-7-

Waste It On Me

"So what brought you back?" Seohyun asked. "Things didn't work out?"

Wendy kept her tongue in check as she let her older sister vent. It was understandable after all the eyars of being absent from her family. She didn't even bring anything back for her sister, or any other of her extended family. She wasn't expecting much of a welcome anyway, but thought it would still be appropriate in some way to meet at least her surviving family. 

"You didn't call back on holidays or birthdays, or anniversary. You could have sent cards but you didn't. You didn't even come back for the funeral.  What kind of person are you? Who in their right mind acts like this to family?"

"..."

"Why did you even come back? Did you think I'd welcome you with open arms?"

"..."

"You're delusional. That's what. Your dreams were bigger than you, and now you've come back because it didn't work."

Wendy was getting angrier by the second because she knew her sister was right, but also wrong at the same time. Everything did work for her until Junmyeon came into Irene's life. If I had convinced Irene to stop, if i had stopped the wedding, things would have been right. 

I would still be with Irene, I'd be working full time at my dream job.

We would have come back to Canada together, just like she said...

"I want to say a proper goodbye to mother and father," Wendy said knowing how heartless it sounded. That really was the only reason she was here. "You won't see me again after today."

Her sister looked even more enraged. "You bastard."

They had no idea what Wendy went through, but at the same time Wendy understood her sister's anger. She left home and never kept in touch - she abandoned them to follow her dream that she gave up in the end.

Was it bad that the person who mattered to her first was Irene and not her own family?

 

Wendy visited the cemetery alone. She still had the funeral details from all those years ago, and it was how she had sent the flowers then. It was too quiet. the only thing that made it not scary was the beauitful blue sky above and a fresh breeze carrying the scent of flowers and grass all around. 

She brougth new flowers this time too, but it looked like the vases built into the grave were filled with flowers that were already dying. Wendy didn't want to disrespect whoever placed them there by replacing them with her new bunches so she laid her flowers at the base of the tombstone.

"Mom, dad. I'm sorry for all the trouble I caused. I hope you can rest in peace knowing that you were right and I was wrong.

I know I am not welcome back, but I need to at least send you off properly too. I missed the funeral because I was too ashamed to face everyone. I know what I did to you and Seohyun was wrong of me. 

If i hadn't left, maybe you'd both still be alive now. I wouldn't have gone astray and fallen in love..."

Wendy inhaled deeply and placed the flowers on the grave, realizing she must sound crazy right now if some other passersby happened to be around. I'm taling to dead people...

Love really does , Wendy realized.

She didn't feel any better after visiting the cemetery.

And she didn't feel any better after seeing her sister.

In fact, she felt worse and useless. I really , she thought as she walked alone in the city.

Wendy didn't want to admit how much she missed Irene, and how much she wished maybe she had not pursued the path she chose. maybe there would be no heartbreak, no pain, no btoken family.

She wondered what Irene might be doing right now, was the older woman possibly thinking of her at this moment?

She remained their kiss on the wedding night, and the kiss Irene gave her at their last meeting. Her forehead still tingled from the memory, and she suddenly felt so cold and isolated despite being in the middle of a city.

Wendy walked anywhere, not caring where the hell she was going and for how long she would be lost. She had her phone and enough cash for a taxi. Right now, she was trying to plan what to do next. She had already completed her mission here - to pay respects to her late parents, which proved not to help er feel better at all.

Moreover she was not wanted here, not like she was expecting any open arms anyway. 

There was no reason to stay, but she wasn't sure where to go next. Wendy did not sell her apartment and belongings back in Korea knowign what she was doing was on a whim. Going back there would be her fallback plan, but she didn't want to go back now. Luckily, the money she got from her internship and her side gigs was enough to sustain her for a good while without work for the next few months. But that was somethign she had to think about too since she gave up her full time job completely all for this reason.

--

"If there was any place you could be, where would you go?" Irene asked.

"Probably in bed, sleeping," Wendy replied, half joking but half serious because she was tired from work.

"No, I mean a place in the world other than your bed. Like a nature getaway, maybe traveling..." 

"I dunno, I don't really like moving around much."

Irene chuckled and pulled out her phone as if perusing travel locations. "I'd like to have a country house somewhere. A place just for myself to enjoy and let time pass slower."

"That sounds nice."

"You could come too and we could pass the days away there away from the world. You know? It sounds really relaxing right now actually..." Irene had a lot of clients lined up for the whole week and she hardly had a moment to take a break from photoshoots and working in her studio.

 

The conversation was early on in their relationship when Wendy's feelings towards teh older woman was just budding. She really did not have any ideal palce she'd want to be other than in her bed lounging or playing some game. 

That later changed because Wendy knew she would want to be anywehre Irene was. She preferred being with Irene than staying alone in her bed. 

She imagined that sharing a country home with Irene, having the world to themselves must be heaven.

--

2 year later...

Deft fingers danced over steel strings, the sweet sound of the guitar filling the quiet room melancholy yet comforting. 

They let the final note ring out before stopping the recording and listening back to the new loop. 

Wendy had found a way to independently work as a producer and musician rather than working under corporate. She liked the freedom to work on her own time and have more flexibility with her work. In turn, she was able to really work with artists. But mostly, she was producing her own stuff, which she didn't really have the chance to do when she was at the internship.

In addition to all this change, she also cut her once long hair. It was now shoulder length so it flew around when she shook her head. It was easier to upkeep than long hair.

She moved out of her old apartment, and relocated to Incheon. She was planning to move out soon, maybe to some place in Europe or the states - anywehre away from her home and this love pain that she was still having trouble dealing with.

She hadn't been back long. Maybe a few months. She went to see the world and tried to find a decent quiet country-like home - that still had internet beacuse she really coudln't live without it. At the time, she was picking up odd jobs and gigs to sustain herself in between trips. She went to France and had a good time exploring the place and trying some tasty pastries, and then she went to Town Square in New Yrok to marvel at the hustle bustle and eat at Shake Shack. She hopped between different European countries after that.

Traveling solo was the last thing she'd ever want to do but she decided it was time to move out of her bubble.

At least she had more stories to tell if there were anyone to tell them to.

Now she was building her brand, releasing her productions and also playing for people, which paid well. She had a lot of connections and one always led to another.

Wendy was even playing live gigs at the local bars this time. It was fun and it gave her something to do other than drink. She forgot what it felt like to enjoy music after years of sitting solo in a studio and staring at a screen.

This also got her a lot of attention from customers, who thought she looked cute and hot playing the guitar. It was a mix of young and old dudes, but strangely, other and older women.

Tonight, she was performing for an hour at the local bar in Incheon. Teh hum of socializing and drinks being made helped calm her senses so it didn't feel like a concert performance to be stressed about. Besides, everyone was slightly or real drunk so no one would really be paying attention. She was just a fly on the wall armed with a guitar.

"Hey there, cutie."

Wendy shut her guitar case and slung it on her shoulder before turning to see what fan she unintentionally attracted this time.

"I'm Tiffany. I enjoyed your playing."

"Thanks."

"Those fingers look pretty experienced." Tiffany grinned and winked at her.

Wendy didn't answer and shifted onto her other foot to indicate she was leaving. "Have a good night."

 

A few days later, Wendy recieved a request from a singer to collaborate with her. The request was very detailed as if they knew what Wendy was capable of. However, it was not for her production skills - it was for her to accompany Tiffany on guitar for a new single she was planning on releasing.

Why did that name sound so familiar?

Well, she could only stop and stare with horror and shock when she found herself facing the TIFFANY from the bar that night.

"Hi there,  cutie," Tiffany greeted her when she got to the studio. 

"How did you hear about me?" Wendy managed to regain her professional composure despite the surprise.

"Oh, the music world is a small one, dear. I found your website and took the liberty of booking you for myself." Tiffany leaned closer and whispered in her ear. "I know you can play."

Wendy was so glad no one else was here to witness this, but she wondered if Tiffany was this flirty with everyone.

