, Seungwan. Like how cute you are even though you deny it, your cheeks are so squishy, your charming smile…”

Wendy laughed again and pushed her off. “Maybe for you. Fine, where should we go?”

“Something relaxing and fun…”

“Watch a movie?”

“No, I want to do something with you.”

“Let’s go on a sailboat. I’ve always wasted to try,” Wendy suggested. 

But that turned into utter disaster as they both got seasick and the boat driver rushed them back to the dock. They hadn’t even gone that far and Irene was retching over the edge while Wendy was apologizing profusely for this horrible idea. 

--

1 years before current timeline…

 

“Wendy?” Irene gently touched the girl’s hand from where they were lying on the grass and watching the sky. 

“Yeah?”

“Are you alright?”

“Yep.”

Irene sat up and leaned over her so now Wendy had to look at her. So Wendy shut her eyes, pretending that she was enjoying the sun. 

“You’ve been quiet all day.”

“I’m quiet.”

“Did something happen?”

“Yeah, you’re blocking the way.” Wendy opened one eye. 

“Idiot!” Irene punched her shoulder. “Seriously, you’ve been like this for the whole week. Tell me what’s on your mind?” The older woman moved back to her original position and gazed at Wendy, who seemed to withdraw into herself mentally.

“My parents are dead. It was a hit and run- my sister told me.

“What?! Why aren’t you there?”

Wendy covered her face in her hands before sitting up. “Why would anyone want to see me? My parents cursed me from the household, they told me Im not welcome back if I left. I’ve done nothing but dishonor them.” She was trying not to let her tears show, she never cried in front of people if she could help it. 

Irene placed a hand against the girl’s back and watched her carefully. 

“They already did the funeral. I only sent flowers because I can’t face everyone else. I’m heartless, aren’t I?”

“If you want to see them, why not? You don’t have to tell anyone. I’ll even go with you if you like.”

Wendy shook her head when she couldn’t hold back her tears, and Irene pulled her close to console her. 

“You’re not heartless, Seungwan. You’re afraid of the unknown.” Irene kissed the top of her head. “When you’re ready, let’s go back together. You don’t have to face them alone.”

 

“I’m your family, Seungwan. I’ll be on your side no matter what.”

Wendy hardly could hear Irene's voice anymore. Only the thought that Irene was gonna marry that man rang in her mind like church bells on a sunday morning.

"wendy, you'll help me with the wedding, right?" Irene asked.

"W-wha?"

"I want you to be there to help me," Irene said. "Won't you? I don't want my mom fussing over me."

"Y-yeah, you're my friend. Of course I will," Wendy told her automatically. "I want you to be happy."

"It would make me happy to have you at my side." 

--

So that's how Wendy found herself sitting in front of a wedding planner person to discuss themes, colors, invitation templates, and everything silly thing that sounded a lot like it cost too much for the outcome. She was doing this for Irene, she had to remind herself.

"Irene likes lavender," Junmyeon said to the wedding coordinator named Taeyeon. "Do you have something like that?"

"Sure, we've got an assortment of shades. Take look!" Taeyeon beamed and pointed at the brochure.

Wendy couldn't believe she let herself get dragged into this mes - yet again. She could have gone to a music festival that her internship job paid in full for her, but no, she was here, sitting miserably next to Irene to help plan a stupid wedding.

Because she wanted Irene to be happy, and Irene said this would make her happy if she attended as well.

"What do you think, Wendy?" Irene asked and showed her the block of color, which was one of many shades of the light purple color.

"Maybe this one," she pointed at another one that was slightly darker. "it pops out more, that one is a little too washed out if you pair it with cream or something."

Irene seemed to be taking in everything Wendy was saying like it really mattered. "Can we do that, Junmyeon?"

The to-be husband seemed slightly annoyed but nodded because everyone wanted Irene to be happy. He cast a glare at Wendy, who just let it pass. She didn't blame him honestly. It sounded more like they were planning a wedding for Irene and Wendy. 

Next, Taeyeon wanted to discuss where to hold the wedding: church, clubhouse, beachside clubhouse, wilderness - the list went on and on.

"Let's do the beachside," Junmyeon said. He looked to Wendy, "Any objections?"

Wendy sat back in her chair to show that the floor was all theirs. 

"Ok beachside," Taeyeon concluded,"Now, how about..."

 

After the meeting, which was one of many, they went to get some takeout for dinner. Wendy knew that this was her cue to leave and let the lovers be, but Irene wanted her to join them much to her dismay. 

