I can take care of myself

The red string of fate

Kang bit his lip in frustration. "I am in dilemma." 

"Why?" Yoonjung asked.

"I don't want to be a bossy boyfriend, but at the same time I don't want other guys to see you looking like this."

"Like what?" she frowned.

"What do you mean 'like what'?" he was baffled, "you look very beautiful. Not that you are not usually beautiful, which you are. I mean, you even wore a dress. I have never seen you in a dress before."

She rolled her eyes, "Let's go. Heejin is waiting for us there." 

"fine." he sighed. "But wear this first. It's cold outside." he shrugged off his jacket and placed it on her shoulder.

She put her hands inside the sleeves. It was big and warm. it smells good, like him. 

"Oh, where is your motorbike?" Yoonjung asked belatedly.

"We are taking taxi tonight. I can't take care of you on a motorbike if you're drunk."

"Ok."

 

------------------------

 

 

"Yoonjung!!" Heejin waved her hand frantically while jumping up and down. 

"Heejin!" Yoonjung ran and hug Heejin. 

"I am so excited!! I can finally go clubbing with you." Heejin spoke loudly.

"OK, don't get too excited just yet. We are not even inside yet." 

"Well, what are you waiting for then, let's go!" she was about to go inside when a man grabbed her hand and stopped her from moving.

"There's a big group in front of us. Let's wait for them to go in first." the man spoke to her and then turned to Yoonjung. "Hi Yoonjung." 

"Hi oppa." she replied and then belatedly introduced him to Kang. "Oh, this is Heejin's brother, Haesoo."

"Halo, sir." Kang awkwardly greeted him the formal way. 

Haesoo response with a mere nod. It seems like he wasn't particulary fond of Kang. But he was never fond to any man in Heejin's life, even if it's her friend's boyfriend. 

"Ok, they went inside already. Let's go." 

After waiting for a while, the four people finally entered the club. 

As expected, it was crowded and noisy. It took much effort for them to get into the main hall. There were too many people standing and dancing even on the sides.

"Are you okay?" Kang asked.

She nodded nervously. 

"Where is Heejin?" Kang looked around.

"I don't know." Yoonjung shrugged.

"Will she be okay?" 

"Yes. Haesoo will make sure that she is." she stood on her toes so she could speak close to Kang's ear. 

"OK, come, let's get you a drink." Kang held her hand tight and led her through the crowd.  

​​​​​After much effort, they managed to get a spot on the bar.

"What do you want to drink?" Kang asked. He stood behind her to make sure she didn't get push by people.

"Four shots please!" Heejin appeared out of nowhere, with Haesoo sticking next to her.

"I think we should go slow." Kang said to Heejin.

"No, the fun have to start now." Heejin took four glasses of shots from the bartender and distributed them one by one.

"For life!" Heejin raised her glass up. The others follow though with much less excitement.

Yoonjung drank the shot in one go. She felt the unfamiliar burning sensation on . 

"Are you ok?" Kang leaned forward to check on her.

She nodded with tear in the corner of her eyes. "so strong."

 Kang laughed. "Ok, let's just get water for you ok?"

Despite his plan, Heejin kept interrupting and ordering more alcohol for Yoonjung. After a while Haesoon finally stepped in and stopped his sister from drinking.

"Come on." Haesoon held her shoulder and pulled her away from the bar. 

Kang took his phone out of the pocket. The screen was flashing.

"Sorry." Kang told Yoonjung before turning around and picked up the call.

Yoonjung stared at his back that was facing her. 

"You have to keep an eye of your drink at all times." Someone spoke on her other side.

Yoonjung quickly turned her head and saw a stranger stood next to her. He was holding her cup in his hand.

"This can get you in a very dangerous situation." 

"One... Like now?" Yoonjung replied.

He smiled. "I'm Myungsoo."

"oh!" Yoonjung remember the name of Kang's friend that will be joining them that night. "It's nice to meet you."

Myungsoo took a glance at Kang, who still havent noticed his presence.

"So, you and Kang..."

"Yeah.. haha" she laughed awkwardly.

"Do you know about Arin?" He asked, surprisingly straight to the point.

"Barely."

He finished the remaining drink in Yoonjung's cup and whispered next to her ear, "watch out for her."

"Yah. What are you doing?" Kang pushed Myungsoo away from Yoonjung.

She barely noticed the conversation between the two guys after that. All she could think about was what Myungsoo said. 

"What's wrong?" Kang asked. 

"Do you want to dance?" She took his hand and dragged him to the dancefloor before he could even answer. 

It was either the effect of the alcohol or just simply stupidity, but what she did next, was something she had never done before, nor did she ever imagine doing it. She pulled his head down and kissed him. 

Kang was shocked for a bare second, but he quickly responded by pulling her closer to his body by wrapping his hands around her waist. Just like that, they were kissing in the middle of the dance floor, not caring about people around them.

 

-----

 

"Are you okay?" Kang kneeled down in front of Yoonjung. She was sitting on the staircase with her head lowered down. 

She shook her head, cursing Heejin in her head for making her drink so much shots. 

"Let me call taxi." Kang took out his phone. That's when she realised she didn't have hers. 

"My... phone..." she barely managed to say that without vomitting. 

"Where is it?" 

"Heejin." Yoonjung answered. Earlier, Heejin wanted to get Myungsoo's number, but he already left so she copied his number from Yoonjung's phone, who got it directly from Myungsoo.

"Can you just get it tomorrow from her?" 

She shook her head. "I have delivery in the morning. I need my phone to register."

Kang stood up, placing both hands on his hip, deep in thought. He wanted to go inside to get the phone, but he didn't want to leave Yoonjung alone.

"Can you help me get it from her? Don't worry about me, I wait for you here."

"But..."

"Please..." she reached out and held his hand while looking up at him with begging eyes. 

"Fine." Kang sighed. "Don't move ok? I will be back in one minute." 

He ran back inside the club within seconds.

Yoonjung pulled her knees close to her body and buried head in between them. She felt more nauseous then drunk. She wished she was drunk. At least that way, she wouldn't remember the next day. She wanted to forget the things that she heard that night. 

Watch out for her....

What does it even mean? Is he still in love with her? It is true that we didn't start this relationship with feelings for each other, but it didn't mean that he was still in love with Arin, right? or is he...

"Hi." 

Yoonjung titled her head just a little and she saw a pair of legs standing next to where she was sitting.

"Are you okay? Do you need help?" the man asked. He was wearing leather jacket and shiny black shoes, looking fancy.

"I'm ok." she waved him off.

"It looks like you need help. Where is your home? I can take you there. My car is parked just there." he pointed towards the red porsche that was parked on the other side of the road.

"No, thanks." 

"or do you need taxi? I can wait with you here." he sat down next to her, "It's not safe for you to stay here alone."

Yoonjung stood up but he grabbed her hand, stopping her from leaving.

"Where are you going? I am not a bad guy. I just wanted to help you."

"I told you I don't need help."

"Yeah, but you don't have to be rude." 

"Can you let me go, please?" Yoonjung asked. 

He got up and stood close to her, "I was right... you are so beautiful."

"I said, let me go." Yoonjung twisted his hand and he shrieked in pain. She released his hand and he bent down in pain while shaking his hand

"You b****!" he raised his fist but Yoonjung managed to dodge him. He swung his hand for another attempt to hit her, but this time someone caught his hand before it could even get close to Yoonjung's face. 

Kang held the man's with one hand and punched his face using the other. 

"f*** off." Kang said while pulling Yoonjung behind him. 

The man spat out and left, at least he was smart enough to do just that. 

Kang turned around and held her face on his hand, "Are you okay? did he hurt you?"

"No." she shook her head. 

"I'm sorry. Heejin was too drunk to remember where she put your phone. It was not in her bag, so we had to search for a while. But I found it already." he held up Yoonjung's phone. 

"Thanks." she smiled and took the phone from him.

"Are you really okay?" he asked again.

She nodded, "I am." 

"Ok, let's go home." He stopped a taxi that happened to be dropping off someone just a second before. He helped Yoonjung in first before going to the other side to get on the taxi. 

Yoonjung rested her head on his shoulder, hoping the taxi will reach soon. The drive didn't help with her nausea. 

"Can I ask you something?" Kang asked a few minutes in.

"of course." Yoonjung answered without moving.

"Just now. I saw you twisted the man's arm. you even dodged his punch. How did you do that?"

"Seojoon taught me. He teaches taekwondo."

"I see." he took her hand in his and squeezed it. "I shouldn't have left you. I am sorry."

Yoonjug sat up straight. "Please don't apologise. I am ok, I wasn't hurt or anything."

"Still. He is a man, no matter what, he is still stronger than you. Not to mention he was drunk. It could've gone very wrong."

"Hey." Yoonjung touched his face. "I can take care of myself. I have been doing that for a very long time."

"I have not doubt that you can, but you don't have to, not anymore." Kang said gently, "promise me that you will let me take care of you."

She smiled. "I'll try." 

She won't. The last time she let herself completely reliant on someone, it didn't end well, and it took her a very long time to get herself back. She almost have it all back now, and she has no plan of giving it away again.

 

 

--------------------------------