Two

Everything in Between

Inspired by Moonbyul’s radio show where they talked about her coming over to unclog Solar’s toilet. ------
 


  1.  

“Hello?” Byul murmurs sleepily into her phone.  Had she checked the time, she’d see it’s not even 4 in the morning yet.  The sun isn’t even preparing to rise yet. And she’s staying over at Wheein since they had a drinking party and she was too tired to go home. 

Normally, she would ignore the phone call, but the ringtone told her it’s from Yongsun, and against her will, her hand reached out to answer anyway.

“Byul-ah”

“Weh unnie?”

“Are you sleeping?” her unnie whispers through the line, 

She seriously just want to hang up and go back to sleep, “No, I’m playing games” she said sarcastically, or as sarcastically as possible when you're 75% of the way in sleep. 

“Oh great, then can you come help?”

“.... i was joking”

“Please Byul? 

Byul sighs, and slowly got up, knowing that even if she hangs up now, she still won't be able to go to sleep without first helping her unnie, “fine fine, I’m coming. What happened anyway?”

“My oven is not working.”

Wheein opens her eyes after hearing Byul left and snorts into her pillow.  These unnies.

 

    2.

Byul doesn’t mind helping Yongsun unnie with fixing things.  She likes gadgets and fixing things.  She always loved legos growing up, and she had entertained the thought of being an engineer as a kid. So no, she doesn’t mind.  But sometimes, she really hates herself for being so weak whenever Yongsun asks for help.  A no, or even a I'm busy i’ll do it tomorrow will work, but nope. Curse her heart. Case in point, right now. 

She’s hanging out with the 6 puzzle crew from Queendom.  They decided to meet up and get to know each other and talk about the performance.

They’re all having fun and enjoying themselves when Yongsun called.

Byul quietly apologize to the girls and answered the phone, 

“Unnie?”

“I need your help Byul”

“Weh? What’s going on?”

“My toilet is not working”

“The toilet? What’s wrong with it?”

“Yeah, and i don't know, it just wont flush, like water goes in when i press the button  and it doesn't flush out... Are you busy?”

“Uh,” Byul glanced at the girls, who all looked away and pretended to not be eavesdropping, “kind of?”

“Oh..can you come over after then?” 

She sigh, knowing she won’t be able to focus and enjoy herself knowing Yongsun Unnie is waiting for her to come help, “Okay unnie, i’m coming now, don’t try to flush again, use the other one.”

“You sure? Just come later,”

“No, I don't want you to wait. I’ll be there in about 30 minutes.”

She hung up and looks apologetically at the girls, “Sorry girls, i have to go,”

Chanmi, one of the girl from the group, voiced the question in everyone’s head, “Are you...leaving to go...unclog a toilet??”

Byul nods, “Yeah Yongsun unnie’s toilet is not working so I’m gonna head there and help. You know how it is” Byul shrug and wave them goodbye.

They all glanced at each other as she left. No, they don't know how it is. What.

 

    3.

Really, she should learn how to say no because this is getting crazy.  She’s recording in the studio for her solo album when she got the call.  At first, she ignored it, needing to focus on recording.  But after the 3rd time, she had to pick up or turn the phone off before her CEO/producer killed her.

“Unnie, what is it?”

“Are you busy?”

“I’m recording right now,”

“Oh...when are you done?”

“I’m not sure, why? What’s going on?”

“I’m trying to film but my computer won’t turn on.”

“...hold on a minute unnie” She puts the call on hold and look to her CEO.

Do-Hoon looks at her and quirk an eyebrow, even though he’s pretty sure he can guess from the one side conversation he heard, 

“It’s Yongsun-unnie, her computer is not turning on,”

He nods and before she can continues he let her go, “Go on, you don’t be able to focus now anyway.  Come in early tomorrow.”

“Deh, thank you,” she gather her stuff and walked out, 

Picking up the call again, she notify Yongsun,  “I’ll be there in 15 unnie,” 

Do-hoon can only shake his head in amusement.  Idiots. Both of them.

 

    4. 

Sometimes, Yongsun calls when she’s out with her family. She loves her family.  They’re probably the only people she would say no for, if Yongsun asks her to come, because she wants to spend time with her family. Unfortunately for her, her family all loves Yongsun. Well, most of them, 3/4.. Her mom loves Wheein the most, then Yongsun.

So, they’re currently in Seoul for the week and she decided to take her family out for some dinner. She loves her mom’s home cooking but she wants to treat them out too.  What kind of daughter would she be if she didn’t take them out at least once.

They’re all having fun, laughing and catching up, eating some good food, when her phone rang.

She didn’t pick up, wanting to spend time with her family.

Unfortunately, her family knows that ringtone.

“It’s Yongsun, aren’t you going to pick it up?” her appa asks.

“Ah, no,”

“What if it’s an emergency unnie?” her youngest sister asks, 

“I’m sure it’s fine, lets just enjoy the night out everyone,”

“What if she needs your help unnie?” her other sister asks, 

“I can always help her later,”

Her dad shook his head, “Just pick up Byul-yi,”

She sigh and answered the phone, “Hi unnie,”

“Byul-ah! Oh thank god you picked it up! I need your help!”

Her sister, sitting right next to her, heard Yongsun side of the convo and looks at Byul as if to say “told you so” 

“Weh unnie, what’s wrong?”

“My refrigerator is broken!  It’s not cold!  All my ice cream melted!!” 

