Three

Your Voice Did Reach My Heart

 

CHAPTER 3

 

She stared hazily at the crying child, knowing full well what's unfolding in front of her. Scream of the adults left and right as the flames engulfed the house. Everyone used any means to stop it but the fire is already too big to be extinguished by buckets of water. She stares at the child, the heat of the merciless flame kept kissing her side.

 

"I'll be back. Stay here, honey." Her mother's last words before she entered the house and retrieved the very child she's keeping an eye on before once again entering the house and never returned.

 

Tottering towards the weeping kid, she found herself crouching down to her level and patting her head.

 

"It will be okay..." Her words reached the kid who finally looked at her. "Mommy will save them."

 

It was a hope to this day she wished was granted.

 

******

 

She jolted as soon as she heard her alarm ringing nonstop together with the usual knocking outside her door. She gulped making her dried throat replenishing its moisture before wiping beads of sweat from her forehead. She hazily got up and open the door to find Siyeon who flinched as soon as she saw her. 

 

"I-Uh, grandma said to wake you up..." She reasoned, looking at everything except for Bora's face and her outfit. 

 

Bora nodded and stare at Siyeon whose yet to go. She played with her upper lip whilst thinking and nodding her head before she greeted Siyeon a good morning which the other replied with a much joyous tone. She smiled and informed the taller woman that she'll be down in a jiffy before closing the door and checking herself in the mirror. 

 

"Geez..." She muttered when she saw herself. 

 

She can't believe she opened the door with just a tight crop top and undergarment, now she knows why Siyeon can't even look at her. She slapped herself and groan before tying her hair and changing her outfit. 

 

It took a while as she reminisced the nightmare she just had and how foolish she is to believe that her mother will come back that time. She sighs and gets out of her room with a dress she uses when she's only at home. She heard chattering in the kitchen and found Siyeon sitting parallel to her grandma and Dami. Siyeon nodded to her with a smile on her face before once again engaging herself in a conversation with the two. After she washed her face, she sat next to Siyeon.

 

It's been a week since she came back and this is pretty much their daily morning routine, Siyeon joining them after the third day because her grandma insisted and she shows up every time after that. Compared to the two days they spent in silence, the table is more lively thanks to the talkative town helper. 

 

Bora took a glance to her side where Siyeon is and back again to her plate. She already knew Siyeon helps everyone in town and is a singer in the pub. She doesn't accept anything in return when she helps, folks just tend to threaten her when they give her something so she would accept. She says her thanks and move on to other people to give them the goods. She was a saint and is pretty much welcome to every house but she still chose to live alone in a small cabin. Bora found it all intriguing but she doesn't want to pry anymore than the person let out from . 

 

She yawned at her thoughts and somehow her eyes found Siyeon giggling beside her. As soon as the latter noticed her, she turned to her food and hums as they continue. Bora just brushed it off and finished her meal, remembering that she needs to call her father so he can know what she's been up to.

 

"I need to use the phone booth." She exclaimed and looked at Dami who looked at her. 

 

"I can't. I'll milk the cows today." Dami dissented and protrude her lips towards Siyeon. "She can bring you there."

 

She saw Dami being hit by her grandma at the shoulder which the young lady didn't even react to, she's already used to it. Dami get up and washed her plate before getting out to start her long day. Bora saw her grandma sigh pleadingly looking at Siyeon. 

 

"I'm sorry about that. She likes animals more than humans." Her grandma apologized whilst looking at her. 

 

Bora assured her it's okay because she likes animals more than humans too. And she's betting that Dami doesn't want to deal with those elders who kept bugging her about their grandsons. She did act like her bodyguard for the last two days and that must have exhausted her and trying to unwind by taking care of her pets. 

 

"It's okay, grandma. I'm already used to it and I'm sure Dami trusts me enough to protect your granddaughter." Siyeon boasted and nudge her a little which made her snicker and shake her head because of the taller woman's silliness. 

 

Her grandma let out a sigh of relief and continue eating. 

 

"You'll need a penny if you want to use the booth," Siyeon informed, leaning to the doorway of her room as she organized her thing before going out. 

 

Her room finally has a desk, closet, and racks for her shoes and little space now compared to before. She's yet to finish her move because she enjoys going to the fields and searching for peculiar sights than staying in the house. She finally puts on her shoes and is looking for some change in her coin purse before going in front of Siyeon and showing her the penny. 

 

"Will this be enough?" She tilted her head to see the face of the young woman that's been blocked when she raised the coin in front of her face. She let out a playful smile and nodded before pulling Bora's arm down.

 

"For five minutes." 

 

Bora's listened and just brought her entire coin purse even though she's sure their talk won't even last more than five minutes. She knew her father's busy with their clinic and not having her there will make his work doubled but her father is the one who decided to put her in this town so she doesn't feel much guilt. She put the purse inside her hoodie pocket and let her hands stay inside of the cloth because it's particularly cold outside today. She was wearing jeans and a white Nike hoodie and yet it seems like it's not enough. 

