I might fall in love

The red string of fate

 

Days, weeks and even months passed by. 

She hasn't seen him ever since that day. Why do I care anyway? she kept asking herself, but failed to find the answer. 

"What are you thinking about?" Seojoon spoke, breaking her train of thoughts.

She looked up at Seojoon, who was walking next to her. He is so tall she feels like it always give her neck pain to talk to him. "Nothing" she answered shortly.

"Come on, tell me. What's bothering you?" he poked her shoulder with his elbow.

"Nothing that you should be concerned with." she replied.

"Ooooh. so cold." Seojoon pretended to shiver, "This is not the girl that i fell for." 

Yoonjung slapped his arm, "I told you to stop joking about that."

"Ok." Seojoon's smile changed to a flat serious face, "This is not the girl that i fell for, seriously."

She rolled her eyes. "Obviously, or else we would still be together."

"Nice comeback." he laughed out loud.

"So, what do you want to do today?" Yoonjung asked.

"It's cold today, so maybe we should stay indoor." Seojoon put both hands inside his jacket's pockets. "Shall we watch movie?"

"I thought you're tough guy. How can you be so weak when it comes to cold?" 

"Because I have a sensitive heart?" 

She slapped his arm again, this time while laughing. 

Suddenly there was a loud revving sound followed by motorbike, stopping right in front of Yoonjung and Seojoon. 

Seojoon stepped in front of Yoonjung instinctively, in a protective pose. 

The biker stopped and opened the visor. 

"Hi!" he greeted the two cheerfully. 

"you!" Yoonjung gasped in surprise, still half hiding behin Seojoon.

Seojoon turned to Yoonjung, "You know him?" 

"Not really..." she replied in a mutter. 

"What a coincidence." Kang took off his helmet. "Do you live in this neighborhood, too?" 

"Who are you?" Seojoon asked.

"Oh, forgive me." Kang put his motorbike on the centerstand and reached his hand out, "My name is Song Kang." 

"Are you friends with Yoonjung?"

"Yes."

"No!" 

Both Kang and Yoonjung answered at the same time. 

"What are you doing here?" Yoonjung asked.

"I told you, I live in this area." Kang answered, "you should know, you know my address, right?"

Now that she thought about it, she did know his address because she sent him off on the taxi that day. True enough, they do live in the same neighborhood, she didn't even notice it before.

"OK, maybe I'll see you around," Kang told her before moving his attention to Seojoon, "It's nice to meet you."

Kang put his helmet back on, got back on his bike and drove off, left as soon as when he appeared.

Seojoon looked at Yoonjung with suspicous look. 

"What?" Yoonjung asked.

"Is he the reason why you looked troubled?"

"What?? no!" flusterred, she started walking, leaving Seojoon behind.

With his long legs, he caught up to her in no time. "I am right, right? is he bothering you? like stalking you or something?"

"No, definitely not." 

"Oh!" Seojoon stopped on his feet. 

Yoonjung turned around to check on him.

"Don't tell me... you like him."

"What? no, I don't. Don't be funny. Come on. I thought you want to watch movie.

"He is good looking, but definitely not better looking than me. I'm sure I am nicer too. What is it that you like about him? The motorbike?"

"Stop talking about him and let's just go." She said. 

*TRrrrrrr*

Within seconds after his phone started ringing, Seojoon picked up the call. "Halo. Now?... ok." 

Seojoon looked at Yoonjung apologetically after ending the call. 

"Go." Yoonjung said.

"So sorry. I'll call you." he patted her head and left. 

Yoonjung watched him leave and sighed. Even after years, it still hurts the same way. The only difference was that it was easier for her to move on. 

'What a waste if I go back home now....' she muttered to herself and then decided to take a walk around the neighborhood. 

"Yoonjung!" someone called out.

She turned and saw Kang was sitting on a long chair outside the snack shop next to the crossroads, eating ice cream. Her feet took steps towards him before she even realised what she was doing. 

"Why are you alone? where is your boyfriend?" he asked while patting the empty space next to he. 

Without resistance, she sat down there. "He's not my boyfriend." she answered while watching the empty road. 

"Do you want?" Kang offered his ice cream. 

She frowned, "Why are you eating ice cream in such cold weather?" 

"No reason." he shrugged. 

There was silence between them for a little while. But somehow to her, it wasn't an uncomfortable silence. In fact right there and then, she was glad that she bumped into him again. 

"How long were you guys together for?" Kang asked, breaking the silence.

"What?" 

"you said he's not your boyfriend, but I am sure at one point he was." 

She neither acknowledge nor deny it. 

"It looks like you guys are still in good terms. Why did you guys break up?" 

"Why do people break up, really? we just stopped loving each other." 

"You  at lying, do you know that?" Kang laughed softly. 

"Even if it is, if we keep telling ourselves it's the truth, maybe one day it will be..."

"Go out with me." he cut her off.

Yoonjung turned her head abruptly. She looked at Kang with both eyes wide open. 

 

 

-------------------------