Me, You

My Tutor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Hanna was born, I became worried for her.

Because mom died.

We were a very wealthy family, yet all the money in the world couldn't save her.

We were hit with bankruptcy right after. My father gave up everything to pay them off.

Then, suicided.

Why were you so selfish, father? Weren't we your children?

I had these thoughts for a long time, I was aggressive and didn't see a point in anything.

Grandma tried her best with me, but I was stubborn, not believing anything she told me about the way I’m supposed to live from now on.

All adults do is lie.

And I was too ashamed, pitied myself.

But as I started taking care of Hanna, my heart ached for her. She needed me. She will need me until she is someone else' to take care of.

I hated how our life changed within a single night. My grandfathers' only self-built property was where we could live with our grandma, but in order to have a good life, I needed a good education and I kept helping her day and night to save enough and leave the village.

I soon realized; living was too expensive.

I added all the charges: my train ticket, my housing, my meals, my stationery and books, and my other necessities and much more.

Just a month cost too much.

I was too stubborn to ask my grandmother for any money, believing I had to work for everything myself. Taking help from others meant I was not capable enough, which was wrong. I am capable. I surely can handle this.

Studying was the easiest thing to do, so I studied very hard in our local village and eventually got selected for a scholarship.

My angel of a grandma came along with me and brought Hanna too. At that moment, I was thinking how am I supposed to care for them when I don’t even know if I will have a roof over my head?

“Your grandfather and I owned an old shop before in the city.”

I was surprised, I kept imagining a wonderful shop where we could try making ends meet.

 

Grandma bought the shop again from the new owners by paying all her savings.

It was a shabby shop that looked like it was from a hundred years ago.

I argued and asked my grandma why she didn’t give me the money to support myself and paid for such a place instead.

“You never asked.”

She was right. How could I expect such when I never asked?

“Besides, you will be here for a long time. That money would last you a year but no more. Do you plan on coming back to the village?”

No, I didn’t. I hugged my grandma realizing why she bought this place for me. We went upstairs and finally had separate rooms. I cried tears of joy when I saw Hanna will be living with me. She was my drive; I couldn’t imagine living without her.

“Now, my child, I will teach you how to feed yourself and others. You will never go hungry in the food business. If you listen to me, of course!” My grandma laughed.

I gladly did every work required of me. She taught me how to handle the business and I followed each step carefully. Rush hour never seemed to be too bad when grandma was around but when she was gone, I felt like my body will break any second.

But Hanna would smile at me from where she’d be sitting in the kitchen, talking to me, serving beverages to the customers and setting plates on their table. All in the mere age of six.

 

“I don’t like living here” she said one hot summer day.

Her body was filled with mosquito bumps. Cold showers eased the pain but the sweat later on never helped it getting better.

“I promise we will move to a much better place. We will make this the best place for us too! Just hold on a bit. It has only been two months.”

 

Scoring high worked to my advantage. The school offered me full scholarship and I studied every night after work. Sleeping more than four hours would be a miracle for me.

I learned ne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter