Nine

Your Voice Did Reach My Heart

CHAPTER 9

 

 

“Dad!” Bora called, jogging towards her father.

 

 

“Bora,” Her father greeted and meet her, wrapping her in an embrace. “How are you? How’s your leg?”

 

 

“It’s fine now...” Bora assured. “Siyeon here helped me.”

 

 

Mr. Kim looked behind her daughter and saw a woman wearing a white shirt and jeans, smiling and bowed to him. He let out a thrift smile staring at Siyeon and decided to part Bora and his body.

 

 

“Oh,” Bora peeked behind her father. “Gahyeon, you’re here too... That means...”

 

 

“I closed the clinic for a while. For at least a week.” Mr. Kim informed. “We’re here for vacation.”

 

 

“What about your patients?”

 

 

“I told them in advance and there were signs outside the clinics.” Mr. Kim informed as he anchors his bag to his shoulder.

 

 

“Let me get it for you,” Dami suddenly spoke and get Bora’s secretary’s—Gahyeon’s— bag after Mr. Kim denied her offer.

 

 

Gahyeon was about to decline but Dami’s swift and get to the auto-rickshaw. Everyone on the platform was dumbfounded because of Dami’s cunning behavior.

 

 

“I’m sorry about that,” Siyeon nervously laugh. “She’s a little grumpy today.”

 

 

Mr. Kim chuckles and Gahyeon just nodded, still watching Dami place their things inside the small vehicle.

 

 

“Two needs to walk,” Dami said, looking at Bora and Siyeon.

 

 

“I can,” Siyeon raised her hand and look at Bora. “But I don’t think she—”

 

 

“I will walk,” Bora cut.

 

 

“Bu—” Even her father disagreed but was once again cut by Bora.

 

 

“I really can. Look.” Bora jumped around which made Siyeon flinch.

 

 

“Okay, okay. Stop now before you get hurt again.” Mr. Kim sigh. “Take care of her, Siyeon.”

 

 

“Yes, sir...” Siyeon hesitantly nodded, the trust put on her somehow made her proud.

 

 

Dami, Gahyeon, and Mr. Kim went ahead with the vehicle, Bora and Siyeon staying behind and see them off. When there are only the two of them, Bora gets in front of the stunned Siyeon.

 

 

“Let’s go?” Bora asked, looking at Siyeon’s face.

 

 

“Yeah,” Siyeon agreed and follow Bora.

 

 

The rustling of tall weeds swaying with the wind and their shoes hitting the dirt road is in between them. Both savoring the peacefulness of the little town they’re in.

 

 

Bora’s raven locks sways with the wind, giving her comfort. She hummed as she felt joyous for these little things, enjoying herself as she looks around. She started humming, making the woman beside her glance at her and smile. Bora was busy looking around that she didn’t notice the small pit on the road that’s why Siyeon pulled her by the waist before she gains another injury. She blushed and bite her lips, pulling away from Siyeon who’s looking at her with concern.

 

 

“Thank you...” Siyeon disappointingly sighs. “What?”

 

 

Siyeon looked down and once again sigh, gathering some courage.

 

 

“Hold my hand,” Siyeon demanded. “You tend to drift too far when you get immersed in something. That’s why...”

 

 

Siyeon looked at Bora’s reaction and immediately removed her gaze when she noticed that the latter is blushing, and she too felt her face heat up. She heard Bora let out a huge sigh, now feeling the palm of the smaller woman on hers. Bora locked their hands together and move ahead. Siyeon let her body be guided by Bora, not expecting that the latter will agree to her sudden demand. She was supposed to be the one guiding Bora though that’s why she decided to match her pace which certainly became tense now.

 

 

It was a couple of minutes before once Bora returned to her calm state and is once again immersed in her world. Siyeon held on to her slipping hand, afraid that Bora might fall. She’s glancing at Bora from time to time and paying attention to the path they’re walking. The smaller woman’s hand kept slipping away and they had few stops because Bora kept observing something.

 

 

“We’re near the market, right?” Bora asked, not looking at her.

 

 

“Yeah,” Siyeon nodded and looked at what Bora kept looking. “!”

 

 

Siyeon slowly moved away, tugging Bora away.

 

 

“We should hurry,” Bora said and run, unclasping their hands.

 

 

Siyeon felt her heart drop a little with Bora’s action but she didn’t think about it too much thus just followed Bora. When they reached the market, the smaller woman immediately got to a couple of men explaining the situation.

