Sequel - Chp 1

The Way That I Love You

 

 

Author’s recommendation: Listen to Ed Sheeran’s Happier while reading this (just because I think the mood will fit)

 

4 years.

 

It takes me this much time, before I had the gut to return to this land. My land. Our land.

 

1440 nights.

 

192 weeks.

 

48 months.

 

4 years.

 

I am now done running away. I guess?

 

Sighing, I put my Blanc & Eclare Venice Sunglasses on. I then turn to both left and right before lifting my left hand up, hailing the airport’s taxi when I saw one.

 

“Yongsan-gu, please,” I say once I am settled at the backseat.

 

I lean the side of my forehead against the window and keep my gaze outside. Nothing much has change, or maybe, some things dif change. I just forgot how it used to be before I left.

 

“Nothing much has change it seems,” I said, slightly above my breath. But the words still manage to reach the driver’s ears.

 

“How long have you been abroad?” He ask, eyes not leaving the road.

 

“4 years,”

 

“So many things have changed, ahgassi,” he answers. I can see him glancing at me through his rear view mirror.

 

“Really?”

 

“Of course, this is Korea we are talking about. Nothing stay the same for that long,” he said with so much pride.

 

“We got new President recently, the law is evolving, old neighborhoods are being demolished to give way to the new ones and new buildings keep appearing.

 

Do you see that park? That building? This road? These are all new,”

 

His speech about the changes that happened in Korea did not stop there. However, I definitely stopped listening nor paying attention.

 

I keep my gaze back to the outside as one thought, question actually, comes to my mind.

 

If so many things are changing, what about her?

 

“Ahjussi, please wake me up when we are there,”

 

I do not wait for his reply before I shut my eyes and let myself fall into a deep slumber, with her smiling face being the last image that I see.

 

 

 

Change of POV

 

“And that is the last for today,” I said, grinning as I close the refrigerator’s door.

 

Feeling quite lethargic after the early morning grocery shopping, I walk, or more like drag my legs to the living room and carelessly throw myself onto the three-seat sofa, resting my head on the armrest.

 

I remember that day when we went to IKEA to shop for this sofa. And of course, I remember the reason why you specifically chose this one, albeit the price.

 

We have to buy one that can fit you, because you are so going to spend many nights sleeping on this.

 

I remember laughing to that, because I know, you won’t even let me sacrifice my back on this sofa. You would rather us to cramp together on your single bed instead.

 

And just like most of the times, I was proven to be right. I have spent almost not one night on this sofa, unless if we count the nights that we fell asleep cuddling on this sofa in.

 

I look at our picture hanging against the other wall, next to your bedroom’s door.

 

Unlike the one that is above your TV, you were the one whispering in that picture while I was the one with a wide smile tugging on my lips, nose muscles all scrunched up. I looked happier then, I do.

 

But, where does everything go wrong?

 

Was it the night before you left to NZ? When we cuddled and fell asleep on this sofa.

 

Was it when I can’t say “I love you” back before you walked pass the immigration gate?

 

Because right now I am all alone in your empty room, looking at our picture.

 

Because right now I am all alone in your empty room, trapped in the memory of us and I miss you.

 

A drop of tears drop from the corner of my eyes before I wipe it away with the tips of my fingers.

 

I was about to indulge more into the feeling of melancholy before a series of beeping sound caught mu attention. Pushing my back off the sofa, I sit up straight.

 

Just in time for the handle of the door to move downwards and the door is being pushed from the outside.

 

My heart thuds in anticipation, having a hunch on who the visitor might be.

 

The door widen and a figure, a woman, walk in.

 

Our eyes met, both mirroring the same reaction.

 

 

 

Have decided to turn this into a series, but not yet sure how many chapter this is going to have. Here’s an early update for y’all.

 

Please do subscribe and upvote (if you haven’t) and do leave comments down below to keep my spirit up and for me to improve my writing. Thank you.