I (didn't) fall in love

The red string of fate

"It's quiet tonight..." Heejin said while tapping her fingers on the counter. Working in 24/7 convenient store means there are times when you get shifts at an oddly hour. Not to mention when you have manager who is indiscriminate towards gender, so everyone gets equal night and day shift in a month. 

"Good for me... I am so tired." Yoonjung stretched her arms up and twisted her body from left to right. 

"What time do you have to go tomorrow?"

"5am."

"5?? but our shift only ends at 2." Heejin looked up at the clock.

"Yes, which is why..." Yoonjung patted Heejin on the shoulder, "you're it." she said before walking towards the staff room. 

"yah!" even though she was complaining, she didn't stop Yoonjung from going inside to rest. She knew that Yoonjung was taking multiple part time jobs and that Yoonjung had to do them to pay for her bills.

Yoonjung sat on the chair in the staff room and rested her head on the table. She has been working for almost 12 hours non-stop. Tomorrow she have to leave early to send a package out of town. She closed her eyes and within seconds she fell asleep. but before long into her sleep, suddenly she heard a scream. 

"STOP IT!" 

Yoonjung jumped off the chair and rushed outside the room. She spotted Heejin near the entrance door, pulling someone's arm. It looks like the man was grabbing things from the rack and throwing them aimlessly all over the place. 

Heejin spotted Yoonjung and shouted, "Yoonjung, help!" 

Yoonjung ran towards them and quickly grabbed the man's other hand. Despite the two of them now working together to stop the man, they were still overpowered. At one point, the man lost his balance, causing him to bump into Heejin, and sent her to fall backward. 

"Heejin!" feeling frustrated, Yoonjung grabbed the man by the collar, tripped his leg and threw him off. 

The man landed hard on the floor. He grunted, rolling in pain. 

Yoonjung then grabbed two bottles of water from the fridge and pour the whole content on his face. 

"Cold!" the man complained, trashing around all wet like fish out of the water.

Yoonjung crouched down and threatened to pour the second bottle on him, "are you going to snap out of it now or do you want me to call the police?" 

"no no no, wait." the man raised both hands in effort to stop Yoonjung from calling the police, "Don't call the police." 

Yoonjung got up and rushed to Heejin's side, who was still sitting down on the floor, "are you okay?"

Heejin nodded, but her face still looked stunned, feeling traumatized more than anything else. 

"why don't you go to the back? I will take care of this." Yoonjung helped her get up on her feet.

"Are you sure we don't need to call the police?" Heejin asked while walking towards the phone on the counter, seemed more determined to call the police than not.

Yoonjung shook her head, "It's ok." 

Heejin obliged though still keeping her hand on the phone just in case Yoonjung changed her mind.

Yoonjung returned her attention back to the man, who was lying on the floor with both hands sprawled open. He barely made any movements. She poked him on the arm, "get up." 

With much struggle, the man slowly sat up. 

"give me your wallet."

"huh? what?" still looking down, he mumbled a reply out of his mouth.

"Your wallet. Now." Yoonjung said while backing away. She could smell alcohol from him, a very strong one.

The man barely managed to get his wallet out of his back pocket. 

Impatient, She snatched it from his hand then gave instruction to Heejin. "Can you get me a permanent marker?" 

Heejin quickly passed the marker to Yoonjung. "Thanks. Can you help me call taxi?" Yoonjung asked her again.

Heejin went outside to do just that. Yoonjung grabbed the man's hand and started writing something on his palm. 

Heejin came back around 5 minutes later. With much effort, both of them managed to get the man inside the taxi. Using the address that she got from his ID card, she sent him off after giving money to the taxi driver, also using money that she took from his wallet. 

"What did you write on his hand?" Heejin asked while cleaning up the aftermath mess in the store. 

"That he should come back here and get his wallet." she gave a mysterious smile while holding the man's wallet up.

"let me see." Heejin took the wallet and picked his ID card out. "Oh look, he is the same age as us. Woww... he's handsome."

Yoonjung ignored her. 

"Don't you think so?" Heejin asked while shoving the card in front of Yoonjung's face.

Yoonjung paused for a few seconds before finally replying sarcastically, "yes oh so handsome. I think I fell in love at the first sight." 

Heejin laughed.

"Can we finish this quick? I want to go back to sleep." Yoonjung said.

"Luckily you were around. If it were just me..."

"If it was just you, you should call the police." 

"Why didn't you?" Heejin asked. 

Yoonjung didn't answer. She didn't know either. Normally, she would police rightaway when that kind of disturbance happen, but she didn't. Was it because that guy was handsome? no, she's not that type. Look did not matter to her. 

"Don't tell me...." Heejin smirked mischiveously, "you really fell in love with him?"

"Don't be ridiculous." Yoonjung waved her hand dismissively, "anyway, I won't be in tomorrow. So can you settle the wallet thing?" 

"I would be happy too." Heejin said in a singing voice. 

"crazy girl." Yoonjung muttered. 

 

******************************************