What's that meow?

The Cat's Meow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
It did not take but mere minutes to reach my apartment. Now the trick would be juggling everything to take in and not get even more wet. The only good thing to come of a wet, dreary night was rescuing this orangish-yellowish feline named Xiumin. I guess he would be considered a ginger tiger from what I could see. Most likely he was the neighborhood tom cat out on his nightly prowl when he had the misfortune of dashing in front of my car. Poor kitty, he might just get smothered in my unwanted love tonight as long as he did not have fleas and didn't fight too much.  Just before I was to decide upon making two trips or foolishly ask the cat if he wouldn't mind walking himself up to my fourth floor apartment, kitty...umm..Xiumin hopped into the empty basket I had used for muffins earlier. "Oh kitty!! You are a genius!! Now I won't have to make an extra trip back. Let me get my bag and umbrella and up we shall go. Please hold still too. I don't want to drop you."  And kitty did hold still while I got us inside the lobby and to the elevators.  "Ok Xiumin, I hope you do not freak out on elevators."  At that moment the cat looked up at me with an expression that seemed to say, "Really, lady?"  I might have giggled again. I hoped I was not making a bad impression on my new friend. It all just struck me as funny so I started to laugh. Realizing that it might sound crazy I quickly told kitty Xiumin that I had an emotional day and my laughter meant to let out stress. It was by no means a tell that his new friend was a bit touched as they might say.  He just looked up at from the basket and I was not sure but if a cat could smirk that would be exactly what he was doing right at that minute.

 

The elevator stopped at my floor and the doors dinged as they opened. I proceeded toward my apartment.  I had found out upon moving in that the fourth floor contained the more luxurious apartments that were repeated on the ninth and tenth floors, which were the top two. The owners had planned it that way because they were partial to the number 4. I also found out that an older lady was my neighbor to the right while the left side apartment was still vacant. My elderly neighbor was a Mrs. Kim and she happened to be the grandmother of a university friend named Junmyeon.  I laughed quite a bit when I found out because it happened to be a day when he had visited his grandmother and took her to a hair appointment. It was rather adorable.  After discovering our mutual friendship relationship, I had told Junmyeon that I would watch over grandma when I could. She was quite a hoot anyways and all her stories about her grandson were funny. Two weeks ago I had been invited for dinner with Mrs. Kim, Junmyeon and his long time girlfriend Irene. Irene was a very quiet woman that met Junmyeon in his third year of university, both were in business management like I was. They were just two years ahead.  I was doing a double major of accounting and management, so my school days were long and taxing, pun included. After the couple graduated I still had almost two and a half years to go. It had been lonely without my two friends but we texted and emailed so I felt not quite so by myself. 

 

