Story of my past

The red string of fate

"Has it been three months already?" Heejin asked while wiping the outdoor table. 

Yoonjung picked up one bottle from the floor and threw it inside the bin. "Yeah." 

"... and you still haven't told each other about your past?" 

"yup." 

"Are you planning to?" 

"Of course. I just don't know when."

"Why do you have to wait so long? it's not like there was anything special about your past relationship. You guys fell in love, he turned out to be an indecisive j***. So, even though it took you forever to do it, you guys broke up." Heejin said flatly while dropping herself on the chair. She used to like Seojoon, but after his repetitive actions that hurt Yoonjung, Heejin wished nothing for him but misery in return.

"Don't say that. He's not a j***. He was confused, that is all."

Heejin rolled her eyes. "whatever." 

Yoonjung smacked the back of her chair with the broom in her hand, "Get back to work." 

Heejin jumped up and moved on to wipe the other table. "Since it's your third month anniversary, don't you think it's the perfect time to finally have that conversation?" 

"Maybe."

Truth be told, it wasn't that Yoonjung didn't want to share her story to Kang, it was more that she didn't want to hear his. Ignorance is bliss. She learned that while being in relationship with Seojoon. Seojoon was a very open and honest boyfriend. He would tell her every single details about his day, his plan for tomorrow. While she appreciated it, and in fact it was one of the reason why she loved him so, but he could have saved her from a lot of heartache by keeping some details to himself. A hurtful truth is a truth that you have no control over. That kind of truth, is one that is best not to be known. 

She has absolutely no control over Kang's past, so she knew that it would give her nothing but fears and worries. But she has a gut feeling that she needs to know about his past relationship with Arin, because she -somehow- knew that they still have present relationship.

"By the way, any progress with Myungsoo?" Yoonjung tried to change the topic.

"What progress? I have never seen him again since that day we went clubbing." Heejin said with displeased tone. "I texted him a lot, but he always answer with one short word. 'yes' 'no' 'okay' 'nothing' 'cool'."

Yoonjung laughed, "So you're giving up?"

"Of course not." Heejin turned around and point her thumb at herself, "I don't give up." 

"Do you like him that much?"

"Nah. It's more curious than anything. Not to mention he's so good looking."

Yoonjung laughed. She suddenly heard a familiar sound from afar. When she turned around, she managed to get a glimpse of red motorbike driving passed in a distance. It was too far to see for sure, but near enough to tell that it was Kang's motorbike. It went out of view within seconds but she could see clearly that there was someone sitting behind Kang. 

She took her phone out and dialled Kang's number. Hoping that she was mistaken. Hoping that he would pick up the call and tell her he's somewhere, not riding his bike with someone else. but he didn't. he didn't even pick up her call. 

"What happened?" Heejin asked.

"I think I saw Kang riding his motorbike."

"Really?"

"But he was with someone "

"Huh? Are you sure?"

​​​​​​"Not 100%, but quite sure."

"Maybe he was with Myungsoo?" Heejin asked with a little hint of excitement in her voice, hoping to see Myungsoo again.

Yoonjung shook his head with a frown, "I am very sure it was a girl."

Heejin didn't say anything for a few seconds before patting her in the back, "I am sure it was no one special. He knows this is where you work, so if it was someone special, he wudnt be that stupid to bring her to this area."

What Heejin said makes sense, but still, Yoonjung couldn't get rid of the fear in her head.

"Anyways, don't trouble yourself too much just yet. Just ask him later."

 

--------------

 

"I saw you today." Yoonjung said as soon as they stepped inside Kang's apartment. 

"Oh really? Where? Why didnt you say hi?" Kang said with his normal gentle face. It definitely was not a face of someone who is hiding something.

"Near my shop." Yoonjung sat on the sofa awkwardly. She sat on the edge, as if getting ready to run away. "You were on your bike... With someone else."

Kang was in the middle of pouring water in a glass but he stopped for a second before continuing, "i see."

"Who was it with you?"

Kang walked over to her and passed the glass of water, "that was Arin."

"I see..." Yoonjung looked down at her hands.

Kang lowered himself in front of her, "hey... If you dont want me to see her again, I won't."

She looked up and finally braved herself to ask the question, "why did you guys break up?"

Kang sat down on the sofa next to her. "We fought... A lot. In the end it was too much for us, so we decided to end it."

"Do you still love her?"

"Not in that way, I dont." 

"In what way, then?" 

"I still care about her as a friend, nothing more." Kang leaned backwards while looking up the ceiling. His voice was trailing, not much confidence in what he said. He turned his head, "what about you? Why did you and Seojoon broke up?"

"Our relationship pretty much ended long before we even broke up." She shrugged.

"What do you mean?"

"He fell for someone else."

"He cheated on you?" Kang sat up abruptly. 

"No." She shooked her head "he didn't realize his feeling for her, but the moment he did, he stopped seeing her, as a friend I meant. But things changed between us. It was not the same ever since."

"So you broke up with him?"

She nodded. "I could see he was troubled. Every time we are together, it was as if he was not there with me."

Kang scratched his face. He had mixed feeling between angry at Seojoon and also at himself. 

"Look." Kang looked at her, "i meant what i said. If you want me to stop meeting Arin, I will."

She hates herself for not being able to say yes, but she knew it wouldn't be right, so instead she shook her head. 

He pulled her in for a hug, "i know we didn't start our relationship in a conventional way. We barely knew each other then. But you are my girlfriend in every way, nothing less."

Yoonjung buried her face on his chest, hoping that she won't regret her answer.

 

-------------------