Two

Your Voice Did Reach My Heart

CHAPTER 2

 

Feeling the vibration right beside her head and soft knocking just right outside her room, she lazily get up and squinted her eyes because of the brightness of the sun. She groaned as she reached for her phone and pressed the snoozed button before getting up and saw herself in the mirror. Bed hair, eye bags, and dry skin—it was horrible. Thinking that it might be because she forgot to wash her face yesterday and she stayed up so late, the thought that someone is outside her room left her mind. Not until another knock was heard that she stomped towards the door thinking people from the countryside is persistent. She combed her hair with her fingers first before finally opening it.

 

"Breakfast," Dami greeted. "Grandma wants to eat with you."

 

She nodded which shooed Dami away. Why does whenever the latter will instigate a conversation with her, all she can answer is a nod? That made her feel bad about herself but Dami is not a talker so it will be hard to strike a long conversation if she's not willing. She brushed the negative thoughts and just properly combed her hair tying it before going downstairs and got a towel that she placed at her shoulders.

 

"Good morning, sweety." Her grandmother greeted as she waits for her to sit.

 

"Good morning." Bora greeted as she passed the old woman.

 

She gets to the sink and hurriedly washed her face and gargled before sitting down. Dami was beside her and is already eating. She got a spoonful of the meal and chew on it, approving the taste and texture of the food. She glanced at Dami whose secretly watching her, she doesn't want to embarrass her just like last night so she nudges her a little and smile which made the latter confused.

 

"It tastes good."

 

Bora complimented which made her grandmother giggled and looked at Dami who just nodded. She looked brighter after Bora's compliment amidst her tired expression. Looking at Dami, she remembered the happenings that took place last night, and that made her a little upset because she remembered Siyeon's actions towards her.

 

"What's bothering you, sweety?"

 

She flinched with the sudden question of her grandma which made her squirm in her seat. She saw the woman beside her with her checkered flannel stealing some glances to check her and became embarrassed as it's related to the woman she just met last night.

 

"I-it's nothing..."

 

Her obvious lie made Dami sneered. She felt a little insulted and glare at Dami but the latter just ignored her, whilst her grandma looks like someone willing to listen. She felt guilty lying that's why she tried to open but no words came out. She tried again. Gulping, she finally voiced out her worries.

 

"I'm just worried that my foot will fall at the small pit at the stairs. And that, I can't use my phone when I need to call someone." Lies which her grandma taken seriously.

 

"I'm sorry about that, sweety. I promised to fix it before this day's end." Her grandma assured and patted her head before turning to Dami. "Child, call the terminator, okay? And accompany her to the phone booth at the municipal house every time she needs to call someone."

 

Dami just nodded, her plate already clean. She got up and put her plate on the sink, cleaning it before saying her farewell.

 

"I'll tend to the ranch. Call me when you're ready to go out." The woman who equipped her hat exclaimed without looking at her before going out of the house.

 

Bora nodded as she turned again to her food and somehow, her grandma's stares bothered her. She glanced at her grandmother who gave her a genuine smile which made her uncomfortable because she's not used to having this kind of affection from the elderly. She massaged her nape as the awkward silence fill the voiceless gap between her and her relative she'd never seen since sixteen years ago.

 

"You really looked like my late daughter, sweety." Her grandmother exclaimed with a slight smile. "And your expressions too. It's all the same so don't be embarrassed to talk to me. I know when something's troubling you."

 

She nodded in understanding which was a satisfactory answer for the old lady. They continue to eat their breakfast and chat about some trivial stuff about her city life, all were entertained by her grandmother. She presented herself to wash the dishes so she was left in the kitchen to clean up. It was a relaxing silence she's beginning to adore when she heard the faint ringing of the doorbell.

 

Her grandma is in her rocking chair at that time that's why the elder was the one to open up the door. She was greeted by a huge grin from the gleeful woman with a basket of fruits.

 

"Good morning, grandma!" The woman squealed and guided the elder to sit back to her rocking chair and closing the door. "It's storytime! Dami helped last night and then the customers..."

 

All the chattering and soft laughs echoed inside the kitchen. Bora is already familiar with the voice and knew that it was the same person she met last night who called her pretty. She heard all of her stories that the elder giggles too—up to Dami wearing a skirt till to kicking out some drunk erts like usual— it was all too entertaining for the elder and for Bora too who already finished washing the dishes and just wasting her time listening to them.

 

It was as if Siyeon is the actual granddaughter of her relative as she openly talked about her situations to the old lady. While here she is, eavesdropping to their conversations feeling the contriteness shrouding her being. She doesn't feel jealousy or anything, she just feels conflicted by some emotions she refused to process. It's because it's been so long since someone offered her comfort, knowing how she handles feelings differently. Her grandmother was the only one who willingly approached her and offered to help which she appreciate so much yet too shy to voice out.

 

"Is Bora your child's daughter?"