"Well, what do you have in mind?" 

"Oh, i just want clean acoustic, clean vocals. Nothing fancy, nothing electric." Tiffany sat down dramatically in a chair and motioned for her with a sweep of her arm to sit across from her. "The music of the era is much too artificial."

"I was hoping you'd write one for me. My company writes the same thing in a different way, you know what I mean?" Tiffany said in a hushed voice. 

"Sure, I can do that. Tell me what you're thinking."

"I want you to write something introspective yet happy. Emtional but it doesn't sound sad, you just feel it from listening. Y'know?"

 

Wendy and Tiffany met up for a few more sessions, with Wendy showing the latter her draft of the lyrics and the melody itself. Tiffany's vocal range was pretty flexible and Wendy had to admit she had a great voice.

"You write like someone whose gone through a lot," Tiffany remarked at one of the sessions.

"Thanks, it comes with the package," Wendy replied as she finished notating something on her laptop. "I think - " 

Tiffany placed a gentle hand on her shoudler and had a wierd sympathetic smile. "I knew there was something different about you."

Wendy tried to play cool and simply shrugged it off as she continued her thought. Howev,er in the back of her mind, she could tell Tiffany was thinking something despite still being in work mode. She really didn't want to get in a tangled mess with other artists and decided once this project was over, she was packing up and never coming back here again.

 

When they were done drafting and recording at the studio, Tiffany suddenly called her back again. "I sheduled a photoshoot. I want you with me on the front cover." 

"Oh, you didn't have to. I'm totally fine, thanks though."

"No, I have to give credit where it's due. You're a big part of this song, and as your client- so to speak - i demand this." tiffany grinned and gave her a index card with the address. "Tomorrow noon. Wear something like you'd wear at the bar and bring your guitar. I look forward to it."

Wendy didn't feel comfortable, especially with knowing how fans could be these days. The possibly dating speculations might arise that would surely follow her. She liked not being in the limelight. She wanted her music in the spotlight, not her face or her body.

It looked like she didn't have a choice, and ultimately decided that people were oing to think whatever they wanted. This was just work, and she really had no interest in Tiffany, who was a little too touchy and flirty with her a lot of the time. 

Wendy could understand the allure of this woman. She had a smile that reached her eyes, and she looked like an idol. Any fan would fall for her looks and silent charm. Her singing voice was great and there was no reason she shoudl not be a famous singer. She was also very independent and strong, like some kind of unattainable power that can't be reached through a tv screen.

Anyway, Wendy hoped Tiffany would not try to be all flirty again today. She wore dark jeans and a black shirt, leaving the top button open so she wasn't choked up to the neck. Then, she picked up her guitar and drove off to the destination Tiffany gave her.

It was a place in the outskirts of the city, a slighlty more affordable space compared to the major areas. Wendy didn't mind. The scenery wasn't too bad and she hadn't been here before. An array of signs lined the curbs detailing when or where one should park. Once Wendy managed to find the loophole in the directions, she parked her car and walked down the street to a house.

Wendy carefully walked up the steps and rang the doorbell, and Tifany answered the door with a birght smile. "You're here!" she exclaimed and practically dragged her in. "The photographer is very beautiful but a little distant, so don't get too attracted to her yet."

What the hell? Wendy frowned but thought nothing of it since Tiffany could be a troll at times.

The only thing she wished Tiffany told her was who the photographer would be. Or maybe she shoudl have asked.

"She's here, we're ready fro the shoot!" Tiffany exclaimed when they stepped into what appeared to be a living room fashioned into a photo-shooting space.

Wendy's heart skipped a beat, and her breath choked when her eyes fell upon the person she hadn't seen for so long.

I...Irene...

The latter looked different than she last remembered. More tired and frail, her eyes were cold and dark, but still sharp enough that she wasn't dawdling around.

However, Irene gazed at her devoid of emotion and went back to getting the camera ready. "We'll do a few shots and you can decide waht you like. Since your theme is simple, we should keep it that way for the album cover."

