-8-

Waste It On Me

"Irene, i just want to be with you."

"I know."

Wendy didn't understand how love could be so cruel. She coudln't understand how Irene could be so cruel. Empty words and plans that were said were all but a broken crystal ball. 

She didn't want to believe that this was going to be the last time she would see Irene. She could only stare in cold horror at the person in front of her she no longer knew, but also staring into her future that was cold and bleak.

Irene isn't going to be there with me.

Wendy didn't know how to accept that,  but she knew that it was the only thing she could do. There wasn't the warmth between them any longer. They were two strangers caught in a parallel yet unaligned world.

"I'm sorry, Seungwan," Irene said quietly. "Please...don't keep waiting for me."

"..."

"You put your family behind you when you came here," Irene continued. "You can do that with me too."

Wendy felt a surge of resentment because everyone seemed to always use that card against her, but she didn't want to get into an argument. She knew what she did when she walked out of her parents' home to come to Korea. Never in her life did she imagine that Irene would shove her off a cliff.

"Stop torturing yourself," Wendy said. 

"You don't understand, Seungwan!" Irene slammed a hand against the table. "Everything happened because of me! I have to take responsibility."

"responsibility for waht? For what Junmyeon did to you? For the way you were raised to think?" Wendy demanded.

Irene's jaw was tense as her eyes burned into Wendy's face. "You know this kind of relationship isn't ideal. Would you be able to face all the hate, do you think I would be able to handle alienation just for loving you?"

"You want to know what happened when you left?" Irene continued. "My parents were worried i was a lesbian,  and so they put me into conversion therapy. 

Seungwan, don't you see? This person before is not the strong independent woman from before. It was all just a show. Now it's just me, trying to live the right way.

And I can't do that with you in my life. Not now."

Wendy couldn't believe her ears. She felt guilt for leaving Irene, for not being there, but Irene was teh one who told her to leave. "I-Irene, there isn't a right way..."

Irene shook her head, her eyes distressed. "Seungwan, I just want to be alone now. Please go."

--

Wendy didn't feeel any better after the unexpected meeting with Irene. SHe had been hoping that maybe with time, Irene might be ready to try again, but it seemed that Irene was not going to try, not even to be friends again.

She knew where Irene lived. She could go back and try again, but that wasn't a good idea.

Wendy wasn't going to push her boundaries and so she decided it was time to pack up and leave. She found a nice quiet place near the countryside, away from the city, away from her old life. She planned ot move there permanently once she had enough savings to allow her to work from home wihtout having to come to the city.

For the next few weeks, she slowly began moving her things out to her country house.

When the final arrangements were made, Wendy packed the last of her things into her car, and shouldered her backpack before leaving her apartment forever.

She contemplated going out ot see Irene one last time, for a real goodby so that things don't end sourly every time. But she knew Irene wouldn't want to see her. What was she goign to expect?

The older woman had her mind made up.

And Wendy thought she herself had her mind made up similarly as well.

Still, after all this time, she could not let go. So Wendy decided to attempt to keep things open, she could let Irene know that there was still a chance to reconnect later if not now. 

Irene,

I hope this letter finds you. If so,I wanted to tell you that no matter waht happens, you are still an important person in my life.

I am trying to move on with life with the disappointment i left behind at home, and all the choices that led up to this moment. I ketp thinking ot myself, if I hadn't left, my parents would still be alive. If I hadn't let you marry Junmyeon, maybe  you would not be hurt, thinggs could carry on the same as before maybe without the dates.

Thinking like that won't change anything. I only know that I don't regret meeting you, and I will cherish the old times as something like a mystical dream-like chapter of my life. 

Someday, if you want to meet again, I will be here at this new home.

I am moving to the countryside, my address is enclosed at teh bottom of this page. I remember your wish to live peacefully in a countryhouse, and I decided that maybe living peacefully could serve as some from of comfort from all this.

Running away doesn't help, but maybe getting away from old skin paints it better.
 
Take care of yourself. No matter what you decide to do, I hope it will bring you happiness instead. You deserve that more than anything.
 
Farewell.
 
Love,
Son Seungwan
 
--.
 
few years later...

The summer had been way too hot and humid for Wendy's liking, and the summer storms made her skin crawl especially in the night. LIving alone in the countryside was a new experience for her. Atfirst, I was great surrounded by nothing but the natural elements. But as time went on, it made her feel very aware that she was alone. So she adopted a dog to keep her company, but then felt sad that her dog didn't have a pal so she adopted another dog to keep her dog company.
 
And then, a few months later from the second dog, she found a stray kitten in the fields and she brought it home to nurse and eventually keep to this current day.
 
Wendy felt liek she had her own family now. They spent their days together out together, lounging together, or pets lounging while she worked from home. As a music producer, she technically didn't need to meet anyone in person. Remote meetings were fine and she liked the freedom of working as she pleased without disruptions.
 
The only caveat of her home was that it was far from the shopping area so when she had to get groceries it was about an hour drive. That mde her decide to start growing her own vegetables to oave some time.
 
Her life had truly changed since moving out here, but at least it wasn't empty. Her days were occupied with gardening, work, and entertaining her animals. 
 
Joy would come every now and then if she wasn't busy workign at the studio or seeing her new boyfriend Seungjae, who had stopped by once. He didn't seem to like the place much since there wans't really anything entertaining to do, but Wendy didn't mind. She was happy to see her old pal, who would occasionally about mingling but never pressed much. Wendy eventually told her everythign that happened following the aftermath of that stupid wedding.
 
So Wendy still had friends and people to talk to. She had her pets to keep her company. She had a nice beautiful quiet palce to recover from what seemed like a long time ago...
 
These days the pain wasn't so difficult to handle. It didn't hurt her chest as much, and it didn't haunt her. The death of her parents didn't shame her so much. What happened was out of her control. And everything with Irene...
 
Wendy felt like she was finally moving on.
 
--
 
7 years later...
 
The fall season was exceptionally cooler much to Wendy's relief. The leaves were beginnign to change and the air fresher. This also meant that winter would arrive unfortunately. That season made her feel a little emptier these days since Christmases were spent alone - although Joy would show up at some point with a bottle of champagne and crazy presents to shock Wendy out of her abyss.
 
Today, Wendy sat on the porch strumming the guitar, while her dogs and cat were resting on the new porchswing she had ordered recently. It was supposed to be for her, but the animals seemed to have claimed their stakes on it, but she was happy they were enjoying the new furniture piece.
 
Wendy looked out towards the horizon as her fingers strummed. Other housholds in the distance were busy, farm owners and such were preparing for the season's crops before winter. 
 
How strange, she mused and leaned over her guitar. every year, it's the same order of business. But under all that, what kind of changes are hapenning underneath the habitual timeline?
 
At that moment, one of the dogs barked and Wendy looked up to find an unfamiliar car cruising slowly along the mainroaad. It stopped in front of her driveway before climbing up the incline.
 
Wendy frowned having had no warning of any visits from anyone. She squinted, trying to see who it was under the glare of the late afternoon glare.
 
The car stopped a few feet away, and the door swung open slowly.
 
Wendy could only stare as a woman concealed beneath sunglasses stepped out. Time had passed, but the familiarity was there. 
 
She set her guitar down and stood up to meet her, but when she blinked, no one was there.
 
Wendy looked back at the main road, the car was just disappearing into the distance. 
 
My mind is playing games on me. She picked up her instrument and whistled for her dogs to follow her back into the house. The cat stretched lazily and leapt over the threshold as well before she took one more glance out the door.
 
A little part of herself kept hoping, waiting - despite what was said in the letter that she was not waiting anymore. 
 
Another car was passing, but Wendy didn't want to keep playing these hopeless mindgames so she closed the door without a backward glance.
 
---END.