 

Her mind drifted too far from the real world that she only snapped when she heard her name which she's not sure where Siyeon got. It made her intrigued which made her get up from her seat and crept closer to the doorway. The following chats are gibberish which she can't make out that's why she decided to peek a little because somehow, it became silent. She saw Siyeon's crestfallen expression which made her question. It was soon changed to a smile of adoration because of something her grandma told Siyeon—which is gibberish to her because of her weak voice—and a pat in the head like she did to her before.

 

Bora already refracted herself from looking and sigh. It was only a short while when she heard the door opens and the gleeful farewell of the woman who consulted her grandma fades. She got out of the kitchen and get beside her grandma who already closed her eyes yet opened them when she felt Bora's presence.

 

"What is it, sweety?" Her grandmother's congenial question.

 

"I... Thank you..." Bora embarrassedly exclaimed.

 

Still trying to find a reason to attach for her appreciation, her grandmother smile and told her to come closer. She did and received a kiss on her forehead and a soft pat once again. It made her smile and feel valued which nearly swell her eyes but she fights the urge to not tear up in front of her.

 

"You're always welcome, sweety." The old lady assured. "You should get ready so you can tour the village."

 

She nodded with a grin in and get to her room to change. She changed to her black shirt tucked in in her jeans and black running shoes she brought two years ago and get outside. Before she did, she checked on her grandma whose listening to a radio, and said her farewell to her. Once she was outside, she decided to take a deep breath and start her day. Bora headed to the red-colored stable following the dirt path which is convenient as the grass surrounding the field is already ankle height. She saw some speckled frogs and insects along the path which made the trip double in time because she wants to observe some of them.

 

Once she reached the stable, she heard laughing. Bora made her way inside and found Dami and Siyeon feeding the horses while chatting, mainly Siyeon opening while Dami just nods. They caught her attention but it was divided when she saw a beautiful white horse with a blonde mane. It made her gasp and immediately faced it, looking at its before addressing it.

 

"Geez, you're a beauty." She uttered and raised her hand in front of the horse's nose to asked for permission to touch her.

 

Bora forgot that there are other people in the stable and are watching her as she showers the horse with compliments.

 

The taller among the two found it adorable and didn't contain her smile while the owner of the horse became interested in joining her. She made her way towards her horse and introduced it. The other decided to feed the other horses before joining it, seemingly having a good mood than last night.

 

"She's Jam. She's a Shangya Arabian horse." Dami introduced which made Bora open in awe, the owner felt proud of it.

 

They talked for a while as Bora entertained Dami's story about how she acquired the horse, noticing how worked up Dami can get talking about her possession. As she listens to Dami's story, she realized that it might be the longest talk they've done since just yesterday. It was all about horses though but she likes new knowledge, especially about animals as she works in this field. She somehow caught a glimpse of the other person silently watching them from a distance. Their eyes met and they were greeted by a warm smile from the woman who freaked out about her before. Bora imitated the gesture in which the other woman took a sign to approach them.

 

"Dami! I thought you're going to tour Bora around the village?" She cut Dami's facts and trivia about horses and it looks like the latter realized what she's doing. "I'm sorry about that. She tends to be quiet but if you asked about horses, she's extremely talkative."

 

It was Siyeon's apology that carved a smile to Bora's face, she likes this interaction more than last night. Bora let out a chuckle and nodded by Siyeon's apology and find the right words to ask.

 

"Will you be there also?" She started which made Siyeon caught unguarded.

 

"W-well, if you want to..."

 

Scratching her nape, Siyeon slowly put herself behind Dami who already equipped her poker face and already over her horse obsession. She suddenly got embarrassed because of Bora's way of inviting her. Dami removed herself in between them and told the veterinarian to follow her. Bora glance at the fidgety Siyeon and tapped her shoulder making her jolt.

 

"I'm Bora." Her humble proper introduction even though they already knew each other.

 

"Yeah... I'm Siyeon."

 

Bora nodded to her introduction which is somehow awkward for Siyeon. They remain silent until the time they get inside the vehicle. They sat side by side as Dami drive for them.

 

Bora was silently appreciating the land, the woman beside her fancying her little reactions. She remained silent as Dami introduced the establishment and is only watching Bora as the young adult view and listen to Dami's tour until they've reached the pub which is the source of entertainment.

 

"Dami sometimes helps us and wears a skirt as she serves customers." Siyeon teased which made Dami clicked her tongue. "It's good having her around to kick the usual erts that go to the pub."

 

It made Bora giggled and somehow shift her attention to the one who spoke. Siyeon was slightly leaning towards her direction which made the atmosphere uncomfortable as Siyeon's staring at her. They found themselves looking at each other's faces with only a little space in between their lips. Siyeon stiffly smiled and pull her body and face away from Bora whose yet to sink in what just happen. Siyeon bobbed her head as she found herself laughing at their interaction and Bora's confused reaction is not helping. All the happenings were witnessed by Dami using the rearview mirror and gave them a judgmental look as Siyeon laugh her off, while Bora still analyzing what's happening.

 

Dami just drove off towards the little arcade right next to the small market of their town. There's really not much in here except for the old arcade and the pub at night. The population is not that great and most people just sleep early. Kids spend their time in the arcade when they're finished running errands for their parents and sometimes play in the plains.

 

"Dami, stop," Siyeon suddenly uttered which made Dami look at her from the mirror before pulling to the side.

 

Siyeon get out and made her way towards the elder having a basket that looks heavy. She greeted the old lady and offered her help which the elder gladly accepted as she learned who she was. Siyeon helped the old lady to hop onto the vehicle and told Dami to drive, Bora in the side was impressed as she looked back at Siyeon who started walking. She looked at Dami but the latter ignored her and continue to drive towards the dirt road.

 

"Oh, my! You're such a pretty lady. Are you perhaps the granddaughter of Mrs. Kim? It's the first time I saw you." Bombarded by the old lady who's now their passenger.

 

"Y-yes. I just arrived yesterday..." She fidgets and bowed her head to the old lady who let out a chuckle.

 

"Oh, really? You know I have this grandson who works in the cit—"

 

"Grandma Im," Dami called out, cutting the elder's sentence before it turns to an endless recommendation of her kin. "We're in front of your house."

 

Grandma Im groaned, the disappointment is obvious on her face. She slowly gets down the auto-rickshaw making sure that she watched her step to avoid serious consequences. Bora once again thanked Dami mentally for saving her with an alike scenario just yesterday. They saw Siyeon getting nearer and were invited for a second inside the house by the elder. She gets out with a smile on her face and once again found her place beside Bora's side.

 

"Where are we going again?" Siyeon asked as she brushed her faded jeans and white ink-stained shirt.

 

"Arcade." Dami thriftily spoke and maneuver the car.

 

Bora by the time was already thinking about some conversation starters that may lead to her having to know more about this person beside her. She saw Siyeon took a glance at her, unaware that she is being overly observant by the other's actions. Siyeon tilted her head a little and smile as Bora continues to ponder before she realized that Siyeon is already aware of her staring. She removed her eyes away from her, feeling embarrassed because she's just been caught staring.

 

It was the silence that got in between the three of them that soon vanished when Dami stopped the auto-rickshaw and get out. She stretches before she head to the establishment leaving both her and Siyeon.

 

"We're here," Siyeon informed and get to her side of the frame.

 

Siyeon gestured for her to stand up and follow her which she immediately did, afraid to be left behind.

 

"Oh! The wolf arrived! She'll steal our games!" One of the kid scream as he gets behind one of the machines.

 

"No, she won't. The prince is with her." A little girl protested and tugged Dami's sleeves. "You'll protect us right?"

 

Dami just nodded and gestured for Siyeon to come closer before faking an uppercut which made Siyeon go with the flow and tumble to the ground. Siyeon faked her cry which earned the empathy of the children because of her dramatic monologue. One child gets close to Siyeon and hugs her before patting her head.

 

"Are you okay?" The little girl other than the one siding with Dami asked. "Don't worry, I like wolf because you're strong and kind too."

 

It made Siyeon awed and embrace the child, lifting her so the other children can see.

 

"You all stay away from my princess, okay? Don't bully her or I'll steal your games." This followed by a heinous laugh scaring the other children sided with Dami.

 

All were unfolding right in front of Bora who can't control her laughter as Siyeon have been ganged up by the little children persuading the little girl to side with them.

 

"A princess should stay with the prince!" A boy shouted.

 

"Then, I'll make her my wife so she won't be a princess anymore." Siyeon joked and kissed the little girl on her cheeks. "There! I already marked her."

 

It made both Dami and Bora snort when they heard the children gasp in disbelief. The little quarrel goes on and the three never really got ahold of the time because of too much playing with the children. Then, one of the boys noticed Bora at the side still laughing at their feat. He tugged Dami's sleeve and pointed at Bora.

 

"Who is she? She's pretty." The boy said in amusement.

 

"She's an animal doctor," Dami informed the child.

 

"Then, will she treat wolf if she's sick?"

 

The one Siyeon's carrying asked as she turned her attention to Bora who stopped laughing because she felt the pressure of the expectant children. She gulped and clear , meeting Siyeon's eyes that's bewildered by her. She let out a smile and turn to the children.

 

"Yes, I'll treat her when she's sick." She assured and patted the little girl's head that Siyeon carries, moving closer to the latter.

 

Siyeon let out a bright smile and shake her hand before saluting to her which made her chuckle.

 

"I'll be expecting that, doctor." Siyeon winked at her and let out a heinous laugh once again.  

 

Now, she joined the play Dami, Siyeon and the children have been playing for so long.