Five

Your Voice Did Reach My Heart

 

CHAPTER 5

 

"Mommy died because of her!" Cried of the little child being caged by her father in his arms, trembling as he consoled her daughter through his tears. Her daughter noticed how he's pleading and turn to him. "You let Mommy die! You didn't save her!”

 

"Sorry... I'm so sorry..." Mourned of her father as his embraced tighten making the little child's tears flow.

 

***

 

"Bora! Bora!" 

 

It was a shout which made her jolt in her sleep and immediately got to the door, twisting the knob erratically as the woman from the other side furiously knocks. Yoohyeon with a terrified expression greeted her, her eyes furrowing as the latter looked like she's about to cry. 

 

"Siyeon..." She breathes. "Siyeon collapsed..."

 

She immediately grabs her pants and hoodie when she got a grasp of what's happening. She hazily followed Yoohyeon who by the time can't decide if she will walk or run because of how much panic she's bearing inside. Dami was already in the auto-rickshaw and just waiting for them. As soon as they get on, Dami pushed the machine to its limits to go to Siyeon's home. 

 

"What happened?" Bora asked as she tried to calm Yoohyeon down. 

 

"I... I visited her this morning." Yoohyeon sobbed. "She was still in bed but when she heard me she forced herself to get up. I told her to keep resting but she didn't listen... She collapsed and hit her head at the corner of her desk when she tried to help me cook."

 

"Did she bleed?" 

 

"I... I don't know... I was hurrying to get some help..."

 

Bora nibbled on her lower lip as she became restless at the thought that Siyeon might have a concussion. Once Dami stopped, Bora stormed inside Siyeon's unlocked cabin to discovered the latter who attempted to go out only to put all her weight on the shorter woman. Bora—with all her strength—holds Siyeon still as her head slides to her shoulder. She's holding her breath as her body tensed, the overbearing weight of the unconscious woman is slowly crushing her. 

 

"Hold her gently and don't let her head move suddenly..." Bora instructed as she saw Yoohyeon helping her to lift Siyeon. 

 

Dami holds Siyeon's head still, Yoohyeon and Bora lifted her body and placed her in the bed. The doctor already felt her heated temperature, scanning her head for any injury. A wound was seen, Bora looking at Dami whose behind her. 

 

"I need some cotton, disinfectant, and bandages." She informed which Dami responded to, Bora now turning to Yoohyeon. "Get some water and a towel. We need to cool her fever."

 

She turned to Siyeon whose still unconscious and with labored breathing. Checking her back to feel Siyeon's sweaty condition before going to what looked like her closet and pulling a shirt, she decided to wait for Yoohyeon to get what she needed to clean Siyeon. 

 

Although being a veterinarian, a doctor is still a doctor whether it is a human or an animal. Basic healing skills can be immediately applied but people overcame by panic are trouble. But thanks to that, Bora saw Siyeon's condition which might worsen if handled incorrectly. She saw Siyeon's head slowly shifting, revealing a blood patch on her white pillow. Bora immediately stopped her head.

 

"Siyeon, Siyeon," Bora called out which made the sick woman groan. "Don't move too much."

 

"Bo-ra..." Siyeon called out, making Bora caress her cheek to assure the sick woman that she's near. 

 

Yoohyeon entered the room with a container and a towel which Bora immediately take. She soaked the towel, rinsing it to gently wiped Siyeon's face. Once she finished with her face, Bora decided to Siyeon's pajama together with her bra. It made her gulped and she noticed how Yoohyeon turned around. She decided to lay the cloth in the meantime as she wipes Siyeon's body. She was holding her breath which she failed to notice, not until she already put the change of clothes to Siyeon. 

 

The sick woman's groan made her jolt but the goal to ease her fever didn't leave her mind. She once again soaked the towel with water and placed it on Siyeon's forehead. She got up and instructed Yoohyeon to keep an eye on Siyeon's head movement and stop her from moving too much. The young lady nodded and is already in character when Bora decided to go to the sink. She bites on her upper lip to suppress a grunt as she feels her face heat up. It was a full minute before she decided to compose herself and replaced the water in the container when she heard the front door opening. 

 

She removed unnecessary thoughts in her mind before walking again to Siyeon's room. Dami gave her the things she asked and Yoohyeon immediately removing herself to Siyeon's side as Bora prepare the kit. She pressed the disinfectant-soaked cotton around Siyeon's wound gently and telling Dami to cut the bandage just enough for a cover. The rustles of Siyeon's hair are audible as the three silently treat her. Once Bora patched the wound with the square cut bandage, she grabs a roll of bandage and started to cover Siyeon's head, rolling it around to hold the patch still. She heard Yoohyeon sigh in relief when she already finished treating Siyeon but she knew this will not end with Siyeon getting up without a slight defect. 

 

"Do you have a doctor here?" She asked as she organized the things she just used. 

 

"In another town. You're the only doctor here." Dami answered.

 

"We should bring her to a real doctor tomorrow." Bora exclaimed emphasizing the 'real doctor' as they knew she doesn't qualify as one with people. "It is possible that her brain might get some damage. It shouldn't be that serious but just to make sure..."

 

Dami and Yoohyeon agreed which made Bora nodded and once again glance at the now peaceful Siyeon. At the side of her eye, she saw Dami being all fidgety. She turned to her and curiously followed her movements. 

 

"I need to go..." Dami's hesitant announcement. "Will you stay?"

 

Bora didn't even have a second thought before nodding which made Yoohyeon get up from the stool near Siyeon's bed. She smiled at Bora before turning to Dami, saying her farewell. She also has things to do especially when Siyeon is sick, leaving Bora the role of her caretaker for today. Bora also gets up to lead them to the door. 

 

"I'll deliver lunch later," Dami informed before getting to the vehicle, Yoohyeon as a passenger. 

 

Bora waved them goodbye, her hands meeting the cold knob once again when she decided to enter the cabin. Mind floating because of her thoughts, her eyes somehow managed to land on a study desk where an old picture was framed. Her feet feather tapping, she made her way to the said desk to look at the frame. It was a portrait of Siyeon's family, a little old and dusty. She decided to wipe the built-up dust covering the frame, the rough feeling lingering at her fingers. Her eyes caught the little girl's felicitous reaction perfectly captured by the photo. A smile curved to her lips unknowingly as she stares for a long time. 

 

It made her snoop around a little and somehow found a messy pile of letters just beside the photo. She sorted it out and found some invitation, together with a contact number that just dated just a month prior. She didn't open the letter and stashed it away properly. It was a pile of invitations of all sorts that came from different locations but she's not that interested to know what the letters say. Once she finished stacking the letters neatly, a familiar picture caught her attention. It was hanging in the wall, a little portrait that is all too familiar that she found herself moving in front of it. She reached for the frame. Well maintained and dust-free unlike the other portrait on her desk. It made her gulped as the rough floral carving of the frame made her reminisced about her childhood she purposely forgot. Her fingers—finding the familiar face of her mother—trembles as her mind produced so many questions. She gets the frame hanging on the wall to take a closer look, gripping tightly as her hands continue to tremble. A glimpse of bold letters behind the frame caught her attention, her heart aching as she reads the words that repeat inside her head.

 

"Bo-ra..." Bora flinched when she heard the latter called for her. "Bora..."

 

She got back to her senses removing her dimming expression before hanging the frame again. Her call sounded needy and in pain which made Bora concerned and get beside her. She saw Siyeon breaking sweats and convulsing which made her alarmed and get the towel from her forehead to soak it again. After she wiped Siyeon's face, the latter somehow calm down but is now crying. She mutters incoherent things which made Bora shut her but Siyeon still grieves. 

 

"I'm sorry..." Her hoarse pleading. "I'm so... sorry..."

 

Bora silently listens as Siyeon apologized continuously, numbing her senses to not be affected and focused on taking care of the sick woman. She gently held her hand, tucked her in properly, and monitored her. It will be in her forever conscience if she will leave Siyeon in this condition. She'll deal with her uncertain feelings when the latter recovers or not at all. Her priority right now is to help this woman. 

 

She needs to feed her so she will feel better so when Siyeon finally slept, she moved to the kitchen and found the untouched grocery Yoohyeon prepared. She decided to cook some porridge and put on the apron hanging at a rack, her mind settled on making Siyeon recover brushing unnecessary emotions for now. 

 

******

 

The thought of the inextinguishable fire consumed her and made her mourn, needing the very person who helped her in her distress. Opening her eyes, she saw the familiar silhouette which made her grieve. Her apology won't be enough for a wasted life, not now nor ever. Yet why does the hand clasping hers felt so gentle and warm? It made her confused and certainly amused. It was never supposed to be like this. It was never supposed to feel good nor be pleasant. It's always supposed to hurt, suppose to stress her so she can atone for her sin. 

 

The scent of lavender mixed with the distinct smell of a dish wake her. She lazily opened her eyes, crisps of dust made it more challenging. A blurred representation of a face greeted her that soon after became the very person who she didn't expect to stay with her. She gazes for as long as she remembered before the woman caring for her removed her hand to her forehead. 

 

"Can you sit? I made a porridge so you can eat." 

 

She slightly nodded, removing her blanket. Siyeon pushed herself to sit, her head aching which made it a little hard. She felt a pair of hands guided her and pull her, getting her up with ease. She took a glance at the woman sitting next to her, already preparing to blow the steaming porridge. Bora placed the spoon in front of . Instead of gladly letting the woman feed her, she gently holds the spoon and feeds herself. 

 

"I can do it... On my own..." Siyeon groggily informed and scooped some more, Bora just letting her do as she pleases. 

 

Bora removed herself from her side, Siyeon hazily followed her with her eyes before once again turning to her meal. She was halfway from eating her second spoon full when her head throb enough for the spoon to fell because of her weak grip. It caught Bora's attention and immediately attended to her, holding her head. 

 

"Don't move your head too much." Bora calmly instructed and steady Siyeon's head. "Your head is bleeding so don't push yourself."

 

She remembered how she bluntly hit her head to the corner of her desk when she tried to get up even though she's already burning with fever. It was her stubbornness that she got injured and also sick. Making this woman care for her also got to her conscience. She grit her teeth which resulted in her head aching once more. She sighs and gently removed Bora's hands away from her. 

 

"I'm sorry..." Another apology came from Siyeon's mouth. "You shouldn't have to do this. I can take care of myself..."

 

"Really?" Bora mockingly crossed her arms around her chest. "Should I leave now?" 

 

Siyeon slightly raised her head, her gaze directing to Bora's body as she doesn't dare to meet her face. She gulped before nodding her head, the woman letting out an aspirated sigh. She saw how Bora can't decide what stance she should show. She bites both of her lips before she lay down, covering herself with the blanket. The atmosphere became motionless for a while which made her guilt heavier. Shutting her eyes tightly, she heard rustles outside her comfort and some footsteps other than Boras. 

 

"Is she asleep?" Asked the woman with a deep voice.

 

She didn't hear Bora's answer thus just heard the fading steps and the door closing after a long silence. She tried to fall asleep, the guilt of the words she let out engulf her. A couple of minutes—her head aching—she slumber. 

 

Little rustles awoke her, the heaviness inside is mild. She lifted herself to sit, seeing a woman in her black dress. A meal already in front of her. The sky already grey. She holds on to her head and snoops around the container but her hand was slapped by Yoohyeon. 

 

"How are you feeling?" Yoohyeon asked, already readying Siyeon's meal. 

 

"I'm good now..." She said, her mind dazing from a distance. 

 

She heard no other person in her home. The vet might have gone home. Her eyes landing on the light meal, not noticing Yoohyeon's worried stare. She started eating as Yoohyeon talked but making sure she won't be bothered. Yoohyeon kept it a few sentences, some even made her laugh. 

 

"You'll need to go to a clinic," Yoohyeon informed when she cleaned up. "To check your head."

 

"My head's okay," A little twitch from her. 

 

Yoohyeon just gave her the look, not convinced. She holds her head steady, remembering the woman who did it to her. Her mind begins to daze again. Maybe she needs to go to the clinic now. She sighs and felt her sweaty back. She just ate, releasing the heat from her body. She called for Yoohyeon for her to get a change. 

 

Now that she saw it, her clothes are not the ones she used when she got to bed last night. It made her confused but just brushed it off until Yoohyeon approaches her. 

 

"Bora changed your pajama. She also catered to you just until this afternoon. I took over because she looked stressed and bothered while she's here." Yoohyeon turned her back to her whose already undressing. "Make sure you thank her."

 

She hummed, obviously doesn't have the guts to do it. Shooing her away, she doesn't even think she can face her now. Her mood became more conflicted. She was so considerate that even if she denied her, she still stayed. Pathetic is the only word that suits her right now. She'd hurt her enough in the past, and she's doing it again. 

 

"She's in the bar right now. She told me she wants to drink a lot. And you know what? Minji seems close to her now. I'm a bit jealous because Minji talks to her a lot." Yoohyeon blabbered which certainly clouds her emotions more. "Maybe because she's in her age range? And Minji is an adult when it calls for it. What do you think?"

 

"I don't know."

 

"Are you jealous?" Yoohyeon teased shaking her a little. "I saw how you look at her. And also what you said last night. So cringe."

 

"I'm not. Why would I? Mind your own business."

 

The sick woman let out a groan which made Yoohyeon giggled. Nibbling at her lower lip as her temperature rise once again. She can't hide anything from this blabbermouth. It made her want to know more about what Bora and Minji talk about. She knew Yoohyeon knows what they talked about. 

 

"Bora seems like she's making a home in this town. She looks comfortable now than before. I think it's all thanks to you..." Yoohyeon's words made her heart flutter. "Or the alcohol? She's been drinking way too much these past few days..."

 

"You should just shut your mouth so I can sleep." She cut off and immediately whisper to herself. "So insensitive."

 

"But I'm jealous! Won't you hear me out?" Yoohyeon whined which made her slowly shift to her. "You know how Minji tends to sway when she saw beautiful girls, right?"

 

She was once again reminded of the eager Minji who courted her before she settled with Yoohyeon. She can't bear to see her be swayed by Bora. Not the person she has her eyes on. 

 

"You're cute that's why Minji settled with you. You don't need to be jealous." She nonchalantly said as her mind hissed with the thought of Bora and Minji together. 

 

Yoohyeon blushed with her straightforward answer and gave her a sticky look which she chuckles on. 

 

The woman laughs with her and she continued to hear her rant. How Minji always and how jealous she gets when her girlfriend flirts with other guests. It must be a bartender's perk as they tend to be attractive to people. She listened until she can but the dozing effect from the medicine she swallowed already took effect that's why she let herself loose. She felt the blanket covered her and the sweet goodnight of the woman with many stories.