 

 

“There was a python, six feet in length just down the road,” Bora informed. “You should capture it before someone get in danger. But don’t kill it, please.”

 

 

Some people stiffened by what she said but others immediately get tools to capture the large snake. Bora led the group and was able to quickly find the python loose on the grass field. Once captured she made sure to secure the cage so it can’t get out nor a person can easily remove it.

 

 

Everything unfolded right in front of Siyeon’s eyes. Those determined eyes, clean instructions, and the focused demeanor of Bora made her flutter. It was the first time she saw Bora being decisive as if her life depended on it. Is she always like this when she’s at work? Siyeon thought to herself and was disappointed that she never saw Bora in her work field. It feels so strange that she finds this side of Bora attractive, yet the jittering of her heart is more than enough to know that she’s fond of the latter.

 

 

She was far from the men and Bora who captured the large snake, but she can say that Bora’s professionalism is top-tier by the way she converses with the men around her. Holding her chest, she felt her heart beating too fast when she saw Bora walking towards her. Siyeon felt nervous, her breath hitching as soon as their eyes met.

 

 

“I told them to bring the python to grandma's. I hope she doesn’t mind for a while,” Bora spoke while looking at her shoes covered in mud. “We should go,”

 

 

“Y-yeah…” Siyeon agreed.

 

 

“Are you okay? You’re red.” Bora placed her palm to Siyeon’s forehead. “Did you got scared of the snake? Well, it’s large so I don’t blame you.”

 

 

“No way…” She argued, removing Bora's hand away from her. “We should go.”

 

 

Bora sneered and just get going, getting ahead of Siyeon. She follows, still holding her chest as she watches the smaller woman with admiration.

 

 

When they arrived, they saw Dami crouching down beside the auto-rickshaw and mumbling. The latter aggressively pulling her hair as she mumbles.

 

 

“What happened?” Bora asked as she looked at the vehicle.

 

 

“Dead,” Dami said. “It gave up on me...”

 

 

Bora nodded and glance at Dami who was crying. Certainly, that shocked Bora that’s why she immediately helps Dami up and hugged her. She heard her sob which made her eyes widened, not believing that Dami can be this emotional just by a vehicle. As she consoled her, she saw Siyeon moving towards the engine, mouthing ‘fried’ to her. Bora decided to move Dami to her room, the latter still crying. Entering the house, they saw her grandma together with her father and secretary, her father giving her an apologetic look and her grandma was just plainly looking concerned for Dami. She got her to her room and decided to leave her for a while as she knows she can’t console Dami.

 

 

“Dami is a bit… emotional when it comes to her things,” Siyeon suddenly whispered when they go downstairs.

 

 

They go straight to the kitchen and prepared some food for their guest. Siyeon continuing her story. It was about Dami’s past that she reacts like that whenever something important to her broke or just generally died. She was not an open book, which everyone knew and her past is only known to those who witnessed it.

 

 

Dami only had her father, and she never knew that his father was sick until too late. She was a clueless child when her father died and didn’t understand the concept of life being taken away. She was too young to understand what happened until she hit her teens where their grandmother—who adopted her—explained to her what happened. She was rebellious at first, it didn’t last but along her life it made sense. Yubin—the name given to her by her mother—has no place in her heart, thus use Dami. It is the name her father wanted to give her when she was born. Ever since then, she felt so strongly about everything she deemed important and scared because they might get taken away so suddenly.

 

 

Both remain silent for a while because of the heavy atmosphere that sets in. The knife hitting the chopping board was the only sound in between them as they finished preparing.

 

 

“How did you know it?” Bora asked suddenly.

 

 

She might have just skipped a step getting to know Siyeon when she asked that. The latter chuckles.

 

 

“Because I’m there…” Siyeon said. “And I’m the same.”

 

 

The continuation of her words was a whisper, which Bora caught and move closer to Siyeon. Bora patted the latter’s head which surprised and confused her.

 

 

“W-what are you doing?” Siyeon shyly asked as she moved towards the stove and checks the meal.

 

 

“Consoling you...” Bora monotonously spoke. “I’m trying to console you.”

 

 

Siyeon looked at her from head to toe, unable to comprehend if the smaller woman was joking or not. She sensed no sarcasm nor a hint of a joke. She tried her best to hold her laugh but when she saw how confused Bora is, she suddenly laughs. She finds it unbelievable and amusing that the woman in front of her was also clueless about what she was doing.