 

Wendy did not like some of the poses she had to do with Tiffany. Anything where Tiffany touched her made her feel uncomfortable. Even just a hadn on the shoudler. She was practically tense and shivering with irene commanding her to relax.

How can I relax when Irene is standing in front of me?!

Finally, they took a few more shots and took a look at their options. Wendy personally preferred any shot where they weren't close, and gave respectful input of the one where she was sitting on a stool with her guitar, poised to play, and Tiffany leaned against a prop with a wistful expression to capture the emotion.

"This one's good," Irene chose the same one. She didn't even give any thought of the others.

At the end of their booking, Tiffany chatted a little more with Irene, seeming to try to use her charms to break that cold exterior. But Irene wasn't having any of it and seemed that she wanted to be alone.

Wendy wondered if Irene might be angry that she left without any warning. No goodbye or goodbye note.

"Thanks for your time!" Tiffany exclaimed. "My manager will handle the bill. I'll put in a good word for you."

"Don't worry about it," Irene replied. 

"I'm giving credit where it's due, Irene." She turned to Wendy expectantly as she was making a move to leave the house. "Coming, Wendy?" She glanced at Irene very briefly before smiling. "I was thinking lunch."

Wendy was very confused because she certainly was not expecting or planning ot eat with Tiffany. "No, sorry. I'm booked with other projects."

"Aww, next time then. See ya cutie."

 

Tiffany walked out, and Wendy was trying to collect her thoughts so she could say something meaningful to her old friend and love. She turned to Irene, open ready to say something, but Irene completely brushed past her like nothing.

"So, you were able to move on then?" Irene prompted while sitting down and working at the table.

"Irene, I'm not dating her .I'm not interested in her," Wendy said. "We're just collaborating."

"Mhm. She's obviously interested in you though. You should give it a chance." Irene clicked on a few things and looked up at her. "After all, it's not often you find someone who thinks you're worth their time."

Wendy wasn't sure why Irene was so bitter right now. Irene wa the one who told her to go! And she did as Irene asked, just like before. "Why are you getting mad at me?"

"I'm not."

"Then what's that supposed to mean?"

Irene seemed annoyed now and she sat back with her arms crossed. "You still haven't learned have you? You're still stuck in the past. We are not the same people anymore, Wendy." She shut her laptop loudly. "Things that were broken will never be completely restored. They will break again. Like a necklace chain. Just like us. Because of my choice, our relationship was broken terribly, and now it is impossible to make things like it was before."

Wendy couldn't believe her ears. Irene just wanted to throw everything away, and forget them. 

She wanted irene to know she still loved her. Things she did while they were apart, she did them for her own sake too, but with Irene in mind at times - things they would have wanted to do together.

"Do you really believe that?" Wendy challenged.

"..."

"You may be older than me, but I don't think you have the right to decide for me what I should be doing."

Irene didn't answer, but her eyes never left Wendy's, her dark eyes burning into her skin. "So what did you do then?"

"Travel, and think. I went to...visit my parents."

You're not heartless, Seungwan. You're afraid of the unknown...When you're ready let's go back together. You don't have to face them alone.

 

I did it without you.

 

"And why are you back?"

 

I'm still missing a big piece of my life.

How can you take my heart and throw it away?

 

"Irene why do you keep making everything so difficult?!" Wendy finally burst out. "Are you trying to make me suffer again?"

She knew how selfish it sounded, but she wished Irene wasn't being so aloof right now. Where was the warm and comforting person who used to be there for her. Where was Irene, independent and strong, yet graceful at teh same time?

"I know it's not right. I don't expect anything back from you because I did everything for your from my heart!" Wendy continued. "All you do is keep reeling me in only to throw me aside when you can't take it!"

Tears fell out much like the night of the wedding only there was no storm to conceal how she felt.

She hid her face in her sleeve, feeling ashsamed for this outburst. . 

"I'm sorry. I...I'll leave now," Wendy mumbled and bent ot pick up her things.

 

"I hurt you too many times, Seungwan. I would be taking advantage of your heart if you keep loving me like this."

--