 

The sun didn't shine, the sky is filled with grey cumulonimbus clouds which made the air a lot colder. It might rain later if the clouds won't dissolve. Somehow, Bora sneezed and shiver which alerted Siyeon who moved closer to her. 

 

"Shouldn't you put more clothes?" Siyeon hurriedly aided Bora and give her a handkerchief.

 

"No, I'm okay." Bora insisted and get to the auto-rickshaw. "Let's go."

 

Siyeon brows furrowed but just sigh before removing her denim hoodie and told Bora to cover herself with it because the breeze is much colder when she started to drive. She was wearing a thick flannel underneath the denim hoodie and her body's already used to such weather that's why she's confident that a little cold won't affect her but Bora being Bora, she didn't accept just because but Siyeon won't lose. 

 

"Put it on just until we reach the booth. Then, you can act tough when we need to get back." Siyeon insisted and shushed Bora's reasoning. 

 

Bora sneered and accepted Siyeon's kindness. It will not be her responsibility if she catches a cold. She's the one who'll be in full responsibility for her kindness. She's only good at taking care of animals and not people when they're sick that's why she doesn't want to be involved with people. She let out a sigh that formed little fragments which made her amazed. The year is yet to enter December and it's already this cold in this province in the morning. 

 

She saw Siyeon shivered but she pay no mind because she's the one acting tough here. As they neared the municipal house, a young lady waved at them. Siyeon glanced at Bora from the rearview mirror before pulling over to the familiar woman. 

 

"Siyeon!" Called by the familiar woman before shifting to Bora whose just watching them. "You have a date?"

 

Bora raised her eyebrow to the woman who simply let out a gummy smile and stretches her hand. She hesitantly reached for it and when she does, the woman shakes her hand erratically making the denim jacket fell on the vehicle floor. It was immediately gotten by the owner and brushed off some dirt it accumulated. 

 

"I'm Yoohyeon! Nice to meet you, Bora!" She gleefully greeted which made Bora a little uncomfortable because she's too energetic. "Ow—what the hell!"

 

Bora let out a surprised looked when Siyeon just suddenly pulled the young lady— wearing a rather beautiful blue dress stretching to her ankle—by the ear and gave her an earful. Yoohyeon was pouting and is restless as Siyeon is still at it. She crossed her arms around her chest and rolled her eyes, provoking the latter. Bora just silently watched them, her impression of Siyeon as a saint is slowly fading. 

 

"You should be aware of your surroundings and other's feelings when you do something." Siyeon lectured which Yoohyeon just sigh too and made Bora sneered. 

 

She can't believe it's coming from the person who insisted to have her jacket as a cover. It was not a bad thing but other people don't like nagging even if you want to help them. If Bora would be the one to offer her a jacket and she said no, she'll accept her decision and just leave it at that. Now, she knew Siyeon's pushy. 

 

"Just hop on." 

 

Siyeon sigh in defeat, Yoohyeon—her new acquaintance sneered and sat beside her. She makes a personal space for her but Yoohyeon decided to lean towards her and whisper which she didn't understand as the whirring of the machine of the vehicle hindered her hearing. She just nodded and glanced at Yoohyeon who flashed a smile. 

 

Once they've reached the booth, she got out from the auto-rickshaw and somehow uncomfortable because Yoohyeon is tailing her. She gets her purse from her hoodie pocket which made the young lady in her blue dress gasp in disbelief. She was somehow reminded of these actions... 

 

"Wow, that's a cute red purse you have." She shrieked in excitement. 

 

"Yeah..." 

 

Now, she remembered what she resembled. A dog. She acts too much like a dog... Bora nervously laughs as Yoohyeon's still eyeing her but Siyeon stepped in between them. She looked over Siyeon's shoulder to look at Yoohyeon's reaction and she guessed it right when she looks like she's about to bite Siyeon. 

 

"Where's your owner? Where's Minji?" Siyeon asked, her face showing a fed-up expression as she crossed her arms around her chest. 

 

"I'm not a dog!" Yoohyeon barked and shake Siyeon who doesn't believe her. 

 

"Then, stop acting like one. You're creeping Bora out." Siyeon defended and pointed at the person behind her back whose casually watching them. "And, you should make your call now. I'll handle Yoohyeon before she barks too much."

 

Bora let out a laugh which stops the two from arguing. She waved her hand to them to avoid them assuming that she lost her mind, she just found them funny that's all. Siyeon smirk at Yoohyeon which flinched when she saw Siyeon's mocking smirk and looking at her from head to toe before sighing. 

 

"Sure. This won't take long." 

 

Bora let out and get inside the booth, her attention still on the people outside having a funny interaction. She dialed their clinic's phone number after she inserted her change. It ringed for a few seconds before someone finally picked up, it was her secretary at the front desk. She asked for her father which the secretary gladly approved.

 

"How's life in the province?" A little beep was heard before she finally heard her father's greeting. 