As I approached my door, Xiumin wiggled a bit in the basket.  Just then Mrs. Kim opened her door and immediately trained her eyes upon Xiumin, "What have you got there, my dear?" "Hello Mrs. Kim. This fellow is Xiumin. I almost hit the poor guy coming home tonight because of this dreadful rain. He is lucky or not depending if he is finicky that I decided to bring him home with me until I can find his owner." "Hmmmm. He looks very lucky indeed to have crossed your path, my dear. If you are not careful you may be unlucky. If I remember correctly you said you preferred dogs to cats, even though we cannot have dogs here.  Why would you bring in a stray tom cat?" "While you remember correctly I couldn't leave him outside in such a night. Poor pitiful kitty.  I almost hit him and probably scared one of his nine lives out of him!" I lamented to my neighbor as she continued to side eye the kitty in the basket. "That one has several lives yet to use up and if he knows what is good for him He better behave himself around you." I felt like Mrs. Kim was threatening Xiumin a little, so odd. "Do you recognize Xiumin, Mrs. Kim?" Just then kitty let out a loud yowl that startled me. "Oh dear! That sounds like a demand for food, I better take him in. Goodnight Mrs. Kim." "Goodnight Emmy dear. Night Xiumin." I unlocked my door and went in. Xiumin immediately hopped out and headed into the apartment. "That was odd. I wonder if Mrs. Kim knows who you belong to kitty. Give me a moment and I will get you something to eat. I might have some fish left over in the fridge." I proceeded to kick off my shoes and place them by the door then hung up my umbrella.  Taking my bag and basket to the dining room table then heading to the kitchen, I looked to see where my furry friend might have headed. Obviously no where that I could see. The fridge showed no fishy leftovers but the pantry revealed a couple cans of salmon I had not used so I hoped he would like that since I didn't have anything else I thought a cat might enjoy. After opening and emptying the contents on a plate, I set the food on the floor by the kitchen island. That was followed by a bowl of water. I then called out that dinner was ready. When Xiumin did not come running I decided it was up to him to eat when he wanted. I headed for my room and a quick shower to warm up. I took off my blazer and hung it up in the closet then my matching skirt. I then took off my pantyhose, what a constricting invention! I had just turned around to head over to my dresser to grab my p.j.s when a flash of light caught my attention. I found Xiumin had made himself comfortable on my bed and he was watching every move I made. The dim night time light from my window had reflected off his eyes as he watched me. I decided that a cat judging me was not as painful as the rest of the day had been so I took off my blouse and put it in the hamper to be washed, grabbed my pajamas and headed toward the bathroom. I the water to heat up for a quick shower then proceeded to rid myself of my bra and . Nothing fancy, just practical underwear with cute daisies on them. Just before getting into the shower the bathroom door opened a little and a ginger tiger waltzed in staring straight at me.  " I once read something funny that said a dog will look at you while you are and think that you are the most beautiful person ever while a cat looks at you and thinks, 'Meh I've seen better.' Is that what you are doing right now kitty? I know I have some weight to lose. Hmmm maybe you should go find your supper before judging so harshly." With that I stepped into the shower.

 

The warm water felt good and did it's best to wash away the stress of the day. I decided to wash my hair while I was it and finished by lathering myself in my favorite cotton blossom body wash.  I reached out for a towel after turning off the water, quickly dried myself then stepped out.  I had read before to apply moisturizer after leaving a bath and that had always done right by me in the past so I continued the practice. As I wrapped my damp hair in another towel I started to put my nighttime clothes on. That was when I noticed my used were not where I was sure I put them. A quick search did not reveal their location so I went out into my bedroom. I went toward the door and the overhead light so I could see better in my search. Nothing. There was nothing out of place in my room. Where the heck could those be? Since I was tired I decided to just let them show up on their own.  Leaving my room I headed for the kitchen in hopes that dinner would magically appear as well. I could see Xiumin finishing up his salmon as I walked in. "Good kitty, eat it all." A quick search in the refrigerator told me that I needed to go shopping as soon as possible. Tonight's menu would have to be celery stalks and carrots with a side of peanut butter. Grabbing that and a pink grapefruit ice drink, I headed toward the living room to look for a televised distraction. I finally stopped on a Hallmark movie where the ending was always sappy and predictable but enjoyable. This one had a fireman, a veterinarian student and a couple of cats in it, quite appropriate considering the current events. I ate more carrots than celery then pulled my lap blanket up more to recline on the sofa. Just as I rolled on my side to watch t.v. Xiumin jumped up and settled himself on my left hip. "Comfy?" A blinking of eyes and a stretched out paw seemed to say yes to my question so I went back to the love story being told on the screen. Soon enough I could hear a small purr coming from my new friend, it helped settle my thoughts so I reached out a hand to soft fur. I soon fell asleep.

 

When I woke up I was no longer on the sofa but in my own comfy bed with the comforter pulled up and a weight on my chest. That weight turned out to be Xiumin and he was staring back at me with a low purr coming from him.  "Anchoring me down kitty?  I usually sleep on my side so if I snore it is your fault.  What a funny kitty you are. I thought cats took a while to become comfortable in a new situation. Are you comfortable already Xiumin?" A paw snuck out from underneath him and almost touched my chin. "What a sweet kitty. I better set my alarm so I make it to work on time, looks like I can get a little more shut eye. Let's cuddle up kitty, that ok w
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter