006

Someone's Someone

 

 

 

“I don’t understand, you have to fly out to meet them? But they’re the ones who need your help.” Jaehee said as she leaned back on the sofa, the carelessly stretched her legs before her as she looked at the screen.

“It’s kind of a formality, their people have been flying back and forth for months now. Can you pass me the popcorn?”

The two were at the upstairs living room waiting to be called for lunch, the Lee elders usually invited Hyungwon over every other week. It was something they’ve been doing for years.

“I prepared my stuff for the surfing trip.”

“What did you pack?” Hyungwon let out a small yawn, he saw Juyeon waving at them from the stairs, he nudged Jaehee.

“It’s time to eat.” He stood up, the girl walked after him, Hyungwon gestured for her to fix her hair as they went down.

“I packed a couple of swimsuits?”

“What kind?”

“For swimming?”

“Did you pack the ones you can wear while surfing?” Hyungwon tugged on the hem of her shirt as it had hiked up to the waistband of her jeans.

“How is that different from a bikini? You also get soaked when your surf, right?” Jaehee muttered as she walked ahead of him, Hyungwon sighed at the girl.

“I’ll check your bag later.” He muttered, Jaehee snorted and they entered the dining hall. Jaehee plopped down beside Juyeon and started eating. Hyungwon took his usual seat beside Mr. Lee and the two men started talking.

“Hyungwon, you seem a lot busier these days. You should take care of your health.” Mrs. Lee began, Jaehee reached for the salad and Juyeon put some on her plate.

“A little, auntie. There’s been a lot of changes in the office lately, I feel bad if I appear slacking off.” He mused, the lady chuckled.

“Slacking off? I barely see him nowadays, he’s always in his office.” Jaehee stated, Hyungwon rolled his eyes at her.

“That’s just right, Jaehee if you’re always around him then he’ll never get married at this point.”

“Now, it’s my fault? Not his wretched personality? I don’t even know how Heejin puts up with him.” She replied, Juyeon chuckled while chewing.

“What about you, daughter? You’ve been out and about lately, still no one? Not one man has caught your eye?” Mr. Lee spoke, Hyungwon watched in glee as his friend shrunk on her seat.

“Right, what about you? No boyfriend? If I remember correctly, there was this one guy who sent you flowers at your~”

“Chae Hyungwon!” She hissed at him, Mrs. Lee grew amused and just put more pasta on her daughter’s plate.

“Anyway, Jaehee, I need you to drop by Mrs. Hwang’s later, it’s about those flowers~”

“But her shop does not have a parking slot, eomma. And the driver~”

“I’ll drive you, start eating.” Hyungwon shushed her, Jaehee beamed at him and started eating. The two elders shook their heads at each other as three young one started to chat amongst themselves.

 

 

 

“Why does Juyeon consume so much food?” Jaehee murmured as she pushed the cart forward, she had a shopping list in hand and her phone in the other. Chanyeol had called a few minutes ago, informing her that he’d pick up her tomorrow. She pursed her lips, a little unsure about that. What if her parents saw?

Surely, they’d ask questions if they see her getting in another man’s car.

She shook her head, not wanting to think about it yet. The girl pushed the cart and made her way towards the dairy section, she was about to reach for a pack of banana milk when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

“Unnie,”

She turned and smiled, Heejin chuckled and grabbed the pack for her.

“I didn’t expect running into you here,” Jaehee said as the younger girl put the box on her cart.

“I ran out of groceries at my place, and I figured it’s the perfect excuse to the leave work. Are you alone?”

“Yes, Juyeon’s at school.”

Heejin looked around again, Jaehee paused, amused.

“Hyungwon didn’t come with me, if you’re looking for him. Which, I know you are.” Jaehee teasingly said, Heejin grew flustered and she nodded.

“How’s Seoul treating you so far?” Jaehee asked as they girl walked with her.

“It’s good to be home, I had to catch up with a lot of things and meet up with old friends. But, I’m having fun. I like being back.”

“We should schedule lunch again, that other time was just so random. Maybe someplace nicer?”

“That sounds great, unnie.” Heejin nodded back, Jaehee checked her list again.

“But, unnie,”

“Hmm?”

“Things are still the same, right?”

“What?” Jaehee asked, a little distracted, Juyeon had scribbled at least seven different types of chips at the back of the paper.

“Hyungwon oppa.”

Jaehee turned to her, her lips quirked up.

“You mean, if he’s still single? Same as before you left?”

Heejin nodded meekly, her cheeks turning pink. Jaehee let out a small laugh and hooked arms with her.

“He is, you know him. Hyungwon doesn’t really enjoy going out, not the type to open up to new people too.”

“But, he opens up to you.”

“It’s not an advantage, I tell you.” Jaehee grinned, Heejin smiled back.

“Unnie,”

“Hmm?”

“Will…you help me?”

Jaehee stopped walking and she faced the girl, Heejin looked uncertain, but she was waiting for her to answer.

“You…You must really like him.”

“Before, I thought it was just a crush. I thought that it would just go away, unnie. But, even while I was away, it….it’s still him.”

“That Chae Hyungwon?” Jaehee mused at her, Heejin shyly nodded.

“Okay, you know I’m on your side.”

 

 

 

Jaehee slid down from the car and looked around them, it had been a while since she was at a coastal area. It felt refreshing, and a little odd.

She turned her head and saw Chanyeol walking to his friends while the hotel staff unloaded their bags, Jaehee walked around the car and picked up her backpack.

“Jaehee, hi!”

She waved back at them, Chanyeol jogged to her.

“We’re unloading some of the gear by the beach, do you want to rest in the room first?”

“I’ll go freshen, I’ll check in for everyone.” Jaehee nodded, Chanyeol smiled before leaning over to kiss the side of her head and he headed off.

Jaehee got inside the lobby and walked towards the front desk, she took out her ID and soon she was guided to a suite.

She plopped down on the couch and faced the windows, the calm waves of the beach greeted her with warmth. She puffed her cheeks and checked her phone.

Noona, I used your car.

Have fun. Be safe. -Juyeon

She smiled before sending him a thumbs up emoji, and her brows went up.

You there?

She stood up and walked towards the room, she changed into a pair of ripped denim shorts and a loose shirt, her phone pinged and she jogged back to the living room.

What? -Hyungwon

She smiled to herself before typing.

Lunch on Monday? Heejin wants to meet up.

His reply came a few seconds later, telling her that lunch would be fine. Jaehee left the room and made her way towards the beach, she saw Chanyeol with his friends, they were setting up their surfing equipment while listening to some music.

“It’s a miracle Jaehee agreed to go, she’s always busy. Or being antisocial?” One of his friends spoke, Jaehee paused as the latter chuckled.

“She’s usually busy. I like that she came with us.”

“Exactly, I don’t know how you put up with that. She barely has the time for you, plus, you’re pretty gutsy to be dating one of them.”

“Them?” Chanyeol repeated, Jaehee was about to step forward, but he spoke.

“Them, as in the rich kids?” Chanyeol laughed and shook his head.

“Yes, them.” His friend said in a teasing manner.

“It’s not easy, sometimes she can get picky and a bit insensitive, but it’s okay. Most of them are like that.” Chanyeol replied, Jaehee chewed on the insides of her cheeks.

“Why? Because she’s pretty?”

“Yes, because she’s pretty, now, stop talking about her. She might hear us.”

 

 

 

“Why do you like coming unannounced?” Hyungwon said as his friend, Lee Minhyuk waltzed into his separate receiving room which was adjacent to his office.

“I was at a meeting, this better be important,”

“It’s not.” Minhyuk admitted, clearly not guilty. He plopped down on one of the chairs and put the coffee on the table.

“I was in the area and decided to drop by.”

Hyungwon shook his head at him before taking a seat, he picked up one of the drinks.

“The company is throwing this fundraiser next week, and I can’t reach Jaehee. I would like to invite her.”

“Jaehee’s out of town.” Hyungwon said before taking a small sip.

“Where?”

“She went with her boyfriend on a surfing trip.”

Minhyuk choked on his coffee and he started to chuckle, Hyungwon’s lips quirked up. He knew the other male would find it hilarious.

“Lee Jaehee? Surfing trip?”

“Yes.”

“Things must be getting serious then,” Minhyuk commented, Hyungwon shrugged back, he took his phone out and set it on the table.

“I mean, taking trips together and~”

“It’s a trip to the beach.” The other male pointed out, Minhyuk nodded before speaking.

“Exactly, they’re getting serious. It won’t be long until you lose your best friend then.” Minhyuk cackled, Hyungwon didn’t react and continued drinking.

“They’ll get married, and surely, he wouldn’t like it if his wife is always around you. You should start getting used to it, no more Jaehee.” Minhyuk continued while crossing his legs.

Hyungwon got his phone and typed in a text.

How’s the beach?

Her reply was almost instantaneous, she sent him a picture of what looked like a couch.

The beach is fine, it’ll live without me. -Jaehee

Hyungwon’s brows went up before replying.

Why are you at the room?

I don’t feel like having frizzy hair for the rest of the day.

And surfing looks like it hurt. – Jaehee

“Hey, I heard Heejin’s back.” Minhyuk spoke, Hyungwon looked at him.

“Yes, she is.”

“So, are you finally going to give her a chance? She really likes you.”

“She’s~” His phone buzzed again.

I want to go home. The food here is weird.

Send help. Please. – Jaehee

Hyungwon chuckled and put his phone down.

“She’s just a friend, drop it.”

“Still, give her a chance. She’s always been sincere about you.”

“Let’s step out for a bit,” Hyungwon said as he stood up, Minhyuk picked up his coat and walked after his friend.

“Why? You have another meeting?”

“Let’s check if the café across the street does deliveries.”

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++