 

"It's okay. Grandma's in good condition and has people taking care of her." She informed playing the cord of the telephone. "The ranch is also well-maintained because of Dami. She's the kid grandma adopted before, she's a fully grown woman now."

 

Their talk is somewhat dull, but Bora felt the need to let out all her thoughts that even her grandma can't know because she's sure the old lady will be too concerned with her. With her father though, she knew she can say it because her father will just brush it off. She was used to that kind of affection that she's somehow uncomfortable with herself. That's the reason why she can't be weak in front of these people because they'll pity her. That's the only thing she doesn't want from strangers, the only thing that kept bothering her since her mother passed away. 

 

"I dreamt of the house fire from eighteen years ago..." She started which made the other line silent. "It's been so long..."

 

She heard a beep which reminded her that she needs to insert another coin and she did and heard the cut voice of her father. 

 

"—ry...It will be okay. You should just get plenty of rest. It will pass." Her father assured she nodded in acceptance. 

 

She was sure her father did say some long words but she was too slow to insert another coin that's why she didn't bother to ask him again. She hanged up after some small talk about their clinic and her work before she said her farewell to the man from the other line. She hanged up with a more heavy heart than before she arrived. She wants to unwind and let all her stress out but what can she do in this small town? She stretches her arms up above her head and lets out a hefty sigh before getting out of the booth. 

 

"Will Dami help us again? You know Minji is also in demand with the customers and I can't handle them all— tending at the bar and serving at the table." Yoohyeon whined. "And sometimes we do duet which also makes Minji beat up every time." 

 

Bora overheard the conversation and remembered that Siyeon works at the pub. She learned that Yoohyeon is also working there and somehow imagined the hectic jobs they're doing. Bora approached them whilst her hand in her hoodie pocket which Siyeon—who let out a hearty laugh—failed to realize.

 

"I didn't know you're concern about me." She mocked which made Yoohyeon smack her shoulder. 

 

"Of course. You've been beating yourself up ever since I met you. You don't even rest and always help everyone." Siyeon laughs at her attics. "And stop owning something that's not your fault already."

 

Bora immediately stopped when she heard what Yoohyeon said. She became interested in what Siyeon will react to the intriguing expression the young lady let out. Siyeon's back was facing her, unable to comprehend her reaction but she knew she's relaxed because Yoohyeon kept glaring at her. There was a moment of silence before Siyeon once again speak. 

 

"She was my angel who gave me another chance. Don't you think it will be bad to just mop around for a long time and do nothing? I decided to spend my life like this." 

 

Bora gulped at Siyeon's words and somehow a feeling unknown to her reached her heart and make it ache. 

 

"Also, I'm already resting. See?" She spoke stretching her arms from both sides as a confident gesture. "I'm sitting on this bench casually talking to you. I'm filled with energy now."

 

"Minji will smack you if she heard you're flirting with me." Yoohyeon joked and her worries temporarily subside. 

 

"I'm sure she's still sleeping which you should be doing too so why are you out this early?" Siyeon's mother mode was once again activated. 

 

"I just want to see the talk of the town," Yoohyeon exclaimed before pointing at Bora whose already behind Siyeon. "The 'pretty lady' based on the children's explanation."

 

Siyeon suddenly turned to her, the dread in her expression was noticeable for Bora. She smiled at Siyeon which the latter replied with a tight-lipped gulp. She placed herself in front of Yoohyeon and crouch to her level. 

 

"Do you see it?" Bora teased which made the woman in front of her giggled, she certainly caught her attention. "Nice to meet you too, Yoohyeon."

 

Yoohyeon laugh which made her chuckle and glanced at the still quiet Siyeon. Bora straightens herself and talk. 

 

"What time does the pub open? I want to get a drink." Bora announced which made the two react in amazement. 

 

Somehow, she found the need to show one of her colors—the bright kind that certainly shocked Siyeon because she's been unresponsive all those times they've spent their time together. She doesn't know the cause but she just had the urge to open up a little when she learned how admirable the woman who offered her denim hoodie to her can be. 

 

"We open at eight. Make sure to bring Dami with you also if you want to see her wearing a skirt." 

 

Yoohyeon laughed before she finally removed herself from the picture after spending some chats with the two of them, mainly Bora just asking what kind of drinks they have while Siyeon just silently listen to them. Bora already gets in the auto-rickshaw ahead of Siyeon whose been greeted by an old man on the way to the fields. She waited for her—watching her as she engaged in a polite conversation towards the grandpa. A smile slipped to her face as she tightens the hood around her head and thought how good Siyeon can be. 

 

"Sorry for the wait..." She sincerely apologized as she gets to the driver's seat. 

 

"It's okay..." Bora assured. "Thank you for accompanying me."

 

She felt a little embarrassed admitting that she's sincere in her gratitude but when she heard Siyeon hum in response, she relaxed her tensed shoulders that she didn't notice until now. 

 

Somehow, she realized something has changed but she doesn't know what still. All she knows is she's happy discovering the indescribable feeling that's blooming inside her.