 

 

“Stop laughing,” Bora shooed as she pouts. “I tried my best.”

 

 

Siyeon nodded but continue to laugh, holding on to her now aching stomach. Bora continued to watch her in annoyance but at least that lifted Siyeon’s mood. She just wants Siyeon to cheer up and she did, somehow. The laughter died down, Siyeon looking at her with a silly smile.

 

 

“Bora,” Siyeon called which the smaller woman groans to.

 

 

“What?” She exasperatingly let out.

 

 

“Thank you.” Siyeon genuinely grins. “For consoling me.”

 

 

Siyeon once again laughs. This time, Bora was not annoyed by her action in fact--inside her heart--she was joyous. Moments like this with Siyeon... Bora hoped she will share this frequently with her.

 

 

******

 

 

The sun was setting down when Bora and Siyeon decided to go out. They already finish chattering for the day and go to the ranch when they learn that Dami was there. Mr. Kim and Gahyeon decided to rest for today. Dami letting Gahyeon use her room in the meantime on the condition she won’t touch anything inside except for the bed. Once, they’ve reached the barn, Siyeon finds something was off.

 

 

The barn’s quiet, the animals resting like usual but something is definitely out of place.

 

 

“Where’s Jam?” Bora spoke which click a thing inside Siyeon’s mind.

 

 

They heard metal clatters not too far from where they are, both getting out of the barn. They witnessed Dami getting down from the horse holding the bridle, to guide the horse inside. Dami noticed both of them and wave her hand.

 

 

“It’s been so long since you ride Jam,” Siyeon amused statement as she looks at the horse.

 

 

“You know she likes freedom,” Dami said. “And she’s grumpy most of the time. She refuses riders.”

 

 

Siyeon nodded, aware of what Dami said. She remembered how the horse will forcefully remove her from its back, those are not good memories. She was fully aware that the only person the horse like is Dami.

 

 

“I’m sorry,” Dami suddenly apologized, the guilt in her tone was undeniable. “I won’t be able to pick you up when you’re drunk or I won’t be able to be of help when there’s an emergency...”

 

 

Bora glances at Siyeon who had the same idea thus making their eyes meet. Both were taken aback by the solemnness in Dami’s words. Bora walks towards Dami who’s petting her beloved animal. When the latter turned to her, she gave her the warmest hug she can muster. She assured her that’s it’s fine and that she doesn’t need to be too hard on herself.

 

 

“I can replace that for you,” Bora said, making Dami confused about what she’s saying. “I can buy a new one. Or even add a motorcycle if you want.”

 

 

Dami’s eyes widened to what Bora just said. She was unsure of what Bora was proposing but she can see the sincerity from the latter’s eyes. Dami saw Bora’s hesitant smile as if confused if there’s something wrong with what she said. Dami found it too much though, Bora’s idea. But she was grateful.

 

 

“Isn’t that a bit too much?” Siyeon suddenly asked, removing the words from Dami’s mind.

 

 

Bora turned to Siyeon and scratches her nape.

 

 

“Was it? But it’s necessary. Grandma can’t walk that much,” Bora reasoned. “And I want to give at least something back because Dami’s been taking care of me.”

 

 

Truthful words came from . Even though Dami is quite rebellious, she can see that she takes care of her. She makes her meals and always got her back at some problems around the house. They might not hold proper conversations but her actions speak louder than her foul mouth, Bora thought.

 

 

Bora flinched when she felt the horse sneered near her, followed by a sob from behind. Once again, they saw Dami breaking down. Bora panicked and console the younger, now noticing how much of a crybaby Dami is. Siyeon on the other hand can’t help but smile, thankful that she has these people in her life.

 

 

Once Dami finished tucking in her horse, and Siyeon and Bora already fed the animals, the three of them entered the house and saw their grandmother and Mr. Kim talking rather seriously. They heard them get in which torn their tensed atmosphere.

 

 

“Dad, I’ll go with you to the city,” Bora said and turned to her grandma. “Grandma, I’ll buy Dami a motorcycle. Can I bring her with me?”

 

 

“I’ll take care of grandma while they’re gone.” Siyeon raising her hand.

 

 

Their grandma chuckles, nodding her head in agreement while Mr. Kim can’t help but admire the enthusiasm of the three women.

 

 

******

 

 

Once night came, Bora invited Siyeon to her room. For some reason, she wants to spend more time with the taller woman which the latter doesn’t mind. She became used to Siyeon being around.

 

 

Siyeon’s sitting on the bed while Bora decided to arrange some of the papers on her desk.

 

 

“Oh, it’s a full moon,” Siyeon said which caught Bora’s attention.

 

 

She looked at the moon and hummed, her room is a good place to view the stars. Bora continues to arrange her stuff while Siyeon is now beside the window, opening it to let the wind enter the room.

 

 

“You know...” Siyeon spoke, drifting away with her thoughts. “This used to be my room.”

 

 

Her ears perked up at what Siyeon confessed, the latter flinching as she realized what she said. She went beside Siyeon, making the latter move away from the window to give her some space. Their body just a few inches apart, Bora looking directly at Siyeon’s eyes.

 

 

“And?” She whispered, instinctively holding Siyeon’s shirt as she felt like the latter will brush this thing.

 

 

“I—” Siyeon gulped, being too conscious of Bora’s grip on her shirt. “It’s nothing just... I just remembered because...moon... The moon looks beautiful tonight and I remembered I always used to admire it...”

 

 

“That’s all?” Bora decided to pull Siyeon closer. “Siyeon, tell me...”

 

 

Siyeon clenched her jaw, tensed as Bora looked at her with seriousness. She decided to touch Bora’s hand that’s gripping her shirt to ease her as she felt the smaller woman’s grip tighten. Bora’s expression turned to an annoyed one when Siyeon tried to remove her hand.

 

 

“Am I that untrustworthy?” Bora asked, removing her hand from Siyeon. “You know, you can tell me anything.”

 

 

And then it hit her, her mind slowly clouding with thoughts. Her frustrations coming back as she remembered Siyeon don’t open up. She noticed she loosen her actions around her but once again, they’re not connected mentally.

 

 

“Bora,” Siyeon unexpectedly cope her face, caressing her cheeks as the latter look at her with guilty eyes. “You are. I trust you. I know you feel it.”

 

 

But why’s our relationship like this? I want more of you.

 

 

Bora clicked her tongue, immediately answering her question. They will never conclude anything if they're both cowards. They don’t have enough courage to open up to one another ever since they met.

 

 

She heard Siyeon sigh, feeling the latter’s thumb caressing her lip. Her breathing suddenly slowed as she saw Siyeon looking at her lips. Paralyzed, she has many scenarios that come to mind when Siyeon stopped her thumb from moving and slowly lean towards her. She instinctively closed her eyes.

 

 

They flinched when they hear a knock on the door. Bora opened her eyes to Siyeon’s red face which the latter immediately hide, moving towards the door.

 

 

“Oh, Siyeon,” Mr. Kim said, not expecting Siyeon. “Right, Bora. What do you plan to do about that python?”

 

 

Siyeon moved aside to let Mr. Kim in, now Bora just spacing out staring at her. She snapped her hand which caught Mr. Kim's attention and just brushed it off. The old man was confused but Bora’s pretty much awake now.

 

 

“I plan to give it to animal welfare in the city,” Bora said, trudging towards the door. “Where did they put it?”

 

 

“It’s just beside the house. Dami did put it in a wooden box,” Mr. Kim said. “She’s together with Gahyeon, it looks like they got along well.”

 

 

Bora chuckles, Siyeon giving her a confused look. The smaller woman turned to her.

 

 

“They’re both crazy when it comes to animals.”

 

 

Siyeon felt a little twitch on her heart when she saw a genuine smile that came from Bora, she didn’t know the latter can be so gorgeous just by smiling like that. She was left in trance and did not realize that Mr. Kim is still in the room. Her daydreaming was cut off when she heard the old man speak.

 

 

“Siyeon,” Mr. Kim called. “Can we talk tomorrow? For a little while.”

 

 

Siyeon looked at him, suddenly her chest feels tight. The dread on her eyes must’ve got through Mr. Kim that’s why he assured her.

 

 

“Don’t worry,” Mr. Kim smiled. “I just want to know how have you been. We can talk about that, right?”

 

 

Siyeon nodded yet the uneasiness in her chest is still present. Mr. Kim took his leave. Siyeon gulped, her mind started to cloud. Feeling guilty for the gentle treatment the old man’s giving her.

 

 

She did after all... hurt Bora...

 

 

--------------------

A/N:

Hello! How are you all so far? Hope you are all having a good day!