LWTY 5

ALL ABOUT US

It was already almost two weeks how Dahyun started to attend university. She got a lot of attention and interest from students sometimes from professors. Important to mention, she often sees the popular girls and boys around the campus and Sana was not an exception. Sana indeed remains a strong reputation on the campus. Some of them fond of the girl and some of them preserved hatred.

Dahyun holds a neutral and humble position in the university. She avoids personal questions and actively participates in class discussions. Dahyun often gets excited by controversial topics but she sure loves to talk about philosophy and art to some extend. Dahyun had already access to fundamental program courses so she studied with second-year students.

While Sana has already checked all information about Dahyun. She knows that Dahyun graduated high school in Spain and considered a foreign student in the student portal. It was easy to find data since she preserved quite well position in the university. She knew that she takes all the fundamental courses since Nayeon studied in the same course as her. Nayeon notably admired and hearing all small stories made Sana curious. She wanted to meet with her and talk but she never had a chance because of student meetings. One day out of interest, Sana asked Nayeon’s schedule and figured out that she would have time to meet her and talk in Starbucks.

It was Friday and class of Intro to Art and Religion which ends around five o’clock in the afternoon.

Nayeon always remained a high GPA and often participates in class discussions but not in this class. She poorly participated since she felt that she is not able to construct her own vision which ties with art and religion. It was indeed challenging. Even though the presence of Dahyun makes her strangely enthusiastic. She frequently but attentively observes her: her reaction, answers to question, and face that shows satisfaction whenever she talks.

 

Professor Park is an observant and careful person. She notices the pressure and alien atmosphere whenever Dahyun talks. The pale girl attracts attention and interest from students. Some of them unknowingly comment and show certain participation but seeing the curiosity of Nayeon and stoic plus confident aura of Dahyun made interesting her boring course this fall semester.
Professor Park notably loves Dahyun. When the professor started to talk about one of the preeminent works of world literature of the Comedy’s three sections—“Inferno”, “Purgatorio” and “Paradiso”, she noticed a small smile on Dahyun’s face. As professor started describing Dante’s brutal descent into the underworld, journey through purgatory, and eventual arrival in paradise. She wanted to know students’ vision about hell.
Dante’s vision of hell, Dahyun thought, rendered here in living color.

“Dahyun, I assume you won’t be greedy to share with your knowledge….” Professor Park seemingly stated. “I think I will take some time to explain his vision and idea of the piece. Don’t you mind?”

“I don’t mind, I see some of them interested,” Professor Park said and sat comfortably.

“Okay, I will try to be quick and short regarding Dante’s work Inferno. Basically, it means “hell” and far the most widely read and memorable part of the Divine comedy. Inferno had quite literally redefined medieval perceptions of damnation. Never before had the concept of hell captivated the masses in such an entertaining way. Overnight, Dante’s work solidified the abstract concept of hell into a clear and terrifying vision—visceral, palpable, and unforgettable.
Not surprisingly, following the poem’s release, the Catholic Church enjoyed an enormous uptick in attendance from terrified sinners looking to avoid Dante’s updated version of the underworld. And I want to greatly mention Botticelli’s depiction. Dante’s horrific vision of hell was constructed as a subterranean funnel of suffering —a wretched underground landscape of fire, brimstone, sewage, monsters, and Satan himself waiting at its core.
The pit was constructed in nine distinct levels, the Nine Rings of Hell, into which sinners were cast in accordance with the depth of their sin. Near the top, the lustful or “carnal malefactors” were blown about by an eternal windstorm, a symbol of their inability to control their desire. Beneath them, the gluttons were forced to lie facedown in a vile slush of sewage, their mouths filled with the product of their excess. Deeper still, the heretics were trapped in flaming coffins, damned to eternal fire. And so it went … getting worse and worse the deeper one descended. In the seven centuries since its publication, Dante’s enduring vision of hell had inspired tributes, translations, and variations by some of history’s greatest creative minds. Longfellow, Chaucer, Marx, Milton, Balzac, Borges, and even several popes had all written pieces based on Dante’s Inferno. Monteverdi, Liszt, ……. – this time Dahyun stopped and tried to recall some names until Nayeon blurted out the following names – “Wagner, Tchaikovsky, and Puccini”.

“That’s right, thank you Nayeon. They actually composed pieces based on Dante’s work. Even the modern world of video games and iPad apps had no shortage of Dante-related offerings. I think it is fair enough Dr. Park” Dahyun turned her head to Nayeon and respectfully bowed with her head and pleasantly smiled. While Nayeon shyly smiled and felt a sort of satisfaction. Professor Park stands and smile plastered on her face.

“Thank you Dahyun and Nayeon. It is surprisingly warm to my heart. Okay, let’s move to the second point” so the class continued with familiarizing.

As the class ended, Dahyun got her bag but strange two girls stand in front of her while others exited from the classroom without any interest. There were two girls and Nayeon who were observing not from far until she notices Sana in the entrance.

“Hello Dahyun, I am Seron and Juyeon. Sorry for the interruption but we are here clearly with good intention” one of the girls acted too friendly and held Dahyun’s left hand. “You know we wanted to be your friends since you were always alone, we should be friends and support you know…. I heard you are a newbie here so we could help you with that” Seron muttered and she kept holding Dahyun’s hand. While Sana stands there with Nayeon. They knew that these two girls' intention was far from good. Dahyun harshly removed her hand and said “I am not interested in your intention and request for the social circle of the university and friendly relationships are dangerous. They lend themselves to ambiguities, misunderstandings, and conflicts, and they always end badly. Formal relationships, on the other hand, are as clear as spring water. Their rules are carved in stone. There’s no risk of being misunderstood and they last forever. I hope I explain clearly my state” there was strong and stoic emphasization in her voice. Dahyun was indeed irritated. She excused herself and directed her to exit until she saw Sana and Nayeon standing in the entrance. However, Dahyun brushed her shoulder off and continued walking forward.

“Such a ” Juyeon muttered and tried to excuse herself with Seron but Sana grabbed her hand and said “Don’t mess with Dahyun or you will have problems with me”

Sana walked off and hurried to stop Dahyun. However, she sees the girl who already standing near the building entrance and getting a cold beverage from the machine.

“Are you avoiding me?” Sana said getting closer to Dahyun. Sana finds it a little bizarre how she misseses a familiar person. Part of her believes that it is destiny that they met.

“No. I don’t think so” Dahyun said and remained in her place and had no absolute reason to avoid the older girl.

“Then have a cup of coffee with me?” Sana said with anticipation her positive answer

“I can’t. I need to go. Pardon me” Dahyun said and turned her head and smiled. She walked lazily holding her cold bottle of water until she heard Sana next statement

“Danny” Sana needs her and she doesn’t know why she keeps thinking about her. “I missed you, Danny,” Sana said with so much sincerity in her voice. The sentence was so much alien for Dahyun but hearing from Sana gives so much euphoric feelings that she is ready to lose herself.