Eight

Your Voice Did Reach My Heart

CHAPTER 8

 

She let out a sigh as she heard her alarm goes off. Wiping her sweats with the towel, Bora moved towards her bed to shut her alarm. She’s been working out inside her room for two hours now. She decided to wrap up for the day and head to the bathroom. Once she got out, she saw Dami inside the kitchen already readying their meal.

 

 

Dami yawned defenselessly, not knowing Bora is just beside the kitchen doorway. It made a small smile to Bora’s lips as she found Dami’s action loosed. She’s too stiff when there are other people around especially around Bora, so it was a new sight for the latter. She coughed which made Dami flinched and flicked her head in her direction. She smirked and head towards the ref, getting the water out.

 

 

“Good morning to you.” It was in a mocking tone and Bora can’t help but smile as she heard Dami groan. “I slept well last night. Did you?”

 

 

“I didn’t sleep,” Dami answered. “I’m a vampire, I don’t need sleep.”

 

 

It was a nice joke, Bora admitted but it did not make her laugh. She hummed and bobbed her head before heading to the living room and sitting on the brown couch. She spread her arms to the headrest together with her head and stare at the ceiling. She spent a few minutes pondering before she heard a soft knock on the front door. Bora groaned and get up. Grabbing the cold knob, she already knew who is outside the door.

 

 

“Oh? Bora?”

 

 

“Yeah? What?” She answered, shrugging her shoulders which made the other chuckle.

 

 

“Nothing. It’s just unusual to see up so early,” She reasoned and smile. “Good morning.”

 

 

“Morning.”

 

 

Siyeon giggled and get inside, a basket filled with vegetables with her. She watched her as she made her way to the kitchen, greeting Dami. She can’t help but observe the latter. She wants to know more about her but not now. The right time will come.

 

 

She pressed herself again on the couch, groaning as she knew she’s a coward. Her thinking, her actions, her interactions with her, all of it are acts of cowardice. It was never simple to come out and say, ‘I want to know more about you'. Especially for her who avoided many meaningful relationships. Scared to even put trust in anyone, how can she just go to Siyeon and asked? She’s not someone who makes the first move.

 

 

“You look refreshed,” The woman in her jeans and black shirt spoke. “Something good happened?”

 

 

“I worked out.” She answered thriftily, opening her eyes to see Siyeon sitting at her grandma’s rocking chair.

 

 

“Oh? Does that mean you’ll stop drinking?”

 

 

No, why? Bora thought.

 

 

“Why are you so concerned about me drinking?”

 

 

Siyeon did not answer and leaned to the rocking chair. Bora found it weird but she is weird herself, so she won’t argue.

 

 

This is how they are: not getting in other’s way, not trying to force one to answer. These are the reasons why she’s comfortable and uncomfortable with Siyeon. Comfortable because she can be herself without being questioned. Uncomfortable because she wants to know more about her. Does she feel the same? Bora can only hope.

 

 

“Breakfast’s ready.”

 

 

It was Dami. She also gets their grandma to her room.

 

 

She heads to the kitchen, leaving Siyeon. She sat and feel the seat beside her occupied. She took a glance, Siyeon did too and now there is an awkward atmosphere between them.

 

 

Once they’ve finished, her grandma spoke.

 

 

“Siyeon, do you have something to do today?”

 

 

“Nothing much. Just work in the pub at night. “

 

 

“Can you clean the room above?” Bora saw her grandma glanced at her. “Yong Suk will come next week.” It was her father.

 

 

“Sure…”

 

 

“Sweety, can you help Siyeon? This child has some errand to do.” She’s talking about Dami who’s dusting her white flannel.

 

 

“Sure…”

 

 

The door creaks upon opening, Bora dangling the key on her finger as she got inside and whistle. The room was filled with dust, thankfully the furniture is covered with white blankets. Dusting and mopping are needed. They can finish it in half a day.

 

 

“I’ll get the broom and mop.”

 

 

Bora nodded and started to uncover the furniture. She made sure to not make too many actions as the dust will come flying to her. She glances at the door and sees Siyeon holding the things she mentioned and a duster. Her white shirt will get dirty, Bora thought.

 

 

They began Bora, letting Siyeon dust before she sweeps. No one uttered, too focused to even construct a word. Bora was too absorbed in sweeping that she didn’t notice the cabinet her back bumped to. It made a clattering sound, enough to make Siyeon turn in her direction. Thankfully, none from the inside of the cabinet fall but a small book fell from Bora’s side. Taking a good look now at the thing that fell, it was now a small book. It was a photobook, an old one.

 

 

Bora picked it up, Siyeon moved next to her. Both curious about what the photobook contains, Bora opened it. It contains her baby photos… Boras and another little girl. They were side by side, grinning at the camera yet she doesn’t have any recollection of who the girl was. By this time, Siyeon already moved away from her. The latter continue to flip through it and found a couple more with her parents and grandmother.

 

 

She was confused, her eyes landing on Siyeon who’s still absorbed in her work. But there was one thing she found weird, Siyeon’s expression changed and the tension in the room surely rose. She closed the photobook and decided to get a ladder from the storage room. She found one but it looks like it will break soon but it’s better than nothing.

 

 

“You will get hurt,” Siyeon warned as she saw Bora leaning the small ladder beside the cabinet.

 

 

Bora ignored her thus placed her foot on the step. It was going fine and she got a couple of photo books, the dust made her sneezed. The step suddenly breaks, making her stumble to the ground. A loud thud was heard, she’s now covered in dust from the photobooks. Siyeon immediately rushed towards her, removing the photobooks that fell together with her.

 

 

“I told you so,” Siyeon reminded which made her irritated.

 

 

Siyeon helped her get up, feeling the soreness of her bum.

 

 

“Can you walk?” Siyeon asked and hold her hands, their eyes widening.

 

 

She immediately retracted her hand, still sitting on the floor. Siyeon did the same, placing her fist to her chest because of shock. They felt a spark when they touched which caught them both off guard. Both their eyes wandered around the room, shaken and suddenly mute. When it finally sinks in, Bora decided to get up despite her sore back.

 

 

“I-I’ll just take a shower,” Bora said before running out of the room.

 

 

“W-wait…” Siyeon hurriedly followed her. “Be care—”

 

 

She never finished because she already heard Bora’s horrifying scream, rushing down the stairs. Bora stepped on the brittle step and got stuck.

 

 

“Don’t move! Don’t panic!” Siyeon tried to calm Bora who’s tears already building up in her eyes. “I’ll call help. Stay still!”

 

 

Siyeon immediately gets to the old woman’s room to inform her about the situation and rushed outside to call for help. She arrived at Bora and her grandma talking while Bora’s leg was still stuck on the step. She’s much calmer now which made Siyeon somehow at ease. She’s together with a couple of young men, one has a saw on his hand.

 

 

Bora got scared of what the young men will do but Siyeon assured her that it will be okay. Dread in her eyes was present as the man started sawing the stair while the other was on standby. Siyeon was concerned as she saw Bora was scared thus embracing her, lifting her. Bora embraced her tight, burying her face to Siyeon’s chest.

 

 

“It will be okay,” Siyeon assured.

 

 

Ten minutes passed, and the man finished sawing the stairs, also removing Bora. Her leg bleeding and full of bruises. Siyeon has a morbid look and decided to carry Bora on her own. She doesn’t want anyone to touch her, and it was her fault in the first place. She placed Bora on the couch and got to the kitchen to get some water. She gets back to Bora almost immediately with a bucket of water and a towel, gently placing Bora’s leg to the bucket and wipe the latter’s leg.

 

 

They overheard their grandmother talking to the men and get straight to the point, saying she needs them to fix the stairs. The men agreed immediately.

 

 

“Siyeon, dear. Let them get Bora and accompany her to the clinic in the other town,” Their grandma said but Siyeon disagreed.

 

 

“No.” Her tone was hard and unwavering. “We’ll wait for Dami. I can carry Bora fine on my own.”

 

 

The atmosphere became tense, the old woman’s sigh stopped the tension from rising and smiled at the young men.

 

 

“You heard her,” The old woman pointed out. “Now, get going you two. You still need to fix my stairs.”

 

 

The men let out awkward chuckles and get out of the house.

 

 

Siyeon was still fixated on rinsing Bora’s leg, wiping it gently to remove the dirt. She sensed Bora’s uneasiness as she discovered a small piece of wood that pierced through her skin.

 

 

“Take a deep breath,” Siyeon said as she grips on the wood, Bora obliged and Siyeon immediately removed it.

 

 

She covered the open wound with the towel and look at Bora with her worried eyes.

 

 

“It’s going to be okay.”

 

 

******

 

 

The sun was already setting when Dami decided to go get her auto-rickshaw. It’s been so long since it traveled this long and she’s concerned if it can handle another ruthless drive. She checked the engine and sigh.

 

 

She looked at the door of the clinic as she heard it clicked.

 

 

“Are you sure you’re fine now? I can carry you. You don’t need to force yourself.” She heard the taller woman said which her lip tightened.

 

 

“I-I’m fine, really,” Bora insisted and pressed the canes to the ground and move forward.

 

 

Siyeon was beside her, cautious as she’s worried Bora might fall. Dami clenched her jaw to the sight she’s seeing.

 

 

She can’t believe Siyeon’s expression when she got home from her errand. It was the first time she saw Siyeon with such a dreadful expression yet it looked like she was going to cry. It was the first time and it was an expression that amused her. And the way she princess carry Bora effortlessly amazed her, who knew Siyeon have such strength?

 

 

She hopped onto the auto-rickshaw when her two friends are already inside. Dami took a deep breath before turning the keys. It took her three tries but still didn’t start, she stopped for a second before turning it again for the fourth time. A feeling of relief washed over her body when the engine started, they can still go home.

 

 

The way from home was silent, Dami constantly glancing at her rearview mirror to watch Siyeon and Bora’s awkward gestures. She found it funny and a little smile escapes her lips.

 

 

They’ve reached home at dusk.

 

 

Bora fell asleep that’s why Siyeon decided to carry her, she put the smaller woman on her back. Dami got the canes and followed them. Siyeon took careful steps on the stairs, she can’t manage to fall since it’s not only her that’s at risk. Even if the stairs are already built, there’s no harm in being a little more cautious.

 

 

Once she successfully laid Bora in her bed, Siyeon let out an exhausted sigh and slid to the bed. She placed the back of her head to the bed, her body slumped to the floor. She heard the clanking of the canes and looked at the door. She saw Dami looking at her.

 

 

“Hot chocolate?” Dami asked, she nodded. “Go downstairs when you’re finished.”

 

 

She looked at the ceiling for a moment before turning her gaze to the peaceful sleeping woman. She caresses her cheek which made Bora groan, Siyeon retrieving her hand. She clenched her jaw before another sigh escaped her lips. She got up and removed herself from the room, taking a last glance before closing the door.

 

 

Siyeon got down, seeing the old woman on the rocking chair and Dami on the couch. She placed herself beside Dami and reached for the hot drink in front of her. She let out a trembly sigh, placing the cup back on the table. Siyeon’s body shake, all of the reactions that she suppressed are going out of control.

 

 

“I was so scared,” Siyeon opened up. “I—I’m so scared...”

 

 

Siyeon whined, keeping her tears from falling. Thoughts running around her mind, she doesn’t bother to look at Dami nor the old woman. She felt a hand to her shoulder, Dami now consoling her.

 

 

“I just don’t want to relive that past… I, I don’t want anyone to get hurt anymore,” Siyeon cried, her sobs uncontrollable this time.

 

 

“Dear, it’s not your fault,” The old woman assured. “You don’t need to own up to anything. Everything happens for a reason.”

 

 

“No…” Siyeon wailed. “I’m the one at fault. That’s why... that’s why my family’s gone… I’m always the one at fault. If I didn’t play with fire that time…”

 

 

“We’re not gone, see?” Dami’s attempted console, flexing her body to Siyeon. “We’re alive and kicking. And grandma’s alive, see?”

 

 

The old man shushed Dami which made Siyeon a little better but still the heaviness she felt did not go away. She was afraid and guilty. What happened to Bora before triggered her memory, she doesn’t want to relive her trauma and certainly, she doesn’t want Bora gone. She doesn’t want anyone she cares for to be gone. She doesn’t want to deal with the feeling of losing someone again.

 

 

The old woman got up and embraced Siyeon. The warmth and care she felt made her sob like a child. It's been so long since she let out this sadness she kept hidden. The painful memory when she was a kid got to her, the warm embrace of the old woman assuring her that everything will be all right but not ignoring the fact the now is not a pleasant time for her.

 

 

*******

 

 

“I can be your friend!” The child cried as the granddaughter of the person who adopted her ignored her. “I will do anything to be your friend.”

 

 

“No,” The kid decline. “You can’t do anything! My mommy won’t come back!”

 

 

“Please,” The child pleaded as the kid ran away towards her father.

 

 

The concerned look of the man affected her thus running away when he walked towards her. She cried in her room, the room she was given when she was adopted. Crying herself to sleep.

 

 

******

 

 

Siyeon opened her eyes, the stinging sensation from her eyes annoyed her. She noticed a blurry figure in front of her, silently staring.

 

 

“Good evening,” Bora greeted and leaned towards the rocking chair.

 

 

Siyeon sat and stares at Bora for a while. She looked outside, the sky was dark now.

 

 

“Dami said she will cover your shift,” Bora said. “She told me to take a look after you?”

 

 

Siyeon eyes widened.

 

 

“She told you to look after me? I should be the one doing that.” Siyeon pointed out. “And how did you climb down the stairs."

 

 

“I can still walk.”

 

 

Siyeon knows but she’s scared that Bora might stumble and fall. She doesn’t want her to hurt herself.

 

 

“You should just rest. Come, I’ll carry you upstairs.”

 

 

“Nope,” Bora refused. “I decided that I will be sleeping here in the meantime. It’s so hard to climb the stairs.”

 

 

Siyeon gave her the knowing look, noticing the pillows and the blanket on another chair. She decided to ready Bora’s quarter for a while which the latter greatly refused but she did anyway. Bora was pouting at her the whole time which she just ignored but found cute. She heads to Bora and kneels in front of her, the smaller woman flinching as Siyeon gently holds her injured leg.

 

 

“I should replace the bandage now. Wait here.”

 

 

Bora nodded and let Siyeon go to the kitchen, her heart beating erratically because of the woman’s actions. She sighs and calms herself as she grips on her chest, the searing feeling in her chest present. She jolted when she felt Siyeon came back. The latter tends to her leg, cleaning it before wrapping it again with bandages.

 

 

“This will scar,” Siyeon disappointingly sighed. “It’s a shame.”

 

 

“What’s a shame?” Bora innocently asked.

 

 

“Because you’re beautiful. That’s why is a shame.” Siyeon nonchalantly said. “You don’t deserve any scars.”

 

 

Bora gulped and felt her face heating up while Siyeon is still busy tending her leg. She took a deep breath and bite her lips, removing her stares away from Siyeon. It’s a harmless compliment by why does her heart screaming?

 

 

“All done.” Siyeon got up and looked at Bora’s still red face which concerned her. “Do you have a fever?”

 

 

She gently placed her hand on Bora’s forehead to feel her temperature but the latter gently removed it, it made Siyeon confused.

 

 

“I’m okay…” Bora assured. “Thank you for today… and all the other days when you look out for me.”

 

 

“No problem,” Siyeon immediately brushed it off and head to the kitchen but Bora grabbed her wrist.

 

 

“I… I don’t think I’ve done enough to repay you. I want to…”

 

 

Siyeon chuckles, just seeing Bora like this is enough for her amusement. She placed the bowl on the floor and hold Bora’s hand, kissing the back of it and say…

 

 

“Being by your side is enough,” Smiling so sweetly.

 

 

This time both of them did not hide the fact that it was embarrassing yet a pleasant feeling.

 

 

-------------------

 

A/N:

This will be my last update for now because exams are coming up and I wanna be a 3rd year student next school year! Hope y'all enjoying my story!