“Okay, do you have a cooler? You can go get some bags of ice, and use a cooler for now.  I’ll swing by later.”

“Later?  Are you busy now?”

“I’m with - “ 

At the moment, her dad took the phone from her grasp.  She didn’t even notice her eavesdropping sister was telling their dad everything Yongsun been saying, 

“Yongsun-ah, it’s Byul-yi’s appa.  She’ll come now and will help you, for now, just put all you can in a cooler. And throw away all perishables.”

“Oh! Hello sir! Oh no no no, I don't mean to interrupt.  Please, enjoy your night, i’ll call someone else,”

Byul mom took the phone from her husband, “Don't be silly Yongsun, Byul-yi can help you, no need to call someone else. She's about to leave right now.”

Her mom the phone back to her daughter with a glare, as if daring her to contradict.

Byul deeply breathe, can’t believe her own family is kicking her off, “Deh unnie, i’m on my way now.  I’ll get some ice while I'm at it.” 

Her family high five as she ran off to help her Unnie. 

 

    5. 

Sometimes, Yongsun doesn’t even ask. Actually, it always happens whenever she’s hanging out with Da-Hee unnie for some reason.  Hyejin and Wheein laughed at her when she complained about it to them. Heck, even Da-Hee seems to be in on the joke? 

She was enjoying her lunch with Da-Hee. The two finally got the chance to meet up after a busy few months. They were catching up with each other when her phone beeps the familiar sound that accompanies Yongsun’s text.  

She opted to ignore it this time, but De-Hee noticed, “Youngsun texted, you aren’t going to check?”

Byul shook her head, “I’ll check after,”

Dahee smiles a smile that makes Byul feel dumb, like she’s missing something, “it’s fine Byul-yi, check the message before she’s mad.” 

“But i’m with you” she whines, already, somehow, knowing that she’ll be pulled away.

“We can hang out some other time, all three of us, now check your phone,” 

“Fine,” Byul opens her phone to see a message: “Byul-ah, the light is not turning on.  Come quick.”

“What is it?” De-Hee asks, already packing up Byul’s lunch for her, knowing whatever it is, Byul is about to leave.

“Her light broke, sorry unnie, I have to go..”

“It’s fine Byul-yi, do help her.  We’ll meet some other time,” 

“But we barely got to meet now,” 

“Hey, I just finished my drama, I have lots of free time now.”

“Okay, i’ll text you later and sorry about this!” Byul took her left over and ran off, leaving De-Hee alone.  

Da-hee texted her manager: “can you come pick me up?”

“...let me guess, Yongsun?”

“One day, those two will figure it out.”

 

      6. 

Now, for all her skills, one thing Yongsun cannot do is fix technology and home appliances. She’s horrible at it. Absolutely horrible. So imagine her joy when Moon Byul Yi came into her life.  Her best friend, and personal appliance fixer.

Everytime something happens that needs fixing, she calls Byul-yi, knowing the younger girl will come.

And that’s normal.  That's what friends do right?  Help each other?  So she doesn't get why, whenever she tells people this, they give her this weird look. Like how when she told So-Dam that Byul-yi came to fix her oven at 4 in the morning, So-Dam looks at her and she feels like she’s missing something. Like they all know something she doesn’t.

But anyway, this only pertains to fixing things.  Because she can totally build things.  Like this table from Ikea. it’s just a small floor table.  4 legs and a square board on top, that’s it. A simple table. 

And, okay, maybe she did get confused because why are there so many screws and nails?? Why are there 6 sticks instead of 4?  She doesn't know but she’s not giving up.  Byul-yi is a fixer, not builder, but she, Kim Yong Sun, will build this table. And she will finish before Byul comes over for dinner! 

After a few agonizing hours, she stood up, proud of her work.  And just in time too as she hears Byul walks through the door.

“Unnie!  I brought your favorite!” 

“Byul-ah! Just in time, I just finished!”

“Finish ...what?” Byul trails off as she looks upon the thing in front of her.

“Unnie, what is that?” 

“Yah, it’s a table!” Yongsun bend down and starts to clean up around the area, 

She heard Byul's deep intake of breath and the slow release.  She then heard rustling in the kitchen before she felt hands on her shoulder, 

“Unnie,” Byul said, turning her around so that they’re face to face, “You’re a great person unnie.  You can do so much.  You have lots of skills. But unnie, you can’t just DUCT TAPE A TABLE TOGETHER!” 

“Yah! I worked hard on this! It took me hours!” 

“And WHY are there two legs sticking up?? A table have four legs UNDERNEATH!! THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY LEGS STICKING UP”

“It’s so you can flip it upside down and use the other side as well!” 

Byul sighs, “unnie...”

Yongsun pout, “I always call you over to fix things, but this isn’t fixing, it’s building and I didn’t want to bother you.”

Byul laughs and pinch her cheek,  “Yeba, I love helping you.  Next time, just call me okay? Now go eat before your food gets cold, I'll rebuild this table.”

She pushes Yongsun to the kitchen as she turns to the duct tape...contraption.. And got to work.

Yongsun brough the box to the living room with her and sat down next to Byul. She took a bite then shoved a piece in front of Byul.  The yonger girl automatically opens for the food. 

Yongsun has no idea why her friends look at her like she's crazy. 

She feeds the younger girl another piece as Byul starts to drill into one of the legs. Byul looks up and smiles at her before looking back down at her work.

No, there’s nothing crazy about this.  

This is just right.