Well, Wendy would have been stressed out of her mind leaving Irene alone with the guy let alone any of her dates. She felt like a controlling person of some kind, always having to watch over Irene because she really wanted to make sure her friend was safe. 

So, she wouldn't have said no anyway.

Unforunately, Irene excused herself to the restroom, which Wendy thought was her friend's way of forcing her to get along with Junmyeon. Wendy figured she would probably have to tolerate him for the sake of Irene, and she didn't want to be nasty. It was just unfortunate that she loved the woman who was going to marry someone else. Irene was going to give him everything, her attention, her body, and bear his children.

They're gonna be really rich, Wendy suddenly thought to herself since they were both very well off professionals. 

"So...how old are you?" he asked.

"23."

"You do seem a lot younger," he remarked. "What do you do?"

"I work at a music studio," she replied before taking a sip of water. "Paid internship."

"You teach?" he asked.

"No, a recording studio. I mix and master music for artists," she explained. 

He seemed impressed. "What'll you do after?"

"They're gonna hire me."

"Congratulations." Junmyeon looked around and took in a breath. "You know, Irene thinks highly of you. I'm honestly a little jealous."

Wendy laughed. "Don't be. She's marrying you."

"You're right." He laughed as well. "We're gonna have a family, maybe like three children. We'll live in a nice house in Gangnam, and she can have the photo studio she's been wanting to upgrade."

As he continued to talk, Wendy felt a sinking feeling in her chest. Irene told him the things she told Wendy.

Her special person was going to be someone else's special person. She wasn't sure if she could handle that if she was already having a hard time with this.

Irene finally returned, her appearance clearing the tension and making Junmyeon smile. Wendy turned her attention to her food so she woudn't have to watch his dumb face as he talked comfortably with Irene.

"How's the shrimp?" Junmyeon asked once they started eating.

"It's good. Do you want to try some, Seungwan?" Irene held her fork out to Wendy's mouth to eat, as if she completely forgot her boyfriend was there.

Wendy glanced at Junmyeon, who looked surprised too - maybe because Irene shoudl have been feeding him and not Wendy. Deciding not to try her luck, she shook her head and took a bit of her fried rice. She didn't miss Irene's disappointment and confusion because the girl usually did not reject the offer.

However, Irene didn't offer it to Junmyeon.

 

Another week, Irene went to try on some wedding dresses. Of course, Wendy was going to accompany her. Junmyeon didn't accompany them because he wanted to be surprised at the wedding.

Oh right, when's the wedding?

Somehow, Junmyeon managed to snag a venue and organize all the music, catering, and what not for the next month. It was gonna be a summer wedding.

Possibly the worst time ever in Wendy's opinion, but she figured they must be trying to get married quickly to get it overwith.

Wendy tried to be present despite her mind getting plagued with thoughts of the future - a future where Irene would be busy with her married life she would eventually forget about her.

She wondered if she might be able to make enough to provide a comfortable lifestyle for Irene. Right now, she was on a fixed pay amount for the internship. But once they hired her, she would get a raise. Then, she woudl have enough money after the first year working full time to upgrade her living situation.

"What do you think of this one?" Irene tried probably the 8th dress by now.

In Wendy's opinion, everything looked great on her, but she did not want Irene to wear something too revealing. What if Junmyeon wanted to consummate the marriage the night of the wedding?

NO. no. I must not think this way, she told herself, i'm being selfish.

Finally, Irene tried on the last dress. It was all white, covered her bosom and shoulders tastefully, the long dress pooled around her feet, and made Irene look...

"Beautiful," Wendy breathed.

 

Once they made the arrangements and discussed the price for the dress, Irene went to undress, and Wendy quickly went to the lady who was helping them to request the price.

"Don't tell her, I'm paying for it," Wendy said.

"Oh. oh my...uh, sure!" the woman replied and took Wendy's credit card.

Wendy had to plan out her finances before making this decision. The dress was not cheap. Hell, it cost more than her rent by a lot. 

This whole wedding fiasco was getting to Wendy's head, and the more she thought about it, she came to the realization she was going to have to accept. 

So this was going to be her last gift to Irene before their lives would part ways.

--

"What?" Joy spat her bubble tea everywhere, the boba balls spraying out like machine gun bullets flying out. "You're letting her get married?!"

"She's a full grown adult who can make her own decisions," Wendy replied. "Besides, she told me it's waht she wants."

Joy looked exasperated, hanging open, but no sound coming out as she moved her body, trying ot make sense of this. "So, she...the love of your life, found this dude by chance at a photoshoot...and he wants to marry her after like three weeks?"

"Yep. He's got everything she could ever need."

"Yeah? Well, are they in love?" 

Wendy shrugged. "They're both on the same page. They're just looking to settle down and start a family." She took a long drag on her peach tea. "They don't believe in love."

"You should tell Irene how you feel."

"No. I dunno. I don't want to ruin what we already have."

"What? Her precious friend who runs around at her calling from dusk till dawn?' Joy said. "Come on. Irene must be blind if she's completely eliminating you from her options."

"She wants kids, Joy. I don't have a ."

"You could always adopt."

"Oh yeah? I also don't have a high paying job, and I'm too young. Junmyeon can give her a comfortable life, he even said he could pay to get her a new photo studio built."

"Sounds like he's buying her over with his money."

Wendy shook her head because this was just giving her a headache. There wasn't a point in thinking about trying to talk to Irene about this. The woman had her mind made up, and Wendy didn't want to make her upset. "i don't want to talk about it anymore."

Joy gave her a sympathetic look and pat her shoulder. "It's ok. Irene doesn't know what she's missing."

--

Wendy had no idea there was such a thing as a wedding dress rehearsal. She didn't realize how many people Irene knew, although it was a given that the woman was older than her by 6 years. She was going to be 30 next year.

Irene's parents were not here yet. Irene wanted them to be surprised. 

Wendy was going to be their host because Irene trusted her to take good care of them.

The wedding was boring and long. Wendy could have been resting for the weekend instead of having to sit here and listen to people bicker over the arrangements. She picked up a soda from the icebox and popped the top open before taking a drink and settiling down at the chairs in the outdoor patio. The view in this beachhouse was great right now.

An image of her and Irene standing together in the evening popped up in her mind, and she quickly swiped it away.

No time for fantasies.

"Hey." Junmyeon took the seat beside her.

Wendy didn't even look up as she took another sip. 

"Everyone's gotten a little too passionate about the wedding," he said, seeming to try to make light of the situation. "Thanks for helping. Irene's taking this a lot better than some other people."

"I just want her to be happy."

"As do I. And a lot of other people." Junmyeon gazed toward teh horizon, following Wendy's line of sight. "If I were an outsider looking in, I'd think that Irene was dating you."

"..."

"She always talks about you. Wendy this, Wendy that...it's endearing but also...a little disappointing," he continued. "Irene is supposed to be my girlfriend, and as selfish as it sounds, I feel like she should be talking about me like that."

Well, you hardly know each other, Wendy remarked to herself. They only knew each other for less than a month!

"That's why, I need you to hear me out. A favor? We haven't really had a moment alone where we could really bond like a real couple, and...i don't think it's possible if you continue to be in her life."

She knew where this was going, but she waited for him to say it.

"please, after the wedding, can you leave us alone?" he asked.

"What does Irene think of it?" she replied.

"I didn't tell her about it," he answered. "I just was hoping you might help me if you tell her yourself. Like, you're getting too busy with work or something, or your family want you home - "

"Don't bring my family into this!" Wendy snapped. 

"Whoa..sorry, I..."

She was really mad now, but she needed to cool down before she did something really irratioanl. She finished her drink in an effort to calm herself. "It's fine, you didn't know." She tossed the empty drink in the nearby trash can. "I don't have a choice do I."

--

On the day of the wedding, Wendy made her way to the dressing room where Irene was getting prepped up for the event. Her friedn was doing her make up, and the other maids of honor were giggling and rushing around to get ready. They had all met Wendy, and thought she was a cute little girl, like some little sibling from other blood of Irene's.

Wendy didn't want to wear a dress so she wore nice dress pants, and a cream colored shirt under a black vest.

"How are you feeling?" Wendy asked after closing the door.

Irene smiled upon seeing her and reached for her hand to pull her in to a hug. "I just want to get it over with. But I hve to make it believable for my parents, right?" she muttered in her ear.

"Right. What if they don't like me?"

Irene chuckled. "They're nice. Don't worry. Just be normal." 

Wendy nodded and started to turn away so she woudln't miss the Baes. But Irene tugged her back, and gazed into her eyes for waht seemed like a suspended few seconds of time. The woman seemed to be searching for something, but let her go. "see you after the wedding."

"Y-yeah..." She was hoping their last tiem together before then would have been more meaningful, but today was Irene's day. Junmyeon and Irene's day.

 

As Irene stated, her parents were nice, and they were very happy to meet her. Apparently, Irene had told them about her as well.

"You are such a sweet heart!" Mrs. Bae gushed. "I'm so glad my Hyunnie met you."

"She's been a lot happier with you in her life," Mr. Bae added.

"I want her to be happy," Wendy replied.

She offered them something to drink beacuse the summer day was warm and little humid. Luckily, the beachhouse had AC to keep everyone cool. People were milling about and gossiping excitedly. Wendy spotted Seulgi talking with old friends from college that Wendy stopped keeping up with because seh was just too tired to even try. 

I only talk to Joy and Irene, she realized.

Am I going to be alone until I die? 

Joy won't always be here...

The ceremony was going to get started, and Wendy needed to find the best seats for Irene's parents before running back to walk her friend down the isle. Usually, Irene's father was supposed to do that, but Irene wanted them to enjoy their time. He also had a ledg injury from when he was in a war so she didn't want him to struggle down the aisle, although he woudl have done it gladlly.

Wendy was going to walk Irene down the isle.

And she couldn't say no because she wanted Irene to be happy, and Irene said this would make her the happiest to have Wendy at her side walking down the aisle.

Everything happened too quickly, like a dream. Wendy walked Irene down teh aisle, her friend's hand daintily holding onto her arm - it felt too short when she had to release the love of her life to Junmyeon.

Irene's soon-to-be husband smiled and gave a curt nod to Wendy as if reminding her of his special request. Teh younger girl bowed her head and stepped to the side so they could read the vows and say the words that would make them husband and wife. 

"If anyone knows why the couple should not be joined in holy matrimony, let him speak now or forever hold his peace" The priests words rang out.

Wendy froze, her hands cold adn sweating. She could do it. She knows why the couple shouldn't be joined in holy matrimony. 

This was the moment to speak her mind, to tell Irene that marrying for anythign other than love was going to make her unhappy.

If Irene married that fool, Wendy would be erased forever.

Her heart raced as the silence prolonged, waiting for someone to say something to stop this madness...

But she coudln't do it, not in front of Irene's parents. It would ruin the woman she loved, and she had to let it go.

They made their vows, and Junmyeon took the kiss that should have been hers.

--

The wedding was torture for Wendy, but she it up to make this day the best for Irene. She helped Irene's parents navigate the venue and made sure they were comfortable the whole time.

Sometime in the night, during the dance between Junmyeon and Irene, it began to rain, first softly then a consistent shower.

Lightning crackled outside in the night sky, the ocean no longer the beauitful shine it had when Wendy first saw it.

 

At the end of the wedding, people were drunk and happy, congratulating the pair on becoming one. Junmyeon looked very proud, while Irene remained cool and collected. Wendy finished helping the coordinators pack up the event props and thanked them for spending their time in this summer storm.

By the time it was all clean, the only people left were Junmyeon, Irene, and their families, and also Wendy.

She felt her heart died or something sometime during the wedding as she listened to them converse and talk about the future that looked so promising for them. 

They were going to get a house in Gangnam, have children, live comfortably - everything Junmyeon said.

This is goodbye.

 

Wendy wished she brought an umbrella with her. The summer storm was unexpected and she was parked far from the entrance of the venue. She still wanted to say goodbye to Irene, but it didn’t seem possible with the fuss she was getting from Junmyeon’s family.

“I want to change. I don’t want to mess the dress up in the rain.”

“Need help?” Junmyeon offered.

“No.” 

The parents laughed catching on to the implications of Junmyeon’s question. 

Wendy hid behind a column as they took a last look around before leaving. How empty everything became now…

She peeked found the corner and briskly jogged away from here, her steps echoing off the walls. 

The rain soaked her in seconds and she stopped running when she realized no amount of speed was going to do anything for her. She was out of shape, tired, and sad. 

Wendy leaned against a lamppost to catch her breath. The rain wasn’t that bad. It didn't feel too cold either and she began to wonder if this might just be a bad dream. Any moment she would wake up back home - either her apartment or her hometown with her mother, father, and sister.

But when she opened her eyes again, she was back in this nightmare. 

She took one more glance at the place that had been full of people. It looked so ominous now in the lightning.

But she knew she should have continued walking away because Irene’s familiar figure came into view in the darkness. Wendy whirled around hoping Irene didn’t see her, but the woman was already calling her. 

Walk away, please…but her feet were rooted to the floor. 

“Wendy? Why’re you standing in the rain?” Irene asked. 

Wendy felt like her heart was unsteady and her eyes were going to join the rain. “I’m trying to wake up.”

--