1. Breaking news

Never Wrong, Different Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

1

Breaking news 


 

Seulgi heard her colleagues went on labelling the people, coming in and out of the shop, across the street, from the conference room she sat in. Bored to the point of self-immolation, Seulgi looked around, catching her reflection in the adjoining glass window.

 

She addressed the empty conference room. 'Laddies and gentalman, for all those who don’t know... my stats are 2666-96. Woman of 26, with the thinking  of 66 and living as if she’s 96.’ Her voice dropping a few notches, Seulgi whispered the announcement, ‘Me whela and my life—’

 

Whatever Seulgi as about to say, hovered incomplete, as a girl, a few years younger than she was, entered the room. Reading off her cell, Yerim, gushed, ‘Seulgi, did you hear? Park Chanyeol  is coming to town!’ 


Let me rephrase – my life and me are now officially and royally screwed! Seulgi panicked. The pencil slid from her hand, clattering onto the patterned mosaic floor. Immediately bending to retrieve it, Seulgi  let her long, black locks hide her distressed face – just enough time to reboot her expression.

 
‘The international success story, is actually going to breathe the same air... as us?’ Jaehyun droned, strolling in behind Yerim. His eyes, unlike his voice, not totally disinterested. Who could blame him? Not every day did a bigwig of that proportion visit the town. 


'Not to forget his dishy looks... ooh! I could have him for just about every meal of my entire mortal life.’ Coming in behind Jaehyun, Sooyoung simpered, fluttering her eyelashes. An effort totally wasted because of the perpetual no-nonsense shape of , further intensified by a makeup-free face.

 

The other person, amidst them (remember the girl who dropped the pencil), heard the ongoing conversation with something akin to shock. What interest now, could this place be to him? Seulgi wondered. 


‘People and the cars of this city need a better life, big time!’ In the past, the heir apparent to the Park business empire, had griped often enough to her.

 
Seulgi’s conscience, or whatever that loud thing sitting inside her was, niggled, ‘You very well know, why he’s coming back! For revenge munchkins, and all of it from you... hahaha!’  Yup! Seulgi’s conscience came with, tailor-made staccato evil laughs, among other unbelievable features and upgrades.

 

‘Sooyoung , take those damn ipod thingies out of your head. One would think you were born with it. Yerim, please stop messaging. I am sure you’ve texted half of the country by now,’ Seulgi rebuked.

 

‘Nah! Only half of the office!’ Yerim replied, her tone, just like her face – impish.

 

Seulgi shook her head. Her young face seemingly composed in front of the even younger designing team. ‘Enough guys! Can we get some work done here?’

 

‘Seulgi this is big, it’s huge! Who knows? One of us may actually snare the country’s most eligible bachelor,’ Yerim said, with dilated eyes. ‘I can see my favourite Mills & Boon coming to life in front of me. In which...’

 

‘In which, the girl kills the rich guy, gets all his money and then marries his best friend, only to find out the best friend is actually a woman, who has a change,’ Sooyoung  teased.

 

Yerim made a face at her. ‘Very funny! As I was saying, my favourite kind of M&B is the one where, celebrity-meets-an-undiscovered-stunner-and-falls-head-and-vast material possessions intact-in-love-with-her. With, me essaying the role of the undiscovered stunner,’ Yerim said.

 

‘Forget it! Park Chanyeol plays in a different league altogether. Regular girls like us could be a part of the toilet roll for all he cares, right Seulgi?’ Sooyoung  glanced at her for support.

 

‘Wrong, completely wrong! That is not at all true.’ Seulgi wanted to say. However, she concurred, dully, ‘Of course! Chanyeol wouldn’t notice us even if we stood stark .’

 

‘I would!’ Jaehyun leered, mockingly. Instantaneously a few paper clips, launched by the women hit him smack on the face.

 

‘You would what?’ inquired a girl close to Seulgi's age, as she shouldered the door open, her hands laden with books and files.

 

Seulgi hustled to her feet to help her peer manager, best friend and self-imposed guardianangel, since high school, Bae Joohyun or Kim Joohyun now. In school, Joohyun had once saved Seulgi from the bullies and after that, she had vowed to protect Seulgi for life; from everyone and everything—except herself.

 

Yerim quickly filled her in. ‘Joohyun , guess what? Park Chanyeol is coming back.’

 

‘I know,’ Joohyun replied, casually, offloading some of her burden in her friend’s arms.

 

Seulgi’s pretty mouth fell open. The files in her hand nearly met the pencil’s fate... nearly. ‘You know?’ Her tone and eyes were condemning.

 

‘Ya! Min (short for Mins

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter